Activism Discussion: Study: Rates Of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Increased 61% After Abortion

Study: Rates Of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Increased 61% After Abortion

J Baker
2008-02-15 00:22:22 EST
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2008/feb/08021401.html

Study: Rates of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Increased 61% After Abortion

PRETORIA, February 14, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - According to a study
published in the journal BMC Psychiatry, women who have experienced abortion
have high levels of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which follow
findings from earlier studies linking abortion and PTSD.

The study of 155 women in South Africa who had abortions looked at symptoms
before abortion and at one month and three months after abortion. Almost
one-fifth of the women had symptoms that met the criteria for PTSD, leading
the authors to note that "high rates of PTSD characterize women who have
undergone voluntary pregnancy termination." Further, at three months after
the abortions, the number of women with PTSD had increased by 61 percent
compared to before the abortion.

The researchers compared levels of pain and psychological outcomes among
women who had received a local anesthetic versus those who had received IV
sedation. Women who had received a local anesthetic had higher levels of
pain before and during abortion and were more likely to experience PTSD
symptoms, but researchers found no difference in symptoms over a longer
period of time.

In other words, what the study found was that using one form of pain
management over the other did not effect rates of psychological trauma
experienced by women after abortion. These findings lend credence to the
theory that abortion itself is the cause of trauma for women, not the amount
of physical pain they experience.

This study is not the first to link abortion with increased levels of PTSD.
In a 2004 study published in the Medical Science Monitor, 65 percent of
American women who had undergone abortions reported symptoms of PTSD, which
they attributed to their abortions, and slightly over 14 percent reported
all the symptoms necessary for a clinical diagnosis of PTSD.

Other studies have linked abortion to higher rates of sleep disorders, which
are often associated with PTSD, as well as higher rates of anxiety
disorders, clinical depression, substance abuse, suicide, and other
problems. One study found increased rates of death from cardiovascular rates
among women who had abortions up to eight years earlier compared to women
who gave birth, which the researchers speculated could be related to trauma
symptoms.

The authors of the BMC study called for more screening to be done on women
prior to abortion in order to "help identify women at risk of PTSD and
provide follow-up care." However, there is no evidence that abortion
alleviates any psychological symptoms in women and abortion has been in fact
linked to increased mental health problems - including PTSD - after
abortion.

The Elliot Institute's model legislation, the Protection from High Risk and
Coerced Abortion Act, would require abortion businesses to screen women for
evidence that they are being coerced or forced into unwanted abortions and
for other risk factors that are likely to put them at risk for
post-traumatic stress and other problems after abortion.

"The abortion industry should not be subjecting women to a procedure that is
likely to increase or cause symptoms of post-traumatic stress or other
mental health problems," said Elliot Institute director Dr. David Reardon,
who has worked on more than a dozen studies documenting the psychological
impact of abortion on women. "Furthermore, the evidence shows that many of
these abortions are unwanted and the result of pressure or coercion from
others. The industry should be held liable for putting women at risk and
performing unwanted and dangerous abortions."

(Source: Sharain Suliman et. al., "Comparison of pain, cortisol levels, and
psychological distress in women undergoing surgical termination of pregnancy
under local anaesthesia versus intravenous sedation," BMC Psychiatry 2007,
7:24.)

(c) Copyright: LifeSiteNews.com. Permission to republish is granted (with
limitation*) but acknowledgement of source is *REQUIRED* (use
LifeSiteNews.com).

NEWS TIPS to lsn@lifesitenews.com or call toll free 1-866-787-9947.

Donate to LifeSiteNews.com at http://www.lifesite.net/contribute/

--
LC ~ confessed killer of his own sister

P*@gmail.com
2008-02-15 01:51:52 EST
On 15 fév, 06:22, "J Baker" <b...@ass.hole> wrote:
> http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2008/feb/08021401.html

Use serious sources if you want to be taken seriously, shit for brain.
"Life site" is as serious as the National Inquiror...

> Study: Rates of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Increased 61% After Abortion

Beside the fact that this is complete bullshit, I'm sure your mother -
knowing what you would turn out to be- would have chosen to have a
"post-traumatic stress disorder increase" instead of having you.

You wanna contribute to your anti-abortion cause? Stop posting your
verbal diarhea.

Lobby Dosser
2008-02-15 02:12:49 EST
p*2@gmail.com wrote:

> On 15 f\ufffdv, 06:22, "J Baker" <b...@ass.hole> wrote:
>> http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2008/feb/08021401.html
>
> Use serious sources if you want to be taken seriously, shit for brain.
> "Life site" is as serious as the National Inquiror...

You might read Before knee jerking. "lifesite" is Not the source, they are
merely reporting the study

LC
2008-02-15 11:18:09 EST

Every bit the "big f'ing asshole" he admits to being, "J Baker"
<*f@ass.hole> wrote in message news:1kvtc0.dkl.17.1@news.alt.net...

> Study: Rates of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Increased 61% After
> Abortion

As usual, you're full of shit, meth-boy.
Read and learn something.

Thanks to Ray Fischer for this:

> The study of 155 women in South Africa

And we know what crazy "J" says about Africa:

"these are Africans you're discussing; not the brightest, most rational of
people"
From: "J Young" <youngopinions@aol.com>

=?ISO-8859-1?B?qrqqYW5kY2Fyb2xl?=
2008-02-15 14:23:00 EST
On Feb 15, 2:12 am, Lobby Dosser <lobby.dosser.map...@verizon.net>
wrote:
> parsifal...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On 15 f'v, 06:22, "J Baker" <b...@ass.hole> wrote:
> >>http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2008/feb/08021401.html
>
> > Use serious sources if you want to be taken seriously, shit for brain.
> > "Life site" is as serious as the National Inquiror...
>
> You might read Before knee jerking. "lifesite" is Not the source, they are
> merely reporting the study

Parsleyfull is an idiot, he can't read.......

Cor
2008-02-15 16:42:08 EST
J Baker wrote:
> http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2008/feb/08021401.html
>

> Study: Rates of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Increased 61% After Abortion

In the clinics were the Christian Taliban protest women's entrance and
exit, even when they go to get their birth control pills?

Lobby Dosser
2008-02-15 18:38:00 EST
cor <corDEL@exchangenet.net> wrote:

> J Baker wrote:
>> http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2008/feb/08021401.html
>>

>> Study: Rates of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Increased 61% After
>> Abortion
>>

> In the clinics were the Christian Taliban protest women's entrance and
> exit, even when they go to get their birth control pills?

Could you repeat that in English, Luis.

Robert
2008-02-15 19:34:59 EST
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 07:12:49 GMT, Lobby Dosser
<*n@verizon.net> wrote:

>*2@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> On 15 f‚v, 06:22, "J Baker" <b...@ass.hole> wrote:
>>> http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2008/feb/08021401.html
>>
>> Use serious sources if you want to be taken seriously, shit for brain.
>> "Life site" is as serious as the National Inquiror...
>
>You might read Before knee jerking. "lifesite" is Not the source, they are
>merely reporting the study

Life site like other right wing organizations make up studies to
support their beliefs, Religions are based on lies and need lies to
sustain them,

Curt
2008-02-15 21:30:53 EST
On Feb 14, 9:22 pm, "J Baker" <b...@ass.hole> wrote:
> http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2008/feb/08021401.html
>
> Study: Rates of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Increased 61% After Abortion

Nonsense.

Curt

Lobby Dosser
2008-02-15 21:45:06 EST
Curt <obadiahlynch@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 9:22 pm, "J Baker" <b...@ass.hole> wrote:
>> http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2008/feb/08021401.html
>>
>> Study: Rates of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Increased 61% After
>> Abortion
>>

> Nonsense.
>
> Curt

Did you read the original? What are your qualifications?