http://news.antiwar.com/2010/05/31/israel-attacks-gaza-aid-ships-killing-at-least-19/
Israel Attacks Gaza Aid Ships, Killing At Least 19
Ships Were Towed to Haifa to Avoid Media Coverage
by Jason Ditz, May 31, 2010

Israel had telegraphed its move for weeks. They had promised to stop the
aid ships at all cost, they had promised to use force against the aid
workers. Somehow, no amount of official bellicosity could prepare anyone
for the carnage that unfolded.

At least 19 aid workers were killed and dozens of others wounded when
Israeli commandos, backed up with helicopters, boarded the Mavi Marmara,
one of the six aid ships, and opened fire on the passengers.

It was by no means the largest massacre of civilians in Israeli history,
or even recent Israeli history, but unlike the others there was no way
to couch the deliberate attack on a civilian aid vessel in international
waters as Hamas’ fault, or an example of human shields, or even a narrow
miss of the real target.

Indeed it has spawned what must be among the lamest attempts at hasbara
(public explanation) in Israel’s sordid history, as one of the commandos
in the region’s most heavily armed military explained opening fire on
civilians by saying “they beat us up with metal sticks.”

Metal sticks notwithstanding, the aid flotilla was violating no
international laws in trying to deliver medicine and food to civilian
victims of an Israeli blockade. Israel on the other hand was most
assuredly violating international law in attacking an unarmed aid ship
on the open sea.

There has been talk in the past of Israel running afoul of international
piracy laws for capturing previous aid ships. Say what you will of that,
but in the previous engagements Israel didn’t massacre the crew, they
just took them captive and held them on dubious charges.

Even Israel’s right-far-right coalition seems to have some sense of
wrongdoing here, even if they would never admit so publicly. After
making a big deal of setting up Ashdod as a “welcoming” facility to
process the 700 soon-to-be-captives and loading it up with favorable
media, Israel re-routed the ships to Haifa, to escape scrutiny of their
handiwork.

The reaction to the massacre has already been enormous. At least five
countries have already summoned Israeli ambassadors to demand
explanations for the massacre, while thousands of protesters in Istanbul
stormed into the Israeli consulate just after the story broke.

A top Fatah official predicted the massacre would enhance the ongoing
boycott against Israel and would cause an increasing number of European
states, many of whom had MPs on the aid ships, to turn against them.
While it is too soon to gauge the level of international outrage it
cannot but be noted that people have said the same thing about previous
Israeli atrocities, only to find that international support runs far
deeper than anyone had imagined.

--
Dan Clore

http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTS0O
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://tinyurl.com/292yz9

in charge on this island?
Professor: Why, no one.
Skipper: No one?

Steve Hayes
2010-06-01 13:22:05 EST
On Mon, 31 May 2010 18:50:42 -0700, Dan Clore <clore@columbia-center.org>
wrote:

>Even Israel’s right-far-right coalition seems to have some sense of
>wrongdoing here, even if they would never admit so publicly. After
>making a big deal of setting up Ashdod as a “welcoming” facility to
>process the 700 soon-to-be-captives and loading it up with favorable
>media, Israel re-routed the ships to Haifa, to escape scrutiny of their
>handiwork.

They'll open them up to scrutiny once they've had time to plant weapons of
mass destruction aboard.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

James A. Donald
2010-06-01 16:42:25 EST
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 19:22:05 +0200, Steve Hayes
<*w@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2010 18:50:42 -0700, Dan Clore <clore@columbia-center.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Even Israel’s right-far-right coalition seems to have some sense of
> >wrongdoing here, even if they would never admit so publicly. After
> >making a big deal of setting up Ashdod as a “welcoming” facility to
> >process the 700 soon-to-be-captives and loading it up with favorable
> >media, Israel re-routed the ships to Haifa, to escape scrutiny of their
> >handiwork.
>
> They'll open them up to scrutiny once they've had time to plant weapons of
> mass destruction aboard.

They have a videotape of the "peace activists" attacking soldiers with
knives and steel bars, and have collected a mighty big pile of knives
and steel bars.

2010-06-01 18:58:59 EST
On May 31, 9:50 pm, Dan Clore <cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:

> [...]
> While it is too soon to gauge the level of international outrage it
> cannot but be noted that people have said the same thing about previous
> Israeli atrocities, only to find that international support runs far
> deeper than anyone had imagined.
>
> --
> Dan Clore
>
> New book: _Weird Words: A Lovecraftian Lexicon_:http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
> My collected fiction: _The Unspeakable and Others_http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTS0O
> Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:http://tinyurl.com/292yz9
>
> Skipper: Professor, will you tell these people who is
> in charge on this island?
> Professor: Why, no one.
> Skipper: No one?
> Thurston Howell III: No one? Good heavens, this is anarchy!
> -- _Gilligan's Island_, episode #6, "President Gilligan"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaiMjAULWn0&feature=player_embedded#!

2010-06-01 19:00:47 EST
On Jun 1, 6:58 pm, "cybri...@gmail.com" <cybri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > While it is too soon to gauge the level of international outrage it
> > cannot but be noted that people have said the same thing about previous
> > Israeli atrocities, only to find that international support runs far
> > deeper than anyone had imagined.
>
> > --
> > Dan Clore
>
> > New book: _Weird Words: A Lovecraftian Lexicon_:http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
> > My collected fiction: _The Unspeakable and Others_http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTS0O
> > Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:http://tinyurl.com/292yz9
>
> > Skipper: Professor, will you tell these people who is
> > in charge on this island?
> > Professor: Why, no one.
> > Skipper: No one?
> > Thurston Howell III: No one? Good heavens, this is anarchy!
> > -- _Gilligan's Island_, episode #6, "President Gilligan"

2010-06-01 19:05:24 EST
On Jun 1, 7:00 pm, "cybri...@gmail.com" <cybri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > While it is too soon to gauge the level of international outrage it
> > > cannot but be noted that people have said the same thing about previous
> > > Israeli atrocities, only to find that international support runs far
> > > deeper than anyone had imagined.
>
> > > --
> > > Dan Clore
>
> > > New book: _Weird Words: A Lovecraftian Lexicon_:http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
> > > My collected fiction: _The Unspeakable and Others_http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LTS0O
> > > Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:http://tinyurl.com/292yz9
>
> > > Skipper: Professor, will you tell these people who is
> > > in charge on this island?
> > > Professor: Why, no one.
> > > Skipper: No one?
> > > Thurston Howell III: No one? Good heavens, this is anarchy!
> > > -- _Gilligan's Island_, episode #6, "President Gilligan"

It's just too bad that Jew-Hater Cynthia McKinney was not among the
dead.

M J Carley
2010-06-02 04:38:13 EST
In the referenced article, James A. Donald <jamesd@echeque.com> writes:
>On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 19:22:05 +0200, Steve Hayes

>They have a videotape of the "peace activists" attacking soldiers
>with knives and steel bars, and have collected a mighty big pile of
>knives and steel bars.

So a flotilla of terrorists went to take on the Israeli Defence Forces
armed with knives and steel bars? Do you not think that knives and
steel bars are the kind of thing you often find on a ship?
--
Si deve tornare alle basi: Marx ed i Clash.

Michael Carley: http://people.bath.ac.uk/ensmjc/

2010-06-02 21:20:27 EST
On Jun 2, 4:38 am, ens...@bath.ac.uk (M J Carley) wrote:
> In the referenced article, James A. Donald <jam...@echeque.com> writes:
>
> >On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 19:22:05 +0200, Steve Hayes
> >They have a videotape of the "peace activists" attacking soldiers
> >with knives and steel bars, and have collected a mighty big pile of
> >knives and steel bars.
>
> So a flotilla of terrorists went to take on the Israeli Defence Forces
> armed with knives and steel bars? Do you not think that knives and
> steel bars are the kind of thing you often find on a ship?
> --
> Si deve tornare alle basi: Marx ed i Clash.
>
> Michael Carley:http://people.bath.ac.uk/ensmjc/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100602/ap_on_re_eu/eu_gaza_ships_terror_ties

Steve Hayes
2010-06-03 01:00:11 EST
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 06:42:25 +1000, James A. Donald <jamesd@echeque.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 19:22:05 +0200, Steve Hayes
><hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 May 2010 18:50:42 -0700, Dan Clore <clore@columbia-center.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Even Israel’s right-far-right coalition seems to have some sense of
>> >wrongdoing here, even if they would never admit so publicly. After
>> >making a big deal of setting up Ashdod as a “welcoming” facility to
>> >process the 700 soon-to-be-captives and loading it up with favorable
>> >media, Israel re-routed the ships to Haifa, to escape scrutiny of their
>> >handiwork.
>>
>> They'll open them up to scrutiny once they've had time to plant weapons of
>> mass destruction aboard.
>
>They have a videotape of the "peace activists" attacking soldiers with
>knives and steel bars, and have collected a mighty big pile of knives
>and steel bars.

So THAT'S what they were taking to Gaza. Presumably to launch at Israeli
civilians.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

Dan Clore
2010-06-03 14:02:15 EST
Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 06:42:25 +1000, James A. Donald
> <jamesd@echeque.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 19:22:05 +0200, Steve Hayes
>> <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>>> They'll open them up to scrutiny once they've had time to plant
>>> weapons of mass destruction aboard.
>> They have a videotape of the "peace activists" attacking soldiers
>> with knives and steel bars, and have collected a mighty big pile of
>> knives and steel bars.
>
> So THAT'S what they were taking to Gaza. Presumably to launch at
> Israeli civilians.

It's incredible the way that the Israeli gov (and it's NeoCon fans, as
the previous poster here) has attempted to portrary the victims as
aggressors, for the crime of trying (vainly) to defend themselves
against attackers who, with no more legal standing to do so than plain
pirates, assaulted them with tear gas, stun grenades, rubber-coated
bullets, and (reportedly) live ammunition, before any of the victims
tried to fight back with whatever objects they happened to have at hand.