Activism Discussion: Two Myths Of Homelessness

Two Myths Of Homelessness

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)

Rudy Canoza
2007-01-02 21:20:58 EST
1. The homeless are "just like you and me." A substantial
percentage of homeless people are ordinary people
who are "victims" of a system that doesn't provide
people with essential help.

FALSE. The majority of homeless are substance abusers,
mentally ill, or both. That isn't to say that there
might not be some greater role of government in
providing help to people with serious mental or
substance abuse problems, but these people are *not*
like the majority of people. There are virtually no
two-parent intact families with children who find
themselves homeless due to some economic dislocation
like "offshoring". There are some single women with
children among the homeless, but these women again are
*not* like most people, in that they generally have low
levels of educational achievement, and - big difference
- were never married despite having one or more children.

2. The segment of homeless who are mentally ill are
Ronald Reagan's fault. Reagan "emptied out" the
mental
hospitals, turning hundreds of thousands if not
millions of mental patients into homeless victims.

FALSE. The push to move mentally ill patients out of
in-patient mental hospital settings began in the 1950s,
and achieved its full vigor with John F. Kennedy's
signing of the Community Mental Health Act in October
1963. The state mental hospitals in California had
already begun to move patients back into community
treatment facilities years before Reagan became
governor of California in 1966, and of course Reagan
had nothing to do with the identical moves occuring in
other states.

Branson Hunter
2007-01-02 21:47:07 EST
Rudy Canoza wrote:

A lousy post.

No cites, completely lacking in evidence,
documentary foundation and no bases of proof.

little rudy Canola attacks those at the bottom of
society. What the fuck was the purpose of the
post?

little vulgar rudy is not far removed from a stone age
tribesman who squats with trousers down over an open
trench to rid himself of an enormous build up of feces
within himself.

I guess you are unaware of the homeless
children in the streets. You fat fuck.

And why are you posting this caca in
soc.culture.cuba, soc.culture.puerto-rico, soc.culture.venezuela?

Branson
You're a piece of shit!

Rudy Canoza
2007-01-02 21:49:39 EST
Branson Hunter wrote:
> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>
> A lousy post.

A great post, and naturally, bwanson, you can't offer
anything to refute a word of it.

The homeless are *NOT* generally like most other
people. Most homeless adults are substance abusers
(about 70%), mentally ill, or both.

Branson Hunter
2007-01-02 22:19:01 EST
Rudy Canoza wrote:
> Branson Hunter wrote:
> > Rudy Canoza wrote:
> >
> > A lousy post.
>
> A great post, and naturally, bwanson, you can't offer
> anything to refute a word of it.
>
> The homeless are *NOT* generally like most other
> people. Most homeless adults are substance abusers
> (about 70%), mentally ill, or both.

Mr. Crowly has done such superior job of posting
his evidence, while you have done an outstanding
job of showing you're pure troll.

Branson

Rudy Canoza
2007-01-02 22:21:11 EST
Branson Hunter wrote:
> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>> Branson Hunter wrote:
>>> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>>>
>>> A lousy post.
>> A great post, and naturally, bwanson, you can't offer
>> anything to refute a word of it.
>>
>> The homeless are *NOT* generally like most other
>> people. Most homeless adults are substance abusers
>> (about 70%), mentally ill, or both.
>
> Mr. Crowly has done such superior job of posting
> his evidence,

timmie/Marina has posted no evidence of anything, bwanson.

Branson Hunter
2007-01-02 22:29:28 EST

little rudy Canola wrote:
> timmie/Marina has posted no evidence of anything, bwanson.

Fuck off. I haven't time to feed you today.

Branson

Rudy Canoza
2007-01-02 22:34:21 EST
Branson Hunter wrote:
> Branson wrote:
> Mr. Crowly has

little timmie/Marina Crowley has whiffed off, exactly
as you whiff off, bwanson. He hasn't supported any
thesis at all. I *have* supported one, very well.
Most homeless people are *NOT* "just like you and me",
unless you're admitting to being mentally ill, a
substance abuser, or both.

Krp
2007-01-03 05:54:29 EST

"Branson Hunter" <bh2322@netzero.net> wrote in message
> A lousy post.
>
> No cites, completely lacking in evidence,
> documentary foundation and no bases of proof.
>
> little rudy Canola attacks those at the bottom of
> society. What the fuck was the purpose of the
> post?
>
> little vulgar rudy is not far removed from a stone age
> tribesman who squats with trousers down over an open
> trench to rid himself of an enormous build up of feces
> within himself.
>
> I guess you are unaware of the homeless
> children in the streets. You fat fuck.

Yes they are. Why are they there is the question. Lots has to do with
mentally ill people being turned onto the streets. Sometimes they get
together and make babies. Society had address the problems until the
bleeding hearts and the ACLU stepped in and turned them out to fend for
themselves when they can't!
That's where the real crime is.

Patriot Games
2007-01-03 10:34:46 EST
> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>> Branson Hunter wrote:
>> > Rudy Canoza wrote:
>> > A lousy post.
>> A great post, and naturally, bwanson, you can't offer
>> anything to refute a word of it.
>> The homeless are *NOT* generally like most other
>> people. Most homeless adults are substance abusers
>> (about 70%), mentally ill, or both.
> Mr. Crowly has done such superior job of posting
> his evidence, while you have done an outstanding
> job of showing you're pure troll.

That would be Ms. Crowley.

And the only thing Marina did was PROVE that the Clinton Administration was
a total failure at working the problem of the homeless.

If you, or Rudy, wish to acquire data on the so-called homeless all you need
to do is reference Rudy G's work on the same problem in Times Square.

Ike Milligan
2007-01-03 11:22:36 EST

"Rudy Canoza" <rudy-canoza@excite.com> wrote in message
> 1. The homeless are "just like you and me." A substantial
> percentage of homeless people are ordinary people
> who are "victims" of a system that doesn't provide
> people with essential help.
>
> FALSE. The majority of homeless are substance abusers, mentally ill, or
> both. That isn't to say that there might not be some greater role of
> government in providing help to people with serious mental or substance
> abuse problems, but these people are *not* like the majority of people.
> There are virtually no two-parent intact families with children who find
> themselves homeless due to some economic dislocation like "offshoring".
> There are some single women with children among the homeless, but these
> women again are *not* like most people, in that they generally have low
> levels of educational achievement, and - big difference - were never
> married despite having one or more children.

Many homeless people are mentally ill or substance abusers. However a
significant number are victims of child abuse and runaways, and some are
ordinary people who lost their homes due to an unforseen emrgency. Also,
where do you get off blaming homeless single women with children for some
kind of moral turpitude in your fevered dreams? In the next paragraph you
are concerned about the reputation of Ronald Reagan. ovbviously you are a
fascist with a dirty mind. Ever picked up a homeless kid for nefarious
gratification?