Activism Discussion: Our Garbage Could Save Millions Of Lives...

Our Garbage Could Save Millions Of Lives...

D*@.
2007-04-05 17:07:34 EST
Our garbage...our food waste...would almost certainly be
enough to end world hunger. I feel confident that every
state, and maybe even every major city, produces
millions of pounds of food waste every single day. That
wasted food goes to feed rats and other vermin we would
rather *not* feed in dumps and landfills, while humans we
would rather feed are starving. Much of the nutrition which
makes life possible--any amount or form of which is rare
and treasured to hungry people all over this planet--has
become nothing but a problem to get rid of for those of
us fortunate enough to have the "problem". Even if only
a small percentage of the people who have the problem
were to participate in organized group efforts, it's almost
certain that a large percentage of world hunger and
starvation could be reduced or eliminated. The garbage
from McDonald's alone could save how many human
lives?

How to do it? Organization and agreement to commit to
the projects would be a first step. What to commit to would
of course be a necessary consideration. How to store,
transfer and sanitize the waste food would be some of the
biggest obstacles to overcome. Making regular use of
food grinders, dehydrators, possibly crushers of some sort,
probably UV sanitizing methods, and packaging systems
would be required on both the private and commercial
participant level. Collection and distribution would
be on a bigger scale, and would require properly developed
business level organizations and facilities in order to make
productive use of what so many of us consider to be waste.
Some sort of incentive to participate besides simply providing
life for other humans would probably also be required, or else
systems such as that would have been established and
working for years already.

How to begin? The first thing would be to accept the idea
that it would be possible, and could be made practical and
maybe even beneficial to those who are willing to participate.
It would probably have to begin on a small scale, with groups
of interested people working together to help select other
groups and individuals in their local areas. It needs to be
kept in mind that those who would survive and benefit from
such a change in the thinking and efforts of those who could
help them, would be dependant on the stability of the system.

But there's already a surplus of food. So would it be a waste
of time? Even if we could dry, sanitize and package millions
of pounds of nutrition from our food waste every day, would
it be of no real value? Are people who are starving just going
to have to continue to starve, regardless of how much extra
food more fortunate people have to deal with? Would they
just become another dependancy...more trouble than it would
be worth? Or could it be practical to put together a system
like that?

Witziges R├Ątsel
2007-04-05 18:41:49 EST
<*h@.> wrote in message news:s7pa13psis4bqaaa370spcnoibd16v1idc@4ax.com...
> Our garbage...our food waste...would almost certainly be
> enough to end world hunger. I feel confident that every
> state, and maybe even every major city, produces
> millions of pounds of food waste every single day.

<snip>

...and then one day some giddy prankster added poison to his garbage...

Mike Painter
2007-04-06 00:55:22 EST
dh@. wrote:
> Our garbage...our food waste...would almost certainly be
> enough to end world hunger. I feel confident that every
> state, and maybe even every major city, produces
> millions of pounds of food waste every single day.

There is certainly a lot of waste and a lot of that comes from picky people
who will not buy bruised fruit.
There is also a lot of food wasted when the pull date comes up. We feed
about 120 people a week with stuff from about six super markets and still
hundreds of pounds a week go to feeding animals. (typically they will have
about 30 pounds of food for $6.00 a week, the cost of a typical apple pie)
But you can't transport food that will go bad in a few days thousands of
miles in any reasonable fashion.

Why bother with waste when the excess could be skimmed off the front end and
sent when it is fresh?

The 2nd Coming Of Christ
2007-04-06 05:41:57 EST
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:55:22 GMT, "Mike Painter"
<*r@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>*h@. wrote:
>> Our garbage...our food waste...would almost certainly be
>> enough to end world hunger.

since most our food IS garbage, you're right that people are able
to subsist with it--people must or they would die starving. only
reason why you have garbage as representing the left-overs is
because you started with trash as your main source. if you start
out with healthy food your garbage is ALSO going to be healthy
food. No reason to throw any of it away, in the first place.

> I feel confident that every
>> state, and maybe even every major city, produces
>> millions of pounds of food waste every single day.
>
>There is certainly a lot of waste and a lot of that comes from picky people
>who will not buy bruised fruit.

i hate that too when they have to artificially try to alter the
natural look of fruits. Like, what's wrong with the way god
intended it to look. What are they saying , god is a retard? what
exactly is the message that they're sending.

>Why bother with waste when the excess could be skimmed off the front end and
>sent when it is fresh?

or just eat a lesser amount of quality food vs larger amount of
crappy food, and try not to waste any.

--

``Since the standard for which behaviors were to be considered most advanced were those of the intellectuals who were the authors of the schemas, the data that differed most from their own beliefs and pracktices were taken to represent the earliest or most primitive stages of human life.'' --Greenfield

D*@.
2007-04-07 11:28:34 EST
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:41:57 GMT, jesucristo2@netscape.net (the 2nd coming of christ) wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:55:22 GMT, "Mike Painter"
><mddotpainter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>Why bother with waste when the excess could be skimmed off the front end and
>>sent when it is fresh?
>
>or just eat a lesser amount of quality food vs larger amount of
>crappy food, and try not to waste any.

The idea is to get surplus food to people who are starving.

D*@.
2007-04-07 11:28:49 EST
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:55:22 GMT, "Mike Painter" <mddotpainter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>*h@. wrote:
>> Our garbage...our food waste...would almost certainly be
>> enough to end world hunger. I feel confident that every
>> state, and maybe even every major city, produces
>> millions of pounds of food waste every single day.
>
>There is certainly a lot of waste and a lot of that comes from picky people
>who will not buy bruised fruit.
>There is also a lot of food wasted when the pull date comes up. We feed
>about 120 people a week with stuff from about six super markets and still
>hundreds of pounds a week go to feeding animals. (typically they will have
>about 30 pounds of food for $6.00 a week, the cost of a typical apple pie)
>But you can't transport food that will go bad in a few days thousands of
>miles in any reasonable fashion.
>
>Why bother with waste when the excess could be skimmed off the front end and
>sent when it is fresh?

If that would work it would be better. Maybe it wouldn't take a very
large percentage of our surplus food to make a difference, if it could
be made practical to get it to people who could use it.

The 2nd Coming Of Christ
2007-04-07 18:19:06 EST
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 11:28:34 -0400, dh@. wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:41:57 GMT, jesucristo2@netscape.net (the 2nd coming of christ) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:55:22 GMT, "Mike Painter"
>><mddotpainter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Why bother with waste when the excess could be skimmed off the front end and
>>>sent when it is fresh?
>>
>>or just eat a lesser amount of quality food vs larger amount of
>>crappy food, and try not to waste any.
>
> The idea is to get surplus food to people who are starving.

then start out with good healthy raw food and you might have
something of any value when it comes to the leftovers. Processed
food is bad to begin with (before any putrefaction has even
occurred)--how much worse after it's old. No food at all is better
than some of the crap people eat in our fast-food based society.
Teach people to fish rather than give 'em fish... I mean don't eat
fish if possible, but if you don't need to be bothered about the
'morality' of eating and do eat it... I guess it's legal... It's
not like I can arrest you for murdering a shrimp or what not...

--

``Since the standard for which behaviors were to be considered most advanced were those of the intellectuals who were the authors of the schemas, the data that differed most from their own beliefs and pracktices were taken to represent the earliest or most primitive stages of human life.'' --Greenfield

The 2nd Coming Of Christ
2007-04-07 18:29:20 EST
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 11:28:49 -0400, dh@. wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:55:22 GMT, "Mike Painter" <mddotpainter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>dh@. wrote:
>>> Our garbage...our food waste...would almost certainly be
>>> enough to end world hunger. I feel confident that every
>>> state, and maybe even every major city, produces
>>> millions of pounds of food waste every single day.
>>
>>There is certainly a lot of waste and a lot of that comes from picky people
>>who will not buy bruised fruit.
>>There is also a lot of food wasted when the pull date comes up. We feed
>>about 120 people a week with stuff from about six super markets and still
>>hundreds of pounds a week go to feeding animals. (typically they will have
>>about 30 pounds of food for $6.00 a week, the cost of a typical apple pie)
>>But you can't transport food that will go bad in a few days thousands of
>>miles in any reasonable fashion.
>>
>>Why bother with waste when the excess could be skimmed off the front end and
>>sent when it is fresh?
>
> If that would work it would be better. Maybe it wouldn't take a very
>large percentage of our surplus food to make a difference, if it could
>be made practical to get it to people who could use it.

How did Africans survive for billions of years. Obviously they do
whatever it takes to survive. Maybe the rough environment is what
makes people that descend from Africa usually stronger physically
speaking than say Europeans. I know they have weaklings there,
too. I'm saying 'on average'. Maybe by trying to help them too
much we'll only hurt the delicate natural balance that they
themselves maintain and so end up hurting more in the long run.
Make sure it doesn't end up like the Iraq-War, is all I'm saying

--

``Since the standard for which behaviors were to be considered most advanced were those of the intellectuals who were the authors of the schemas, the data that differed most from their own beliefs and pracktices were taken to represent the earliest or most primitive stages of human life.'' --Greenfield

Uncle Clover
2007-04-08 11:26:11 EST
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 11:28:49 -0400, dh@. wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:55:22 GMT, "Mike Painter" <mddotpainter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >dh@. wrote:
> >> Our garbage...our food waste...would almost certainly be
> >> enough to end world hunger. I feel confident that every
> >> state, and maybe even every major city, produces
> >> millions of pounds of food waste every single day.
> >
> >There is certainly a lot of waste and a lot of that comes from picky people
> >who will not buy bruised fruit.
> >There is also a lot of food wasted when the pull date comes up. We feed
> >about 120 people a week with stuff from about six super markets and still
> >hundreds of pounds a week go to feeding animals. (typically they will have
> >about 30 pounds of food for $6.00 a week, the cost of a typical apple pie)
> >But you can't transport food that will go bad in a few days thousands of
> >miles in any reasonable fashion.
> >
> >Why bother with waste when the excess could be skimmed off the front end and
> >sent when it is fresh?
>
> If that would work it would be better. Maybe it wouldn't take a very
> large percentage of our surplus food to make a difference, if it could
> be made practical to get it to people who could use it.

Taking a stance which is inverse to my usual one, let me play devil's
advocate:

So we get the food to the people who are starving. Guess what? They
have more kids, and more of their kids live. They need more food.

Until you stop the conditions which are causing their population to be
so much higher than what their land can support, you're only going to
be creating a bigger problem in the future. As I would say if it were
happening in the U.S., they need to stop having so many kids and start
living within their means. If they absolutely cannot learn about
birth control, then you're not helping them by feeding more of them.

Note - this isn't necessarily my stance. It may be, it may not be,
but it's one stance I do know about, and am a bit curious as to what
sorts of responses people have to it. :-?
--
L8r,
Uncle Clover
__________________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every birth carries within
it the seed of its own
demise
__________________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Narrow minds
breed thick skulls.
__________________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Guns don't kill people -
husbands who come home
early kill people!"
- Deadrat, a.t-c
__________________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enkidu
2007-04-08 13:19:24 EST
Uncle Clover <UncleClover@NowhereNow.com> wrote in

> On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 11:28:49 -0400, dh@. wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:55:22 GMT, "Mike Painter"
>> <mddotpainter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> >There is certainly a lot of waste and a lot of that comes from picky
>> >people who will not buy bruised fruit.
>> >There is also a lot of food wasted when the pull date comes up. We
>> >feed about 120 people a week with stuff from about six super markets
>> >and still hundreds of pounds a week go to feeding animals.
>> >(typically they will have about 30 pounds of food for $6.00 a week,
>> >the cost of a typical apple pie) But you can't transport food that
>> >will go bad in a few days thousands of miles in any reasonable
>> >fashion.
>> >
>> >Why bother with waste when the excess could be skimmed off the front
>> >end and sent when it is fresh?
>>
>> If that would work it would be better. Maybe it wouldn't take a
>> very
>> large percentage of our surplus food to make a difference, if it
>> could be made practical to get it to people who could use it.
>
> Taking a stance which is inverse to my usual one, let me play devil's
> advocate:
>
> So we get the food to the people who are starving. Guess what? They
> have more kids, and more of their kids live. They need more food.

Still worse, free food drives the local producers out of the market,
making still more people dependent. Think about it. If food is given
away free to the local villagers, who does the local farmer sell to? Not
to the local villagers. They get food free. Not to the developed
countries. They protect their farmers with tariffs and other trade
barriers. No, the only way is to make local food production possible and
profitable. Perhaps buying food locally, then giving it away would work,
but runs afoul of agri-businesses in developed countries. Turning part
of our foreign aide into crop subsidies for local farmers to keep
production profitable and prices down, just like we do with milk in the
United States.

--
Enkidu AA#2165
EAC Chaplain and ordained minister,

"The Jews, Muslims and Christians got it all wrong. The people of the
world only divide into two kinds: one sort with brains and no religion,
the other with religion and no brains."
-Abul Al Mali, Syrian poet