Activism Discussion: Bush Lack Of Oversight "Screwed" Markets: Sir Richard Branson

Bush Lack Of Oversight "Screwed" Markets: Sir Richard Branson

EconomicDemocracy Coop
2008-10-12 21:14:28 EST
Voters should pay attention to this (unusually) strong and direct
statement.

. Rush transcript (by yours truly) below points a devastating finger
at the de-regulatory fanaticism that characterizes Bush and Bush's
"understudy" McCain who voted 90% of the time with Bush, lack of
"administering" by the bush "administration" and lack of oversights
has caused this massive global meltdown.

Strong statement by Sir Richard Branson, founder and Chairman of
Virgin Group. After some cautiously optimistic statements on the
economy, this:

Q: You say cash is king, so finally, is not the time to get in the
market
or should people remain sitting on their hands making just a few
percent holding cash right now?

A: I think that..if banks are allowed
to lend amongst each other safely, securely, guaranteed by
government,..there will be a rally in the market. But, in the longer
term, I'm not sure that merkets are going to come roaring back. I
think, there's quite a long-term stagflation (low economic growth and
high inflation at the same time) ahead, a bit like Japan. We've all
got ot get otu there and make sure that [doesn't happen], and try to
work out way out of it, but, a handful of people in America, and in
Europe, have completely and utterly screwed, you know, screwed the
markets, for some time.

Q: Who?

A: A few bankers, a few mortgage people [lenders], and _terrible_
_regulation_, and, you know, I mean, this administration in America
[the Bush
Administration] did not.. did not _administer_, and therefore the
whole world is ["out in the cold"? "screwed"?"caught a cold?" hard to
hear. But "Paying for it" on Bush's extremist de-regulatory dogma and
lack of oversight, certainly]

CNNmoney.com -- 'Long-term stagflation ahead' 4:58

Billionaire Richard Branson says 'terrible regulation' and a few
individuals in banking and mortgages are to blame for the financial
crisis.

http://money.cnn.com/video/#/video/news/2008/10/09/news.patel.100908.cnnmoney

And find 'Long-term stagflation ahead' from menu which loads in
lower half of screen.

= = = =
STILL FEELING LIKE THE MAINSTREAM U.S. CORPORATE MEDIA
IS GIVING A FULL HONEST PICTURE OF WHAT'S GOING ON?
= = = =

= = = =
Sorry, we cannot read/reply to most usenet posts but welcome email
FOR MORE INFORMATION: http://EconomicDemocracy.org/wtc/ (peace)
http://economicdemocracy.org/eco/climate-summary.html (Climate)
And http://EconomicDemocracy.org/ (general)

** New email: econdemocracy[at]gmail[dot]com

Tom
2008-10-12 21:48:24 EST
EconomicDemocracy Coop wrote:
> Voters should pay attention to this (unusually) strong and direct
> statement.
>
> . Rush transcript (by yours truly) below points a devastating finger
> at the de-regulatory fanaticism that characterizes Bush and Bush's
> "understudy" McCain who voted 90% of the time with Bush, lack of
> "administering" by the bush "administration" and lack of oversights
> has caused this massive global meltdown.
>
> Strong statement by Sir Richard Branson, founder and Chairman of
> Virgin Group. After some cautiously optimistic statements on the
> economy, this:
>
> Q: You say cash is king, so finally, is not the time to get in the
> market
> or should people remain sitting on their hands making just a few
> percent holding cash right now?
>
> A: I think that..if banks are allowed
> to lend amongst each other safely, securely, guaranteed by
> government,..there will be a rally in the market. But, in the longer
> term, I'm not sure that merkets are going to come roaring back. I
> think, there's quite a long-term stagflation (low economic growth and
> high inflation at the same time) ahead, a bit like Japan. We've all
> got ot get otu there and make sure that [doesn't happen], and try to
> work out way out of it, but, a handful of people in America, and in
> Europe, have completely and utterly screwed, you know, screwed the
> markets, for some time.
>
> Q: Who?
>
> A: A few bankers, a few mortgage people [lenders], and _terrible_
> _regulation_, and, you know, I mean, this administration in America
> [the Bush
> Administration] did not.. did not _administer_, and therefore the
> whole world is ["out in the cold"? "screwed"?"caught a cold?" hard to
> hear. But "Paying for it" on Bush's extremist de-regulatory dogma and
> lack of oversight, certainly]
>
> CNNmoney.com -- 'Long-term stagflation ahead' 4:58
>
> Billionaire Richard Branson says 'terrible regulation' and a few
> individuals in banking and mortgages are to blame for the financial
> crisis.

I guess he doesn't know how the US system works. Its the congress that
passes the laws.

Vandar
2008-10-12 22:26:00 EST
EconomicDemocracy Coop wrote:

> Voters should pay attention to this (unusually) strong and direct
> statement.
>
> . Rush transcript (by yours truly) below points a devastating finger
> at the de-regulatory fanaticism that characterizes Bush and Bush's
> "understudy" McCain who voted 90% of the time with Bush, lack of
> "administering" by the bush "administration" and lack of oversights
> has caused this massive global meltdown.
>
> Strong statement by Sir Richard Branson, founder and Chairman of
> Virgin Group. After some cautiously optimistic statements on the
> economy, this:
>
> Q: You say cash is king, so finally, is not the time to get in the
> market
> or should people remain sitting on their hands making just a few
> percent holding cash right now?
>
> A: I think that..if banks are allowed
> to lend amongst each other safely, securely, guaranteed by
> government,..there will be a rally in the market. But, in the longer
> term, I'm not sure that merkets are going to come roaring back. I
> think, there's quite a long-term stagflation (low economic growth and
> high inflation at the same time) ahead, a bit like Japan. We've all
> got ot get otu there and make sure that [doesn't happen], and try to
> work out way out of it, but, a handful of people in America, and in
> Europe, have completely and utterly screwed, you know, screwed the
> markets, for some time.
>
> Q: Who?
>
> A: A few bankers, a few mortgage people [lenders], and _terrible_
> _regulation_, and, you know, I mean, this administration in America
> [the Bush
> Administration] did not.. did not _administer_, and therefore the
> whole world is ["out in the cold"? "screwed"?"caught a cold?" hard to
> hear. But "Paying for it" on Bush's extremist de-regulatory dogma and
> lack of oversight, certainly]
>
> CNNmoney.com -- 'Long-term stagflation ahead' 4:58
>
> Billionaire Richard Branson says 'terrible regulation' and a few
> individuals in banking and mortgages are to blame for the financial
> crisis.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/video/#/video/news/2008/10/09/news.patel.100908.cnnmoney

Oversight is Congress' job. It was proposed back in 2004 and 2005, but
the Democrats vehemently opposed it, saying that Fannie & Freddie were
fine (Barney Frank, Maxine Waters) and subprime loans are a good thing
(Obama) while Republicans were warning that they needed more regulation
and oversight on the GSEs (McCain).

EconomicDemocracy Coop
2008-10-12 22:57:07 EST
On Oct 12, 9:48 pm, Tom <s...@p.py> wrote:
> EconomicDemocracy Coop wrote:
> > Voters should pay attention to this (unusually) strong and direct
> > statement.
>
> > . Rush transcript (by yours truly) below points a devastating finger
> > at the de-regulatory fanaticism that characterizes Bush and Bush's
> > "understudy" McCain who voted 90% of the time with Bush, lack of
> > "administering" by the bush "administration" and lack of oversights
> > has caused this massive global meltdown.
>
> > Strong statement by Sir Richard Branson, founder and Chairman of
> > Virgin Group. After some cautiously optimistic statements on the
> > economy, this:
>
> > Q: You say cash is king, so finally, is not the time to get in the
> > market
> > or should people remain sitting on their hands making just a few
> > percent holding cash right now?
>
> > A: I think that..if banks are allowed
> > to lend amongst each other safely, securely, guaranteed by
> > government,..there will be a rally in the market. But, in the longer
> > term, I'm not sure that merkets are going to come roaring back. I
> > think, there's quite a long-term stagflation (low economic growth and
> > high inflation at the same time) ahead, a bit like Japan. We've all
> > got ot get otu there and make sure that [doesn't happen], and try to
> > work out way out of it, but, a handful of people in America, and in
> > Europe, have completely and utterly screwed, you know, screwed the
> > markets, for some time.
>
> > Q: Who?
>
> > A: A few bankers, a few mortgage people [lenders], and _terrible_
> > _regulation_, and, you know, I mean, this administration in America
> > [the Bush
> > Administration]  did not.. did not _administer_, and therefore the
> > whole world is ["out in the cold"? "screwed"?"caught a cold?" hard to
> > hear. But "Paying for it" on Bush's extremist de-regulatory dogma and
> > lack of oversight, certainly]
>
> > CNNmoney.com --  'Long-term stagflation ahead' 4:58
>
> > Billionaire Richard Branson says 'terrible regulation' and a few
> > individuals in banking and mortgages are to blame for the financial
> > crisis.
>
> I guess he doesn't know how the US system works.  Its the congress that
> passes the laws.

The laws were already on the book. Hint: read what he said. He didn't
say "failure to legistlate". It was failure to enforce the law. But
you knew that. Facts don't matter. It's all the fault of everybody
EXCEPT the Bush Administration, hey, don't look at us, we're only the
ones supposed to make sure the laws on the books are followed.. Keep
repeating "liberals!" and "you're with us or you're with the commies,
I mean terrorists!" and hope people don't pay attention to the facts,
same strategy as McSame

Tom
2008-10-13 06:44:42 EST
EconomicDemocracy Coop wrote:
> On Oct 12, 9:48 pm, Tom <s...@p.py> wrote:
>> EconomicDemocracy Coop wrote:
>>> Voters should pay attention to this (unusually) strong and direct
>>> statement.
>>> . Rush transcript (by yours truly) below points a devastating finger
>>> at the de-regulatory fanaticism that characterizes Bush and Bush's
>>> "understudy" McCain who voted 90% of the time with Bush, lack of
>>> "administering" by the bush "administration" and lack of oversights
>>> has caused this massive global meltdown.
>>> Strong statement by Sir Richard Branson, founder and Chairman of
>>> Virgin Group. After some cautiously optimistic statements on the
>>> economy, this:
>>> Q: You say cash is king, so finally, is not the time to get in the
>>> market
>>> or should people remain sitting on their hands making just a few
>>> percent holding cash right now?
>>> A: I think that..if banks are allowed
>>> to lend amongst each other safely, securely, guaranteed by
>>> government,..there will be a rally in the market. But, in the longer
>>> term, I'm not sure that merkets are going to come roaring back. I
>>> think, there's quite a long-term stagflation (low economic growth and
>>> high inflation at the same time) ahead, a bit like Japan. We've all
>>> got ot get otu there and make sure that [doesn't happen], and try to
>>> work out way out of it, but, a handful of people in America, and in
>>> Europe, have completely and utterly screwed, you know, screwed the
>>> markets, for some time.
>>> Q: Who?
>>> A: A few bankers, a few mortgage people [lenders], and _terrible_
>>> _regulation_, and, you know, I mean, this administration in America
>>> [the Bush
>>> Administration] did not.. did not _administer_, and therefore the
>>> whole world is ["out in the cold"? "screwed"?"caught a cold?" hard to
>>> hear. But "Paying for it" on Bush's extremist de-regulatory dogma and
>>> lack of oversight, certainly]
>>> CNNmoney.com -- 'Long-term stagflation ahead' 4:58
>>> Billionaire Richard Branson says 'terrible regulation' and a few
>>> individuals in banking and mortgages are to blame for the financial
>>> crisis.
>> I guess he doesn't know how the US system works. Its the congress that
>> passes the laws.
>
> The laws were already on the book. Hint: read what he said. He didn't
> say "failure to legistlate". It was failure to enforce the law. But
> you knew that. Facts don't matter. It's all the fault of everybody
> EXCEPT the Bush Administration, hey, don't look at us, we're only the
> ones supposed to make sure the laws on the books are followed.. Keep
> repeating "liberals!" and "you're with us or you're with the commies,
> I mean terrorists!" and hope people don't pay attention to the facts,
> same strategy as McSame
that too is congress job.

TimeOday
2008-10-13 10:09:41 EST
EconomicDemocracy Coop wrote:
> On Oct 12, 9:48 pm, Tom <s...@p.py> wrote:
>> EconomicDemocracy Coop wrote:
>>> Voters should pay attention to this (unusually) strong and direct
>>> statement.
>>> . Rush transcript (by yours truly) below points a devastating finger
>>> at the de-regulatory fanaticism that characterizes Bush and Bush's
>>> "understudy" McCain who voted 90% of the time with Bush, lack of
>>> "administering" by the bush "administration" and lack of oversights
>>> has caused this massive global meltdown.
>>> Strong statement by Sir Richard Branson, founder and Chairman of
>>> Virgin Group. After some cautiously optimistic statements on the
>>> economy, this:
>>> Q: You say cash is king, so finally, is not the time to get in the
>>> market
>>> or should people remain sitting on their hands making just a few
>>> percent holding cash right now?
>>> A: I think that..if banks are allowed
>>> to lend amongst each other safely, securely, guaranteed by
>>> government,..there will be a rally in the market. But, in the longer
>>> term, I'm not sure that merkets are going to come roaring back. I
>>> think, there's quite a long-term stagflation (low economic growth and
>>> high inflation at the same time) ahead, a bit like Japan. We've all
>>> got ot get otu there and make sure that [doesn't happen], and try to
>>> work out way out of it, but, a handful of people in America, and in
>>> Europe, have completely and utterly screwed, you know, screwed the
>>> markets, for some time.
>>> Q: Who?
>>> A: A few bankers, a few mortgage people [lenders], and _terrible_
>>> _regulation_, and, you know, I mean, this administration in America
>>> [the Bush
>>> Administration] did not.. did not _administer_, and therefore the
>>> whole world is ["out in the cold"? "screwed"?"caught a cold?" hard to
>>> hear. But "Paying for it" on Bush's extremist de-regulatory dogma and
>>> lack of oversight, certainly]
>>> CNNmoney.com -- 'Long-term stagflation ahead' 4:58
>>> Billionaire Richard Branson says 'terrible regulation' and a few
>>> individuals in banking and mortgages are to blame for the financial
>>> crisis.
>> I guess he doesn't know how the US system works. Its the congress that
>> passes the laws.
>
> The laws were already on the book. Hint: read what he said. He didn't
> say "failure to legistlate". It was failure to enforce the law. But
> you knew that. Facts don't matter. It's all the fault of everybody
> EXCEPT the Bush Administration, hey, don't look at us, we're only the
> ones supposed to make sure the laws on the books are followed.. Keep
> repeating "liberals!" and "you're with us or you're with the commies,
> I mean terrorists!" and hope people don't pay attention to the facts,
> same strategy as McSame

Besides, for his first 6 years, Bush had Congress in his pocket
(Republican majority), so they were practically one in the same.

EconomicDemocracy Coop
2008-10-13 13:04:37 EST
On Oct 13, 6:44 am, Tom <s...@p.py> wrote:
> EconomicDemocracy Coop wrote:
> >> I guess he doesn't know how the US system works.  Its the congress that
> >> passes the laws.
>
> > The laws were already on the book. Hint: read what he said. He didn't
> > say "failure to legistlate". It was failure to enforce the law. But
> > you knew that. Facts don't matter. It's all the fault of everybody
> > EXCEPT the Bush Administration, hey, don't look at us, we're only the
> > ones supposed to make sure the laws on the books are followed.. Keep
> > repeating "liberals!" and "you're with us or you're with the commies,
> > I mean terrorists!" and hope people don't pay attention to the facts,
> > same strategy as McSame
>
> that too is congress job.

"The United States Department of the Treasury enforces all existing US
Laws of a financial nature"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_the_Treasury

Sorry, you're right, we're wrong, the full wikipedia entry says: "The
United States Department of the Treasury enforces all existing US Laws
of a financial nature UNLESS it's s Republican President and something
bad happens. In that case, it's all the fault of the liberals!" My
bad. </sarcasm>