Activism Discussion: Confused About Muslims In Houston? Call 877-WHY-ISLAM

Confused About Muslims In Houston? Call 877-WHY-ISLAM

Dan
2009-02-02 02:22:55 EST
Confused about Muslims? Give one a call
Billboard advertises toll-free information line
By LINDSAY WISE
Houston Chronicle
Jan. 28, 2009, 6:01AM

James Nielsen Chronicle

Ever wonder what the Quran has to say about terrorism? Why Muslim women
wear veils? What Islam teaches about Jesus?

Ask a Muslim. All you have to do is call 1-877-WHY-ISLAM.

A billboard advertising the toll-free number sprang up last month on FM
1960 near Interstate 45. Similar ones have also been posted in San
Antonio, Dallas, El Paso and two dozen other U.S. cities.

The billboards are part of a nationwide campaign by the Islamic Circle
of North America to educate non-Muslims about Islam and promote
interfaith dialogue.

Calls to the hot line are answered in New Jersey by ICNA volunteers, who
field an average of 1,000 queries a month on everything from the life of
the Prophet Muhammad to the definition of jihad. The billboard also
advertises a Web site, www.whyislam.org, where people can e-mail
questions, participate in discussion forums, request free copies of the
Quran, or schedule a visit to a mosque.

?The idea was to help answer the questions that people have about
Islam,? said ICNA board member Hanif Harris, a 38-year-old Realtor from
Clear Lake. ?This way, they?ll get the answers directly from Muslims.?

Harris, who grew up in Philadelphia, converted to Islam in 1991. Over
the years, he?s often had to correct misconceptions about Islam among
co-workers and family members.
Funded by local chapter

Shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, his mother called
him up and asked if he was thinking of becoming a suicide bomber. Harris
was dumbfounded. ?I said, ?Mom, you know, suicide is a sin! No, I?m not
thinking about being a suicide bomber.? I said, ?Don?t judge Islam by
what you see in some Muslims. Judge Islam by what?s in the Quran.
There?s nowhere it says in our Quran to kill and murder innocent people.??

Of course, most people can?t simply call up a Muslim relative to discuss
Islam. That?s why Harris hopes ICNA?s toll-free number and Web site will
help Muslims and non-Muslims talk to each other.

?When you watch CNN or MSNBC, you hear so much that is negative about
Muslims, so for somebody who doesn?t know much about Islam, they would
turn on the news and think, ?Wow, Muslims, they really don?t like us,??
he said. ?So this is a way for us to really build bridges with people of
other faiths and let them know we?re not like what you might hear on the
news.?

ICNA?s Houston chapter paid $3,000 for the billboard in north Harris
County with donations from local Muslims, said ILyas Choudry,
coordinator for the group?s charitable arm, Helping Hands. The
44-year-old civil engineer from west Houston said he hopes to raise
enough money to keep the billboard year-round, moving it to different
locations throughout the Houston area every three months.

The goal is to counter stereotypes about Muslims and spread God?s word,
not to convert anybody, Choudry said.

?The Quran says, ?There is no compulsion in religion,?? he said. ?Our
job is not to convince people, our job is just to convey that message.?
Treated with respect

Although most callers to the hot line are polite and curious, a few do
have axes to grind, said Ashfaq Parkar, assistant coordinator of ICNA?s
?Why Islam? project.

?Sometimes you find that people will start out a little bit aggressive
or hostile, but it?s important for people answering the calls to think,
?Why are people like this?? They have certain impressions and that?s why
they?re calling,? Parkar said. ?We treat everyone with respect, and we
try to understand their views and engage with them.?

Al Nakba
2009-02-04 04:51:59 EST
On Feb 1, 11:22 pm, Dan <Danwig...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> locations throughout the Houston area every three months.
>
> The goal is to counter stereotypes about Muslims and spread God?s word,
> not to convert anybody, Choudry said.
>
> ?The Quran says, ?There is no compulsion in religion,?? he said. ?Our
> job is not to convince people, our job is just to convey that message.?
> Treated with respect
>
> Although most callers to the hot line are polite and curious, a few do
> have axes to grind, said Ashfaq Parkar, assistant coordinator of ICNA?s
> ?Why Islam? project.
>
> ?Sometimes you find that people will start out a little bit aggressive
> or hostile, but it?s important for people answering the calls to think,
> ?Why are people like this?? They have certain impressions and that?s why
> they?re calling,? Parkar said. ?We treat everyone with respect, and we
> try to understand their views and engage with them.?

Dial 1-800-GOT-GOAT..

W.Vanguard
2009-02-04 05:27:08 EST
Al Nakba wrote:
> [...]
>> locations throughout the Houston area every three months.
>>
>> The goal is to counter stereotypes about Muslims and spread God?s word,
>> not to convert anybody, Choudry said.
>>
>> ?The Quran says, ?There is no compulsion in religion,?? he said. ?Our
>> job is not to convince people, our job is just to convey that message.?
>> Treated with respect
>>
>> Although most callers to the hot line are polite and curious, a few do
>> have axes to grind, said Ashfaq Parkar, assistant coordinator of ICNA?s
>> ?Why Islam? project.
>>
>> ?Sometimes you find that people will start out a little bit aggressive
>> or hostile, but it?s important for people answering the calls to think,
>> ?Why are people like this?? They have certain impressions and that?s why
>> they?re calling,? Parkar said. ?We treat everyone with respect, and we
>> try to understand their views and engage with them.?

I am surprised that you post your private phone number.

Al Nakba
2009-02-04 11:47:48 EST
On Feb 4, 2:27 am, "W.Vanguard" <ea...@mil.gov> wrote:
> [...]
> >> not to convert anybody, Choudry said.
>
> >> ?The Quran says, ?There is no compulsion in religion,?? he said. ?Our
> >> job is not to convince people, our job is just to convey that message.?
> >> Treated with respect
>
> >> Although most callers to the hot line are polite and curious, a few do
> >> have axes to grind, said Ashfaq Parkar, assistant coordinator of ICNA?s
> >> ?Why Islam? project.
>
> >> ?Sometimes you find that people will start out a little bit aggressive
> >> or hostile, but it?s important for people answering the calls to think,
> >> ?Why are people like this?? They have certain impressions and that?s why
> >> they?re calling,? Parkar said. ?We treat everyone with respect, and we
> >> try to understand their views and engage with them.?
>
> > Dial 1-800-GOT-GOAT..
>
> I am surprised that you post your private phone number.- Hide quoted text -

You are mistaken. It is your mother's phone number, O ibn sharmuta!

Don Ocean
2009-02-05 01:10:16 EST
Al Nakba wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2:27 am, "W.Vanguard" <ea...@mil.gov> wrote:
>> Al Nakba wrote:
>>> Dial 1-800-GOT-GOAT..
>> I am surprised that you post your private phone number.- Hide quoted text -

> You are mistaken. It is your mother's phone number, O ibn sharmuta!

Not so. My mother has your mother on a leash, taking yours for a walk.

Al Nakba
2009-02-05 02:26:13 EST
On Feb 4, 10:10 pm, Don Ocean <oc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Al Nakba wrote:
> >> I am surprised that you post your private phone number.- Hide quoted text -

> > You are mistaken. It is your mother's phone number, O ibn sharmuta!
>
> Not so. My mother has your mother on a leash, taking yours for a walk.- Hide quoted text -

Who asked you, you mischlinge albino pygmy? Did Achmed let you come up
for breath, smegma breath? Are you and vanguard bungholing each other
again?

Don Ocean
2009-02-06 04:33:48 EST
Al Nakba wrote:
> On Feb 4, 10:10 pm, Don Ocean <oc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Al Nakba wrote:
>>> You are mistaken. It is your mother's phone number, O ibn sharmuta!
>> Not so. My mother has your mother on a leash, taking yours for a walk.- Hide quoted text -

> Who asked you, you mischlinge albino pygmy? Did Achmed let you come up
> for breath, smegma breath? Are you and vanguard bungholing each other
> again?

I do believe he is busy doing you on net. ;-p

Al Nakba
2009-02-06 14:04:56 EST
On Feb 6, 1:33 am, Don Ocean <oc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Al Nakba wrote:
> >> Not so. My mother has your mother on a leash, taking yours for a walk.- Hide quoted text -

> > Who asked you, you mischlinge albino pygmy? Did Achmed let you come up
> > for breath, smegma breath? Are you and vanguard bungholing each other
> > again?
>
> I do believe he is busy doing you on net. ;-p- Hide quoted text -

He is allowed on the premises when the plumbing in the house won't
flush. Much like yourself, he can be rented as a portable urinal. he
states that you gave him the idea..