Activism Discussion: (fwd) Olympia Wash. - Activist's Story Of Homeless Camp Quixote

(fwd) Olympia Wash. - Activist's Story Of Homeless Camp Quixote

D*@yahoo.com
2007-02-17 04:11:58 EST
-----Begin Forwarded Message-----

Subject: [huffsantacruz] Olympia, Washington Camp Quixote Update and
Lookback

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2007/02/354257.shtml

Memories of Camp Quixote
author: Ray Kavick
The (abbreviated) story of Olympia's Camp Quixote

My name is Ray Kavick, anarchist and member of the Olympia Poor
People's
Union (PPU). This is a short reflection on the first week of an
encampment
we set up in Downtown Olympia on Thursday, February 1st. We called
the
encampment Camp Quixote. This piece is not that comprehensive, but
gets
the
basic story out there. My comments DO NOT represent those of the PPU.
The
PPU is a non-hierarchical group dedicated to improving the lives of
the
poor
and "homeless" in Olympia by whatever means available. To contact the
PPU
write us an email at poorpeoplesunion@yahoo.com or, if ABSOLUTELY
necessary, call us at 925-285-5342.

The first tents were awkwardly set up with the people at the campsite
looking over their shoulder every once in a while. I felt that many
of
us
were waiting for the police to come immediately. During the planning
meetings, it was assumed by nearly everybody that we would be at the
site
for an hour at most. When the first five tents went up and an hour
had
passed, none of us were completely sure what to do. But that soon
passed,
the group got together and we decided to go ahead and put as many
tents
and
as many people on the sight as quickly as possible.

A local peace group was holding a sit-in at two locations that day
protesting the laws that the city passed banning sitting, panhandling
or
performing on Olympia sidewalks. Once it was over many of them came
down and
hung out with us. People passing by stopped to see what was going on.
The
energy was beginning to grow in the small, gravel and mud parking
lot.
The
tents continued to be erected, we made a few pallet runs in order to
get the
tents off the ground, different musicians came by and played for us
and
random people dropped off food. A port-a-potty arrived by truck later
in the
day. The pigs were nowhere to be seen.

By nightfall, the group was operating smoothly and the unity we had
talked
about and hoped for in the meetings was materializing. Once the fear
of
the
police had subsided we all threw ourselves headlong into the
undertaking and
the sense of excitement among the group gave us all a small, constant
buzz.
We were no longer doing something "illegal", we were doing what we
needed to
do. If something needed to be taken care of, people got up and did
it.
Whenever someone needed something, we gave it to them, or tried to.
At
the
end of that day, the hope I had for the encampment multiplied
exponentially.

The next day, in our local, shitty newspaper, we were on the cover.
The
Olympian was telling everyone that we set up the camp to "protest"
the
new
laws. While all of us despised the laws, we did not do this to
"protest"
anything. We did this create what we needed: housing and a sense of
community. But it was easier to label us as "protesters" for The
Olympian,
something they are still doing. Anyway, that day brought the media,
along
with more people, more food and more tents. There was no word on the
police,
but the in the paper the city council expressed anger at us for being
"ungrateful" for all the City had done for the "homeless". Everyone
laughed
at this and the day went on. We set up a communal tent to store food
and
serve as a makeshift kitchen. An Olympian photographer wandered
through
the
camp, as well as a snobby reporter. The City manager, Steve Hall, a
exceptionally disgusting human being, came by and informed us that
this
action represented a "poke in the eye" to the City. I suppose he
thought
this would fill us with shame and make us leave. Later in the day the
Seattle stations came down and began filming.

A few us felt a sense of disgust and anger upon seeing them but we
put
it
aside in order to get the word out about what were doing, accepting
that our
message would get skewed. I was to discover later, however, that the
Seattle
stations gave us pretty decent coverage, probably because they
weren't
worried about upsetting the wingnuts, wealthy business owners and
rich
City
Council members of Olympia as much as The Olympian was.

It was ridiculously cold that second night. A few people brought a
barbeque
down and some coals, being that burning a fire to keep warm was
forbidden
us. Later, even was burning coal was made "illegal". The cops had
started
driving by regularly that day, going up and down the alley next to
the
camp.
It got down to twenty two degrees that night. Perhaps if Steven Hall
had
stayed the night he might not have run his arrogant mouth as much he
did and
still does.

The next three days brought us a number of things which I will tackle
in no
meaningful order: a communal hall was built with lumber donated from
local
salvage company. It was draped in tarps and became an awesome little
spot
for us to hang out. Our kitchen was expanded and a fantastic fellow
named
____ acted as our cook, making food that blew out what the Starvation
Army
dished out. In the hall we had communal food and tobacco, with new
donations
coming all the time. We shared everything there. A few people were a
little
reluctant to share their tents and some people got mad at the
positioning of
certain tents, but the problems were dealt without much friction. I
have not
felt so at ease in a long time. I will probably say it again, but
this
was a
small slice of the kind of community and future many of us dream of.
Some of
you may give me shit, but I wanted to cry a few times for absolutely
no
rational reason.

Those three days also brought the City Council meeting and the first
real
worry of the police raiding us. The PPU planned to go as a group to
the
Council meeting and flood it, but it occurred to many of us that this
would
be an opportune moment for the police to come. So those who could be
arrested stayed at the camp and those who could not went to the
meeting.
Quite a few people spoke during the public comment section of the
meeting,
and one of those people was a woman named Carol. She ripped into the
Council
and expressed her outrage towards what they were doing. We didn't get
raided
that night, but Carol was later arrested.

She had a warrant out for her, but the police knew she was in town
since it
was issued. This arrest was purely political in nature. Someone who
angrily
denounced the Council was in jail the next day. I am sure this
disgusts
you
just as much as does me so I will not comment on it anymore. Needless
say, this unnerved us all, being that we were expecting them to come
for all
of us. At night, cruisers were driving by, some of them flashing
their
searchlights into the camp at two in the morning in order to wake us
up. The
pigs seemed to hate people trying to improve their lives so much that
they
constantly looked at us with scorn if not hatred as they drove by. We
weren't doing anything wrong, not even by their bullshit standards.
But
the
OPD are a bunch of psychotic, ex-military mutants who never graduated
from
junior high, so I guess I kind of understand.

Lastly, those three days were filled with paranoia at the seemingly
inevitable police raid. The Council, in comments and at the meeting,
stated
that they would not talk with us and that we had to go, period. Steve
Hall
said that if we didn't leave then the police would come in. Rumors
began to
circulate. At 6 at night. Within 12 hours. Definitely in the middle
of
the
night, probably 4 AM. In retrospect, the police and City did an
effective
job at freaking us out. During those weary days, people with warrants
or
carrying children took off. Each time we heard a rumor everyone was
on
the
phone, calling their friends and the media in order to get as many
people to
the site as possible. The corporate media eagerly descended from
Seattle in
order to get those juicy pictures of people getting cracked on the
head.
Strangely, I believe their presence kept the cops away on at least
one
of
these night, although I cannot be certain. Each of those rumors
turned
out
to be false, though, and I think people got a little burnt after
three
days
of preparing themselves for a confrontation.

On the second to last day the police gave us written warnings to
leave
or
face arrest. On the back of the warning was a list of numbers for
shelters
that the residents of the camp could call. All of them were either
out
of
service, full or impossible to get into quickly. After that, we began
look for another spot to house the encampment. A church was contacted
and it
seemed likely that they would let us. When the word finally came that
could
in fact move to the church's property we informed the City that we
would be
moving. Nevertheless, the State had to flex its muscles and surround
the
encampment at the 4:30 Friday morning. We were basically out of there
already and we finished cleaning out the spot under the eyes of the
pigs. We
left the spot cleaner than we found it.

Now we're at a new spot in West Olympia, being graciously put up by
the
Unitarian Universalist Church. They are not dogmatic and are truly
good
people. While the camp is no longer Downtown where more people can
get
it, we still have a safe place to go. The community and the bonds
that
grew
out of that first week are still alive and strong. The City and their
hired
thugs cannot destroy the trust we all now have for each other, and
that
trust is the most important thing to come out of the whole endeavor.
Without
it, we would not be able to continue. The new camp is up and we'll be
up to
more mischief later. But I can't tell you any more than that. Just
keep
your
eyes peeled... ... .
Love, Ray Kavick of the PPU

--
Homeless United for Friendship and Freedom - Santa Cruz

w. http://www.huffsantacruz.org/
e. info@huffsantacruz.org
p. 831-423-HUFF

-----End Forwarded Message-----

Forwarder's Disclaimer: Be advised that material which I forward to
the Usenet newsgroups is generally for the dissemination of news and
original writings, for the benefit of discussion, and this should not
imply my endorsement or lack of endorsement of an author's statements
or
opinions.

Please send your replies via e-mail to interested parties listed in
the
forwarded postings in addition to posting your reply to the
newsgroups.

dhm

Rudy Canoza
2007-02-17 10:59:00 EST
dim bulb wrote:
> -----Begin Forwarded Message-----
> [...]

Boring bullshit, Myers.

Stan De SD
2007-02-17 12:44:43 EST

<dhm_at_best_dot_com@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> -----Begin Forwarded Message-----
>
> Subject: [huffsantacruz] Olympia, Washington Camp Quixote Update and
> Lookback
>
> http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2007/02/354257.shtml
>
> Memories of Camp Quixote
> author: Ray Kavick
> The (abbreviated) story of Olympia's Camp Quixote
>
> My name is Ray Kavick, anarchist and member of the Olympia Poor
> People's
> Union (PPU). This is a short reflection on the first week of an
> encampment
> we set up in Downtown Olympia on Thursday, February 1st. We called
> the
> encampment Camp Quixote. This piece is not that comprehensive, but
> gets
> the
> basic story out there. My comments DO NOT represent those of the PPU.
> The
> PPU is a non-hierarchical group dedicated to improving the lives of
> the
> poor
> and "homeless" in Olympia by whatever means available.

If you REALLY wanted to "improve the lives of the poor" (as opposed to
merely using them to advance your own agenda) you would stop encouraging
them to adapt the path of victimization, stop enabling their
self-destructive behavior, and hold them accountable for their actions. But
it's easier to protest and break shit, than help people who don't really
want to help themselves... :O|

Bill Bonde Not Endorsed By Hootia And The Blowfish
2007-02-19 14:04:46 EST

dhm_at_best_dot_com@yahoo.com wrote:

> -----Begin Forwarded Message-----
>
> Subject: [huffsantacruz] Olympia, Washington Camp Quixote Update and
> Lookback
>
> http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2007/02/354257.shtml
>
> Memories of Camp Quixote
> author: Ray Kavick
> The (abbreviated) story of Olympia's Camp Quixote
>
> My name is Ray Kavick, anarchist and member of the Olympia Poor
> People's
> Union (PPU). This is a short reflection on the first week of an
> encampment
> we set up in Downtown Olympia on Thursday, February 1st. We called
> the
> encampment Camp Quixote. This piece is not that comprehensive, but
> gets
> the
> basic story out there. My comments DO NOT represent those of the PPU.
> The
> PPU is a non-hierarchical group dedicated to improving the lives of
> the
> poor
> and "homeless" in Olympia by whatever means available. To contact the
> PPU
> write us an email at poorpeoplesunion@yahoo.com or, if ABSOLUTELY
> necessary, call us at 925-285-5342.

Do you know how to post to usenet? Look at the above line mess.

--
Bush say global warm-warm not real
Even though ice gone and no seals

Rudy Canoza
2007-02-19 14:28:43 EST
wrote:

> dhm_at_best_dot_com@yahoo.com wrote:
>> -----Begin Forwarded Message-----
>>
>> Subject: [huffsantacruz] Olympia, Washington Camp Quixote Update and
>> Lookback
>>
>> http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2007/02/354257.shtml
>>
>> Memories of Camp Quixote
>> author: Ray Kavick
>> The (abbreviated) story of Olympia's Camp Quixote
>>
>> My name is Ray Kavick, anarchist and member of the Olympia Poor
>> People's
>> Union (PPU). This is a short reflection on the first week of an
>> encampment
>> we set up in Downtown Olympia on Thursday, February 1st. We called
>> the
>> encampment Camp Quixote. This piece is not that comprehensive, but
>> gets
>> the
>> basic story out there. My comments DO NOT represent those of the PPU.
>> The
>> PPU is a non-hierarchical group dedicated to improving the lives of
>> the
>> poor
>> and "homeless" in Olympia by whatever means available. To contact the
>> PPU
>> write us an email at poorpeoplesunion@yahoo.com or, if ABSOLUTELY
>> necessary, call us at 925-285-5342.
>>
> Do you know how to post to usenet? Look at the above line mess.

Daniel Myers has been an on-line, uh, "activist"
concerning homelessness for a long time. Regrettably,
that doesn't mean he can do a good job of it.

Tim Crowley
2007-02-19 14:37:05 EST
On Feb 19, 11:04 am, "Bill Bonde ( Not endorsed by Hootia and the
Blowfish )"

> Do you know how to post to usenet? Look at the above line mess.

viewed fine on my machine Bonde. You lying piece of shit, looks like
you don't know how to read Usenet. Good to see you out of jail for a
spin.

Rudy Canoza
2007-02-19 15:50:55 EST
Tim Crowley wrote:
> On Feb 19, 11:04 am, "Bill Bonde ( Not endorsed by Hootia and the
> Blowfish )"
>

>> Do you know how to post to usenet? Look at the above line mess.
>
> viewed fine on my machine Bonde.

It was an unformatted dog's breakfast; a total mess,
just like you.