Activism Discussion: CAN’T_RUN_OFF_TO_ISRAEL?

CAN’T_RUN_OFF_TO_ISRAEL?

Dan
2009-03-13 12:35:01 EST
MADOFF CAN’T RUN OFF TO ISRAEL

March 12, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Blatant anti Semitism!!!! Nothing more, nothing less!
Just because the man is responsible for the theft of over 65 BILLION
dollars…. is that reason to deny him bail, allowing him to jump it and
flee to Israel where he could be a member of Knesset, joining other
criminals who are guilty of much more serious crimes….. mass murder
among them.

Would the man get the same treatment if he wasn’t ‘one of the chosen’?
One can’t help but wonder.

Sheesh!!!!! What is this world coming to? The man did plead guilty….
still he was sentenced to 150 years behind bars. Such a gross violation
of justice.

The following report from the New York Times tells it all……

Madoff Is Jailed After Pleading Guilty
By Diana B. Henriques and Jack Healy

The disgraced financier Bernard L. Madoff was immediately handcuffed and
led off to jail on Thursday after a hearing in which he pleaded guilty
to running a vast Ponzi scheme that bilked investors out of billions of
dollars.

Rather than letting Mr. Madoff remain free on bail and return to his
apartment on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Judge Denny Chin of
Federal District Court ordered Mr. Madoff remanded as he awaited sentencing.

He has incentive to flee, he has the means to flee, and thus he presents
the risk of flight,” Judge Chin said. “Bail is revoked.”

Some of Mr. Madoff’s victims in the courtroom applauded his ruling.

The 11 counts of fraud, money laundering, perjury and theft to which Mr.
Madoff pleaded guilty carry maximum terms totaling 150 years. Sentencing
was scheduled for June 16.

Dressed in a charcoal-gray suit, Mr. Madoff, 70, appeared in a downtown
Manhattan courtroom packed with journalists, lawyers and some of his
victims and, for the first time, described the scope of what was perhaps
the largest fraud in Wall Street history.

Mr. Madoff was sworn in and reminded that he was under oath. Noting that
he had waived indictment, Judge Chin asked, “How do you now plead,
guilty or not guilty?”

“Guilty,” Mr. Madoff responded.

Flanked by his lawyers, Mr. Madoff began to answer questions from Judge
Chin about whether he understood the ramifications of his guilty plea,
whether he was satisfied with his legal representation and whether he
was competent to enter the plea.

At first, Mr. Madoff’s voice was barely audible as he acknowledged the
litany of crimes.

“Try to keep your voice up so that I can hear you, please,” Judge Chin
said. At one point, Mr. Madoff asked for water.

In recounting how he sustained a 20-year fraud whose collapse erased as
much as $65 billion that his customers thought they had in their
accounts, Mr. Madoff said, “I believed it would end shortly and I would
be able to extricate myself and my clients from the scheme.”

“As the years went by, I realized this day, and my arrest, would
inevitably come.”

“I cannot adequately express how sorry I am for what I have done,” he
said. “I am deeply sorry and ashamed.”

Although Mr. Madoff admitted to operating what he called “a Ponzi scheme
through the investment advisory side of my business,” he said all other
aspects of his enterprise, operated by his sons and brother, were
legitimate, profitable and successful.

Mr. Madoff’s fraud was a global scheme that ensnared hedge funds,
nonprofit groups and celebrities, and devastated the life savings of
thousands of people.

Some of them came to court on Thursday to speak during the 75-minute
court hearing.

One was Maureen Ebel, who said: “If we go to trial we have more of a
chance to comprehend the global scope of this horrendous crime. We can
hear and bear witness to the pain that Mr. Madoff has inflicted on the
young, the old and the infirm.”

A federal prosecutor, Marc O. Litt, said the government was continuing
its investigation and was looking for assets and anyone else who might
be criminally responsible.

It remains unclear where the billions of dollars that his victims lost
has gone, and whether those victims will ever see any meaningful
restitution. Prosecutors have said the government is seeking $170
billion in forfeited assets from Mr. Madoff, apparently representing all
the money that ran through Madoff accounts traceable to the crimes.

A court-appointed trustee liquidating Mr. Madoff’s business has so far
only been able to identify about $1 billion in assets to satisfy claims.

This week, the government said Mr. Madoff had 4,800 client accounts at
the end of November supposedly containing $64.8 billion in customer
savings. But the government said Mr. Madoff’s business “held only a
small fraction of that balance.”

As Mr. Madoff arrived at the courthouse early Thursday morning,
helicopters buzzed overhead and television news trucks lined the street.
The day’s events marked a coda in the saga of a man whose name has
become shorthand for an entire era of greed and deceit on Wall Street.

With the promise of steady, unwavering returns, Bernard L. Madoff
Investment Securities enticed thousands of investors including boldface
names like Senator Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey, the Hall of Fame
pitcher Sandy Koufax and a charity run by the Nobel Peace Prize laureate
Elie Wiesel.

This week, the government offered more details on how Mr. Madoff ran the
fraud that had financed his lush lifestyle of a beachfront mansion in
the Hamptons, an estate near the French Riviera and yachts in New York,
Florida and the Mediterranean.

Prosecutors said that Mr. Madoff concocted an elaborate charade to make
it seem like he was running a legitimate investment business when, in
reality, “no such business was actually being conducted.” He hired
employees with little training or experience and directed them to
generate false monthly account statements.

He shuttled millions between banks in New York and London to make it
seem as if he was “conducting securities transactions in Europe on
behalf of investors when, in fact, he was not conducting such
transactions,” prosecutors said. And they said he repeatedly lied to
regulators from the Securities and Exchange Commission to cover up his
scheme.

http://desertpeace.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/madoff-cant-run-off-to-israel/

William Hubbard
2009-03-13 12:41:09 EST
On Mar 13, 9:35 am, Dan <Danwig...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> fraud that had financed his lush lifestyle of a beachfront mansion in
> the Hamptons, an estate near the French Riviera and yachts in New York,
> Florida and the Mediterranean.
>
> Prosecutors said that Mr. Madoff concocted an elaborate charade to make
> it seem like he was running a legitimate investment business when, in
> reality, “no such business was actually being conducted.” He hired
> employees with little training or experience and directed them to
> generate false monthly account statements.
>
> He shuttled millions between banks in New York and London to make it
> seem as if he was “conducting securities transactions in Europe on
> behalf of investors when, in fact, he was not conducting such
> transactions,” prosecutors said. And they said he repeatedly lied to
> regulators from the Securities and Exchange Commission to cover up his

Send Madoff to fraudi arabia!

Susie
2009-03-13 12:59:44 EST

> “I cannot adequately express how sorry I am for what I have done,” he
> said. “I am deeply sorry and ashamed.”

Well, you can express where monies are hidden,plus names and
numbers of swiss bank accounts, etc. You can ask that any
money left , like Ruth's 68 million , can be divided up and
returned to scammed investors. Also what your brother, sons,
bogus accountants, etc. have should be recaptured and divided
up as well.

A425couple
2009-03-14 13:22:55 EST
"Dan" <Danwigin2@hotmail.com> wrote in message ...
> MADOFF CAN’T RUN OFF TO ISRAEL March 12, 2009 at 5:04 pm
> Blatant anti Semitism!!!! Nothing more, nothing less!

Well, I am of the personal opinion,
that in this post,
Dan's "sarcasm" switch was "ON",
(and the rheostat control was set at "HIGHLY enabled") !

> Just because the man is responsible for the theft of over 65 BILLION
> dollars…. is that reason to deny him bail, allowing him to jump it and
> flee

YES. IMHO it is very good reason to decide
"GO TO JAIL, DO NOT PASS GO!"

But, will admit, I kind of thought that point was
reached when he was caught trying to mail/hide
assets a couple of weeks ago.

A425couple
2009-03-14 13:35:24 EST
"Susie" <robbielynnwynn@yahoo.com> wrote in message ...

-> “I cannot adequately express how sorry I am for what I have done,” he
-> said. “I am deeply sorry and ashamed.”

-Well, you can express where monies are hidden,plus names and
-numbers of swiss bank accounts, etc. You can ask that any
-money left , like Ruth's 68 million , can be divided up and
-returned to scammed investors. Also what your brother, sons,
-bogus accountants, etc. have should be recaptured and divided
-up as well.

Oh, but that would require "true contrition".
(as opposed to PC words).
I do not think most of us have seen that yet.

A425couple
2009-03-14 14:08:55 EST
"Susie" <robbielynnwynn@yahoo.com> wrote in message ...

-> “I cannot adequately express how sorry I am for what I have done,” he
-> said. “I am deeply sorry and ashamed.”

- -- You can ask that any money left, like Ruth's 68 million ,
- can be divided up and returned to scammed investors. --

In my humble opinion, this raises a very interesting point.
Certainly, there are some clear "bad guys" in this.
And, also certainly some "innocents".
But, also a large number in questionable areas.

Take an "investor" who early on deposited say
$500,000. And they have since withdrawn
$1,000,000. Yet, they were/are still owed on
the books $1,000,000.
Hmmm, claim they victim's of loss of 1 million??
Or, errr, recognize they already profited by
$500,000, and thus put that back in pot
for redistribution??
Impossible, because they already used it for
living expenses?? !

Ahhh, plenty of work for accountants and lawyers!

Quintal
2009-03-15 21:00:51 EST
In article <gpgptd022ot@news7.newsguy.com>, a425couple@hotmail.com
says...
> "Susie" <robbielynnwynn@yahoo.com> wrote in message ...
>
> -> ?I cannot adequately express how sorry I am for what I have done,? he
> -> said. ?I am deeply sorry and ashamed.?
>
> -Well, you can express where monies are hidden,plus names and
> -numbers of swiss bank accounts, etc. You can ask that any
> -money left , like Ruth's 68 million , can be divided up and
> -returned to scammed investors. Also what your brother, sons,
> -bogus accountants, etc. have should be recaptured and divided
> -up as well.
>
> Oh, but that would require "true contrition".
> (as opposed to PC words).

it's not just PC words, it's his defense in court
it's the best lie he could come up with to mitigate his sentence

on a fraud of such a scale i dont think it's clever to focus on the one
guilty guy who was running the operation

it'd be better to look at the system and maybe the groups which made it
happen

> I do not think most of us have seen that yet.

Well you could have him hung in publioc place, or dismembered in hot
oil. Wouldnt help much either.

Or you could make him poor in prison, not only stay in prison.
His "wife" keeps the hundreds of millions of dollars that remained from
his business.
in prison money is everything they say.

then you will see the next holywood movie about how great the scammer
is, how heroic, fun, bright, divine etc.

--
blog : http://quintaldo.wordpress.com/

files site : http://www.divshare.com/download/5059726-d25

Quintal
2009-03-15 21:02:41 EST
In article <gpgp640227p@news7.newsguy.com>, a425couple@hotmail.com
says...
> "Dan" <Danwigin2@hotmail.com> wrote in message ...
> > MADOFF CAN?T RUN OFF TO ISRAEL March 12, 2009 at 5:04 pm
> > Blatant anti Semitism!!!! Nothing more, nothing less!
>
> Well, I am of the personal opinion,
> that in this post,
> Dan's "sarcasm" switch was "ON",
> (and the rheostat control was set at "HIGHLY enabled") !
>
> > Just because the man is responsible for the theft of over 65 BILLION
> > dollars?. is that reason to deny him bail, allowing him to jump it and
> > flee
>
> YES. IMHO it is very good reason to decide
> "GO TO JAIL, DO NOT PASS GO!"
>
> But, will admit, I kind of thought that point was
> reached when he was caught trying to mail/hide
> assets a couple of weeks ago.

yeah he is so ashamed of being a deceitful bastard but he cant help
himself he has to keep doing it !