Activism Discussion: Ron Paul's Many Faces

Ron Paul's Many Faces

Dan Clore

[This starts off good, but.--DC]

The Daily Texan
http://tinyurl.com/28p366
Ron Paul's many faces
By:

"Vote Ron Paul 2008 -- the only REAL anti-war candidate," say Paul's
disciples, hungry for a politician with a consistent position on the
Iraq war.

A presidential candidate who opposes the Iraq war, the Patriot Act, the
death penalty, and the war on drugs, and one who understands the
relationship between the U.S.-Middle East policy and al-Qaida -- what
more could the left ask for?

A lot. Or a different candidate altogether.

The U.S. House representative's devoted followers speak the truth: He is
the only presidential candidate who has opposed the war on Iraq from the
start and also opposes a hypothetical war with Iran (sorry, Sen. Obama).
But beyond Paul's "troops out now" position lies the reason why he is
running as a Republican, albeit a libertarian-leaning one.

The same Ron Paul who opposes foreign interventionism also opposes all
forms of foreign aid. The same Ron Paul who supports gay rights opposes
the right of a woman to choose an abortion. The same Ron Paul who wants
to abolish the Department of Homeland Security also wants to abolish the
Department of Education. Paul wants to demilitarize Iraq while
re-militarizing the U.S.-Mexico border.

Libertarians of Paul's ilk have always fit somewhere between the
Republican/Democrat duopoly in American politics. For every policy
position that appears to endear him to liberals, such as his opposition
to the death penalty, there is an equally attractive position to
conservatives, such as his opposition to affirmative action. Part of his
appeal certainly comes from his consistency in his ideals and his
resistance to the influence of corporate money that so embroils the
remainder of his colleagues. Indeed, he has the largest percentage of
individual donors contributing to his campaign of any presidential
candidate.

Paul has also benefited from a burgeoning grassroots Internet campaign.
His YouTube channel has more subscribers than the next-closest
candidates from either party. The betting Web site www.gambling911.com
recently slashed Paul's odds of winning from 200-1 to 15-1. Paul may
still be a longshot, but his condemnations of the Bush Administration's
war of lies endear him to citizens disaffected with Republicans and
Democrats alike.

The truth is, Paul's main appeal comes not from the candidate himself,
but from the lack of a real alternative to Republicans, who obstinately
march on in Iraq despite overwhelming violence, and Democrats who enable
such incompetence with empty legislative posturing. While major figures
in both parties brazenly ignore the will of a supermajority of
Americans, Paul is there to pick up the slack, promising a quick end to
the war. Paul appears to be the only politician who "gets it," and his
brutal honesty is a refreshing respite from the sanctioned brutality
brought on by the United States' continuing occupation of Iraq. But
Paul's popularity is merely a symptom of a paucity of political vision
from leaders in the two-party system. Both Democrats and Republicans are
using the occupation of Iraq as a political tool, characterizing it as a
specter only resolvable by the next president. But the onus is on
Congress to end the war immediately, and they have the power to do so.
This is where Paul's anti-war position can effect the most change,
voting against the war's prolongation.

Disregarding his massive underdog status, which will most likely
preclude him from winning the Republican nomination, a Ron Paul
presidency is the last thing Americans need. His abysmal record on the
environment, his refusal to seek alternative fuel sources and his desire
to make Bush's tax cuts permanent should alone be enough to discredit
Paul's candidacy.

Paul's presidential momentum is real, but only as real as the failure of
both parties to end the occupation of Iraq. But the anger felt by
Americans about the ongoing Iraq occupation and hubristic displays by
those elected to stop it should not be funneled into a candidate who
annually introduces a bill to eliminate the Internal Revenue Service.

--
Dan Clore

http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/1587154838/ref=nosim/thedanclorenecro
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/clorebeast/

"Don't just question authority,
Don't forget to question me."
-- Jello Biafra

Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute
2007-06-07 08:54:58 EST
In message news:4667DC9D.2030803@columbia-center.org, Dan Clore sprach
forth the following:

> [This starts off good, but.--DC]
>
> The Daily Texan
> http://tinyurl.com/28p366
> Ron Paul's many faces
> By:

Fortunately response has been articulate and universally supportive:

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2007/06/0
7/Opinion/The-Firing.Line-2912879.shtml

Dan Clore
2007-06-07 10:18:17 EST
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute wrote:
> In message news:4667DC9D.2030803@columbia-center.org, Dan Clore sprach
> forth the following:
>
>> [This starts off good, but.--DC]
>>
>> The Daily Texan
>> http://tinyurl.com/28p366
>> Ron Paul's many faces
>> By:
>
> Fortunately response has been articulate and universally supportive:
>
> http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2007/06/0
> 7/Opinion/The-Firing.Line-2912879.shtml

For the convenience of readers:

http://tinyurl.com/2bcku7

--
Dan Clore

http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/1587154838/ref=nosim/thedanclorenecro
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/clorebeast/

Peter B. P.
2007-06-07 10:35:02 EST
Dan Clore <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote:

> The same Ron Paul who opposes foreign interventionism also opposes all
> forms of foreign aid.

"Foreign aid" is a euphemism for "breakting down foreign economies".

> The same Ron Paul who supports gay rights opposes
> the right of a woman to choose an abortion.

He believes it is a staes-rights issue.

> The same Ron Paul who wants
> to abolish the Department of Homeland Security also wants to abolish the
> Department of Education.

Fine by me. I can't think of anything good to have come out of those two
departments.

> Paul wants to demilitarize Iraq while
> re-militarizing the U.S.-Mexico border.

Seems liek a good deal to me.

--
regards , Peter B. P.
http://titancity.com/blog , http://macplanet.dk

"We don't dial 911 - we dial .357".

Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute
2007-06-07 12:34:15 EST
In message news:4667DC9D.2030803@columbia-center.org, Dan Clore sprach
forth the following:

> The same Ron Paul who opposes foreign interventionism also opposes all
> forms of foreign aid.

Does the author not understand that the two are exactly the same thing?

Broderick Crawford
2007-06-07 16:45:59 EST
Dan Clore wrote:
> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>
> [This starts off good, but.--DC]
>
> The Daily Texan
> http://tinyurl.com/28p366
> Ron Paul's many faces
> By:
>
> "Vote Ron Paul 2008 -- the only REAL anti-war candidate," say Paul's
> disciples, hungry for a politician with a consistent position on the
> Iraq war.
>
> A presidential candidate who opposes the Iraq war, the Patriot Act, the
> death penalty, and the war on drugs, and one who understands the
> relationship between the U.S.-Middle East policy and al-Qaida -- what
> more could the left ask for?

He's the only one in the debates who wasn't full of shit. The public
will never go for it.

*Anarcissie*
2007-06-07 22:28:38 EST
On Jun 7, 12:34 pm, "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute"
<*.@whitehouse.gov> wrote:
> In messagenews:4667DC9D.2030803@columbia-center.org, Dan Clore sprach
> forth the following:

Actually it was the Daily Texan.

> > The same Ron Paul who opposes foreign interventionism also opposes all
> > forms of foreign aid.
>
> Does the author not understand that the two are exactly the same thing?

Probably not. Many liberals so-called are still stuck
on the Wilsonian model even though they have seen
its disastrous consequences in Iraq (and Vietnam).
I noticed that many commentators attempted to wake
them up -- let's hope it takes.

JG
2007-06-08 00:43:52 EST
Dan Clore wrote:
> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>
> [This starts off good, but.--DC]
>
> The Daily Texan
> http://tinyurl.com/28p366
> Ron Paul's many faces
> By:
>
> "Vote Ron Paul 2008 -- the only REAL anti-war candidate," say Paul's
> disciples, hungry for a politician with a consistent position on the
> Iraq war.
>
> A presidential candidate who opposes the Iraq war, the Patriot Act, the
> death penalty, and the war on drugs, and one who understands the
> relationship between the U.S.-Middle East policy and al-Qaida -- what
> more could the left ask for?
>
> A lot. Or a different candidate altogether.
>
> The U.S. House representative's devoted followers speak the truth: He is
> the only presidential candidate who has opposed the war on Iraq from the
> start and also opposes a hypothetical war with Iran (sorry, Sen. Obama).
> But beyond Paul's "troops out now" position lies the reason why he is
> running as a Republican, albeit a libertarian-leaning one.
>
> The same Ron Paul who opposes foreign interventionism also opposes all
> forms of foreign aid. The same Ron Paul who supports gay rights opposes
> the right of a woman to choose an abortion.

Not quite.
"Paul supports allowing individual states decide on the legality of
abortion, citing that it is not an enumerated power of the federal
government.[18]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul

But why would the left think that Paul is anything like them in the
first place? And why would Paul or his supporters care what the left
thinks?

> [...]
> This is where Paul's anti-war position can effect the most change,
> voting against the war's prolongation.
>
> Disregarding his massive underdog status, which will most likely
> preclude him from winning the Republican nomination, a Ron Paul
> presidency is the last thing Americans need. His abysmal record on the
> environment, his refusal to seek alternative fuel sources and his desire
> to make Bush's tax cuts permanent should alone be enough to discredit
> Paul's candidacy.
>
> Paul's presidential momentum is real, but only as real as the failure of
> both parties to end the occupation of Iraq. But the anger felt by
> Americans about the ongoing Iraq occupation and hubristic displays by
> those elected to stop it should not be funneled into a candidate who
> annually introduces a bill to eliminate the Internal Revenue Service.

P*@gmail.com
2007-06-08 06:49:03 EST
On Jun 7, 6:23 pm, Dan Clore <c...@columbia-center.org> wrote:

> Paul's presidential momentum is real, but only as real as the failure of
> both parties to end the occupation of Iraq.

That failure seems quite real to me, so I guess the momentum is real
too.

> But the anger felt by
> Americans about the ongoing Iraq occupation and hubristic displays by
> those elected to stop it should not be funneled into a candidate who
> annually introduces a bill to eliminate the Internal Revenue Service.

It makes a hell of a lot of sense than funneling that anger into
voting for someone who is pro war.

Congress needs to be slapped in the face. Or booted in the ass. Or
beaten up in an alley.

P*@gmail.com
2007-06-08 06:56:25 EST
On Jun 8, 4:45 am, Broderick Crawford <bcrawford2...@roadrunner.com>
wrote:
> Dan Clore wrote:
> > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>
> > [This starts off good, but.--DC]
>
> > The Daily Texan
> >http://tinyurl.com/28p366
> > Ron Paul's many faces
> > By:
>
> > "Vote Ron Paul 2008 -- the only REAL anti-war candidate," say Paul's
> > disciples, hungry for a politician with a consistent position on the
> > Iraq war.
>
> > A presidential candidate who opposes the Iraq war, the Patriot Act, the
> > death penalty, and the war on drugs, and one who understands the
> > relationship between the U.S.-Middle East policy and al-Qaida -- what
> > more could the left ask for?
>
> He's the only one in the debates who wasn't full of shit. The public
> will never go for it.

The public seems to be going for it. But the Republicans? Never.