Activism Discussion: Interfaith Petition In Support Of Palestinians

Interfaith Petition In Support Of Palestinians

Defendario
2007-11-28 21:02:04 EST
Friends of Sabeel--North America
Voice of the Palestinian Christians

To: President George W. Bush
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
Members of United States Senate
Members of House of Representative

From: Religious Leaders and Organizations of Greater Chicago

We are a coalition of faith-based organizations, religious leaders,
and religiously identified organizations and individuals. We are
Christians, Muslims and Jews from the Greater Chicago region. We
represent communities with deep spiritual and family ties to Israel
and the occupied Palestinian territories and communities who are
deeply concerned about the humanitarian crises stemming from Israel's
40-year long military occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

We are calling on you, our country's leaders, to protest the Israeli
government's decision of September 19, 2007, to declare Gaza a
"hostile entity."

Israel claims that this designation gives it the freedom to cut
electricity, fuel, and other basic necessities to the 1.5 million
Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, half of whom are children and the
majority of whom are impoverished. Some 1.2 million Gazans already
depend on international food handouts to survive. Their situation has
been made significantly worse by Israel's frequent prevention of vital
supplies and services from entering Gaza. Through this new
declaration, the Israeli government appears to be attempting to
justify and gain political support for policies that already amount to
the collective punishment of a whole population.

Secretary Rice has stated that the U.S. "will not abandon the innocent
Palestinians in Gaza, and indeed will make every effort to deal with
their humanitarian needs." How can this commitment be upheld if our
government stands by silently while Israel moves to exacerbate an
already dire humanitarian crisis in Gaza? If the United States is
genuinely interested in fostering peace between Israelis and
Palestinians, the Israeli action cannot stand without rebuke.

The Israeli government justifies its policies as a way to pressure
Gazans to turn against those who fire crude homemade rockets into
Israel. Indeed, Palestinian rocket attacks on Israeli communities are
illegal and must be condemned. The firing of these Qassam rockets
killed four Israelis in 2006-2007; at the same time Israeli missile
strikes and military actions in civilian areas killed hundreds of
Palestinians in Gaza, including at least 147 children. These illegal
acts also deserve condemnation.

Israel's harsh strategy will only prejudice future negotiations to end
the conflict, which needs unified and empowered Palestinian and
Israeli leadership to reach a comprehensive peace agreement.

Therefore, we urge you to take immediate action to:

Call on the Israeli government to immediately rescind its decision to
designate Gaza as a "hostile entity."

Demand that Israel's government fulfill its obligation as an occupying
power under international humanitarian and human rights law to ensure
the welfare of the Palestinian population in the Gaza Strip, notably
its obligation to ensure the supply of essential necessities such as
electrical power and to allow the movement of people and goods.

Remaining silent in the face of growing impoverishment and threats
against the people of Gaza implies our consent. As people of faith
and as Americans, we expect our government to support policies that
foster peace and prosperity, not further violence and suffering in the
Middle East.

Collection of signatures is in progress. If you wish to add your
name, please contact lpollack@afsc.org <mailto:lpollack%40afsc.org> or
call 312-427-2533 x26.

List of Signatories to Interfaith Letter

1. The Rev. Dr. Larry L. Greenfield
Executive Minister
American Baptist Churches of Metro Chicago
Co-Convener, Chicago Faith Coalition on Middle East Policy

2. The Rev. Cotton Fite, Ph.D.
Priest Associate, St. Luke's Church, Evanston, IL

3. Michael McConnell, Regional Director
Great Lakes Region
American Friends Service Committee

4. Rev. Catiana McKay, Pastor
United Church of Rogers Park
Chair, Commission of Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns
Northern Illinois Conference
United Methodist Church, Chicago, IL

5. Elizabeth Mertic, Member
Lake Forest Friends Meeting

6. Imam Abdul Malik Mujahid
Chairman, Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago

7. Pauline M. Coffman, Ed.D.
Member, Middle East Task Force of Chicago Presbytery
Oak Park, IL

8. Joyce M. Cassel
Principal, Chicago Mennonite Learning Center

9. Newland F. Smith, 3rd
Church Network for Education on Palestine,
Episcopal Diocese of Chicago Peace and Justice Working Group

10. Delbert M. Leppke
Working Group on the Middle East
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), Metro Chicago
Synod

11. Rev. Harold Vogelaar, Ph.D.
Former Director: Center of Christian-Muslim Engagement for Peace and
Justice
The Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago

12. Rev. Susan B.W. Johnson
Hyde Park Union Church, Chicago, IL

13. The Rev. Andrea C. White, Ph.D. Candidate
The University of Chicago Divinity School
Minister of Adult Religious Education
The University of Chicago
Rockefeller Memorial Chapel

14. The Rev. Rich Landers
Hyde Park Union Church
Chicago, IL

15. Rev. Robert V. Thompson
Lake Street Church of Evanston
Evanston, IL

16. The Rev. George V. Hudgins, III
Pastor, Community Church of Wilmette
Wilmette, IL

17. Rev. Dr. M.L. Codman-Wilson
Sr. Pastor, Christ Community Church of Wheaton

18. Dieter R. Schulte
Member, Working Group on the Middle East
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Metro Chicago
Synod

19. Pam Edelmann Sall, Ebenezer Lutheran Church
Middle East Working Group of the Metropolitan Chicago
Synod of the Evangelical LutheranChurch in America

20. Rev. Phil Yetter, Pastor
First Baptist Church of Berwyn, Berwyn, IL

21. Mary E. Anderson
Church Women United
Barrington, IL

22. Lynn Pollack
Member, Jewish Voice for Peace
Evanston, IL

23. Rev. Don Wagner
Center for Middle Eastern Studies, North Park University
Chicago, IL

24. Rev. Paul G. Palmer
Pastor Emeritus
Community Presbyterian Church
Mount Prospect, IL

25. Rev. Dr. Sid L. Mohn

26. Martha Reese
Member, First United Church of Oak Park (PCUSA/UCC),
Middle East Task Force of Chicago Presbytery
River Forest, IL

27. Rev. Carol McVetty
Northshore Baptist Church, Chicago, IL

28. The Rev. Jeffrey Doane
Pastor, Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church
Chicago, IL

29. Rev. Jean Marie Duran
Living Lord Lutheran Church, ELCA
Bartlett, IL

30. The Rev. Kara Wagner Sherer
St. John's Episcopal Church
Chicago, IL

31. Tom Cordaro
Pax Christi USA Ambassador of Peace
Pax Christi Illinois

32. Edgar Hiestand
Ecumenical/Interrel
igious Office
North Illinois Conference United MethodistChurch
Oak Park, IL

33. Rev Beth Freese Dammers
Pastor, Presbyterian Church (USA)
First United Church of Oak Park
Oak Park, IL

33. Orlando Redekopp
Pastor, First Church of the Brethren
Chicago, IL

34. Bob Selby, Chair
Ministry for Peace and Justice
HOPE United Church of Christ
Naperville, IL

35. Rev. Paul A. Hottinger
Naperville, IL

36. The Rev Alan L. Streyffeler
Ordained clergyman of the United Methodist Church
Naperville, IL

37. Joan Ehrenberg
Unity Lutheran Church, Chicago and the ELCA Metro-Chicago Synod
Working
Group on the Middle East

38. Yali Amit
Member, KAM Isaiah Israel Synagogue

39. Lynn Kendall

40. Rev. Said Ailabouni
Barrington, IL

41. David W. Doudt
Chaplain, Provena St. Joseph Hospital, Elgin

42. Duane Mevis
Wesley United MethodistChurch
Naperville, IL

43. Working Group on the Middle East
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Metro Chicago Synod

44. John Lengle and Donna Lengle
Members, Highland Avenue Church of the Brethren
Elgin, IL

45. Rev. Calvin S. Morris, Ph.D.
Community Renewal Society
Chicago, IL

46. Jennifer Bing-Canar
National Director, Middle East Peacebuilding Program, AFSC
Chicago, IL

47. Bernard F. Reilly, Clerk
Peace and Social Concerns Committee
Evanston Friends Meeting

48. Jesse Bacon
Steering Committee Member - Jewish Voice for Peace - Chicago
Chicago, IL

50. Judith McAtee
Member, Western Springs Presbyterian Church
Western Springs, IL

51. David Boris
Board Member, North Suburban Peace Initiative

52. Rev. David Bebb Jones
Convener of the Middle East Task Force of the Presbytery

53. Caren Levy-Van Slyke
Member, Committee for a Just Peace in Israel and Palestine

54. Joy Reis, member, Jewish Voice for Peace-Chicago

55. Rabbi Roy Furman
Religious Studies Department
DePaul University
Chicago, IL

56. Rabbi Brant Rosen
Evanston, IL

57. Dr. Lauren Langman
Member, Tikkun-Chicago

58 . Mary Sotir
Member, St. Athanasius Peace and Justice Ministry
Evanston, IL

59. Rev. Daniel Dale
Wellington United Church of Christ,
Chicago, IL

60. Rebekah Levin
Member Secular Jewish Community and School of Oak Park
Oak Park, IL

61. Rev. Paul S. Allen
Pastor Emeritus, Winnetka Congregational Church
Winnetka, IL

62. Thomas L. Garlitz
Director
Catholic Diocese of Joliet Peace and Social Justice
Ministry

63. Rev. Dr. Jane Fisler Hoffman,
IL Conference, United Church of Christ

64. Reverend Christopher L. Pierson
Director of Connectional Ministries
Northern Illinois Conference of the United MethodistChurch
Elgin, IL

65. Mary Knightwright
United Methodist Deacon
Aurora, IL

66. The Rev Stephen H. Swanson
Pastor St. Paul Lutheran Church
Villa Park, IL

67. Archpriest Nicholas Dahdal, Dean
1220 S. 60th Court
St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church

68. Rev. Fr. Mousa Haddad
Church of the Virgin Mary
Alsip, IL

69. Pastor John Stoltzfus
Lombard Mennonite Church
Lombard, IL

70. Rev. Dr. Pamela R. Lightsey, PhD
Dean of Students
Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
Evanston, IL

71. Connie Baker
President, Church Network for Education on Palestine
Elmhurst, IL

72. Breeze Richardson
Clerk, on behalf of the 57th St. Meeting of Friends
Chicago, IL

73. Ahmed Rehab, Executive Director
Council on American Islamic Relations
Chicago, IL

Friends of Sabeel--North America
PO Box 9186, Portland, OR 97207
FOSNA.org

Mcs
2007-11-29 01:50:35 EST
Tis very simple, stop the bombing, stop the terror, recognize Israel, and
stop lobbing mortars over the border or is this too much realism to ask for?
Maybe you can get Jimmy Carter to join you too?
"Defendario" <Defendario@netscape.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> United Methodist Deacon
> Aurora, IL
>
> 66. The Rev Stephen H. Swanson
> Pastor St. Paul Lutheran Church
> Villa Park, IL
>
> 67. Archpriest Nicholas Dahdal, Dean
> 1220 S. 60th Court
> St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church
>
> 68. Rev. Fr. Mousa Haddad
> Church of the Virgin Mary
> Alsip, IL
>
> 69. Pastor John Stoltzfus
> Lombard Mennonite Church
> Lombard, IL
>
> 70. Rev. Dr. Pamela R. Lightsey, PhD
> Dean of Students
> Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
> Evanston, IL
>
> 71. Connie Baker
> President, Church Network for Education on Palestine
> Elmhurst, IL
>
> 72. Breeze Richardson
> Clerk, on behalf of the 57th St. Meeting of Friends

Defendario
2007-11-29 10:23:09 EST
mcs wrote:
> Tis very simple, stop the bombing

So simple, to a simpleton.

> stop the terror

Who terrorizes who more? Who gets killed more frequently?

> recognize Israel

Recognize the human rights of Palestinians, to live in freedom from fear
and military oppression.

> and
> stop lobbing mortars over the border

Stop your "targeted assassinations" you filthy criminal.

> or is this too much realism to ask for?

Who's reality?

Try this link for a little bit of it:
http://www.aztlan.net/holocoust.htm

> Maybe you can get Jimmy Carter to join you too?

Yes, I would hope so! I will be proud to stand together with an honest
man, and a patriotic American like Jimmy Carter.

You, OTOH, I'd rather take out with the trash. Aliya, already.

> [...]
>> United Methodist Deacon
>> Aurora, IL
>>
>> 66. The Rev Stephen H. Swanson
>> Pastor St. Paul Lutheran Church
>> Villa Park, IL
>>
>> 67. Archpriest Nicholas Dahdal, Dean
>> 1220 S. 60th Court
>> St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church
>>
>> 68. Rev. Fr. Mousa Haddad
>> Church of the Virgin Mary
>> Alsip, IL
>>
>> 69. Pastor John Stoltzfus
>> Lombard Mennonite Church
>> Lombard, IL
>>
>> 70. Rev. Dr. Pamela R. Lightsey, PhD
>> Dean of Students
>> Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
>> Evanston, IL
>>
>> 71. Connie Baker
>> President, Church Network for Education on Palestine
>> Elmhurst, IL
>>
>> 72. Breeze Richardson
>> Clerk, on behalf of the 57th St. Meeting of Friends

Al Smith
2007-11-29 10:50:30 EST
> Recognize the human rights of Palestinians, to live in freedom from fear and military oppression.
>
>> and stop lobbing mortars over the border
>
> Stop your "targeted assassinations" you filthy criminal.

The whole "Palestinians are firing rockets at us" argument is so
weak and so old, I'm surprised the Zionists even try to use it any
more. Of course the Palestinians are firing rockets at Israel,
since Israel is bulldozing their houses and murdering their
children. What else would anyone expect the Palestinians to do?

The good news is, more and more people are awakening to the real
situation in the Middle East, and are seeing Israel as the
problem. This is largely due to the Internet, which allows free
speech that the Jewish-controlled media cannot smother.

-Al-

Defendario
2007-11-29 11:08:12 EST
Al Smith wrote:
>> Recognize the human rights of Palestinians, to live in freedom from
>> fear and military oppression.
>>
>>> and stop lobbing mortars over the border
>>
>> Stop your "targeted assassinations" you filthy criminal.
>

> The whole "Palestinians are firing rockets at us" argument is so weak
> and so old, I'm surprised the Zionists even try to use it any more. Of
> course the Palestinians are firing rockets at Israel, since Israel is
> bulldozing their houses and murdering their children. What else would
> anyone expect the Palestinians to do?

Human wave attacks with machetes and spears if nothing better were
available. At least you can go out with your boots on.

> The good news is, more and more people are awakening to the real
> situation in the Middle East, and are seeing Israel as the problem. This
> is largely due to the Internet, which allows free speech that the
> Jewish-controlled media cannot smother.

Long live free speech. When enough people are aware of truth, logical
policies will follow.

> -Al-

Mcs
2007-11-29 21:08:47 EST
Tis very simple. stop lobbing mortars and the stuff will stop. but you and i
both know that they are allowed to fire at will and promise to not stop then
demand Rice to blame Israel.. sounds crazier by the minute.

> [...]
>>> United Methodist Deacon
>>> Aurora, IL
>>>
>>> 66. The Rev Stephen H. Swanson
>>> Pastor St. Paul Lutheran Church
>>> Villa Park, IL
>>>
>>> 67. Archpriest Nicholas Dahdal, Dean
>>> 1220 S. 60th Court
>>> St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church
>>>
>>> 68. Rev. Fr. Mousa Haddad
>>> Church of the Virgin Mary
>>> Alsip, IL
>>>
>>> 69. Pastor John Stoltzfus
>>> Lombard Mennonite Church
>>> Lombard, IL
>>>
>>> 70. Rev. Dr. Pamela R. Lightsey, PhD
>>> Dean of Students
>>> Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
>>> Evanston, IL
>>>
>>> 71. Connie Baker
>>> President, Church Network for Education on Palestine
>>> Elmhurst, IL
>>>
>>> 72. Breeze Richardson
>>> Clerk, on behalf of the 57th St. Meeting of Friends

Defendario
2007-11-30 01:12:41 EST
mcs wrote:
> Tis very simple. <ka-splat>