Activism Discussion: The Conspiracy That Wasn't

The Conspiracy That Wasn't

Gregory Elich
2006-12-18 21:22:51 EST
Le Monde diplomatique
December 2006

http://mondediplo.com/2006/12/02conspiracy

Distractions from awful reality

THE CONSIPIRACY THAT WASN'T

The left in the United States remains distracted by fantastic stories about
conpiracies hatched by the Bush administration: in many of these, even the
9/11 attacks are believed to have been an inside job. Yet the chief, and
most fearful, characteristic of the Bush administration has been its low
level of practical management abroad and at home.

By Alexander Cockburn

Where was the American left in the recent campaign that ended in the
recapture of both houses of Congress by the Democrats on 7 November? Was it
in the streets fomenting opposition to the war in Iraq? No, the antiwar
movement has been inert for months. When I was asked to give the keynote
speech at a rare antiwar rally in my local town in October, three of my five
fellow orators didn\ufffdt mention the war at all.

Instead they numbed the audience and sharply diminished its size with
interminable dissections of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Centre
towers and the Pentagon. Their aim was to argue that the attacks were an
inside job organised by President George Bush and Vice President Dick
Cheney, or (a frequent variation on the theme) by darker powers for which
Bush and Cheney are mere errand boys.

Five years after the attacks, 9/11 \ufffdconspiracism\ufffd has penetrated deep into
the left in the US. It is also widespread on the libertarian and populist
right, which is scarcely surprising since the United States populist right
instinctively mistrusts government to a far greater degree than the left,
and matches conspiracies to its demon of preference, whether the Internal
Revenue Service, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the United Nations
\ufffd black helicopters (1) or the Jews.

These days a dwindling number of leftists learn their political economy from
Marx. Into the theoretical and strategic void has crept a diffuse,
peripatetic conspiracist view of the world that tends to locate ruling class
devilry not in the crises of capital accumulation, the falling rate of
profit, or inter-imperial competition, but in locale \ufffd the Bohemian Grove,
Bilderberg, Ditchley, Davos (2) \ufffd or supposedly \ufffdrogue\ufffd agencies, with the
CIA still at the head of the list. The 9/11 \ufffdconspiracy\ufffd is the summa of all
this foolishness.

You trip over a fundamental idiocy of the 9/11 conspiracists in the first
paragraph of a book by one of their high priests, David Ray Griffin: \ufffdIn
many respects,\ufffd Griffin writes, \ufffdthe strongest evidence provided by critics
of the official account involves the events of 9/11 itself . . . In light of
standard procedures for dealing with hijacked airplanes . . . not one of
these planes should have reached its target, let alone all three of them\ufffd
(3).

A preposterous belief
The operative word here is \ufffdshould\ufffd. A central characteristic of the
conspiracists is that they have a devout, preposterous belief in US
efficiency. Many of them start with the racist premise, frequently voiced in
as many words in their writings, that \ufffdArabs in caves\ufffd weren\ufffdt capable of
the mission. They believe that military systems should work the way Pentagon
press flacks and aerospace salesmen say they should work. They believe that
at 8.14am, when AA flight 11 switched off its radio and transponder, an FAA
flight controller should have called the National Military Command centre
and Norad. To quote Griffin, they believe, citing reverently \ufffdthe US Air
Force\ufffds own website\ufffd, that an F-15 could have intercepted AA flight 11 \ufffdby
8.24, and certainly no later than 8.30\ufffd.

They appear to have read no military history, which is too bad because if
they had they would know that minutely planned operations, let alone
by-the-book responses to an unprecedented emergency, screw up with
monotonous regularity by reason of stupidity, cowardice, venality and all
the other failings, including sudden changes in the weather.

According to the minutely prepared plans of the Strategic Air Command (SAC),
an impending Soviet attack would have prompted missile silos in north Dakota
to open, and their ICBMs to arc towards Moscow and kindred targets. However,
the four test launches attempted all failed, whereupon the SAC gave up
testing. Was it badly designed equipment, human incompetence, defence
contractor venality or . . . conspiracy?

Did President Jimmy Carter\ufffds April 1980 effort to rescue hostages taken in
the US embassy in Tehran fail because a sandstorm disabled three of the
eight helicopters or because the helicopters were poorly made or because
agents of Ronald Reagan and the Republican National Committee (seven months
before the US presidential elections) poured sugar into their gas tanks in a
conspiracy? Does Mr Cohen in his store at the end of the block hike his
prices because he wants to make a buck or because his rent went up or
because the Jews want to take over the world?

Some photos of the impact of the \ufffdobject\ufffd \ufffd the Boeing 757, flight 77, which
hit the Pentagon \ufffd seem to show the sort of hole a missile might make. Ergo,
757 didn\ufffdt hit the Pentagon. A missile did. And in some photographs, that
wasn\ufffdt smoke obscuring a larger rupture in the fortified Pentagon wall.

Chuck Spinney, now retired after years of brilliant government service
exposing the Pentagon\ufffds budgetary outrages, told me: \ufffdThere are pictures
taken of the plane hitting the Pentagon \ufffd they were taken by the
surveillance cameras at Pentagon\ufffds heliport, which was right next to impact
point. I have seen them . . . both stills and moving pictures. I just missed
seeing it personally, but the driver of the van I just got out of in South
Parking saw it so closely that he could see the terrified faces of
passengers in windows. I knew two people who were on the plane. One was ID\ufffdd
by dental remains found in the Pentagon.\ufffd

Immune to reality checks
This won\ufffdt faze the conspiracists. They\ufffdre immune to any reality check:
Spinney worked for the government, they switched the dental records, the
Boeing 757 was flown to Nebraska for a rendezvous with Bush, who shot the
passengers, burned the bodies on the tarmac and gave the teeth of Spinney\ufffds
friend to Dick Cheney to drop through a hole in his trousers amid the debris
in the Pentagon.

Hundreds of people saw the plane, people who know the difference between a
plane and a cruise missile. The wreckage of the plane was hauled from the
site. Why does the obvious have to be proved? Would those who were wounded
or who lost friends and colleagues that day assist in the cover up of a
missile strike? Why risk using a missile, when you had a plane in the air
and (to take the bizarre construct of the conspiracists) had successfully
crashed by remote control into far more difficult targets, the WTC Towers?

What do we make of Osama bin Laden taking credit for the attacks? That he is
still on the CIA payroll? And so it goes, on and on into the murk. But to
what end? To prove that Bush and Cheney are capable of almost anything? Even
though they haven\ufffdt shown the slightest degree of competence in anything?
They couldn\ufffdt even manufacture \ufffdweapons of mass destruction\ufffd after US troops
had invaded Iraq, when any box labelled WMD would have been happily
photographed by the embedded press as conclusive testimony of the existence
of WMDs.

The Democrats\ufffd victory in the midterm US elections may help to remind the
left that Bush and Cheney are not that much different from the politicians
and overlords of US foreign policy who preceded them or will follow them.
There was already a bipartisan consensus about Israel and Iraq. What the
9/11 conspiracists want us to believe is that the Bush/Cheney gang represent
a new breed of evil, which might be the most dangerous deception of all, for
it fosters the fantasy that a new administration, a Hillary Clinton or Al
Gore administration, would pursue more humane policies.

The Twin Towers didn\ufffdt fall down because they were badly built as a
consequence of corruption, incompetence, regulatory evasions by the Port
Authority and because they had been struck by huge planes loaded with jet
fuel. No, shout the conspiracists, they pancaked because scores of Cheney\ufffds
agents methodically planted demolition charges in the days preceding 9/11: a
conspiracy of thousands, all of whom have held their tongues ever since,
despite being party to mass murder.

Occam\ufffds razor
If the evidence allows for several explanations to a given problem then the
hypothesis with the fewest assumptions is most probably correct. This
principle is called Occam\ufffds Razor, after the 14th-century English logician
and Franciscan friar, William of Ockham. There is not the slightest need to
postulate pre-placed explosive charges to explain why the towers collapsed
at near free-fall speeds. Practical aspects of explosive demolitions make
the explosive charge hypothesis improbable to the point of absurdity (see
\ufffdConspiracy disproved\ufffd).

There are plenty of real conspiracies in the US. Why make up fake ones?
Every few years, property tsars and the city government in New York conspire
to withhold fire company responses so that enough of a neighbourhood burns
down for the poor to quit and profitable gentrification to ensue. That is a
conspiracy to commit ethnic cleansing, and also murder. It is happening
today in Brooklyn, even as similar ethnic cleansing and gentrification is
scheduled in San Francisco, where Bayview Hunters Point is the last large
black community in the Bay Area, sitting on beautiful waterfront property:
so now is the time to move the black folks out.

The conspiracy virus is not new. Let me recall. The Russians couldn\ufffdt
possibly have built an A-bomb without Commie traitors. Hitler was a victim
of treachery, otherwise he couldn\ufffdt have been defeated by the Red Army
marching across eastern Europe and half Germany. JFK couldn\ufffdt have been shot
by Lee Harvey Oswald, it had to be the CIA. There is no end to examples
seeking to prove that Russians, Arabs, Viet Cong, Japanese, whoever, couldn\ufffd
t possibly match the brilliance and cunning of secret cabals of white
Christians.

Some discover a silver lining in 9/11 conspiracism. A politically
sophisticated leftist in Washington DC wrote to me agreeing with my ridicule
of the inside job scenarios but adding: \ufffdTo me the most interesting thing
(in the US) is how many people are willing to believe that Bush either
masterminded it [the 9/11 attacks] or knew in advance and let it happen. If
that number or anything close to that is true, that\ufffds a huge base of people
that are more than deeply cynical about their elected officials. That would
be the real news story that the media is missing, and it\ufffds a big one.\ufffd

\ufffdI\ufffdm not sure I see the silver lining about cynicism re government,\ufffd I
answered. \ufffdIt seems to demobilise people from useful political activity.\ufffd
For the conspiracism stems from despair and political infantilism. There\ufffds
no worthwhile energy to transfer from such kookery.

Richard Aldrich\ufffds book on British intelligence (4) describes how a report
for the Pentagon on declassification recommended that \ufffdinteresting
declassified material\ufffd such as information about the JFK assassination
\ufffdcould be released and even posted on the internet, as a diversion\ufffd and used
to \ufffdreduce the unrestrained public appetite for secrets by providing good
faith distraction material\ufffd. He added: \ufffdIf investigative journalists and
contemporary historians were absorbed with the vexatious, but rather tired,
debates over the grassy knoll, they would not be busy probing into areas
where they were unwelcome.\ufffd

I am therefore sure that the Bush gang, and all the real conspirators of
Washington, are delighted at the obsessions of the 9/11 conspiracists. It\ufffds
a distraction from the 1,001 real plots of capitalism that demand exposure
and political challenge. As Theodore Adorno wrote: \ufffdThe tendency to
occultism is a symptom of regression in consciousness\ufffd (5).

Alexander Cockburn is co-editor of the political newsletter and website
\ufffdCounterPunch\ufffd and co-author of \ufffdEnd Times: the Decline and Fall of the
Fourth Estate\ufffd (CounterPunch, forthcoming 2007)

(1) In a 1987 television series the Russians, disguised as UN forces, were
to occupy the US within 10 years.

(2) Bohemian Grove, name of the select club close to San Francisco where
Nixon, Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton and Tony Blair all met; the annual
Bilderburg group meeting, from the name of its first venue in 1954 in the
Hotel de Bilderberg in the Netherlands; Ditchley, an Anglo-American
foundation named after its original English country house home; and Davos,
home of the annual World Economic Forum.

(3) David Ray Griffin, The New Pearl Harbor, Olive Branch Press,
Northampton, Mass. 2004.

(4) Richard J Aldrich, The Hidden Hand, Overlook Press, New York, 2002.

(5) Theodor Wiesengrund Adorno, Minima Moralia, Verso, London, 1978.

Intriguing Web Sites
2006-12-19 07:57:33 EST

"Gregory Elich" <gelich@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Le Monde diplomatique
> December 2006
>
> http://mondediplo.com/2006/12/02conspiracy
>
> Distractions from awful reality
>
> THE CONSIPIRACY THAT WASN'T
>
> The left in the United States remains distracted by fantastic stories
> about
> conpiracies hatched by the Bush administration:

I don't know about conspiracies, but there were corrupt harassment tactics
developed in America during the Cold War for use against anti-government
activists in America. The Bush Administration might still allow such
harassment against certain citizens it based on political viewpoints.

Either that, or the Bush Administration doesn't know how to prevent and stop
those corrupt harassment activities when they are engaged in by corrupt
local police unions, wealthy capitalist organizations, and similar. I know
how.

I've studied those corrupt harassment techniques for over ten years. I've
developed ways to counter and prevent those corrupt tactics without breaking
any laws. In fact, simply by using the law. All with facts, not opinion or
speculation.

Stan De SD
2006-12-23 15:47:18 EST

"Intriguing web sites" <sites@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Gregory Elich" <gelich@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Le Monde diplomatique
> > December 2006
> >
> > http://mondediplo.com/2006/12/02conspiracy
> >
> > Distractions from awful reality
> >
> > THE CONSIPIRACY THAT WASN'T
> >
> > The left in the United States remains distracted by fantastic stories
> > about
> > conpiracies hatched by the Bush administration:
>
> I don't know about conspiracies, but there were corrupt harassment tactics
> developed in America during the Cold War for use against anti-government
> activists in America.

Uh, those so-called "anti-government" activists were only anti-government in
the sense that they were anti-US government. Many of those groups were in
fact financed (directly or indirectly) by the Soviet Union, which provided
money to left-wing subversive groups in the US in order to spread mayhem and
incite violence. This has been well-documented in sources such as "The Sword
and The Shield" written by former KGB officer Vasili Mitrokhin (1999, Basic
Books, NY, ISBN 0-465-00310-9) as well as other sources. Therefore, given
that such groups were indeed functioning as agents of a hostile nation, our
government was in the right to seek active measures against them.

PerfectlyAble
2006-12-23 16:31:05 EST
Stan de SD wrote:
> "Intriguing web sites" <sites@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Gregory Elich" <gelich@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > Le Monde diplomatique
> > > December 2006
> > >
> > > http://mondediplo.com/2006/12/02conspiracy
> > >
> > > Distractions from awful reality
> > >
> > > THE CONSIPIRACY THAT WASN'T
> > >
> > > The left in the United States remains distracted by fantastic stories
> > > about
> > > conpiracies hatched by the Bush administration:
> >
> > I don't know about conspiracies, but there were corrupt harassment tactics
> > developed in America during the Cold War for use against anti-government
> > activists in America.
>
> Uh, those so-called "anti-government" activists were only anti-government in
> the sense that they were anti-US government. Many of those groups were in
> fact financed (directly or indirectly) by the Soviet Union, which provided
> money to left-wing subversive groups in the US in order to spread mayhem and
> incite violence. This has been well-documented in sources such as "The Sword
> and The Shield" written by former KGB officer Vasili Mitrokhin (1999, Basic
> Books, NY, ISBN 0-465-00310-9) as well as other sources. Therefore, given
> that such groups were indeed functioning as agents of a hostile nation, our
> government was in the right to seek active measures against them.

So which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? The labour union
or the funding from the USSR. Fact is the USSR used its
influence to bring pressure on the US government, so what!
So did the US bring pressure on the USSR by funding Islamic
Jihadism in Afganistan and draw the USSR their Vietnam.
Shit happens. Doesn't mean their ain't still geopolitical
reasons for controlling the Hindu-Kush mountians. Just
as they are good reasons workers strike for better pay,
or disabled people rally for better outcomes, or blacks
march on Washington for handouts because they don't
want to let go of their historical inequalities just quite yet
(the chinese suffered just as badly in America and they
many are very rich and confident!, the values of Black
Americans is the problem, i.e. mainly too Christian).
Fact is the US weakness in the treatment of its own
citizens left the USSR open to fund groups that if believed
undemined the US (and win the USSR US citizens as
friends and later spies!).

Fact is if you did the right thing there wouldn't be activists.

M*@aol.com
2006-12-23 16:47:16 EST

PerfectlyAble wrote:
> Stan de SD wrote:
> > "Intriguing web sites" <sites@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Gregory Elich" <gelich@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> > > I don't know about conspiracies, but there were corrupt harassment tactics
> > > developed in America during the Cold War for use against anti-government
> > > activists in America.
> >
> > Uh, those so-called "anti-government" activists were only anti-government in
> > the sense that they were anti-US government. Many of those groups were in
> > fact financed (directly or indirectly) by the Soviet Union, which provided
> > money to left-wing subversive groups in the US in order to spread mayhem and
> > incite violence. This has been well-documented in sources such as "The Sword
> > and The Shield" written by former KGB officer Vasili Mitrokhin (1999, Basic
> > Books, NY, ISBN 0-465-00310-9) as well as other sources. Therefore, given
> > that such groups were indeed functioning as agents of a hostile nation, our
> > government was in the right to seek active measures against them.
>
> So which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? The labour union
> or the funding from the USSR. Fact is the USSR used its
> influence to bring pressure on the US government, so what!
> So did the US bring pressure on the USSR by funding Islamic
> Jihadism in Afganistan and draw the USSR their Vietnam.
> Shit happens. Doesn't mean their ain't still geopolitical
> reasons for controlling the Hindu-Kush mountians. Just
> as they are good reasons workers strike for better pay,
> or disabled people rally for better outcomes, or blacks
> march on Washington for handouts because they don't
> want to let go of their historical inequalities just quite yet
> (the chinese suffered just as badly in America and they
> many are very rich and confident!, the values of Black
> Americans is the problem, i.e. mainly too Christian).
> Fact is the US weakness in the treatment of its own
> citizens left the USSR open to fund groups that if believed
> undemined the US (and win the USSR US citizens as
> friends and later spies!).
>
> Fact is if you did the right thing there wouldn't be activists.

Only if you mother is a nbitch...

M*@aol.com
2006-12-23 16:47:19 EST

PerfectlyAble wrote:
> Stan de SD wrote:
> > "Intriguing web sites" <sites@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Gregory Elich" <gelich@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> > > I don't know about conspiracies, but there were corrupt harassment tactics
> > > developed in America during the Cold War for use against anti-government
> > > activists in America.
> >
> > Uh, those so-called "anti-government" activists were only anti-government in
> > the sense that they were anti-US government. Many of those groups were in
> > fact financed (directly or indirectly) by the Soviet Union, which provided
> > money to left-wing subversive groups in the US in order to spread mayhem and
> > incite violence. This has been well-documented in sources such as "The Sword
> > and The Shield" written by former KGB officer Vasili Mitrokhin (1999, Basic
> > Books, NY, ISBN 0-465-00310-9) as well as other sources. Therefore, given
> > that such groups were indeed functioning as agents of a hostile nation, our
> > government was in the right to seek active measures against them.
>
> So which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? The labour union
> or the funding from the USSR. Fact is the USSR used its
> influence to bring pressure on the US government, so what!
> So did the US bring pressure on the USSR by funding Islamic
> Jihadism in Afganistan and draw the USSR their Vietnam.
> Shit happens. Doesn't mean their ain't still geopolitical
> reasons for controlling the Hindu-Kush mountians. Just
> as they are good reasons workers strike for better pay,
> or disabled people rally for better outcomes, or blacks
> march on Washington for handouts because they don't
> want to let go of their historical inequalities just quite yet
> (the chinese suffered just as badly in America and they
> many are very rich and confident!, the values of Black
> Americans is the problem, i.e. mainly too Christian).
> Fact is the US weakness in the treatment of its own
> citizens left the USSR open to fund groups that if believed
> undemined the US (and win the USSR US citizens as
> friends and later spies!).
>
> Fact is if you did the right thing there wouldn't be activists.

Only if you mother is a nbitch...

Stan De SD
2006-12-23 19:02:15 EST

"PerfectlyAble" <jrhw@kol.co.nz> wrote in message
> Stan de SD wrote:
> > "Intriguing web sites" <sites@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Gregory Elich" <gelich@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> > > I don't know about conspiracies, but there were corrupt harassment
tactics
> > > developed in America during the Cold War for use against
anti-government
> > > activists in America.
> >
> > Uh, those so-called "anti-government" activists were only
anti-government in
> > the sense that they were anti-US government. Many of those groups were
in
> > fact financed (directly or indirectly) by the Soviet Union, which
provided
> > money to left-wing subversive groups in the US in order to spread mayhem
and
> > incite violence. This has been well-documented in sources such as "The
Sword
> > and The Shield" written by former KGB officer Vasili Mitrokhin (1999,
Basic
> > Books, NY, ISBN 0-465-00310-9) as well as other sources. Therefore,
given
> > that such groups were indeed functioning as agents of a hostile nation,
our
> > government was in the right to seek active measures against them.
>
> So which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? The labour union
> or the funding from the USSR. Fact is the USSR used its
> influence to bring pressure on the US government, so what!

The USSR actively spied, stole atomic secrets, and plotted assassination of
emigrant dissidents. That's a bit beyond merely using "influence to bring
pressure" on the US government.

> So did the US bring pressure on the USSR by funding Islamic
> Jihadism in Afganistan and draw the USSR their Vietnam.

Sure, the US backed the war effort, since it was the right thing to do.
That's a lot different from what we were discussing.

Topaz
2006-12-24 17:23:15 EST
By William Simpson,

The "Communist" despotism over Russia, which in 1917 had been set
up by Jews, financed by Jews, and ever since perhaps been manned
either by Jews of gentile "fronts" for Jews, from the beginning even
until now [1977], had always been under the control and direction of
Jewish International Finance, centered in Wall Street, New York.
Jewish Finance is as much the master of Moscow as it is of Washington,
D.C.- in both cases of course , secretly. Both serve one head as
certainly as a man's two arms and hands serve one will. The Wall
Street Money Power, which has given orders to Moscow, through many
channels but principally through the Council on Foreign Relations, the
"C.F.R."…

The saber-rattling between the US and Russia, played up in the press
and on the radio and TV the world over, has provided the justification
and the cover for pushing through one Jewish design after another.

All the present international fuss over Soviet "anti-Semitism,"
alleged Soviet persecution of Jews is nothing more than deception…

Hostility to Jews simply because they are Jews, on the part of the
Soviet Government, does not exist…

In Czechoslovakia the Minister of Justice who ordered the execution of
nine Communist Jews was Stefan Reis, recognized by the Jewish
Chronicle, a leading Jewish periodical of England, of 5th May, 1950,
as a Jew himself.

In Rumania, the Jewess Anna Parker was replaced by another Jew, A.
Bughici…

It has been the Jew-controlled U.S.A. that is chiefly responsible for
having built up the Russian regime, prevented its collapse, and
maintained it in power. Most recently, when the last Soviet famine
threatened as the result of yet another failure of collectivized
agriculture, Dr. Kissinger [himself a Jew born abroad], whose power
base is the international financial groups whose interests he has
faithfully served, rushed to Moscow to offer the necessary credits to
enable American wheat to be shipped to the Soviet Union. 700 million
dollars were provided…

American finance and industry and the American government itself (all
of which have long operated within the framework of what in the final
analysis is a Jewish Money System, and under Jewish direction), from
1918 to the present, without interruption, have contributed heavily to
the creation and the maintenance of Soviet technology, and have alone
made its development possible, and perhaps therefore even enabled the
survival of Communism itself. "There is no such thing as Soviet
technology - only American technology on Soviet soil."…

(There is much more on this in the book "None Dare Call it Treason"
which sold millions of copies in the 1960's)

Many people the world over were beginning to suspect the fact that
the Russian despotism was Jewish and pro-Jewish. And on this account,
in the stupendous climax that we are now approaching, it became of
crucial importance for the realization of Jewish aims that this
mistrust should be allayed and that world opinion should settle down
in the conclusion that Russia's Government was -anti-Jewish.

http://www.nationalvanguard.org http://www.natvan.com
http://www.thebirdman.org http://www.ihr.org/
http://wsi.matriots.com/jews.html http://www.nsm88.com/

PerfectlyAble
2006-12-24 19:41:59 EST

Stan de SD wrote:
> "PerfectlyAble" <jrhw@kol.co.nz> wrote in message
> > Stan de SD wrote:
> > > "Intriguing web sites" <sites@nospam.com> wrote in message

> stories

> tactics
> anti-government
> > >
> > > Uh, those so-called "anti-government" activists were only
> anti-government in
> > > the sense that they were anti-US government. Many of those groups were
> in
> > > fact financed (directly or indirectly) by the Soviet Union, which
> provided
> > > money to left-wing subversive groups in the US in order to spread mayhem
> and
> > > incite violence. This has been well-documented in sources such as "The
> Sword
> > > and The Shield" written by former KGB officer Vasili Mitrokhin (1999,
> Basic
> > > Books, NY, ISBN 0-465-00310-9) as well as other sources. Therefore,
> given
> > > that such groups were indeed functioning as agents of a hostile nation,
> our
> > > government was in the right to seek active measures against them.
> >
> > So which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? The labour union
> > or the funding from the USSR. Fact is the USSR used its
> > influence to bring pressure on the US government, so what!
>
> The USSR actively spied, stole atomic secrets, and plotted assassination of
> emigrant dissidents. That's a bit beyond merely using "influence to bring
> pressure" on the US government.
>
> > So did the US bring pressure on the USSR by funding Islamic
> > Jihadism in Afganistan and draw the USSR their Vietnam.
>
> Sure, the US backed the war effort, since it was the right thing to do.
> That's a lot different from what we were discussing.

"the right thing to do", would that be another of those untruthful
"invade iraq its the right thing to do"-ism.

Fact is the USSR was run by dictators who ignored the UN
and invaded soveriegn nations that had already disarmed.
Hey, exactly what Bush did! Go figure why I don't give much
crediblity to America spouting "trust me, its the right thing to do".