Activism Discussion: The Secret Right-Wing Network Behind ABC's 9/11 Deception

The Secret Right-Wing Network Behind ABC's 9/11 Deception

Williams
2006-09-08 22:29:28 EST
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-blumenthal/discover-the-secret-right_b_29015.html

Less than 72 hours before ABC's "The Path to 9/11" is scheduled to air,
the network is suddenly under siege. On Tuesday, ABC was forced to
concede that "The Path to 9/11" is "a dramatization, not a
documentary." The film deceptively invents scenes to depict former
President Bill Clinton's handling of the Al Qaeda threat.

Now, ABC claims to be is editing those false sequences to satisfy
critics so the show can go on -- even if it still remains a gross
distortion of history. And as it does so, ABC advances the illusion
that the deceptive nature of "The Path to 9/11" is an honest mistake
committed by a hardworking but admittedly fumbling team of
well-intentioned Hollywood professionals who wanted nothing less than
to entertain America. But this is another Big Lie.

In fact, "The Path to 9/11" is produced and promoted by a well-honed
propaganda operation consisting of a network of little-known
right-wingers working from within Hollywood to counter its supposedly
liberal bias. This is the network within the ABC network. Its godfather
is far right activist David Horowitz, who has worked for more than a
decade to establish a right-wing presence in Hollywood and to discredit
mainstream film and TV production. On this project, he is working with
a secretive evangelical religious right group founded by The Path to
9/11's director David Cunningham that proclaims its goal to "transform
Hollywood" in line with its messianic vision.

Before The Path to 9/11 entered the production stage, Disney/ABC
contracted David Cunningham as the film's director. Cunningham is no
ordinary Hollywood journeyman. He is in fact the son of Loren
Cunningham, founder of the right-wing evangelical group Youth With A
Mission (YWAM). The young Cunningham helped found an auxiliary of his
father's group called The Film Institute (TFI), which, according to its
mission statement, is "dedicated to a Godly transformation and
revolution TO and THROUGH the Film and Televisionindustry." As part of
TFI's long-term strategy, Cunningham helped place interns from Youth
With A Mission's in film industry jobs "so that they can begin to
impact and transform Hollywood from the inside out," according to a
YWAM report.

Last June, Cunningham's TFI announced it was producing its first film,
mysteriously titled "Untitled History Project." "TFI's first project is
a doozy," a newsletter to YWAM members read. "Simply being referred to
as: The Untitled History Project, it is already being called the
television event of the decade and not one second has been put to film
yet. Talk about great expectations!" (A web edition of the newsletter
was mysteriously deleted yesterday but has been cached on Google at the
link above).

The following month, on July 28, the New York Post reported that ABC
was filming a mini-series "under a shroud of secrecy" about the 9/11
attacks. "At the moment, ABC officials are calling the miniseries
'Untitled Commission Report' and producers refer to it as the 'Untitled
History Project,'" the Post noted.

Early on, Cunningham had recruited a young Iranian-American
screenwriter named Cyrus Nowrasteh to write the script of his secretive
"Untitled" film. Not only is Nowrasteh an outspoken conservative, he is
also a fervent member of the emerging network of right-wing people
burrowing into the film industry with ulterior sectarian political and
religious agendas, like Cunningham.

Nowrasteh's conservatism was on display when he appeared as a featured
speaker at the Liberty Film Festival (LFF), an annual event founded in
2004 to premier and promote conservative-themed films supposedly too
"politically incorrect" to gain acceptance at mainstream film
festivals. This June, while The Path to 9/11 was being filmed, LFF
founders Govindini Murty and Jason Apuzzo -- both friends of Nowrasteh
-- announced they were "partnering" with right-wing activist David
Horowitz. Indeed, the 2006 LFF is listed as "A Program of the David
Horowitz Freedom Center."

Since the inauguration of Bill Clinton in 1992, Horowitz has labored to
create a network of politically active conservatives in Hollywood. His
Hollywood nest centers around his Wednesday Morning Club, a weekly
meet-and-greet session for Left Coast conservatives that has been
graced with speeches by the likes of Newt Gingrich, Victor Davis Hanson
and Christopher Hitchens. The group's headquarters are at the offices
of Horowitz's Center for the Study of Popular Culture, a "think tank"
bankrolled for years with millions by right-wing sugardaddies like
eccentric far right billionaire Richard Mellon Scaife. (Scaife financed
the Arkansas Project, a $2.3 million dirty tricks operation that
included paying sources for negative stories about Bill Clinton that
turned out to be false.)

With the LFF now under Horowitz's control, his political machine began
drumming up support for Cunningham and Nowrasteh's "Untitled" project,
which finally was revealed in late summer as "The Path to 9/11."
Horowitz's PR blitz began with an August 16 interview with Nowrasteh on
his FrontPageMag webzine. In the interview, Nowrasteh foreshadowed the
film's assault on Clinton's record on fighting terror. "The 9/11 report
details the Clinton's administration's response -- or lack of response
-- to Al Qaeda and how this emboldened Bin Laden to keep attacking
American interests," Nowrasteh told FrontPageMag's Jamie Glazov. "There
simply was no response. Nothing."

A week later, ABC hosted LFF co-founder Murty and several other
conservative operatives at an advance screening of The Path to 9/11.
(While ABC provided 900 DVDs of the film to conservatives, Clinton
administration officials and objective reviewers from mainstream
outlets were denied them.) Murty returned with a glowing review for
FrontPageMag that emphasized the film's partisan nature. "'The Path to
9/11' is one of the best, most intelligent, most pro-American
miniseries I've ever seen on TV, and conservatives should support it
and promote it as vigorously as possible," Murty wrote. As a result of
the special access granted by ABC, Murty's article was the first
published review of The Path to 9/11, preceding those by the New York
Times and LA Times by more than a week.

Murty followed her review with a blast email to conservative websites
such as Liberty Post and Free Republic on September 1 urging their
readers to throw their weight behind ABC's mini-series. "Please do
everything you can to spread the word about this excellent miniseries,"
Murty wrote, "so that 'The Path to 9/11' gets the highest ratings
possible when it airs on September 10 & 11! If this show gets huge
ratings, then ABC will be more likely to produce pro-American movies
and TV shows in the future!"

Murty's efforts were supported by Appuzo, who handles LFF's
heavily-trafficked blog, Libertas. Appuzo was instrumental in marketing
The Path to 9/11 to conservatives, writing in a blog post on September
2, "Make no mistake about what this film does, among other things: it
places the question of the Clinton Administration's culpability for the
9/11 attacks front and center... Bravo to Cyrus Nowrasteh and David
Cunningham for creating this gritty, stylish and gripping piece of
entertainment."

When a group of leading Senate Democrats sent a letter to ABC CEO
Robert Iger urging him to cancel The Path to 9/11 because of its
glaring factual errors and distortions, Apuzzo launched a retaliatory
campaign to paint the Democrats as foes of free speech. "Here at
LIBERTAS we urge the public to make noise over this, and to demand that
Democrats back down," he wrote on September 7th. "What is at stake is
nothing short of the 1st Amendment."

At FrontPageMag, Horowitz singled out Nowrasteh as the victim. "The
attacks by former president Bill Clinton, former Clinton Administration
officials and Democratic US senators on Cyrus Nowrasteh's ABC
mini-series "The Path to 9/11" are easily the gravest and most brazen
and damaging governmental attacks on the civil liberties of ordinary
Americans since 9/11," Horowitz declared.

Now, as discussion grows over the false character of The Path to 9/11,
the right-wing network that brought it to fruition is ratcheting up its
PR efforts. Murty will appear tonight on CNN's Glenn Beck show and The
Situation Room, according to Libertas in order to respond to "the major
disinformation campaign now being run by Democrats to block the truth
about what actually happened during the Clinton years."

While this network claims its success and postures as the true victims,
the ABC network suffers a PR catastrophe. It's almost as though it was
complacent about an attack on its reputation by a band of political
terrorists.

Republicans *RULE* Under God Almighty!
2006-09-09 09:48:53 EST

Republicans *RULE* Under God Almighty!
2006-09-09 10:21:48 EST

S*@aol.com
2006-09-09 13:49:26 EST

Williams wrote:

garbage snipped

We need many more right wing media outlets to defeat the liberal
godless humanist networks like CBS, ABC, NBC and CNN. For years
they've lied and spread falsehoods. Finally people like Rather and
Mapes are being caught in those lies. This country needs to get as far
right as we can so we can defeat the Godless ACLU liberal types that
want to sell us out to the Isalmic terrorists. Why doesn't OBL start
targeting the Kennedy's of the world. When are these old farts like
Kennedy, Leahey, Byrd and Rockefeller going to die. They're so old
what keeps them going. The lid has been blown off of Clinton. We all
know he had 8 years to get OBL whereas Bush had 8 months. Tell me who
had more time and did nothing.

Republicans Making Liberals *PAY* In Spades!
2006-09-09 14:59:27 EST

`

David
2006-09-09 15:04:52 EST
On 9 Sep 2006 18:59:27 -0000, Republicans Making Liberals *PAY* In
Spades! <anon@comments.header> wrote:

You do realize that no one ever reads you past this line, right...?

Green Clogs
2006-09-09 15:31:09 EST
David wrote:

> On 9 Sep 2006 18:59:27 -0000, Republicans Making Liberals *PAY* In
> Spades! <anon@comments.header> wrote:

> You do realize that no one ever reads you past this line, right...?

I don;t even get that far. The killfile is your friend :-)

Ubiquitous
2006-09-10 00:15:13 EST

Troll O Meter

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
| | | | | | | | | | |
^

T*@yahoo.com
2006-09-10 02:53:57 EST
Do you remember when Richard Nixon did this? But he was a piker
compared to what's going on now with the dems in congress..

Remember how George W. Bush was being referred to as a dictator? He
wants to violate everybody's freedoms. He wants to violate civil
rights. He wants to violate human rights. He wants to spy on you with a
domestic spy program. He's been called Hitler and so forth. This
miniseries, this docudrama, criticizes both sides. The irony here is
the Clinton administration and the Bush administration, both sides did
not react the same way. President Bush, who is labeled a near dictator,
has not said a word about the program, hasn't asked for it to be
killed, hasn't asked for it to be recut. Former President Clinton, who
we are always told is the greatest president since FDR, did do both
those things. He did call Iger last Friday, by the way. He called Iger
personally before this four-page letter that Bruce Lindsey actually
wrote, was mailed to Iger and Disney this week. You know, these guys
are beyond description.

William December Starr
2006-09-10 09:16:20 EST
In article <1157824166.074397.319750@d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
S*4@aol.com said:

> We need many more right wing media outlets to defeat the liberal
> godless humanist networks like CBS, ABC, NBC and CNN. For years
> they've lied and spread falsehoods. Finally people like Rather and
> Mapes are being caught in those lies. This country needs to get
> as far right as we can so we can defeat the Godless ACLU liberal
> types that want to sell us out to the Isalmic terrorists.

Okay, you aren't even sane...

--
William December Starr <wdstarr@panix.com>