Activism Discussion: Child Investigated For Homework Threat To Bush

Child Investigated For Homework Threat To Bush

NewsToBeRead
2007-02-03 15:48:04 EST
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10366680

Child investigated for homework threat to Bush
Friday February 03, 2006

PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Secret Service is investigating a Rhode
Island student who wrote a rambling essay advocating violence against
President Bush and major US corporations.

A homework assignment asked 7th-grade students at John F. Deering Middle
School in West Warwick, Rhode Island, to describe their perfect day. The boy
under investigation wrote it would involve unspecified violence against
Bush, Coca-Cola Co. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. executives, and TV talkshow
host Oprah Winfrey, school officials said.

The boy turned in the single-page assignment on Tuesday, and his teacher
alerted school officials.

The essay has not been released, and the student has not been identified.
Seventh-grade students are typically aged 11 to 13.

Daniel Burns, Jr., chairman of the West Warwick School Committee, called the
student's essay a "stupid act" and said he had never seen a situation like
this in the more than 20 years that he's been involved in the school system.

While it did not include any specific plan for an attack, "anyone that
writes what's on his mind, where he wants to do away with or kill people,
it's something you've got to pay attention to," Burns said.

Threatening the president is a felony, said Thomas M. Powers, Secret Service
resident agent in charge in Providence, the state capital. He said the
agency's investigation is ongoing but declined further comment.

The student faces no charges from local police, Detective Sgt. Richard
Ascoli, spokesman for West Warwick police, said. The department has handed
over the case to the Secret Service and is no longer involved, he added.

The American Civil Liberties Union in Rhode Island criticized law
enforcement's involvement in the case.

"The student was engaged in a rhetorical, if angry, exercise of speech," the
organization said in a statement.

"Although it may have been appropriate for the teacher to share the essay
with the school social work staff, the decisions to also involve the police
and the Secret Service marked a significant and inappropriate intrusion on
the young student's First Amendment rights."

Burns, who was briefed by the West Warwick school superintendent on the
essay but had not read it, described it as bitter. "Obviously, this
individual needs some kind of help," he said.

He questioned whether the boy had help composing it.

"Someone in the 7th grade just doesn't gather this information by
themselves," he said. "I was concerned where that came from."

The student is undergoing counseling, Burns said.

- REUTERS

Nospam
2007-02-03 16:35:19 EST
NewsToBeRead wrote:
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10366680
>
> Child investigated for homework threat to Bush
> Friday February 03, 2006
>
> PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Secret Service is investigating a Rhode
> Island student who wrote a rambling essay advocating violence against
> President Bush and major US corporations.
>
> A homework assignment asked 7th-grade students at John F. Deering Middle
> School in West Warwick, Rhode Island, to describe their perfect day. The boy
> under investigation wrote it would involve unspecified violence against
> Bush, Coca-Cola Co. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. executives, and TV talkshow
> host Oprah Winfrey, school officials said.

I think some one else needs that counseling, not the kid

Ronald 'More-More' Moshki
2007-02-03 17:18:41 EST
On Feb 3, 4:35 pm, nospam <nos...@nospam.nospam> wrote:
> NewsToBeRead wrote:
> >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10366680
>
> > Child investigated for homework threat to Bush
> > Friday February 03, 2006
>
> > PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Secret Service is investigating a Rhode
> > Island student who wrote a rambling essay advocating violence against
> > President Bush and major US corporations.
>
> > A homework assignment asked 7th-grade students at John F. Deering Middle
> > School in West Warwick, Rhode Island, to describe their perfect day. The boy
> > under investigation wrote it would involve unspecified violence against
> > Bush, Coca-Cola Co. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. executives, and TV talkshow
> > host Oprah Winfrey, school officials said.
>
> I think some one else needs that counseling, not the kid- Hide quoted text -

If this kid had had the sense to come from
a family of illegal immigrants, no one would ever have heard about
this.

Milou
2007-02-03 17:23:49 EST
On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 12:48:04 -0800, "NewsToBeRead"
<*d@USA.Com> wrote:

>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10366680
>
>Child investigated for homework threat to Bush
>Friday February 03, 2006

This happened 1 year ago.
What shit are you trying to stir?

Sluggo
2007-02-03 18:19:00 EST
In article <45c4f4fd$0$10556$882e0bbb@news.ThunderNews.com>,
"NewsToBeRead" <NewsToBeRead@USA.Com> wrote:

> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10366680
>
> Child investigated for homework threat to Bush
> Friday February 03, 2006
>
> PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Secret Service is investigating a Rhode
> Island student who wrote a rambling essay advocating violence against
> President Bush and major US corporations.
>
> A homework assignment asked 7th-grade students at John F. Deering Middle
> School in West Warwick, Rhode Island, to describe their perfect day. The boy
> under investigation wrote it would involve unspecified violence against
> Bush, Coca-Cola Co. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. executives, and TV talkshow
> host Oprah Winfrey, school officials said.
>
> The boy turned in the single-page assignment on Tuesday, and his teacher
> alerted school officials.
>
> The essay has not been released, and the student has not been identified.
> Seventh-grade students are typically aged 11 to 13.
>
> Daniel Burns, Jr., chairman of the West Warwick School Committee, called the
> student's essay a "stupid act" and said he had never seen a situation like
> this in the more than 20 years that he's been involved in the school system.
>
> While it did not include any specific plan for an attack, "anyone that
> writes what's on his mind, where he wants to do away with or kill people,
> it's something you've got to pay attention to," Burns said.
>
> Threatening the president is a felony, said Thomas M. Powers, Secret Service
> resident agent in charge in Providence, the state capital. He said the
> agency's investigation is ongoing but declined further comment.
>
> The student faces no charges from local police, Detective Sgt. Richard
> Ascoli, spokesman for West Warwick police, said. The department has handed
> over the case to the Secret Service and is no longer involved, he added.
>
> The American Civil Liberties Union in Rhode Island criticized law
> enforcement's involvement in the case.
>
> "The student was engaged in a rhetorical, if angry, exercise of speech," the
> organization said in a statement.
>
> "Although it may have been appropriate for the teacher to share the essay
> with the school social work staff, the decisions to also involve the police
> and the Secret Service marked a significant and inappropriate intrusion on
> the young student's First Amendment rights."
>
> Burns, who was briefed by the West Warwick school superintendent on the
> essay but had not read it, described it as bitter. "Obviously, this
> individual needs some kind of help," he said.
>
> He questioned whether the boy had help composing it.
>
> "Someone in the 7th grade just doesn't gather this information by
> themselves," he said. "I was concerned where that came from."
>
> The student is undergoing counseling, Burns said.
>
> - REUTERS

when is bush going into counseling. he is homocidal.

--

Money.. What a concept!

Noel Conway
2007-02-03 18:54:49 EST
NewsToBeRead wrote:
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10366680
>
> Child investigated for homework threat to Bush
> Friday February 03, 2006
>
> PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Secret Service is investigating a Rhode
> Island student who wrote a rambling essay advocating violence against
> President Bush and major US corporations.
>
> A homework assignment asked 7th-grade students at John F. Deering Middle
> School in West Warwick, Rhode Island, to describe their perfect day. The boy
> under investigation wrote it would involve unspecified violence against
> Bush, Coca-Cola Co. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. executives, and TV talkshow
> host Oprah Winfrey, school officials said.
>
> The boy turned in the single-page assignment on Tuesday, and his teacher
> alerted school officials.
>
> The essay has not been released, and the student has not been identified.
> Seventh-grade students are typically aged 11 to 13.
>
> Daniel Burns, Jr., chairman of the West Warwick School Committee, called the
> student's essay a "stupid act" and said he had never seen a situation like
> this in the more than 20 years that he's been involved in the school system.
>
> While it did not include any specific plan for an attack, "anyone that
> writes what's on his mind, where he wants to do away with or kill people,
> it's something you've got to pay attention to," Burns said.
>
> Threatening the president is a felony, said Thomas M. Powers, Secret Service
> resident agent in charge in Providence, the state capital. He said the
> agency's investigation is ongoing but declined further comment.
>
> The student faces no charges from local police, Detective Sgt. Richard
> Ascoli, spokesman for West Warwick police, said. The department has handed
> over the case to the Secret Service and is no longer involved, he added.
>
> The American Civil Liberties Union in Rhode Island criticized law
> enforcement's involvement in the case.
>
> "The student was engaged in a rhetorical, if angry, exercise of speech," the
> organization said in a statement.
>
> "Although it may have been appropriate for the teacher to share the essay
> with the school social work staff, the decisions to also involve the police
> and the Secret Service marked a significant and inappropriate intrusion on
> the young student's First Amendment rights."
>
> Burns, who was briefed by the West Warwick school superintendent on the
> essay but had not read it, described it as bitter. "Obviously, this
> individual needs some kind of help," he said.
>
> He questioned whether the boy had help composing it.
>
> "Someone in the 7th grade just doesn't gather this information by
> themselves," he said. "I was concerned where that came from."
>
> The student is undergoing counseling, Burns said.
>
> - REUTERS

I think the kid is on the right track (or is that the left track???)!!!

Miguel O'Pastel
2007-02-04 16:19:27 EST

"Noel Conway" <noelconway@internode.on.net> wrote in message
> [...]
essay
| > with the school social work staff, the decisions to also involve the
police
| > and the Secret Service marked a significant and inappropriate intrusion
on
| > the young student's First Amendment rights."
| >
| > Burns, who was briefed by the West Warwick school superintendent on the
| > essay but had not read it, described it as bitter. "Obviously, this
| > individual needs some kind of help," he said.
| >
| > He questioned whether the boy had help composing it.
| >
| > "Someone in the 7th grade just doesn't gather this information by
| > themselves," he said. "I was concerned where that came from."
| >
| > The student is undergoing counseling, Burns said.
| >
| > - REUTERS
| >

| I think the kid is on the right track (or is that the left track???)!!!

I hope the kid doesn't get "disappeared" over this.

Gunner
2007-02-05 02:42:20 EST
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 13:19:27 -0800, "Miguel O'Pastel"
<*m@tall.kid> wrote:

> [...]
>essay
>| > with the school social work staff, the decisions to also involve the
>police
>| > and the Secret Service marked a significant and inappropriate intrusion
>on
>| > the young student's First Amendment rights."
>| >
>| > Burns, who was briefed by the West Warwick school superintendent on the
>| > essay but had not read it, described it as bitter. "Obviously, this
>| > individual needs some kind of help," he said.
>| >
>| > He questioned whether the boy had help composing it.
>| >
>| > "Someone in the 7th grade just doesn't gather this information by
>| > themselves," he said. "I was concerned where that came from."
>| >
>| > The student is undergoing counseling, Burns said.
>| >
>| > - REUTERS
>| >

>| I think the kid is on the right track (or is that the left track???)!!!
>|
>I hope the kid doesn't get "disappeared" over this.

Oh fuck yes. Disappearing people happens every day. And its all Bush's
fault.

Fuck yes.

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 12:48:04 -0800, "NewsToBeRead"
<*d@USA.Com> wrote:

I don't see how wishing Bush were dead is a "threat." It isn't like
he planned an attack against the president's minions. And if Bush
were that easy to kill, I'm sure he'd be dead already; he's on a lot
of peoples wish list. So the secret service is sweating a 13 year
old?

Just another news blurb to intimidate the masses and keep the little
sheeple in line. It might help (or hurt) their case if the essay were
released. A "Top Secret" homework assignment?

And they want to see where he got his ideas - it would be a lot more
acceptable to prosecute someone other (older - preferably posed with a
gun in their hands) than the 13 year old for this heinous crime.

If impeachment worked the way it is supposed to . . . If elections
worked the way they are supposed to . . . . if politicians worked the
way they are supposed to . . . If lobbying worked the way it is
supposed to . . .

That would be a better way to fix the system.

Somebody better explain the new "'freedom' of speech" to the rest of
the populace.

First Amendment -

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Pyotr Filipivich
2007-02-05 15:38:44 EST
Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner <gunner@lightspeed.net> wrote
on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 07:42:20 GMT in misc.survivalism :

>>| I think the kid is on the right track (or is that the left track???)!!!
>>|
>>I hope the kid doesn't get "disappeared" over this.
>>
>Oh fuck yes. Disappearing people happens every day. And its all Bush's
>fault.
>
>Fuck yes.

I'm just curious, how people can be disappeared in Bushitler's Amerika,
yet the loudest opponents of the President are still yammering away on TV
about how suppressed they are. Feh, they should grow like onions, with
their heads in the ground.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It often seems the only way to make the Left open to the Rights ideas