Activism Discussion: Creationism Award To Ben Stein

Creationism Award To Ben Stein

Anonymous
2008-02-16 06:30:59 EST
Compound irony

Would you believe there is actually an award called
the "Award for Liberty and Truth"? You just know in
this Orwellian country of ours that it couldn't
possibly be given in recognition of actual liberty or
truth \ufffd but it's even worse than that.

It is the "Phillip E. Johnson" Award for Liberty and
Truth, and it's handed out by the Bible University of
Los Angeles, better known as Biola; named after a
prissy old fraud, given out by a bible college with
delusions of grandeur, and guess who the winner is
this year?

Ben Stein.

I like it.

It's a fake award by a fake college named after an
infamous creationist and now given to a second-rate
character actor. It's the creationist version of the
Nobel Prize!

2008-02-16 07:34:59 EST
On Feb 16, 5:30 am, Anonymous <cri...@ecn.org> wrote:
> Compound irony
>
> Would you believe there is actually an award called
> the "Award for Liberty and Truth"? You just know in
> this Orwellian country of ours that it couldn't
> possibly be given in recognition of actual liberty or
> truth ... but it's even worse than that.
>
> It is the "Phillip E. Johnson" Award for Liberty and
> Truth, and it's handed out by the Bible University of
> Los Angeles, better known as Biola; named after a
> prissy old fraud, given out by a bible college with
> delusions of grandeur, and guess who the winner is
> this year?
>
> Ben Stein.
>
> I like it.
>
> It's a fake award by a fake college named after an
> infamous creationist and now given to a second-rate
> character actor. It's the creationist version of the
> Nobel Prize!

Let's see he got an award for Creationism? Shouldn't that have gone
to GOD himself? Did this guy show slides of God in the act of
creating? How did he prove his theory? Did he find the bodies of
Eve and Adam and could tell they did not have belly buttons? There
is no reason not to believe that the theory of evolution has to
clash , at all, with your religious beliefs, if you had a brain at
all.

Christopher A. Lee
2008-02-16 08:28:34 EST
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:30:59 +0100 (CET), Anonymous <cripto@ecn.org>
wrote:

>Compound irony
>
>Would you believe there is actually an award called
>the "Award for Liberty and Truth"? You just know in
>this Orwellian country of ours that it couldn't
>possibly be given in recognition of actual liberty or
>truth … but it's even worse than that.
>
>It is the "Phillip E. Johnson" Award for Liberty and
>Truth, and it's handed out by the Bible University of
>Los Angeles, better known as Biola; named after a
>prissy old fraud, given out by a bible college with
>delusions of grandeur, and guess who the winner is
>this year?

It's like the Templeton Prize.

>Ben Stein.
>
>I like it.
>
>It's a fake award by a fake college named after an
>infamous creationist and now given to a second-rate
>character actor. It's the creationist version of the
>Nobel Prize!

Ben Stein always was a reigious loony. He's made unprovoked attacks on
atheists before, given non-apologies that he thinks settle the matter,
and always had the snide last word.

Budikka666
2008-02-16 08:51:56 EST
On Feb 16, 5:30 am, Anonymous <cri...@ecn.org> wrote:
> Compound irony
>
> Would you believe there is actually an award called
> the "Award for Liberty and Truth"? You just know in
> this Orwellian country of ours that it couldn't
> possibly be given in recognition of actual liberty or
> truth ... but it's even worse than that.
>
> It is the "Phillip E. Johnson" Award
[snipped rest]

A dickless fraud like Ben Stein needs a Johnson, that's for sure. I
could tell him where to put it if, as usual, he can't figure it out
for himself.

Budikka

Christopher A. Lee
2008-02-24 12:29:52 EST
wrote:

>Compound irony
>
>Would you believe there is actually an award called
>the "Award for Liberty and Truth"? You just know in
>this Orwellian country of ours that it couldn't
>possibly be given in recognition of actual liberty or
>truth … but it's even worse than that.
>
>It is the "Phillip E. Johnson" Award for Liberty and
>Truth, and it's handed out by the Bible University of
>Los Angeles, better known as Biola; named after a
>prissy old fraud, given out by a bible college with
>delusions of grandeur, and guess who the winner is
>this year?
>
>Ben Stein.
>
>I like it.
>
>It's a fake award by a fake college named after an
>infamous creationist and now given to a second-rate
>character actor. It's the creationist version of the
>Nobel Prize!

Antony Flew got the prize for a book fundies ghost wrote for him when
he was senile.

They didn't even have the sense to use English English not American.
But the expected audience wouldn't even notice this,

I wonder how they can sleep at night because they have no honesty, no
integrity and no shame.

But it pays him a comfortable retirement, if he is even aware of it.

And now Ben Stein.

Why don't they give it to people like John Shelby Spong who are trying
to bring the religion into the 21st century? There is no reason
believers have to be clueless fundamentalists, or why they think there
has to be a clueless fundy vs atheist false dichotomy.

Spong is trying to enable believers who think and accept reality to
remain Christian.

Which should be a far better goal for Templeton and his crowd.

Richard Carrier on Flew, including his ghost written book containing
standard flawed theist arguments:
http://secweb.infidels.org/?kiosk=articles&id=369

Keep going back to this link as it gets periodically updated.

Kenny McCormack
2008-02-24 13:27:57 EST
In article <sn83s3lqpolgtbbg57hdiqvp00e96nrdtq@4ax.com>,
Christopher A. Lee <calee@optonline.net> wrote:
>Why don't they give it to people like John Shelby Spong who are trying
>to bring the religion into the 21st century?

Um, religion *is* in the 21st century (In the US). That's most of our
problems.

>There is no reason believers have to be clueless fundamentalists, or
>why they think there has to be a clueless fundy vs atheist false
>dichotomy.

Actually, there is. Americans (especially, but also some Western
Europeans) seem to think you can keep these things (science and
religion) in separate spheres, but I seriously don't think it is really
possible - without extreme hypocrisy. It is this extreme hypocrisy that
is really destroying our society. Harris makes this point well, when he
says that "religious moderates" provide "deep cover" for fundamentalists.

Christopher A. Lee
2008-02-24 14:56:14 EST
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:27:57 +0000 (UTC),
g*e@xmission.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

In article <sn83s3lqpolgtbbg57hdiqvp00e96nrdtq@4ax.com>,
>Christopher A. Lee <calee@optonline.net> wrote:
>>Why don't they give it to people like John Shelby Spong who are trying
>>to bring the religion into the 21st century?
>
>Um, religion *is* in the 21st century (In the US). That's most of our
>problems.
>
>>There is no reason believers have to be clueless fundamentalists, or
>>why they think there has to be a clueless fundy vs atheist false
>>dichotomy.
>
>Actually, there is. Americans (especially, but also some Western
>Europeans) seem to think you can keep these things (science and
>religion) in separate spheres, but I seriously don't think it is really
>possible - without extreme hypocrisy. It is this extreme hypocrisy that
>is really destroying our society. Harris makes this point well, when he
>says that "religious moderates" provide "deep cover" for fundamentalists.

Harris is right.

But I disagree with what you say.

Most Western Europeans understand how the human mind can partition
itself between religion on Sunday and reality the rest of the week.

For the few serious believers there are there.

Apart from places like Poland, Religion is more of a cultural thing.

In Britain, many people call themselves Christian and never give it a
thought, only going to Christenings, weddings and funerals because
they are cultural rites of passage.

Rather like secular Jews still have Bar Mitzvahs.

And probably as the result of having to live among each other since
the Reformation, somebody's religion or lack of it is a personal
thing. Prosetylising is seen as just plain rude, let alone US-style
in-your-face aggressive evangelism.

Fundamentalists can't partition their minds that way, and operate in
Sunday mode all week.

They get their converts from the uneducated among the mainstream
Christians.

And unfortunately the USA has probably the least educated general
population of the developed world.

In a downward spiral because fundamentalists and creationists have
taken over so many school boards as well as one of the two major
political parties.

It is nothing short of a scandal that fundamentalist school boards can
control whether evolution is taught as part of science. This sort of
thing turns my adopted country into an international joke.

Susan Jacoby was correct when she described America as fifth grade.

David Wright
2008-03-02 23:08:20 EST
In article <20080216113059.A62631A7932@isole>,
Anonymous <cripto@ecn.org> wrote:
>Compound irony
>
>Would you believe there is actually an award called
>the "Award for Liberty and Truth"? You just know in
>this Orwellian country of ours that it couldn't
>possibly be given in recognition of actual liberty or
>truth \ufffd but it's even worse than that.
>
>It is the "Phillip E. Johnson" Award for Liberty and
>Truth, and it's handed out by the Bible University of
>Los Angeles, better known as Biola; named after a
>prissy old fraud, given out by a bible college with
>delusions of grandeur, and guess who the winner is
>this year?
>
>Ben Stein.
>
>I like it.
>
>It's a fake award by a fake college named after an
>infamous creationist and now given to a second-rate
>character actor. It's the creationist version of the
>Nobel Prize!

I hate people who steal the work of others.

The above was written by PZ Myers on his Pharylula blog.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at copper.net
"Without Bush, what will America's schoolchildren have to look down on?"
-- Bill Maher

Vedi
2008-03-03 01:47:51 EST
On Feb 24, 12:29 pm, Christopher A. Lee <ca...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:30:59 +0100 (CET), Anonymous <cri...@ecn.org>
> wrote:
>

> >Compound irony
>
> >Would you believe there is actually an award called
> >the "Award for Liberty and Truth"? You just know in
> >this Orwellian country of ours that it couldn't
> >possibly be given in recognition of actual liberty or
> >truth ... but it's even worse than that.
>
> >It is the "Phillip E. Johnson" Award for Liberty and
> >Truth, and it's handed out by the Bible University of
> >Los Angeles, better known as Biola; named after a
> >prissy old fraud, given out by a bible college with
> >delusions of grandeur, and guess who the winner is
> >this year?
>
> >Ben Stein.
>
> >I like it.
>
> >It's a fake award by a fake college named after an
> >infamous creationist and now given to a second-rate
> >character actor. It's the creationist version of the
> >Nobel Prize!
>
> Antony Flew got the prize for a book fundies ghost wrote for him when
> he was senile.
>
> They didn't even have the sense to use English English not American.
> But the expected audience wouldn't even notice this,
>
> I wonder how they can sleep at night because they have no honesty, no
> integrity and no shame.
>
> But it pays him a comfortable retirement, if he is even aware of it.
>
> And now Ben Stein.
>
> Why don't they give it to people like John Shelby Spong who are trying
> to bring the religion into the 21st century? There is no reason
> believers have to be clueless fundamentalists, or why they think there
> has to be a clueless fundy vs atheist false dichotomy.
>
> Spong is trying to enable believers who think and accept reality to
> remain Christian.
>
> Which should be a far better goal for Templeton and his crowd.
>
> Richard Carrier on Flew, including his ghost written book containing
> standard flawed theist arguments:http://secweb.infidels.org/?kiosk=articles&id=369
>
> Keep going back to this link as it gets periodically updated.

I challenged Ben Stein once to disprove PanDeism.... never heard a
peep back....