Activism Discussion: Israel "Peace Offer" Would Maintain 230,000 Illegal West Bank Settlers

Israel "Peace Offer" Would Maintain 230,000 Illegal West Bank Settlers

EconomicDemocracy Coop
2009-01-30 14:33:01 EST
1. Israeli Peace Offer Would Maintain 230,000 West Bank Settlers
2. Israeli FM Promises “Maximum Settlers” on Palestinian Land
3. Report by Israeli Newspaper: Israel Hid Settlement Data

1. Israeli Peace Offer Would Maintain 230,000 West Bank Settlers

The Israeli government has admitted its most recent peace offer to
Palestinian negotiators would still leave more than 200,000 Jewish
settlers in the occupied West Bank. The offer was made in talks
between Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Palestinian President
Mahmoud Abbas. In meetings with US envoy George Mitchell, both Olmert
and Abbas confirmed the Israeli offer would remove just 60,000
settlers of the 290,000 in the West Bank. The remaining 230,000
settlers would stay in the large settlement blocs that nearly cut the
West Bank in half. Not a single Palestinian refugee would be granted
the right to return to their former home in Israel. Palestinians were
offered an equal amount of Israeli land in return and shared
sovereignty over parts of East Jerusalem. But the settlements are
widely considered illegal under international law and a non-starter
for many Palestinians. Palestinian negotiators reportedly refused a
demand to sign off on the deal that would then be handled by the
winner of the upcoming Israeli elections.

2. Israeli FM Promises “Maximum Settlers” on Palestinian Land

Former Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is leading polls and
has rejected any territorial concession to the Palestinians. And even
though the offer would still ensure Israeli control over key
settlement blocs, Netanyahu’s opponent, Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi
Livni, has distanced herself from the proposal as being too generous.
Livni said, “I will advance only an agreement that represents our
interests. Maintaining maximum settlers and places that we hold dear
such as Jerusalem—not a single refugee will enter.” Meanwhile,
Mitchell continued his Mideast tour with meetings in the occupied West
Bank. On Thursday, Mitchell sat down with Abbas in Ramallah.

Middle East envoy George Mitchell: “To be successful in preventing
the illicit trafficking of arms into Gaza, there must be a mechanism
to allow the flow of legal goods, and that should be with the
participation of the Palestinian Authority. President Obama has also
underlined our commitment to a better future for all Palestinians,
whose legitimate aspirations for an independent and viable state
should be met.”

3. Report: Israel Hid Settlement Data

Mitchell’s visit comes amidst reports the Israeli government has
deliberately hidden its own data showing rapid construction in West
Bank settlements.

The Israeli newspaper Haaretz reports an internal government survey
found construction in three out of four settlements was conducted
without proper permits and, in many cases, on private Palestinian
land. The Israeli group Peace Now said this week settlement expansion
grew 57 percent last year. Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said
Abbas told Mitchell that Israel’s blockade of Gaza and its expanding
West Bank settlements are the main obstacles to peace.

Saeb Erekat: “For the Israelis to continue their settlement
activities and at the same time to continue trying to separate between
the West Bank and Gaza, because we believe that the Israeli attacks
and aggression against Gaza—one of the objective is to keep the West
Bank separated from Gaza, and this cannot stand. The West Bank, the
Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem are a single territorial unit that’s the
territory of the Palestinian state, and we will spare no effort, as
President Abbas told Mr. Mitchell, to pursue, with the assistance of
our Egyptian brothers, the path of national reconciliation."

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/1/30/headlines#7

= = = =
STILL FEELING LIKE THE MAINSTREAM U.S. CORPORATE MEDIA
IS GIVING A FULL HONEST PICTURE OF WHAT'S GOING ON?
= = = =

On usenet (groups.google.com) see misc.activism.progressive

= = = =
Sorry, we cannot read/reply to most usenet posts but welcome email
FOR MORE INFORMATION: http://EconomicDemocracy.org/wtc/ (peace)
http://economicdemocracy.org/eco/climate-summary.html (Climate)
And http://EconomicDemocracy.org/ (general)

** New email: econdemocracy[at]gmail[dot]com

Drref
2009-01-30 18:06:46 EST

"EconomicDemocracy Coop" <econdemocracy@gmail.com> wrote in message
1. Israeli Peace Offer Would Maintain 230,000 West Bank Settlers
2. Israeli FM Promises \ufffdMaximum Settlers\ufffd on Palestinian Land
3. Report by Israeli Newspaper: Israel Hid Settlement Data

Lets make it clear. The palies are not getting their way. THEY get to
compromise.

Scotius
2009-02-02 18:03:08 EST
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:33:01 -0800 (PST), EconomicDemocracy Coop
<*y@gmail.com> wrote:

>1. Israeli Peace Offer Would Maintain 230,000 West Bank Settlers

1967 - Egypts' Nasser threatens to "...drive the Jews into the
sea".
- Starts a war with Israel.
- Israel occupies regions Egypt and Jordan had hoped to invade
Israel through (West Bank and Gaza Strip).
- UN gripes about Israel providing it's own security, calls
occupation "illegal", although clearly defensive and legal, etc.

... 2009. No one cares what the UN, Hannan Ashrawi, Hamas, etc
think about anything. Accustom yourself to that. It will do you good.

Alen
2009-02-02 20:31:56 EST
On Jan 31, 10:06 am, "drref" <jeffreykrantz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "EconomicDemocracy Coop" <econdemocr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> 1. Israeli Peace Offer Would Maintain 230,000 West Bank Settlers
> 2. Israeli FM Promises “Maximum Settlers” on Palestinian Land
> 3. Report by Israeli Newspaper: Israel Hid Settlement Data
>
> Lets make it clear. The palies are not getting their way.  THEY get to
> compromise.

It is refreshing to get honest revelations from the Israeli
side. The Palestinians will be offered a 'claytons' state,
i.e. a state you have when you are not having a state.

Is it any wonder Arafat walked away from so-called
negotiations.

I would think that the US Iraq army should be taken out
of Iraq and sent into the West Bank, to raze all the settlements
to the ground and set up a proper state for the Palestinians.

Alen

SilentOtto
2009-02-02 20:50:43 EST
On Feb 2, 6:03 pm, Scotius <yodas...@mnsi.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:33:01 -0800 (PST), EconomicDemocracy Coop
>
> <econdemocr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >1. Israeli Peace Offer Would Maintain 230,000 West Bank Settlers
>
>         1967 - Egypts' Nasser threatens to "...drive the Jews into the
> sea".
>         - Starts a war with Israel.
>         - Israel occupies regions Egypt and Jordan had hoped to invade
> Israel through (West Bank and Gaza Strip).
>         - UN gripes about Israel providing it's own security, calls
> occupation "illegal", although clearly defensive and legal, etc.
>
>         ... 2009. No one cares what the UN, Hannan Ashrawi, Hamas, etc
> think about anything. Accustom yourself to that. It will do you good.

Tell me...

With the slowly increasing economic and military power of Islamic
states in the Middle East, what do you suppose Israel's long term
prospects are if they won't find a path to peace with the
Palestinians?

It took the Muslims around a century to evict the crusaders.

But, evict them they did.

Heh heh...

Rightards...

There's a whole world past the end of your nose.

Drref
2009-02-02 22:51:32 EST

"alen" <alen1@westserv.net.au> wrote in message
On Jan 31, 10:06 am, "drref" <jeffreykrantz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "EconomicDemocracy Coop" <econdemocr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> 1. Israeli Peace Offer Would Maintain 230,000 West Bank Settlers
> 2. Israeli FM Promises \ufffdMaximum Settlers\ufffd on Palestinian Land
> 3. Report by Israeli Newspaper: Israel Hid Settlement Data
>
> Lets make it clear. The palies are not getting their way. THEY get to
> compromise.

It is refreshing to get honest revelations from the Israeli
side. The Palestinians will be offered a 'claytons' state,
i.e. a state you have when you are not having a state.

Is it any wonder Arafat walked away from so-called
negotiations.

I would think that the US Iraq army should be taken out
of Iraq and sent into the West Bank, to raze all the settlements
to the ground and set up a proper state for the Palestinians.

Alen

No problem: NOW they can have nothing.