Activism Discussion: Hunting With Jim Zumbo

Hunting With Jim Zumbo

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)

Smedley Butler
2007-03-01 01:03:47 EST
Hey - wanna see what happens when you piss off gun owners? The
back story is that Jim Zumbo went off on a personal rant about
how scary-looking rifles like AR-15s and AK-47s don't belong in
hunting venues, and should be banned from public hunting lands.

This ignorant tirade in an otherwise pro-gun publication,
sponsored by a firearms manufacturer was what we in the
corporate world call a CLM: Career-Limiting Move.

Since Outdoor Life has closed Mr. Zumbo's blog, I'll present you
with the text below. I can't say what Jim Zumbo was thinking
when he wrote this silliness, but I'm sure he thought the Second
Amendment only applied to hunting, and not the right to keep and
bear arms. I bet he knows better now.

Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming
with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg
Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and
several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal
Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me
that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing
following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had
no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one
of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people.
Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for
these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to
call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies
are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place
in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people
who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern.
I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters
don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our
"sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the
image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons.
To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing.
Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should
ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.
Seriously, have you ever seen anything as ignorant from an
allegedly pro-gun writer? Adios, Zumbo...we hardly knew ye.

There are only two things we should fight for.
One is the defense of our homes and the other
is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason
is simply a racket. - GEN Smedley Butler, USMC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

Keep in mind that niggers aren't signing
up for the U.S. Armed Services anymore.
[ http://tinyurl.com/3yn3gq ] and
[ http://tinyurl.com/y24p4w ] They prefer
the "Big Massa In DeeCee" to give free
housing, food stamps, AFDC for their
girlfriends and babies, and free medical.

Long Ranger
2007-03-01 01:56:22 EST

> Seriously, have you ever seen anything as ignorant from an
> allegedly pro-gun writer? Adios, Zumbo...we hardly knew ye.

Thanks for that up-date, Walter Cronkite.......................

Tim Howard
2007-03-01 03:46:38 EST
Smedley Butler wrote:

> Assault Rifles For Hunters?
>
> As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming
> with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg
> Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and
> several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal
> Spitfire bullet on coyotes.
>
> I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me
> that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing
> following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had
> no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one
> of these firearms.
>
> I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people.
> Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for
> these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to
> call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies
> are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."
>
> Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place
> in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people
> who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern.
> I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters
> don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our
> "sporting firearms."
>
> This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the
> image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons.
> To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing.
> Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should
> ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.
> Seriously, have you ever seen anything as ignorant from an
> allegedly pro-gun writer? Adios, Zumbo...we hardly knew ye.

Sounds like this hunter actually has some sense, and is interested in
hunting as a sport, unlike you.

> Keep in mind that niggers aren't signing
> up for the U.S. Armed Services anymore.
> [ http://tinyurl.com/3yn3gq ] and
> [ http://tinyurl.com/y24p4w ] They prefer
> the "Big Massa In DeeCee" to give free
> housing, food stamps, AFDC for their
> girlfriends and babies, and free medical.

By writing this you show how ignorant you are and that you have no
credibility.

Catfish
2007-03-01 09:27:48 EST
On Feb 28, 10:03 pm, Smedley Butler <Mar...@adl.org> wrote:
> Hey - wanna see what happens when you piss off gun owners? The
> back story is that Jim Zumbo went off on a personal rant about
> how scary-looking rifles like AR-15s and AK-47s don't belong in
> hunting venues, and should be banned from public hunting lands.
>
> This ignorant tirade in an otherwise pro-gun publication,
> sponsored by a firearms manufacturer was what we in the
> corporate world call a CLM: Career-Limiting Move.
>
> Since Outdoor Life has closed Mr. Zumbo's blog, I'll present you
> with the text below. I can't say what Jim Zumbo was thinking
> when he wrote this silliness, but I'm sure he thought the Second
> Amendment only applied to hunting, and not the right to keep and
> bear arms. I bet he knows better now.
>
> Assault Rifles For Hunters?
>
> As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming
> with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg
> Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and
> several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal
> Spitfire bullet on coyotes.
>
> I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me
> that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing
> following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had
> no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one
> of these firearms.
>
> I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people.
> Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for
> these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to
> call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies
> are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."
>
> Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place
> in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people
> who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern.
> I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters
> don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our
> "sporting firearms."
>
> This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the
> image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons.
> To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing.
> Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should
> ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.
> Seriously, have you ever seen anything as ignorant from an
> allegedly pro-gun writer? Adios, Zumbo...we hardly knew ye.
>
> There are only two things we should fight for.
> One is the defense of our homes and the other
> is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason
> is simply a racket. - GEN Smedley Butler, USMChttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler
>
> Keep in mind that niggers aren't signing
> up for the U.S. Armed Services anymore.
> [http://tinyurl.com/3yn3gq] and
> [http://tinyurl.com/y24p4w] They prefer
> the "Big Massa In DeeCee" to give free
> housing, food stamps, AFDC for their
> girlfriends and babies, and free medical.

I'm a gun owner and a hunter and I happen to agree with Jim Zumbo on
assault rifles and hunting.
They are a poor fucking choice for accuracy, for one thing. Another,
you don't fucking spray bucks with area or suppression fire, unless
you're a piss-poor shot. And that's partly what full-auto assault
rifles were designed for. (Every ex-grunt knows that.)
If you want to play Rambo, get a fucking paintball gun.
But I'm glad Zumbo got fired because I don't approve of killing
animals you don't intend to eat and unless he's going to slap them
coyotes on the BBQ, he ought not to be shooting them.

Another thing; an assault rifle is a poor choice for home defence. A
12 gauge is much better.
For sustained operations, an assault rifle will eat up huge supplies
of ammo, so you better have a supply system to feed those ammo-hungry
bitches.

This is one more reason that I am one of the 40+ million gunowners who
will not join the NRA. (Membership approx 3 million.)
They're a gang of fucking nuts.

Sgt. Catfish

Catfish
2007-03-01 09:30:18 EST
On Mar 1, 12:46 am, Tim Howard <tim.how...@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Smedley Butler wrote:
> > Assault Rifles For Hunters?
>
> > As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming
> > with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg
> > Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and
> > several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal
> > Spitfire bullet on coyotes.
>
> > I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me
> > that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing
> > following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had
> > no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one
> > of these firearms.
>
> > I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people.
> > Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for
> > these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to
> > call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies
> > are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."
>
> > Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place
> > in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people
> > who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern.
> > I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters
> > don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our
> > "sporting firearms."
>
> > This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the
> > image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons.
> > To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing.
> > Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should
> > ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.
> > Seriously, have you ever seen anything as ignorant from an
> > allegedly pro-gun writer? Adios, Zumbo...we hardly knew ye.
>
> Sounds like this hunter actually has some sense, and is interested in
> hunting as a sport, unlike you.
>
> > Keep in mind that niggers aren't signing
> > up for the U.S. Armed Services anymore.
> > [http://tinyurl.com/3yn3gq] and
> > [http://tinyurl.com/y24p4w] They prefer
> > the "Big Massa In DeeCee" to give free
> > housing, food stamps, AFDC for their
> > girlfriends and babies, and free medical.
>
> By writing this you show how ignorant you are and that you have no
> credibility.-

And I imagine Ol' Smedley is turning over in his grave too. I wonder
if this guy was ever even a "jarhead"?

Catfish

Dad
2007-03-01 09:39:15 EST

"catfish" <beauregard_t_catfish@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Snip blather
> This is one more reason that I am one of the 40+ million gunowners who
> will not join the NRA. (Membership approx 3 million.)
> They're a gang of fucking nuts.
>
> Sgt. Catfish

As opposed to a cross posting nut, it's not about hunting, try to comprehend
that.

Bama Brian
2007-03-01 11:26:06 EST
catfish wrote:
> [...]
>> To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing.
>> Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should
>> ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.
>> Seriously, have you ever seen anything as ignorant from an
>> allegedly pro-gun writer? Adios, Zumbo...we hardly knew ye.
>>
>> There are only two things we should fight for.
>> One is the defense of our homes and the other
>> is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason
>> is simply a racket. - GEN Smedley Butler, USMChttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler
>>
>> Keep in mind that niggers aren't signing
>> up for the U.S. Armed Services anymore.
>> [http://tinyurl.com/3yn3gq] and
>> [http://tinyurl.com/y24p4w] They prefer
>> the "Big Massa In DeeCee" to give free
>> housing, food stamps, AFDC for their
>> girlfriends and babies, and free medical.
>
> I'm a gun owner and a hunter and I happen to agree with Jim Zumbo on

I doubt that, based on your next statement.

> They are a poor fucking choice for accuracy, for one thing. Another,
> you don't fucking spray bucks with area or suppression fire, unless
> you're a piss-poor shot. And that's partly what full-auto assault
> rifles were designed for. (Every ex-grunt knows that.)

Since the so-called assault weapons are not fully automatic, but are
semi-automatic, you've just shown your ignorance. As to their accuracy,
you're wrong here as well.

> If you want to play Rambo, get a fucking paintball gun.
> But I'm glad Zumbo got fired because I don't approve of killing
> animals you don't intend to eat and unless he's going to slap them
> coyotes on the BBQ, he ought not to be shooting them.

Coyotes are varmints. They kill livestock and pets, and even children,
given a chance.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=apr2806a

> Another thing; an assault rifle is a poor choice for home defence. A
> 12 gauge is much better.
> For sustained operations, an assault rifle will eat up huge supplies
> of ammo, so you better have a supply system to feed those ammo-hungry
> bitches.

If you knew what you were talking about, you might have some credibility.

> This is one more reason that I am one of the 40+ million gunowners who
> will not join the NRA. (Membership approx 3 million.)
> They're a gang of fucking nuts.

Whether you join the NRA or not doesn't matter; the Right to Keep and
Bear Arms has got nothing to do with hunting. And just FYI, if you
don't support the RKBA generally, you may soon have nothing with which
to hunt.

Cheers,
Bama Brian
Libertarian

The Heekster
2007-03-01 14:39:55 EST
On 1 Mar 2007 06:27:48 -0800, "catfish"
> [...]

>> To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing.
>> Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should
>> ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.
>> Seriously, have you ever seen anything as ignorant from an
>> allegedly pro-gun writer? Adios, Zumbo...we hardly knew ye.
>>
>> There are only two things we should fight for.
>> One is the defense of our homes and the other
>> is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason
>> is simply a racket. - GEN Smedley Butler, USMChttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler
>>
>> Keep in mind that niggers aren't signing
>> up for the U.S. Armed Services anymore.
>> [http://tinyurl.com/3yn3gq] and
>> [http://tinyurl.com/y24p4w] They prefer
>> the "Big Massa In DeeCee" to give free
>> housing, food stamps, AFDC for their
>> girlfriends and babies, and free medical.
>
>I'm a gun owner and a hunter and I happen to agree with Jim Zumbo on

Zumbo admitted he made a mistake and apologized.

Do you still agree with him? If so, then admit you made a mistake,
and apologize.

Steve Rothstein
2007-03-01 17:48:53 EST
catfish wrote:
> [...]
>> To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing.
>> Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should
>> ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.
>> Seriously, have you ever seen anything as ignorant from an
>> allegedly pro-gun writer? Adios, Zumbo...we hardly knew ye.
>>
>> There are only two things we should fight for.
>> One is the defense of our homes and the other
>> is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason
>> is simply a racket. - GEN Smedley Butler, USMChttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler
>>
>> Keep in mind that niggers aren't signing
>> up for the U.S. Armed Services anymore.
>> [http://tinyurl.com/3yn3gq] and
>> [http://tinyurl.com/y24p4w] They prefer
>> the "Big Massa In DeeCee" to give free
>> housing, food stamps, AFDC for their
>> girlfriends and babies, and free medical.
>
> I'm a gun owner and a hunter and I happen to agree with Jim Zumbo on

Your right to feel how you choose.

> They are a poor fucking choice for accuracy, for one thing.

This is not an accurate or true statement. Most of the weapons he was
talking about are very accurate, as can be seen from their use in target
competition.

> Another,
> you don't fucking spray bucks with area or suppression fire, unless
> you're a piss-poor shot.

Even if you are a piss poor shot, you don't spray deer with suppressive
fire.

> And that's partly what full-auto assault
> rifles were designed for. (Every ex-grunt knows that.)

But Zumbo wasn't talking about full auto. He was referring to the
semi-auto only rifles like the AR-15 that just look ugly compared to
what he thinks people should use.

> If you want to play Rambo, get a fucking paintball gun.
> But I'm glad Zumbo got fired because I don't approve of killing
> animals you don't intend to eat and unless he's going to slap them
> coyotes on the BBQ, he ought not to be shooting them.

So, you would just let the coyotes eat the animals we are going to eat?
They are a predator trying to get the same food we use, and that is
justification enough for killing them in my opinion.

But you also want people to lose their job just because they disagree
with you? That is pretty damn harsh.

> Another thing; an assault rifle is a poor choice for home defence. A
> 12 gauge is much better.

Depends on the home and situation, including what you are defending
against. I tend to recommend the pump shotgun for most household users,
but freely recognize that other situations may require different
weapons, and there are people who know exactly how to use a full auto
assault rifle for home defense, let alone the semi-auto that was being
discussed in the original article by Zumbo.

> For sustained operations, an assault rifle will eat up huge supplies
> of ammo, so you better have a supply system to feed those ammo-hungry
> bitches.

Okay, I agree that they will eat up ammo. What does that have to do with
anything other than my costs for my hobby? If I can afford it, who cares?

> This is one more reason that I am one of the 40+ million gunowners who
> will not join the NRA. (Membership approx 3 million.)
> They're a gang of fucking nuts.

Not nearly as nutty as you come across based on this posting. Of course,
you said nothing that had anything to do with the NRA. You disagreed
with opinions of some people and some opinions. You did not even claim
they were related to anything the NRA believes, yet you now claim the
NRA is made up of nuts.

Just so you know, the NRA agrees with you and would freely restrict full
auto weapons. You and they do not realize yet that the Second Amendment
has nothing to do with hunting and everything to do with full auto
military weaponry.

Steve Rothstein

West
2007-03-01 18:55:46 EST
Smedley Butler wrote:
> Hey - wanna see what happens when you piss off gun owners? The
> back story is that Jim Zumbo went off on a personal rant about
> how scary-looking rifles like AR-15s and AK-47s don't belong in
> hunting venues, and should be banned from public hunting lands.
<snip>

Have you been hibernating? Thats old news.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)