Activism Discussion: British May Ban 'happy Hour' As Drink Deaths Rise

British May Ban 'happy Hour' As Drink Deaths Rise

NewsToBeRead
2008-11-22 16:19:16 EST
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081122/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_drinking_deaths

British may ban 'happy hour' as drink deaths rise

By GREGORY KATZ, Associated Press Writer Gregory Katz, Associated Press
Writer - Sat Nov 22,

LONDON - Britain is considering a ban on "happy hour" discounts at bars and
restaurants to curb drinking, a spokesman said Saturday, as health advocates
warned that a rise in liver-related deaths among young people may signal a
future epidemic.

Health officials will decide on whether to ban the happy hours - designated
times for discount drinks - once an independent policy review is published
in coming weeks, a health department spokesman said on customary condition
of anonymity.

The proposal was one of several aimed at stemming a trend in binge drinking
in recent years, particularly among teenagers and young adults. The
government also plans to spend 10 million pounds ($15 million) on a new
public awareness campaign, and wants to improve enforcement of laws against
underage drinking.

A health advocacy group said some of those young people were now showing
signs of liver-related damage usually seen in older people.

Given that it can take 15 to 20 years for liver disease to develop, the
British Liver Trust warned that the figures suggested the problem would only
get worse.

"We're seeing a steep increase of deaths in people in their 20s and 30s,"
Trust spokeswoman Imogen Shillito said. "This indicates a big problem for
many years to come."

National statistics show a steady rise in the number of alcohol-related
deaths that typically fell heavy drinkers in their 40s and 50s who have
abused alcohol for decades. From 1991 to 2006, the number of such deaths
more than doubled to 8,758.

Alcohol-related deaths among people aged 25 to 29 were 40 percent higher in
2006 than the year before, Shillito said, citing national statistics.

Shillito said low prices for alcohol had helped encourage drinking among
British youths, noting "they can buy alcohol with their pocket money."

The government plans to base its new alcohol policies, including possible
new programs to help people reduce consumption, on the upcoming review by
the School of Health and Related Research at the University of Sheffield.

Officials say the report should clarify whether retail practices lead to
excessive drinking. They are considering a ban on a number of practices,
including drinking games and speed-drinking events popular at some British
pubs.

http://www.usenet.com

Mr. Nads
2008-11-22 21:14:07 EST

"NewsToBeRead" <NewsToBeRead@USA.Com> wrote in message
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081122/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_drinking_deaths
>
> British may ban 'happy hour' as drink deaths rise
>
> By GREGORY KATZ, Associated Press Writer Gregory Katz, Associated Press
> Writer - Sat Nov 22,
>
> LONDON - Britain is considering a ban on "happy hour" discounts at bars
> and restaurants to curb drinking, a spokesman said Saturday, as health
> advocates warned that a rise in liver-related deaths among young people
> may signal a future epidemic.
>
> Health officials will decide on whether to ban the happy hours -
> designated times for discount drinks - once an independent policy review
> is published in coming weeks, a health department spokesman said on
> customary condition of anonymity.
>
> The proposal was one of several aimed at stemming a trend in binge
> drinking in recent years, particularly among teenagers and young adults.
> The government also plans to spend 10 million pounds ($15 million) on a
> new public awareness campaign, and wants to improve enforcement of laws
> against underage drinking.
>
> A health advocacy group said some of those young people were now showing
> signs of liver-related damage usually seen in older people.
>
> Given that it can take 15 to 20 years for liver disease to develop, the
> British Liver Trust warned that the figures suggested the problem would
> only get worse.
>
> "We're seeing a steep increase of deaths in people in their 20s and 30s,"
> Trust spokeswoman Imogen Shillito said. "This indicates a big problem for
> many years to come."
>
> National statistics show a steady rise in the number of alcohol-related
> deaths that typically fell heavy drinkers in their 40s and 50s who have
> abused alcohol for decades. From 1991 to 2006, the number of such deaths
> more than doubled to 8,758.
>
> Alcohol-related deaths among people aged 25 to 29 were 40 percent higher
> in 2006 than the year before, Shillito said, citing national statistics.
>
> Shillito said low prices for alcohol had helped encourage drinking among
> British youths, noting "they can buy alcohol with their pocket money."
>
> The government plans to base its new alcohol policies, including possible
> new programs to help people reduce consumption, on the upcoming review by
> the School of Health and Related Research at the University of Sheffield.
>
> Officials say the report should clarify whether retail practices lead to
> excessive drinking. They are considering a ban on a number of practices,
> including drinking games and speed-drinking events popular at some British
> pubs.

> http://www.usenet.com

Fuck the Lymies, they've always been drunks anyway.

Dick Adams
2008-11-22 22:31:10 EST
mr. nads <crazedcal@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Fuck the Lymies, they've always been drunks anyway.

Spoken like a true drunk.

Mr. Nads
2008-11-23 16:31:33 EST

"Dick Adams" <rdadams@panix.com> wrote in message
> mr. nads <crazedcal@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fuck the Lymies, they've always been drunks anyway.
>
> Spoken like a true drunk.

Bottoms up!

Joel
2008-11-24 09:00:33 EST
NewsToBeRead <NewsToBeRead@USA.Com> wrote:
>A health advocacy group said some of those young people were now showing
>signs of liver-related damage usually seen in older people.
>
>Given that it can take 15 to 20 years for liver disease to develop, the
>British Liver Trust warned that the figures suggested the problem would only
>get worse.
>
>"We're seeing a steep increase of deaths in people in their 20s and 30s,"
>Trust spokeswoman Imogen Shillito said. "This indicates a big problem for
>many years to come."

Somebody hasn't done the math. If people in their 20's are
showing up with a disease that tales 15 to 20 years to develop,
they had to have started drinking heavily somewhere in the
5 to 14 year old range. All the "happy our" legislation in the
world won't solve that problem.
--
Joel Plutchak "Beer doesn't stain, if it's a light pilsner."
$LASTNAME at VERYWARMmail.com - Sheldon Miller

Bert Hyman
2008-11-24 09:10:46 EST
In news:ggec21$pds$1@badger.ncsa.uiuc.edu plutchak@see.headers (Joel)
wrote:

> NewsToBeRead <NewsToBeRead@USA.Com> wrote:
>
>>"We're seeing a steep increase of deaths in people in their 20s and
>>30s," Trust spokeswoman Imogen Shillito said. "This indicates a big
>>problem for many years to come."
>
> Somebody hasn't done the math. If people in their 20's are
> showing up with a disease that tales 15 to 20 years to develop,
> they had to have started drinking heavily somewhere in the
> 5 to 14 year old range. All the "happy our" legislation in the
> world won't solve that problem.

That's funny.

Look at the history of prohibition movements and see if any of them
actually rely on facts for their hysterical arguments.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com