Activism Discussion: Icarus Says "bipartisan" While Americans Say "BYE Partisans!"

Icarus Says "bipartisan" While Americans Say "BYE Partisans!"

8ackgr0und N015e
2006-11-10 21:23:38 EST
When you examine the data,
(http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/bop/) there is only one
word that accurately describes the midterm results. The word is
*MANDATE*.

When you look at the turnovers at the federal and state level, it
wasn't even close. Republicans got ZERO. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Nuthin.
Not.A.Single.One.

55% of Americans voted against Republicans running for Congress.
59% of Americans voted against Republicans in Senate contests.
62% of Americans voted against Republicans running for governor.

Adding insult to injury, Independents broke 2 to 1 for Democratic
candidates.

This thumping will leave a mark. Bush might have avoided Icarus' fate
if he had spent more time in the reality-based world. Icarus can make
all the noise he wants about bi-partisan intentions. No one is
listening. Here's the beauty of this victory: Armed with a popular
mandate that spans the nation, our job is simple. We have to keep the
Corrupt Bastards grounded in reality and put cement shoes on the
neo-cons, their apologists, shills, and cronies.

I could put up a laundry list of items I think we need to work on, but
I won't. Instead, I will take a step back and repeat a strategic
perspective I've shared before: Democrats need to be clear, consistent,
committed and credible. In the past, I have championed that strategy
as critical to winning. It is also critical to leading. As long as we
do that, I am comfortable with the wisdom of our collective decision
making.

1) Clarity matters:
We are here to protect and defend the Constitution.

2) Consistency matters:
We are here to uphold the rule of law.

3) Commitment matters:
We are here to leave a legacy worth inheriting.

4) Credibility matters:
We are here to return transparency to government.

Democrats do not have to be timid here. The Corrupt Bastards had their
accountability moment, and lost -- Big Time. Now we have a MANDATE.
However, that is only useful if we use it. Moreover, we must never
lose sight of the fact that we won because Independents broke 2 to 1
for Democrats.

Democrats have to deliver real change. If we are going to turn that
mandate into a public trust, we need to prove there is a material
difference between Democrats and Republicans. That is not just a
matter of words, spin, positioning, framing, or slogans. We have to be
committed to demonstrating that difference every day -- clearly,
consistently, and credibly. I believe it all boils down to the
difference in how Democrats and Republicans define a single word:

OVERSIGHT

Exercising oversight (as opposed to pretending things were missed due
to oversight) is going to be a constant battle. I believe that is why
Americans sent Democrats to the House, the Senate, and the Governor's
Mansion. I know a lot of folks are fried from the last few weeks; so
rest up, eat your Wheaties, and don't forget to Give Thanks this year
for all the folks who helped us reclaim our country.

We'll be here when you get back.

Felix D.
2006-11-10 22:01:26 EST

"8ackgr0und N015e" <background.static@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Democrats do not have to be timid here. The Corrupt Bastards had their
> accountability moment, and lost -- Big Time. Now we have a MANDATE.

No, you don't. Tuesday's results aren't going to automatically change the
nation's direction as if we were a flock of birds, nor does it signal the
start of the Age of Aquarius. The Dems won by running a lot of DINO's, and
if you're a single issue voter (as I am ) and that issue happens to be
firearms ownership, then the Second Amendment did very well indeed.
Fifty-Four of the newly elected Dems are "blue dogs" and they like guns,
don't care for abortion, and are ready to cut the size of government. These
are the new Zell Millers in the party, and Pelosi dares not ignore them.

Plus, states that had lefty social issues on the ballot voted them down:
four states said no to gay marriage, and Michigan did away with affirmative
action. Lots of punitive tax measures (especially the ones in California)
also went down.

You have a mandate, and that mandate is simple: cut the shit, put up a
program, and sell it to the people. You'll know if it works two years from
now.

8ackgr0und N015e
2006-11-10 22:27:30 EST

Felix D. wrote:
> "8ackgr0und N015e" <background.static@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Democrats do not have to be timid here. The Corrupt Bastards had their
> > accountability moment, and lost -- Big Time. Now we have a MANDATE.
>
> No, you don't.

Oh yes we do. NOT ONE REPUBLICAN WON A TURNOVER...

Not a single Senator
Not a single Representative
Not a single Governor

That's a shut out.

That's a mandate for change.

PLMerite
2006-11-11 00:02:39 EST

> Felix D. wrote:
>> "8ackgr0und N015e" <background.static@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Democrats do not have to be timid here. The Corrupt Bastards had their
>> > accountability moment, and lost -- Big Time. Now we have a MANDATE.
>>
>> No, you don't.
>
> Oh yes we do. NOT ONE REPUBLICAN WON A TURNOVER...
>
> Not a single Senator
> Not a single Representative
> Not a single Governor
>
> That's a shut out.
>
> That's a mandate for change.

It'll be quick two years and gone for you guys then.

Regards, PLMerite

Carl Nisarel
2006-11-11 08:03:37 EST
Go gcreime na p\ufffdisteoga do cheann "Morton Davis" <antikerry@go.com>:

> Time for something other than the lies and bullshit that got them this
> far.

Nah, the Bush Administration will continue with the lies and bullshit.

Morton Davis
2006-11-11 08:03:54 EST

"Felix D." <#1Chekist@OGPU.net> wrote in message

> "8ackgr0und N015e" <background.static@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Democrats do not have to be timid here. The Corrupt Bastards had their
> > accountability moment, and lost -- Big Time. Now we have a MANDATE.
>
> No, you don't. Tuesday's results aren't going to automatically change the
> nation's direction as if we were a flock of birds, nor does it signal the
> start of the Age of Aquarius. The Dems won by running a lot of DINO's, and
> if you're a single issue voter (as I am ) and that issue happens to be
> firearms ownership, then the Second Amendment did very well indeed.
> Fifty-Four of the newly elected Dems are "blue dogs" and they like guns,
> don't care for abortion, and are ready to cut the size of government.
These
> are the new Zell Millers in the party, and Pelosi dares not ignore them.
>
> Plus, states that had lefty social issues on the ballot voted them down:
> four states said no to gay marriage, and Michigan did away with
affirmative
> action. Lots of punitive tax measures (especially the ones in California)
> also went down.
>
> You have a mandate, and that mandate is simple: cut the shit, put up a
> program, and sell it to the people. You'll know if it works two years from
> now.

Yup. Time for something other than the lies and bullshit that got them this
far.

8ackgr0und N015e
2006-11-11 15:10:03 EST

PLMerite wrote:
> "8ackgr0und N015e" <background.static@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Felix D. wrote:
> >> "8ackgr0und N015e" <background.static@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> No, you don't.
> >
> > Oh yes we do. NOT ONE REPUBLICAN WON A TURNOVER...
> >
> > Not a single Senator
> > Not a single Representative
> > Not a single Governor
> >
> > That's a shut out.
> >
> > That's a mandate for change.
>

> It'll be quick two years and gone for you guys then.
>

> Regards, PLMerite

I'll quote you on that :)

8ackgr0und N015e
2006-11-11 15:10:04 EST

PLMerite wrote:
> "8ackgr0und N015e" <background.static@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Felix D. wrote:
> >> "8ackgr0und N015e" <background.static@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> No, you don't.
> >
> > Oh yes we do. NOT ONE REPUBLICAN WON A TURNOVER...
> >
> > Not a single Senator
> > Not a single Representative
> > Not a single Governor
> >
> > That's a shut out.
> >
> > That's a mandate for change.
>

> It'll be quick two years and gone for you guys then.
>

> Regards, PLMerite

I'll quote you on that :)

Felix D.
2006-11-12 15:40:29 EST

> PLMerite wrote:
>> "8ackgr0und N015e" <background.static@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Oh yes we do. NOT ONE REPUBLICAN WON A TURNOVER...
>> >
>> > Not a single Senator
>> > Not a single Representative
>> > Not a single Governor
>> >
>> > That's a shut out.
>> >
>> > That's a mandate for change.
>>

>> It'll be quick two years and gone for you guys then.
>>

>> Regards, PLMerite
>
> I'll quote you on that :)

You said this before. Are you worried already? LOL!

Felix D.
2006-11-12 15:42:35 EST

"Morton Davis" <antikerry@go.com> wrote in message

> "Felix D." <#1Chekist@OGPU.net> wrote in message

>> You have a mandate, and that mandate is simple: cut the shit, put up a
>> program, and sell it to the people. You'll know if it works two years
>> from
>> now.
>>
> Yup. Time for something other than the lies and bullshit that got them
> this
> far.

Abortion, affirmative action, gay rights, gun control. These are the four
issues that drive the Dems and they won't be able to resist advancing these
"causes." Luckily, their "supermajority" rule for the Senate is in place.