Activism Discussion: NY Times Editorial: The Real Disaster

NY Times Editorial: The Real Disaster

David Morgan \MAMS\
2007-01-11 16:11:43 EST
The New York Times - Jan 11, 2007
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/opinion/11thu1.html

Lead Editorial:

The Real Disaster

President Bush told Americans last night that failure in Iraq would be a
disaster. The disaster is Mr. Bush's war, and he has already failed. Last
night was his chance to stop offering more fog and be honest with the
nation, and he did not take it.

Americans needed to hear a clear plan to extricate United States troops from
the disaster that Mr. Bush created. What they got was more gauzy talk of
victory in the war on terrorism and of creating a "young democracy" in Iraq.
In other words, a way for this president to run out the clock and leave his
mess for the next one.

Mr. Bush did acknowledge that some of his previous tactics had failed. But
even then, the president sounded as if he were an accidental tourist in
Iraq. He described the failure of last year's effort to pacify Baghdad as if
the White House and the Pentagon bore no responsibility.

In any case, Mr. Bush's excuses were tragically inadequate. The nation needs
an eyes-wide-open recognition that the only goal left is to get the U.S.
military out of this civil war in a way that could minimize the slaughter of
Iraqis and reduce the chances that the chaos Mr. Bush unleashed will engulf
Iraq's neighbors.

What it certainly did not need were more of Mr. Bush's open-ended threats to
Iran and Syria.

Before Mr. Bush spoke, Americans knew he planned to send more troops to
pacify lawless Baghdad. Mr. Bush's task was to justify that escalation by
acknowledging that there was no military solution to this war and outlining
the political mission that the military would be serving. We were waiting
for him to detail the specific milestones that he would set for the Iraqis,
set clear timelines for when they would be expected to meet them, and
explain what he intended to do if they again failed.

Instead, he said he had warned the Iraqis that if they didn't come through,
they would lose the faith of the American people. Has Mr. Bush really not
noticed that the American people long ago lost faith in the Iraqi
government - and in him as well? Americans know that this Iraqi government
is captive to Shiite militias, with no interest in the unity, reconciliation
and democracy that Mr. Bush says he wants.

Mr. Bush said yet again that he wanted the Iraqi government to step up to
the task of providing its security, and that Iraq needed a law on the fair
distribution of oil money. Iraq's government needs to do a lot more than
that, starting with disarming the sectarian militias that are feeding the
civil war and purging the police forces that too often are really death
squads. It needs to offer amnesty to insurgents and militia fighters willing
to put down their weapons. It needs to do those things immediately.

Iraq's Shiite-dominated government has heard this list before. But so long
as Mr. Bush is willing to back that failed government indefinitely -
enabling is the psychological term - Iraq's leaders will have no reason to
move against the militias and more fairly share power with the Sunni
minority.

Mr. Bush did announce his plan for 20,000 more troops, and the White House
trumpeted a $1 billion contribution to reconstruction efforts. Congress will
debate these as if they are the real issues. But they are not. Talk of a
"surge" ignores the other 132,000 American troops trapped by a failed
strategy.

We have argued that the United States has a moral obligation to stay in Iraq
as long as there is a chance to mitigate the damage that a quick withdrawal
might cause. We have called for an effort to secure Baghdad, but as part of
the sort of comprehensive political solution utterly lacking in Mr. Bush's
speech. This war has reached the point that merely prolonging it could make
a bad ending even worse. Without a real plan to bring it to a close, there
is no point in talking about jobs programs and military offensives. There is
nothing ahead but even greater disaster in Iraq.

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

*

Steve Hayes
2007-01-12 00:29:12 EST
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:11:43 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
<*e@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote:

>Americans needed to hear a clear plan to extricate United States troops from
>the disaster that Mr. Bush created. What they got was more gauzy talk of
>victory in the war on terrorism and of creating a "young democracy" in Iraq.
>In other words, a way for this president to run out the clock and leave his
>mess for the next one.

Does anyone remember what the NY Times said at the time of Bush's greatest
folly of all -- the original invasion of Iraq in 2003?

--
Keep well,

Steve Hayes
http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw

John
2007-01-12 03:48:23 EST
NY Times wrote:

> "The disaster is Mr. Bush's war, and he has already failed. Last
> night was his chance to stop offering more fog and be honest with
> the nation, and he did not take it."

---
I must protest this point. While I'm no fan of the war and never
have been, I don't think it's fair to make Bush the scapegoat.
The Senate and House--Democrats and Republicans--supported the
war. They could have stopped it before it started, but were afraid
to.

Why were they afraid? Because they believed the American public
wanted it, and they didn't want to risk their jobs by doing
something unpopular--like taking a moral stand.

Why did they believe Americans wanted the war? Because not enough
Americans spoke out against it.

Therefore much or most of the fault the American public's. And
blaming Bush (however much he may deserve it) is further failure
of the American public to own up to its responsibility.

Regardless of what happens in Iraq, we must come to grips with
with a terrible cycle that characterizes citizens and political
leaders--a pattern we can see even as far back as ancient Rome:
the collective "shadow" of the masses seeks expression (here that
means millions of oil-greedy and materialistic Americans wanted
to "secure America's interests" in Iraq, and perhaps, more darkly
still, sought an outlet for their collective wrath.) To this
end, they first elected a hawkish president, as though in
anticipation. Then they encouraged, by silence if by no other
means, his actions. And then, after wreaking havoc in Iraq, they
now seek to cleanse their guilt by making a scapegoat of Bush.

Reject his plan and get us out of Iraq, if that's what conscience
and common sense dictate. But stop demonizing Bush. That's
the same kind of irrational and emotion-based thinking that
produced the problem.

Let those with eyes see.

--
John Uebersax PhD
http://satyagraha.wordpress.com

Fusion
2007-01-12 16:41:42 EST
in my humble opinion and pardon my ignorant grammar, 1) this op-ed
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/opinion/11thu1.html in the NYT
where the Sulzberger-Safire-Keller-Rosenthal-Abramson etal , the ultra
neocon Mossad team that controls the oped pages of the NYT (many of the
great writers on the paper are a totally different story) spins its
lies is really amazingly cruel, considering that in early 2002 and
2003, they were pushing Bush and the Administration to attack Iraq and
start the occupation repeatedly with the excuse that it was a fact that
there were WMD in Iraq ,and nuclear materials,centrifuges tubes and
rockets ready to spread bio-weapons over the USA and on and on, that
was the same op-ed page asking Bush what he was waiting for to attack
Saddam, to start bombing, to stop the iraqi nuclear and bio-poison
bombs from landing in the USA, so these same neocons pushing Bush to
war now call him a fool? a failure? what about them? what about their
lies and phony patriotic screams? when are these criminal Mossad and
members of the Army of Israel face the responsabilities of 3.000 dead
soldiers, 25.000 disabled and 250.000 iraqi civilians dead? when are
they going to pay for the intentional global disaster? we need to get
Satan's adress from them and send them the human and blood bill !

2) and to see yesterday Senator Boxer attacking Sec. Rice,who may have
made mistakes , but it was Senator Boxer,S.Schumer and R.Israel
standing in front of the cameras with a shoulder rocket launcher
demanding to install a "Laser system-ID-beacon" on every commercial
airplane in the USA and EU to deflect rockets and which was
manufactured by an israeli firm, the same group of israelis that had
stolen all the Laser Gun, CPU ,Radio and Radar technology from the New
Mexico - Nevada Pentagon laboratories,testing grounds and all the USA
Research Centers-Universities working for the Gov. on these
Technologies, while their neocon friends,Berger,Summers,Cohen,
Emanuel,Gorelick,etc. run the White House and other Dpt.'s in the
Clinton Administration and in the HQ of Intel, where chairman Grove
convinced the Board to open the most advanced CPU factory in Israel at
a cost of 5 billion dollars instead of renovating the old Intel plants
in Chandler Arizona and Oregon so they could take all the 64-bit
circuits, WiMax(Alvarion,etc.) and other smart radios patents,
these"phony patriots" were pushing stolen goods by an israeli team to
the USA and EU Governments to control commercial aviation passengers
,cargo and personal and corporate info,control all ! , so the attacks
of S.Boxer to S.Rice are absurd, Senator Boxer should put her real
Israeli Army-Mossad uniform and try to fix that country's theft of
land and lives, that would be real, but her attacks to anybody in the
USA Gov. are obscene and High Treason , one day all the thefts by
these neocons of USA technology must be paid back, one day ! in the
meantime, lets be fair !

3) to hear some like Congresswoman Wilson on http://www.c-span.org/
yesterday :"...I don't think the presence of contractors in Iraq has
affected our policies, our efficiency.... contractors make things a
little bit different,but i don't see any impact in our strategy...."
the Congress woman thinks that 25.000 armed security contractors ( and
another 60.000 loose armed operators) have no impact on Iraq's war !!!
in my humble opinion, she is totally criminally incompetent , totally
incompetent or we must find out her bank accounts changes from the time
she started working for the Congress and today, it's absurd to try to
defend all the contractors all the time, and if she is not getting
anything from the contractors , she will be more than happy to show us
her income sources, right, Congresswoman ? to have people like her in
the United States Congress is an insult, lets hope all the great woman
of the land take notice, run for office and make sure the "political
garbage" is taken out every night before closing, we need the smart
honest USA ladies in action, can't get any worst then this.

4) right after this, as usual, any caller to http://www.c-span.org/ in
the 7 to 10 a.m. EST program, FM 90 to 94 on radio or Internet , any
caller asking about mercenaries and private security bodyguards and
other armed operators in Iraq and Afghanistan gets shut-off, they don't
let anyone ask any questions about these issues, and c-span.org/ is
the Taxpayers outlet,its not the neocon hosts and editors private joint
, it's the USA and the worlds speaker phone , not the Mossad's, so
would the USA Congress PLEASE get c-span.org/ ,npr.org/ radio and
PBS-TV back to the People ?

5) since we are there, dear president Bush, and the mess is big, in my
opinion we need to make a present to the Iraqi people( besides leaving
soon) from the USA people to the Iraqi people, we must make sure
PROVINCIAL ELECTIONS HAPPEN SOON, OIL LAW IS PASSED AND ACTIVE SOON,
AND THE OIL PROFITS ARE SPLIT TO ALL IRAQIS, so can we offer them
"secure-paper-trail-source-code-voting-machines" as a gift from the
American people? the best welding America can offer for their pipes?
computers and servers and microwaves to control every drop of oil/gas
and income? as a gift to the iraqis? dear Prez., its time for a good
gift,a detail, something to show that we mean well,honest, fair, and
even, video-conference portable units for their great open street
markets to share sheep prices or dates or olives or pickup trucks or
generators or water desalination units? a great gift is in order,
remembering that the neocons will try to bomb one to attack the other
and the iranians,so for once lets do the good stuff! a great gift ! (
....and maybe i can go with Paris Hilton to visit the troops? no,
seriously we need a great gift for the iraqi people ! , we need a new
dynamic and tone ! )

in the Foggo-Goss-Cunningham-etc. Investigation, we must remember that
it was S.Lieberman and S.Schumer, R.Harman and S.Coleman, among other
neocons pushing for the Senate to approve Goss as CIA Director, why ?
these same neocons pushed the Senate to approve Chertoff and Bodman,
the 2 biggest disasters in recent USA History, and they are not even
finish, Chertoff is facilitating an Iranian Hit and Bodman a Nuclear
Affair and all to blame it on the iranians and the Prez., so why these
people are still in power and their boss is the one being called
incompetent? dear Prez., SET YOURSELF FREE TODAY !

Frank Arthur
2007-01-12 17:11:29 EST
Con"fusion"- here is a multiple collection of conspracy theories back to
back.
Includes Mossads attacks on Iran and connection to Satan!

"fusion" <practical1@openmail.cc> wrote in message
> [...]
> and the iranians,so for once lets do the good stuff! a great gift ! (
> ....and maybe i can go with Paris Hilton to visit the troops? no,
> seriously we need a great gift for the iraqi people ! , we need a new
> dynamic and tone ! )
>
> in the Foggo-Goss-Cunningham-etc. Investigation, we must remember that
> it was S.Lieberman and S.Schumer, R.Harman and S.Coleman, among other
> neocons pushing for the Senate to approve Goss as CIA Director, why ?
> these same neocons pushed the Senate to approve Chertoff and Bodman,
> the 2 biggest disasters in recent USA History, and they are not even
> finish, Chertoff is facilitating an Iranian Hit and Bodman a Nuclear
> Affair and all to blame it on the iranians and the Prez., so why these
> people are still in power and their boss is the one being called
> incompetent? dear Prez., SET YOURSELF FREE TODAY !

2007-01-12 17:26:33 EST

"Frank Arthur" <Art@Arthurian.com> wrote in message news:gITph.440$O53.364@bignews6.bellsouth.net...

> Con"fusion"- here is a multiple collection of conspracy theories back to back.
> Includes Mossads attacks on Iran and connection to Satan!

Dear dear Frank.... Satan ?!?!? Come now....

Can't you think of anything that's a *little* more original than referring to
a man-made creation of population-controlling fear inducement called
Satan? A figment of man's worst and darkest imagination?

I'd be more inclined to believe that the UN made a terrible mistake in
1948 than I would to believe in Satan. It does make for a nice description
of president Bush, however. ;-)

David Morgan \MAMS\
2007-01-12 17:36:20 EST

"Frank Arthur" <Art@Arthurian.com> wrote in message news:gITph.440$O53.364@bignews6.bellsouth.net...

> Con"fusion"- here is a multiple collection of conspracy theories back to
> back. Includes Mossads attacks on Iran and connection to Satan!

Here Frank... This one's for you. I just love giving you news straight from
Israeli newpapers just to have to attack ME instead of the subject matter.

DM

Zionist Occupation News - Abunimah - Jan 12, 2007

excerpted from Abunimah News - Jan 12, 2007
http://electronicintifada.net/cgi-bin/kebab/mail.cgi/abunimah/

1) Israel fascists reject Arab minister in name of "Jewish purity" (Ha)
2) Jewish state destroys Bedouin village for second time (EI)
3) Two fishermen hurt, one missing after attack by occupiers (Reuters)
4) Genocide in Gaza, Ethnic Cleansing in the West Bank (Ilan Pappe/EI)

(1) Lieberman calls on Peretz to quit over appointment of first Arab minister

By Mazal Mualem, Gideon Alon and Yoav Stern

Haaretz - 12 January 2007

Minister for Strategic Affairs Avigdor Lieberman on
Thursday called on Amir Peretz to resign the defense
portfolio over his appointment of Israel's first Arab
minister, saying Peretz was unfit to hold the post.

Lieberman said that Peretz had abused his role as defense
minister, and used the apparatus of the state for his own
ends in the Labor Party primaries, and as such was not
worthy of holding the position.

Lieberman's comments followed condemnation of the
appointment by the chairman of Knesset faction of his
Yisrael Beiteinu party, MK Esterina Tartman, who lambasted
the move as "a lethal blow to Zionism."

She told Israel Radio that Labor MK Raleb Majadele's
appointment as minister of science and technology damages
"Israel's character as a Jewish state."

"We need to destroy this affliction from within ourselves.
God willing, God will come to our help," she said.

Tartman's remarks were widely condemned by lawmakers from
across the political spectrum. Majadele later said that
her comments did not merit a response.

Tartman also said Peretz only made Majadele minister
because the MK is an Arab, and to strengthen Peretz's
power within Labor.

"Peretz is making a sacrifice of Zionism," she said. "He
has crossed all the red lines. Israel is a Jewish state
and should be run according to Jewish principles."

Tartman insisted that she did not have anything personal
against Majadele, but objected to his appointment in
principle.

"This is assimilation," She said. "I call on the prime
minister not to approve this appointment, not for personal
reasons, but in order to protect the state of Israel's
interest as a Jewish and Zionist state."

MK Michael Eitan (Likud) called for a Knesset debate on
what he termed Tartman's racist comments.

He said that he "rejected with disgust Tartman's racist
pronouncements. The Zionism of Herzl, Jabotinsky and Begin
always advocated the integration of Arabs who are loyal to
the state in all of its institutions on the basis of
equality. Tartman's statements are such that no believer
in equality and democracy can accept them being on the
agenda."

Labor MKs, including Danny Yatom and Yoram Marciano,
called for Peretz to convene party institutions to
reconsider Labor's continued participation in the
coalition following Tartman's remarks.

Yatom said her comments show that Peretz and the ministers
erred in choosing Knesset seats over ideology.

Marciano, head of the Labor faction in the Knesset, called
on Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to oust Yisrael Beiteinu
from the coalition, and for Labor to reconsider whether it
can "sit in the government with this racist party."

"These remarks are an insult to the Knesset, to democracy
and to the state," MK Nadia Hilo (Labor) said. "If they
are acceptable to Yisrael Beiteinu, then it should leave
the government. Arab citizens did not receive citizenship
through the grace of Yisrael Beiteinu."

Meretz Chairman Yossi Beilin called on Labor to condition
its participation in the government on the removal of
Yisrael Beiteinu.

He added that the racist remarks that Tartman made, an
issue which Yisrael Beiteinu should "confront internally,"
are extremely serious, and urged Attorney General Menachem
Mazuz to check whether there is legal justification for
opening a criminal investigation over the remarks.

MK Magali Wahaba (Kadima) said, " I regret that there are
still people who instead of speaking of cooperation,
continue to speak in a racist tone. Such people must be
removed from our midst," he said.

***

(2) Israel destroys Negev Bedouin village for second time

Report, Regional Council for the Unrecognized Villages
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article6377.shtml

On Tuesday, January 9th, Israeli forces entered the
Bedouin village of Twail Abu Jarwal in the Northern Negev
for the fifth time, in order to demolish it. Large police
forces, with the aid of special-task forces and with the
aerial help of a helicopter and two bulldozers, demolished
the entire village. Twenty-one homes, shacks, brick rooms,
and tents were destroyed. During the last battle Israel
waged against the residents of this village, on 6 December
2006, Israeli forces demolished 17 homes - more than half
the village. But the villagers, with the help of friends
and the Regional Council for the Unrecognized Villages,
managed to rebuild roofs over their heads, to protect them
from the harsh Negev winter weather. Today, however, it
seems that Israel might have won the battle -- and the war
- -- against its citizens in the Northern Negev.

But where will they go now? The once-more-newly-homeless
30 adults and 63 children? To the streets of Laqia or
Beer-Sheva?

The residents of the village of Twail Abu-Jarwal bought
plots of land from the Israeli government in the town of
Laqia in 1978. They lived on the outskirts of town in
'illegal' and ever more crowded shacks for 25 years,
waiting to receive their plots and build homes for their
families. Several years ago, after not receiving any
option from the government authorities to build legally,
they returned to the location of their ancestral lands and
built more 'illegal' shacks.

Israel's minister of interior, Roni Bar-On announced last
month that he will destroy every last one of the 42,000
illegal structures in the Israeli Negev. But, dear Mr.
Bar-On, what about Israel's responsibility towards its
citizens? When will Israel create options for 80,000 of
its Bedouin citizens in the Unrecognized Villages to
legally build homes for their families?

For more information: Yeela Raanan, Regional Council for
the Unrecognized Villages. 054 7487005.
y*t@gmail.com

***

(3) Israeli gunboat fires on Palestinian fishermen

Reuters - 11 January 2007
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldnews&storyID=2007-01-11T233906Z_01_L11488990_RTRUKOC_0_US-PALESTINIANS-ISRAEL-VIOLENCE.xml

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - An Israeli gunboat opened fire on a
Palestinian fishing boat the Gaza Strip, wounding two of
its crew, a Palestinian security source said on Friday,
adding that a third fisherman was missing.

An Israeli army spokeswoman confirmed the gunboat had
fired warning shots when the fishing boat was spotted near
Israel's territorial waters on Thursday but she said the
Israeli naval crew reported they had not hit anyone.

"Warning shots were fired in the air and at the boat, but
the naval crew reported that nobody had been hit and that
they continued to fish after the shooting had stopped,"
she said.

Hospital staff in Gaza said the two men were not seriously
hurt. Security officials said the search for the missing
fisherman would continue after first light.

Gunmen fired a makeshift rocket from the Gaza Strip into
southern Israel late on Thursday which fell in an open
area and caused no casualties or damage, the army said.

Earlier, in the northern Gaza Strip, a gunman from the
governing Hamas militant group showed off a small Israeli
surveillance drone which the group said it had shot down.

The Israeli army said the drone came down because of a
technical fault and it had not been shot down.

***

(4) Palestine 2007:
Genocide in Gaza, Ethnic Cleansing in the West Bank

By Ilan Pappe

The Electronic Intifada - 11 January 2007
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article6374.shtml

On this stage, not so long ago, I claimed that Israel is
conducting genocidal policies in the Gaza Strip. I
hesitated a lot before using this very charged term and
yet decided to adopt it. Indeed, the responses I received,
including from some leading human rights activists,
indicated a certain unease over the usage of such a term.
I was inclined to rethink the term for a while, but came
back to employing it today with even stronger conviction:
it is the only appropriate way to describe what the
Israeli army is doing in the Gaza Strip.

On 28 December 2006, the Israeli human rights organization
B'Tselem published its annual report about the Israeli
atrocities in the occupied territories. Israeli forces
killed this last year six hundred and sixty citizens. The
number of Palestinians killed by Israel last year tripled
in comparison to the previous year (around two hundred).
According to B'Tselem, the Israelis killed one hundred and
forty one children in the last year. Most of the dead are
from the Gaza Strip, where the Israeli forces demolished
almost 300 houses and slew entire families. This means
that since 2000, Israeli forces killed almost four
thousand Palestinians, half of them children; more than
twenty thousand were wounded.

B'Tselem is a conservative organization, and the numbers
may be higher. But the point is not just about the
escalating intentional killing, it is about the trend and
the strategy. As 2007 commences, Israeli policymakers are
facing two very different realities in the West Bank and
the Gaza Strip. In the former, they are closer than ever
to finishing the construction of their eastern border.
Their internal ideological debate is over and their master
plan for annexing half of the West Bank is being
implemented at an ever-growing speed. The last phase was
delayed due to the promises made by Israel, under the Road
Map, not to build new settlements. Israel found two ways
of circumventing this alleged prohibition. First, it
defined a third of the West Bank as Greater Jerusalem,
which allowed it to build within this new annexed area
towns and community centers. Secondly, it expanded old
settlements to such proportions so that there was no need
to build new ones. This trend was given an additional push
in 2006 (hundreds of caravans were installed to mark the
border of the expansions, the planning schemes for the new
towns and neighborhoods were finalized and the apartheid
bypass roads and highway system completed). In all, the
settlements, the army bases, the roads and the wall will
allow Israel to annex almost half of the West Bank by
2010. Within these territories there will be a
considerable number of Palestinians, against whom the
Israeli authorities will continue to implement slow and
creeping transfer policies -- too boring as a subject for
the western media to bother with and too elusive for human
rights organizations to make a general point about them.
There is no rush; as far as the Israelis are concerned,
they have the upper hand there: the daily abusive and
dehumanizing mixed mechanisms of army and bureaucracy is
as effective as ever in contributing its own share to the
dispossession process.

The strategic thinking of Ariel Sharon that this policy is
far better than the one offered by the blunt
'transferists' or ethnic cleansers, such as Avigdor
Liberman's advocacy, is accepted by everyone in the
government, from Labor to Kadima. The petit crimes of
state terrorism are also effective as they enable liberal
Zionists around the world to softly condemn Israel and yet
categorize any genuine criticism on Israel's criminal
policies as anti-Semitism.

On the other hand, there is no clear Israeli strategy as
yet for the Gaza Strip; but there is a daily experiment
with one. Gaza, in the eyes of the Israelis, is a very
different geo-political entity from that of the West Bank.
Hamas controls Gaza, while Abu Mazen seems to run the
fragmented West Bank with Israeli and American blessing.
There is no chunk of land in Gaza that Israel covets and
there is no hinterland, like Jordan, to which the
Palestinians of Gaza can be expelled. Ethnic cleansing is
ineffective here.

The earlier strategy in Gaza was ghettoizing the
Palestinians there, but this is not working. The
ghettoized community continues to express its will for
life by firing primitive missiles into Israel. Ghettoizing
or quarantining unwanted communities, even if they were
regarded as sub-human or dangerous, never worked in
history as a solution. The Jews know it best from their
own history. The next stages against such communities in
the past were even more horrific and barbaric. It is
difficult to tell what the future holds for the Gaza
population, ghettoized, quarantined, unwanted and
demonized. Will it be a repeat of the ominous historical
examples or is a better fate still possible?

Creating the prison and throwing the key to the sea, as UN
Special Reporter John Dugard has put it, was an option the
Palestinians in Gaza reacted against with force as soon as
September 2005. They were determined to show at the very
least that they were still part of the West Bank and
Palestine. In that month, they launched the first
significant, in number and not quality, barrage of
missiles into the Western Negev. The shelling was a
response to an Israeli campaign of mass arrests of Hamas
and Islamic Jihad activists in the Tul Karem area. The
Israelis responded with operation 'First Rain'. It is
worth dwelling for a moment on the nature of that
operation. It was inspired by the punitive measures
inflicted first by colonialist powers, and then by
dictatorships, against rebellious imprisoned or banished
communities. A frightening show of the oppressor's power
to intimidate preceded all kind of collective and brutal
punishments, ending with a large number of dead and
wounded among the victims. In 'First Rain', supersonic
flights were flown over Gaza to terrorize the entire
population, succeeded by the heavy bombardment of vast
areas from the sea, sky and land. The logic, the Israeli
army explained, was to create pressure so as to weaken the
Gaza community's support for the rocket launchers. As was
expected, by the Israelis as well, the operation only
increased the support for the rocket launchers and gave
impetus to their next attempt. The real purpose of that
particular operation was experimental. The Israeli
generals wished to know how such operations would be
received at home, in the region and in the world. And it
seems that instantly the answer was 'very well'; namely,
no one took an interest in the scores of dead and hundreds
of wounded Palestinians left behind after the 'First Rain'
subsided.

And hence since 'First Rain' and until June 2006, all the
following operations were similarly modeled. The
difference was in their escalation: more firepower, more
causalities and more collateral damage and, as to be
expected, more Qassam missiles in response. Accompanying
measures in 2006 were more sinister means of ensuring the
full imprisonment of the people of Gaza through boycott
and blockade, with which the EU is still shamefully
collaborating.

The capture of Gilad Shalit in June 2006 was irrelevant in
the general scheme of things, but nonetheless provided an
opportunity for the Israelis to escalate even more the
components of the tactical and allegedly punitive
missions. After all, there was still no strategy that
followed the tactical decision of Ariel Sharon to take out
8,000 settlers whose presence complicated 'punitive'
missions and whose eviction made him almost a candidate
for the Nobel Peace Prize. Since then, the 'punitive'
actions continue and become themselves a strategy.

The Israeli army loves drama and therefore also escalated
the language. 'First Rain' was replaced by 'Summer Rains',
a general name that was given to the 'punitive' operations
since June 2006 (in a country where there is no rain in
the summer, the only precipitation that one can expect are
showers of F-16 bombs and artillery shells hitting people
of Gaza).

'Summer Rains' brought a novel component: the land
invasion into parts of the Gaza Strip. This enabled the
army to kill citizens even more effectively and to present
it as a result of heavy fighting within dense populated
areas, an inevitable result of the circumstances and not
of Israeli policies. With the close of summer came
operation 'Autumn Clouds' which was even more efficient:
on 1 November 2006, in less than 48 hours, the Israelis
killed seventy civilians; by the end of that month, with
additional mini operations accompanying it, almost two
hundred were killed, half of them children and women. As
one can see from the dates, some of the activity was
parallel to the Israeli attacks on Lebanon, making it
easier to complete the operations without much external
attention, let alone criticism.

>From 'First Rain' to 'Autumn Clouds' one can see
escalation in every parameter. The first is the
disappearance of the distinction between civilian and
non-civilian targets: the senseless killing has turned the
population at large to the main target for the army's
operation. The second one is the escalation in the means:
employment of every possible killing machines the Israeli
army possesses. Thirdly, the escalation is conspicuous in
the number of casualties: with each operation, and each
future operation, a much larger number of people are
likely to be killed and wounded. Finally, and most
importantly, the operations become a strategy -- the way
Israel intends to solve the problem of the Gaza Strip.

A creeping transfer in the West Bank and a measured
genocidal policy in the Gaza Strip are the two strategies
Israel employs today. From an electoral point of view, the
one in Gaza is problematic as it does not reap any
tangible results; the West Bank under Abu Mazen is
yielding to Israeli pressure and there is no significant
force that arrests the Israeli strategy of annexation and
dispossession. But Gaza continues to fire back. On the one
hand, this would enable the Israeli army to initiate more
massive genocidal operations in the future. But there is
also the great danger, on the other, that as happened in
1948, the army would demand a more drastic and systematic
'punitive' and collateral action against the besieged
people of the Gaza Strip.

Ironically, the Israeli killing machine has rested lately.
Even relatively large number of Qassam missiles, including
one or two quite deadly ones, did not stir the army to
action. Though the army's spokesmen say it shows
'restraint', it never did in the past and is not likely to
do so in the future. The army rests, as its generals are
content with the internal killing that rages on in Gaza
and does the job for them. They watch with satisfaction
the emerging civil war in Gaza, which Israel foments and
encourages. From Israel's point of view it does not really
mater how Gaza would eventually be demographically
downsized, be it by internal or Israeli slaying. The
responsibility of ending the internal fighting lies of
course with the Palestinian groups themselves, but the
American and Israeli interference, the continued
imprisonment, the starvation and strangulation of Gaza are
all factors that make such an internal peace process very
difficult. But it will take place soon and then with the
first early sign that it subsided, the Israeli 'Summer
Rains' will fall down again on the people of Gaza,
wreaking havoc and death.

And one should never tire of stating the inevitable
political conclusions from this dismal reality of the year
we left behind and in the face of the one that awaits us.
There is still no other way of stopping Israel than
besides boycott, divestment and sanctions. We should all
support it clearly, openly, unconditionally, regardless of
what the gurus of our world tell us about the efficiency
or raison d'etre of such actions. The UN would not
intervene in Gaza as it does in Africa; the peace noble
laureates would not enlist to its defense as they do for
causes in Southeast Asia. The numbers of people killed
there are not staggering as far as other calamities are
concerned, and it is not a new story -- it is dangerously
old and troubling. The only soft point of this killing
machine is its oxygen lines to 'western' civilization and
public opinion. It is still possible to puncture them and
make it at least more difficult for the Israelis to
implement their future strategy of eliminating the
Palestinian people either by cleansing them in the West
Bank or genociding them in the Gaza Strip.

Ilan Pappe is senior lecturer in the University of Haifa
Department of political Science and Chair of the Emil
Touma Institute for Palestinian Studies in Haifa. His
books include, among others, The Making of the
Arab-Israeli Conflict (London and New York 1992), The
Israel/Palestine Question (London and New York 1999), A
History of Modern Palestine (Cambridge 2003), The Modern
Middle East (London and New York 2005) and his latest,
Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine (2006).

*