Activism Discussion: Hypocritical Israelis Turn Away Darfur Victims

Hypocritical Israelis Turn Away Darfur Victims

Tim Howard
2007-08-21 02:01:56 EST
Of course Israeli hypocrisy is nothing new, but considering how Jews
were turned away from other European nations when they tried to flee the
Nazis, their policy of sending Darfur refugees back to probable death is
especially disgusting. I guess they don't want any non-Jews in Zion.

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Israel on Sunday rejected 50 Africans -- most of them
reportedly from Sudan's Darfur region -- who had illegally entered the
country from Egypt, a government official said.

The move angered many Israeli lawmakers and human rights advocates
because of reports that some Sudanese refugees are being killed or
mistreated by authorities in Egypt.

Israel has been struggling with how to cope with an increasing number of
Africans, including some from Darfur, who enter the country through
Israel's southern border with Egypt.

According to Israel's Haaretz newspaper, the refugees were arrested
Friday evening as they tried to cross from Egypt into Israel. They were
held at a military base in southern Israel before being driven back to
Egypt on Sunday, the newspaper reported.

The nationalities of the 50 sent back Sunday were not released, but the
Israeli newspaper Haaretz, citing figures from the Israeli military,
said nearly all of them had escaped the genocide in Darfur.

Speaking to CNN, Israeli government spokesman David Baker described them
as "economic refugees from Africa."

Baker told The Associated Press that Darfurians would not be immune from
Israel's ban on unauthorized immigrants.

Israeli law denies asylum to anyone from an enemy state, AP reports.
Sudan's Muslim government is hostile to Israel and has no diplomatic
ties with the Jewish state.

Eytan Schwartz, an advocate for Darfur refugees in Israel, told AP that
about 400 have entered Israel in recent years. Baker said they would be
allowed to live in Israel, and that the ban applied to new arrivals.

Dozens of Israeli lawmakers recently signed a petition urging the
government not to deport Sudanese refugees.

Arab militias supported by Sudan's government have committed numerous
human rights atrocities, U.N. officials say, including the slaughter and
gang rape of civilians, destruction of water sources, looting and
burning of buildings and crops.

Earlier this month, Israel's Channel 10 interviewed Israeli soldiers who
said they had witnessed Egyptian security officers executing several
Darfur refugees.

According to Channel 10, their testimonies were backed up by Israeli
military security cameras that showed Egyptian soldiers shooting and
killing several asylum-seekers.

Channel 10 did not air the video.

According to Haaretz, one of the asylum-seekers "jumped on the wire
fence in an attempt to make it over to the Israeli side, but was
reportedly dragged back and bludgeoned to death by the Egyptians."

Responding to the report, Human Rights Watch called on Egypt to
investigate the reported deaths.

There has been no public response from the Egyptian government.

An Israeli government official told Reuters that Israel had received
"Egyptian commitments" that refugees from Darfur would not be returned
to Sudan.

Since the beginning of the year, nearly 3,000 Africans have crossed from
Egypt into Israel -- nearly half of them from Sudan, many traveling on foot.

Many Sudanese refugees end up in Israeli prisons waiting for the
government to decide what to do with them. Israeli volunteers --
outraged at the incarcerations -- have helped many Sudanese find work in
Israel's agricultural communities and temporarily live in family homes
across Israel.

"This whole issue of people crossing over from Sinai, people from
Africa, to come to Israel is a new issue," Israeli Foreign Ministry
spokesman Mark Regev said. "And it's taken a while to get the government
to respond correctly."

BOLUDOVSKY
2007-08-21 05:22:17 EST
Tim Howard <tim.howard@suddenlink.net> dixit:

> Of course Israeli hypocrisy is nothing new, but considering how Jews
> were turned away from other European nations when they tried to flee
> the Nazis, their policy of sending Darfur refugees back to probable
> death is especially disgusting. I guess they don't want any non-Jews
> in Zion.

Darfur's victims are not Israel's problem. Israel is a tiny place. They
can find shelter in South Africa, Congo or other place.

BOLU

--
FREE GILAD SHALIT, EHUD GOLDWASSER AND ELDAD REGEV!
http://www.banim.org

Beaver
2007-08-21 08:39:02 EST
Israel asked other countries to help take them in. They have taken some
in, what muslim has ever taken a jew in? Quite the contrary most muslims
celebrate killing jews. They have absorbed over ten thousand ethiopians but
still its all sad and one would expect other arab countries to help out too.
Israel seems to have to live up to everyones expectation , when other nearby
countries don't even treat Israelis as if it exists.

"Tim Howard" <tim.howard@suddenlink.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> "Egyptian commitments" that refugees from Darfur would not be returned to
> Sudan.
>
> Since the beginning of the year, nearly 3,000 Africans have crossed from
> Egypt into Israel -- nearly half of them from Sudan, many traveling on
> foot.
>
> Many Sudanese refugees end up in Israeli prisons waiting for the
> government to decide what to do with them. Israeli volunteers --
> outraged at the incarcerations -- have helped many Sudanese find work in
> Israel's agricultural communities and temporarily live in family homes
> across Israel.
>
> "This whole issue of people crossing over from Sinai, people from Africa,
> to come to Israel is a new issue," Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark
> Regev said. "And it's taken a while to get the government to respond

Defendario
2007-08-21 23:07:13 EST
Still top-posting, eh numbnuts?

beaver wrote:
> Israel asked other countries to help take them in.

The jooz have been making the most noise about Darfur for the longest
time, mostly to distract the attention of the left from their own
failings wrt the Palestinians.

<REMAINDER OF MEALYMOUTHED CRAP FLUSHED>

> [...]
>>"Egyptian commitments" that refugees from Darfur would not be returned to
>>Sudan.
>>
>>Since the beginning of the year, nearly 3,000 Africans have crossed from
>>Egypt into Israel -- nearly half of them from Sudan, many traveling on
>>foot.
>>
>>Many Sudanese refugees end up in Israeli prisons waiting for the
>>government to decide what to do with them. Israeli volunteers --
>>outraged at the incarcerations -- have helped many Sudanese find work in
>>Israel's agricultural communities and temporarily live in family homes
>>across Israel.
>>
>>"This whole issue of people crossing over from Sinai, people from Africa,
>>to come to Israel is a new issue," Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark
>>Regev said. "And it's taken a while to get the government to respond

Tim Howard
2007-08-25 03:44:43 EST
beaver wrote:
> Israel asked other countries to help take them in. They have taken some
> in, what muslim has ever taken a jew in? Quite the contrary most muslims
> celebrate killing jews. They have absorbed over ten thousand ethiopians but
> still its all sad and one would expect other arab countries to help out too.
> Israel seems to have to live up to everyones expectation , when other nearby
> countries don't even treat Israelis as if it exists.

They could take in more than 400. But these are not muslims nor Arabs
you idiot. These are black Christians. It is the people of Arabic
descent, who are muslims, who are doing the killing. Because many Arabs
want to kill Jews, some want to wipe them out of the Middle East, this
is another reason why it is hypocritical for Israel to kick the refugees
out.

Jgarbuz
2007-08-26 12:32:09 EST
On Aug 26, 2:48 am, Tim Howard <tim.how...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> >> They could take in more than 400.
>
> > How many would they have to take in to *not* be hypocritical. Is the
> > number 4000, 40000 or 4000000?
>
> You are avoiding the issue. I never said they had to take in 4,000,000
> or 400,000.> Israel has taken in 400 or so. Places

> like the US, Canada, Brazil, Russia etc. have taken in zero.<

> So who's
> > the hypocrite? Look in a mirror, crossposting asshole.
>
> Perhaps you have never heard of the "Lost boys of the Sudan" program.
> Originally started in 2001, it has brought in thousands and thousands of
> Sudanese refugees into the U.S. I don't like to site Wikipeda too often
> because of their know inaccuracies, but since you sited them for
> something I will say that they quote a news source in Omaha which says
> 7,000 such refugees are living in Nebraska alone. Now before you slam
> me and say most of them are from Southern Sudan related to their civil
> war, my point is we are already helping Sudanese refugees.<

Okay, the US has 50 times the population of ISrael, and is 300 times
larger physically. So if Israel allows 400 to stay, that would be the
equivalent of
20,000 for the US. Did the US take in 20,000 of them? Israel in years
past has also taken in some Vietnamese boat people (who started the
"Chinese" restaurant businesses in ISrael, and have done very well),
as well as some Lebanese and even Kosovars. Israel is a tiny country,
that is already 25% non-JEwish. It was meant as a refuge for the
persecuted Jewish people and not for everyone on the planet. It' just
about the right size for that. The population density of the US is
almost exactly 100 per square mile. The population density of Israel
is now approaching ten times that, or nearly 1,000 per square mile.
And ISrael is 60% desert whereas the US is only 30% desert. The US
has enough room to fit in all of China if it wanted to. But Israel is
already almost bursting at the seams.

> Here is another article:
>
> On World Refugee Day, United States Leads World in Darfur Aid

The US is the third biggest and most richest country on the planet.
How does anyone compare it to a tiny country like Israel the size of
New Jersey???? And is 60% desert to boot! Only Russia and Canada are
bigger in size.