Activism Discussion: Angel Falls Bedevils Chavez, Who Wants Name Changed

Angel Falls Bedevils Chavez, Who Wants Name Changed

NewsToBeRead
2009-12-21 03:03:51 EST
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091221/sc_afp/environmentvenezuelapoliticsnative_20091221035737

Angel Falls bedevils Chavez, who wants name changed

Sun Dec 20, 10:57 pm ET
CARACAS (AFP) - The world's tallest waterfall -- Angel Falls in southern
Venezuela -- should be stripped of the name by which it is widely known in
favor of its indigenous one, President Hugo Chavez said.

The falls, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, were spotted by US pilot Jimmy
Angel in 1937, bringing international attention to what has become one of
Venezuela's top tourist attractions, though it is in remote Bolivar state.

"How could we accept this idea that the falls were discovered by a guy who
came from the United States in a plane. If we do that, that would be like
accepting that nobody was living here," Chavez mused on his weekly radio and
television show, "Hello Mr President."

"Nobody should speak of Angel Falls any more," Chavez said. "That is ours,
and was a long time before Angel ever got there."

In indigenous Pemon, the falls are called Kerepakupai meru, meaning
"waterfall of the deepest place."

Chavez is a fan of name changes.

After he came to power in 1999, the firebrand leftist leader changed his own
country's name, from just plain Venezuela to the Bolivarian Republic of
Venezuela. That move was to pay homage to independence fighter Simon
Bolivar.

He then renamed a mountain in Caracas -- previously known as Cerro Avila --
with its indigenous name, Guaraira Repano.

Escape_the_Cult_Now
2009-12-21 03:54:26 EST

"NewsToBeRead" <NewsToBeRead@USA.Com> wrote in message
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091221/sc_afp/environmentvenezuelapoliticsnative_20091221035737
>
> Angel Falls bedevils Chavez, who wants name changed
>
> Sun Dec 20, 10:57 pm ET
> CARACAS (AFP) - The world's tallest waterfall -- Angel Falls in southern
> Venezuela -- should be stripped of the name by which it is widely known in
> favor of its indigenous one, President Hugo Chavez said.
>
> The falls, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, were spotted by US pilot Jimmy
> Angel in 1937, bringing international attention to what has become one of
> Venezuela's top tourist attractions, though it is in remote Bolivar state.
>
> "How could we accept this idea that the falls were discovered by a guy who
> came from the United States in a plane. If we do that, that would be like
> accepting that nobody was living here," Chavez mused on his weekly radio
> and television show, "Hello Mr President."
>
> "Nobody should speak of Angel Falls any more," Chavez said. "That is ours,
> and was a long time before Angel ever got there."
>
> In indigenous Pemon, the falls are called Kerepakupai meru, meaning
> "waterfall of the deepest place."
>
> Chavez is a fan of name changes.
>
> After he came to power in 1999, the firebrand leftist leader changed his
> own country's name, from just plain Venezuela to the Bolivarian Republic
> of Venezuela. That move was to pay homage to independence fighter Simon
> Bolivar.
>
> He then renamed a mountain in Caracas -- previously known as Cerro
> Avila -- with its indigenous name, Guaraira Repano.

Chavez, and his ilk, are who the Lefty Wimpy Liars love.

StraightDrive
2009-12-21 06:46:33 EST

"Escape_the_Cult_Now" <killefilz@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "NewsToBeRead" <NewsToBeRead@USA.Com> wrote in message
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091221/sc_afp/environmentvenezuelapoliticsnative_20091221035737
>>
>> Angel Falls bedevils Chavez, who wants name changed
>>
>> Sun Dec 20, 10:57 pm ET
>> CARACAS (AFP) - The world's tallest waterfall -- Angel Falls in southern
>> Venezuela -- should be stripped of the name by which it is widely known
>> in favor of its indigenous one, President Hugo Chavez said.
>>
>> The falls, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, were spotted by US pilot Jimmy
>> Angel in 1937, bringing international attention to what has become one of
>> Venezuela's top tourist attractions, though it is in remote Bolivar
>> state.
>>
>> "How could we accept this idea that the falls were discovered by a guy
>> who came from the United States in a plane. If we do that, that would be
>> like accepting that nobody was living here," Chavez mused on his weekly
>> radio and television show, "Hello Mr President."
>>
>> "Nobody should speak of Angel Falls any more," Chavez said. "That is
>> ours, and was a long time before Angel ever got there."
>>
>> In indigenous Pemon, the falls are called Kerepakupai meru, meaning
>> "waterfall of the deepest place."
>>
>> Chavez is a fan of name changes.
>>
>> After he came to power in 1999, the firebrand leftist leader changed his
>> own country's name, from just plain Venezuela to the Bolivarian Republic
>> of Venezuela. That move was to pay homage to independence fighter Simon
>> Bolivar.
>>
>> He then renamed a mountain in Caracas -- previously known as Cerro
>> Avila -- with its indigenous name, Guaraira Repano.
>>

> Chavez, and his ilk, are who the Lefty Wimpy Liars love.

Any one who stands up to the EVIL American Government deserves to be loved
and respected......

Ljsprojects
2009-12-21 07:58:59 EST
On Dec 21, 1:03 am, "NewsToBeRead" <NewsToBeR...@USA.Com> wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091221/sc_afp/environmentvenezuelapolit...
>
> Angel Falls bedevils Chavez, who wants name changed
>
> Sun Dec 20, 10:57 pm ET
> CARACAS (AFP) - The world's tallest waterfall -- Angel Falls in southern
> Venezuela -- should be stripped of the name by which it is widely known in
> favor of its indigenous one, President Hugo Chavez said.
>
> The falls, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, were spotted by US pilot Jimmy
> Angel in 1937, bringing international attention to what has become one of
> Venezuela's top tourist attractions, though it is in remote Bolivar state.
>
> "How could we accept this idea that the falls were discovered by a guy who
> came from the United States in a plane. If we do that, that would be like
> accepting that nobody was living here," Chavez mused on his weekly radio and
> television show, "Hello Mr President."
>
> "Nobody should speak of Angel Falls any more," Chavez said. "That is ours,
> and was a long time before Angel ever got there."
>
> In indigenous Pemon, the falls are called Kerepakupai meru, meaning
> "waterfall of the deepest place."
>
> Chavez is a fan of name changes.
>
> After he came to power in 1999, the firebrand leftist leader changed his own
> country's name, from just plain Venezuela to the Bolivarian Republic of
> Venezuela. That move was to pay homage to independence fighter Simon
> Bolivar.
>
> He then renamed a mountain in Caracas -- previously known as Cerro Avila --
> with its indigenous name, Guaraira Repano.

Chávez is against unnecessary name changes. What he says is that the
name of the falls should be the original one, not the gringo's. Mr.
Angel did not "discover" anything.
You must be a school dropout or something close. I suppose Columbus
"discovered" America and America means the USA (not the continent).
You gringos need an education; and stop posting in foreign Newsgroups
about subjects you hardly know.

T.Schmidt

Ljsprojects
2009-12-21 08:00:27 EST
On Dec 21, 4:46 am, "StraightDrive" <StraightDr...@Tendulkar.com>
wrote:
> "Escape_the_Cult_Now" <killef...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> > "NewsToBeRead" <NewsToBeR...@USA.Com> wrote in message
> >>http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091221/sc_afp/environmentvenezuelapolit...
>
> >> Angel Falls bedevils Chavez, who wants name changed
>
> >> Sun Dec 20, 10:57 pm ET
> >> CARACAS (AFP) - The world's tallest waterfall -- Angel Falls in southern
> >> Venezuela -- should be stripped of the name by which it is widely known
> >> in favor of its indigenous one, President Hugo Chavez said.
>
> >> The falls, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, were spotted by US pilot Jimmy
> >> Angel in 1937, bringing international attention to what has become one of
> >> Venezuela's top tourist attractions, though it is in remote Bolivar
> >> state.
>
> >> "How could we accept this idea that the falls were discovered by a guy
> >> who came from the United States in a plane. If we do that, that would be
> >> like accepting that nobody was living here," Chavez mused on his weekly
> >> radio and television show, "Hello Mr President."
>
> >> "Nobody should speak of Angel Falls any more," Chavez said. "That is
> >> ours, and was a long time before Angel ever got there."
>
> >> In indigenous Pemon, the falls are called Kerepakupai meru, meaning
> >> "waterfall of the deepest place."
>
> >> Chavez is a fan of name changes.
>
> >> After he came to power in 1999, the firebrand leftist leader changed his
> >> own country's name, from just plain Venezuela to the Bolivarian Republic
> >> of Venezuela. That move was to pay homage to independence fighter Simon
> >> Bolivar.
>
> >> He then renamed a mountain in Caracas -- previously known as Cerro
> >> Avila --  with its indigenous name, Guaraira Repano.
>
> > Chavez, and his ilk, are who the Lefty Wimpy Liars love.
>
> Any one who stands up to the EVIL American Government deserves to be loved
> and respected......- Hide quoted text -

I agree, we are better.

T.Schmidt
P.S. Americans have gained technology and lost morality. Tsk, tk, tsk.

JAT
2009-12-21 10:47:28 EST
You may say "Chávez wants name changes". It could be true. But, you
gringos love to do that, too - Who changed the name of the waterfall
from its original name ?

You need to call the things by their real names and never change their
original name - The original name of the world's tallest waterfall is
Kerepakupai meru.

/jat

On Dec 21, 4:03 am, "NewsToBeRead" <NewsToBeR...@USA.Com> wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091221/sc_afp/environmentvenezuelapolit...
>
> Angel Falls bedevils Chavez, who wants name changed
>
> Sun Dec 20, 10:57 pm ET
> CARACAS (AFP) - The world's tallest waterfall -- Angel Falls in southern
> Venezuela -- should be stripped of the name by which it is widely known in
> favor of its indigenous one, President Hugo Chavez said.
>
> The falls, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, were spotted by US pilot Jimmy
> Angel in 1937, bringing international attention to what has become one of
> Venezuela's top tourist attractions, though it is in remote Bolivar state.
>
> "How could we accept this idea that the falls were discovered by a guy who
> came from the United States in a plane. If we do that, that would be like
> accepting that nobody was living here," Chavez mused on his weekly radio and
> television show, "Hello Mr President."
>
> "Nobody should speak of Angel Falls any more," Chavez said. "That is ours,
> and was a long time before Angel ever got there."
>
> In indigenous Pemon, the falls are called Kerepakupai meru, meaning
> "waterfall of the deepest place."
>
> Chavez is a fan of name changes.
>
> After he came to power in 1999, the firebrand leftist leader changed his own
> country's name, from just plain Venezuela to the Bolivarian Republic of
> Venezuela. That move was to pay homage to independence fighter Simon
> Bolivar.
>
> He then renamed a mountain in Caracas -- previously known as Cerro Avila --
> with its indigenous name, Guaraira Repano.

TORREBLANCA®?=
2009-12-21 11:47:14 EST
On 21 dic, 08:58, ljsprojects <t.schmidt.te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 1:03 am, "NewsToBeRead" <NewsToBeR...@USA.Com> wrote:
>

> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091221/sc_afp/environmentvenezuelapolit...
>
> > Angel Falls bedevils Chavez, who wants name changed
>
> > Sun Dec 20, 10:57 pm ET
> > CARACAS (AFP) - The world's tallest waterfall -- Angel Falls in southern
> > Venezuela -- should be stripped of the name by which it is widely known in
> > favor of its indigenous one, President Hugo Chavez said.
>
> > The falls, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, were spotted by US pilot Jimmy
> > Angel in 1937, bringing international attention to what has become one of
> > Venezuela's top tourist attractions, though it is in remote Bolivar state.
>
> > "How could we accept this idea that the falls were discovered by a guy who
> > came from the United States in a plane. If we do that, that would be like
> > accepting that nobody was living here," Chavez mused on his weekly radio and
> > television show, "Hello Mr President."
>
> > "Nobody should speak of Angel Falls any more," Chavez said. "That is ours,
> > and was a long time before Angel ever got there."
>
> > In indigenous Pemon, the falls are called Kerepakupai meru, meaning
> > "waterfall of the deepest place."
>
> > Chavez is a fan of name changes.
>
> > After he came to power in 1999, the firebrand leftist leader changed his own
> > country's name, from just plain Venezuela to the Bolivarian Republic of
> > Venezuela. That move was to pay homage to independence fighter Simon
> > Bolivar.
>
> > He then renamed a mountain in Caracas -- previously known as Cerro Avila --
> > with its indigenous name, Guaraira Repano.
>
> Chávez is against unnecessary name changes. What he says is that the
> name of the falls should be the original one, not the gringo's. Mr.
> Angel did not "discover" anything.
> You must be a school dropout or something close.  I suppose Columbus
> "discovered" America and America means the USA (not the continent).
> You gringos need an education; and stop posting in foreign Newsgroups
> about subjects you hardly know.

chavez is a sucker, so are you and everyone here has the right to post
in any open free newsgroup whatever they like. this is not venezuela
or cuba where the freedom of speech in not allowed by the tyrans who
owns the country and or the citizens. chavez may name the falls
whatever his unlimited powers as a tyran may allow him, but for
history purposes, the angel falls in venezuela will remain beign
called the angels falls .

JAT
2009-12-21 12:25:48 EST
On Dec 21, 12:47 pm, TORREBLANCA® <donquicove...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 dic, 08:58, ljsprojects <t.schmidt.te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 21, 1:03 am, "NewsToBeRead" <NewsToBeR...@USA.Com> wrote:
>
> > >http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091221/sc_afp/environmentvenezuelapolit...
>
> > > Angel Falls bedevils Chavez, who wants name changed
>
> > > Sun Dec 20, 10:57 pm ET
> > > CARACAS (AFP) - The world's tallest waterfall -- Angel Falls in southern
> > > Venezuela -- should be stripped of the name by which it is widely known in
> > > favor of its indigenous one, President Hugo Chavez said.
>
> > > The falls, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, were spotted by US pilot Jimmy
> > > Angel in 1937, bringing international attention to what has become one of
> > > Venezuela's top tourist attractions, though it is in remote Bolivar state.
>
> > > "How could we accept this idea that the falls were discovered by a guy who
> > > came from the United States in a plane. If we do that, that would be like
> > > accepting that nobody was living here," Chavez mused on his weekly radio and
> > > television show, "Hello Mr President."
>
> > > "Nobody should speak of Angel Falls any more," Chavez said. "That is ours,
> > > and was a long time before Angel ever got there."
>
> > > In indigenous Pemon, the falls are called Kerepakupai meru, meaning
> > > "waterfall of the deepest place."
>
> > > Chavez is a fan of name changes.
>
> > > After he came to power in 1999, the firebrand leftist leader changed his own
> > > country's name, from just plain Venezuela to the Bolivarian Republic of
> > > Venezuela. That move was to pay homage to independence fighter Simon
> > > Bolivar.
>
> > > He then renamed a mountain in Caracas -- previously known as Cerro Avila --
> > > with its indigenous name, Guaraira Repano.
>
> > Chávez is against unnecessary name changes. What he says is that the
> > name of the falls should be the original one, not the gringo's. Mr.
> > Angel did not "discover" anything.
> > You must be a school dropout or something close.  I suppose Columbus
> > "discovered" America and America means the USA (not the continent).
> > You gringos need an education; and stop posting in foreign Newsgroups
> > about subjects you hardly know.
>
> chavez is a sucker, so are you and everyone here has the right to post
> in any open free newsgroup whatever they like.  this is not venezuela
> or cuba where the freedom of speech in not allowed by the tyrans who
> owns the country and or the citizens. chavez may name the falls
> whatever his unlimited powers as a tyran may allow him, but for
> history purposes, the angel falls in venezuela will remain beign
> called the angels falls .

Hey, Kerepakupai-Meru (Pemon language) is the original name of the
waterfall, retaking its original name is historical - "Angel Falls"
will be history and forgotten along the years.
/jat

TORREBLANCA®?=
2009-12-21 12:38:54 EST
On 21 dic, 13:25, JAT <jesus.a.tor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 12:47 pm, TORREBLANCA® <donquicove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Chávez is against unnecessary name changes. What he says is that the
> > > name of the falls should be the original one, not the gringo's. Mr.
> > > Angel did not "discover" anything.
> > > You must be a school dropout or something close.  I suppose Columbus
> > > "discovered" America and America means the USA (not the continent).
> > > You gringos need an education; and stop posting in foreign Newsgroups
> > > about subjects you hardly know.
>
> > chavez is a sucker, so are you and everyone here has the right to post
> > in any open free newsgroup whatever they like.  this is not venezuela
> > or cuba where the freedom of speech in not allowed by the tyrans who
> > owns the country and or the citizens. chavez may name the falls
> > whatever his unlimited powers as a tyran may allow him, but for
> > history purposes, the angel falls in venezuela will remain beign
> > called the angels falls .
>
> Hey, Kerepakupai-Meru (Pemon language) is the original name of the
> waterfall, retaking its original name is historical - "Angel Falls"
> will be history and forgotten along the years.
> /jat

hey, el salto angel is the known name for the waterfalls. if the
emperor hugo wants to name it after his mother's name or his favorite
pet, is up to him. As soon as the chavez kingdom falls within a few
years, things will go back to normal again. Curious thing that this
sort of important name changes has to go through the chambers, the
people's representatives, but not in the chavez kingdom where his holy
word is final.

El Rodillo
2009-12-21 19:05:59 EST
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 07:47:28 -0800 (PST), JAT
<*s@gmail.com> wrote:

>You may say "Chávez wants name changes". It could be true. But, you
>gringos love to do that, too - Who changed the name of the waterfall
>from its original name ?
>
>You need to call the things by their real names and never change their
>original name - The original name of the world's tallest waterfall is
>Kerepakupai meru.
>
>/jat

You know, I hate to say that I must go with the facts and agree with
Hugo Chavez even thought I don't like his views in other matters.
Sooo, that being said, Kerepakupai meru is the correct name for the
waterfall. I has been its name since the beggining of time.

The waterfall was spotted by US pilot Jimmy Angel in 1937, bringing
international attention to what has become one of Venezuela's top
tourist attractions, though it is in remote Bolivar state. But its
name was Kerepakupai meru before that event.

I am sorry but there is nothing to argue about it althought we all
have our rights to our opinion.

Por cierto JAT, no vayas a pensar que estoy de chupamedia de nadie,
acepto las cosas como son y como debe de ser sin atar mis sentimientos
politicos con la realidad.

Asi es que no jodan mas: Kerepakupai meru es y sera para siempre.
Cuentale a tu comandante que estoy de acuerdo con el solo en este
punto. Jejejeje.