Activism Discussion: What The...I Thought Cuba's "revolution" Had Given Them First-rate Medical Care?!

What The...I Thought Cuba's "revolution" Had Given Them First-rate Medical Care?!

Rudy Canoza
2006-12-25 00:35:51 EST
(CNN) -- A Spanish surgeon has traveled to Havana to
consider what steps should be taken to halt the
deterioration of Cuban President Fidel Castro's health,
a Spanish newspaper reported Sunday.

Dr. Jose Luis Garcia Sabrido, chief of surgery at the
Spanish public hospital Gregorio Maranon de Madrid,
departed Thursday for Cuba aboard an airplane the Cuban
government chartered, El Periodico de Catalunya reported.

The Cuban Embassy in Spain oversaw all details of the
visit, the paper said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/12/24/castro.health/index.html

Hmm...apologists for the Cuban totalitarian state often
justify their praise by talking about the great strides
Cuba made in medical care and education. Looks as if
they've just made a few baby steps - El Caudillo seems
to need medical care from a market economy.

This reminds me of when the late Robert Bourassa, the
former Quebec premier, abandoned the the 'marvelous'
Canadian health care system and flew to the US for his
cancer treatment. What *is* it about socialized
medicine that the leaders of the places that have it
don't want to consume it?

Kenny Gg Jones
2006-12-25 00:50:06 EST
Castro outlived all his political contemporaries.

He is 80 years old.

That could just as easily say something good about the Cuban health care
system as bad.

D. Wells
2006-12-25 01:48:31 EST
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 05:50:06 GMT, kenny gg jones <"kenny gg
j*"@xyz.com> wrote:

>Castro outlived all his political contemporaries.
>
>He is 80 years old.
>
>That could just as easily say something good about the Cuban health care
>system as bad.

So what. My grandma lived to 81 and died in 1994. Does that mean
their healthcare system is typical of USA circa 1994?

Is the denial of freedom worth out-of-date healthcare quality?

Adam Whyte-Settlar
2006-12-25 04:19:54 EST

"D. Wells" <wellsfamily@insightbb.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 05:50:06 GMT, kenny gg jones <"kenny gg
> jones"@xyz.com> wrote:
>
>>Castro outlived all his political contemporaries.
>>
>>He is 80 years old.
>>
>>That could just as easily say something good about the Cuban health care
>>system as bad.
>

> So what. My grandma lived to 81 and died in 1994. Does that mean
> their healthcare system is typical of USA circa 1994?
>
> Is the denial of freedom worth out-of-date healthcare quality?

Maybe you'll find out sooner than you think.

Roger
2006-12-25 07:00:36 EST
"D. Wells" <wellsfamily@insightbb.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 05:50:06 GMT, kenny gg jones <"kenny gg
> jones"@xyz.com> wrote:
>
>>Castro outlived all his political contemporaries.
>>
>>He is 80 years old.
>>
>>That could just as easily say something good about the Cuban health care
>>system as bad.
>

> So what. My grandma lived to 81 and died in 1994. Does that mean
> their healthcare system is typical of USA circa 1994?
>
> Is the denial of freedom worth out-of-date healthcare quality?

Bush denies freedom and millions have to get their health care in ERs.

Stan De SD
2006-12-25 07:42:34 EST

"Roger" <rogerfx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "D. Wells" <wellsfamily@insightbb.net> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 05:50:06 GMT, kenny gg jones <"kenny gg
> > jones"@xyz.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Castro outlived all his political contemporaries.
> >>
> >>He is 80 years old.
> >>
> >>That could just as easily say something good about the Cuban health care
> >>system as bad.
> >

> > So what. My grandma lived to 81 and died in 1994. Does that mean
> > their healthcare system is typical of USA circa 1994?
> >
> > Is the denial of freedom worth out-of-date healthcare quality?
>
> Bush denies freedom and millions have to get their health care in ERs.

Whose freedom has been denied?

Roger
2006-12-25 08:00:28 EST
"Stan de SD" <standesd_DIGA_NO_A_SPAM@covad.net> wrote in message

> "Roger" <rogerfx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "D. Wells" <wellsfamily@insightbb.net> wrote in message

>> > So what. My grandma lived to 81 and died in 1994. Does that mean
>> > their healthcare system is typical of USA circa 1994?
>> >
>> > Is the denial of freedom worth out-of-date healthcare quality?
>>
>> Bush denies freedom and millions have to get their health care in ERs.
>
> Whose freedom has been denied?

Pay attention. In all the papers.

Branson Hunter
2006-12-25 13:07:37 EST
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 04:00:36 -0800, "Roger" <rogerfx@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Bush denies freedom and millions have to get their health care in ERs.

In Southern California, the lucky ones make are admitted to ER's. Many
ER's have been shut down and others so over crowded they turn people
away.

Branson

Part of the American psyche likes to think that whatever the people at
the top do to be successful must be good for everyone.

-- Mary Liz Thomson

Rudy Canoza
2006-12-25 13:29:55 EST
Roger wrote:
> "D. Wells" <wellsfamily@insightbb.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 05:50:06 GMT, kenny gg jones <"kenny gg
>> jones"@xyz.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Castro outlived all his political contemporaries.
>>>
>>> He is 80 years old.
>>>
>>> That could just as easily say something good about the Cuban health care
>>> system as bad.
>>
>> So what. My grandma lived to 81 and died in 1994. Does that mean
>> their healthcare system is typical of USA circa 1994?
>>
>> Is the denial of freedom worth out-of-date healthcare quality?
>
> Bush denies freedom

False.

> and millions have to get their health care in ERs.

At least it's there. Castro had to import foreign
medical talent, FORTY-SIX YEARS after his "glorious
revolution".

Rudy Canoza
2006-12-25 13:30:50 EST
kenny gg jones wrote:
> Castro outlived all his political contemporaries.
>
> He is 80 years old.
>
> That could just as easily say something good about the Cuban health care
> system as bad.

Benjamin Franklin lived into his 80s, too. Long life
is often a matter of luck.

Now that Castro needs medical care, it isn't available
in his totalitarian state. He has to import it from a
market economy.