Activism Discussion: #Voter Intimidation Story Reported By AP

#Voter Intimidation Story Reported By AP

Sir Loin
2010-07-02 15:04:06 EST
Previously, none of the cable networks other than Fox reported this
story, casting doubt on its accuracy. However, the Associated Press has
since investigated and just published the following story on the Justice
Department's refusal to charge the New Black Panther Party with voter
intimidation and civil rights violations:

--------------------------------------

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_VOTING_INVESTIGATION_BLACK_PANTHERS?SITE=KOPB&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Associated Press
July 1, 6:23PM EDT

Ex-Justice Dept lawyer says whites' rights ignored
By Jesse Washington
AP National Writer

[Excerpts]

"PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Witnesses described an ugly scene: Two members of
the New Black Panther Party threatening white voters the day Barack
Obama was elected president, flinging insults like 'white devil' and
'you're about to be ruled by the black man, cracker.'"

"The fallout from the case has become even uglier. Most charges against
the men were dropped for lack of evidence, the U.S. Justice Department
says. Now a former Justice Department lawyer is accusing his
ex-superiors of ignoring white voters' rights and creating a systematic
'one-way' approach in which only minorities are protected."

"The claims by J. Christian Adams are the latest installment of a
long-running dispute over Justice Department enforcement of the nation's
civil rights laws. It's a political fight over such volatile accusations
as black-on-white racism, double standards and payback - issues that are
magnified with black men serving as president and attorney general."

"'To some, the civil rights laws are not meant to protect all Americans,
they are meant to protect certain Americans,' Adams, a conservative who
helped prosecute the case against the New Black Panthers, wrote in a
June 28 essay on pajamasmedia.com. He quit the Justice Department on May
14."

"On Election Day 2008, King Samir Shabazz and Jerry Jackson dressed in
black uniforms of the New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense, whose
website recently made such statements as, 'the white man has kept us
deaf, dumb and blind, and used every "dirty trick" in the book to stand
in the way of our freedom and independence.'"

"The men stationed themselves near the entrance to a polling place in a
largely black neighborhood. Shabazz carried a nightstick. Their actions
quickly came to the attention of police, who told Shabazz to leave but
allowed Jackson, a certified poll watcher, to remain."

"Shortly before President George W. Bush left office, the Justice
Department filed a civil lawsuit against the two men, the New Black
Panther Party and its leader, Malik Zulu Shabazz. The defendants never
responded to the government's lawsuit, which had the same effect as a
guilty plea."

"Before any penalties could be handed down - and after Obama appointed
Eric Holder to run the Justice Department - charges were dropped against
everyone but Samir Shabazz."

"[Adams] wrote that some people see selective enforcement of civil
rights laws 'as a backdoor way to achieve reparations for slavery and
discrimination. If the American public won't tolerate monetary
reparations, which they won't, then a one-way approach to civil rights
laws is seen as the next best alternative.'"

"Jesse Washington covers race and ethnicity for The Associated Press."

[Note: Jesse Washington is an African-American who writes on race and
ethnic issues for the Associated Press.]

--------------------------------------

Ray Fischer
2010-07-03 03:59:00 EST
Sir Loin <sirloin@4dashorties.org> wrote:
>Previously, none of the cable networks other than Fox reported this
>story, casting doubt on its accuracy. However, the Associated Press has
>since investigated and just published the following story on the Justice
>Department's refusal to charge the New Black Panther Party with voter
>intimidation and civil rights violations:

"We don't need no trial! Lynch them!"

--
Ray Fischer
r*r@sonic.net

* US *
2010-07-03 07:45:46 EST
On 03 Jul 2010 07:59:00 GMT, rfischer@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>Sir Loin <sirloin@4dashorties.org> wrote:
>>Previously, none of the cable networks other than Fox reported this
>>story, casting doubt on its accuracy. However, the Associated Press has
>>since investigated and just published the following story on the Justice
>>Department's refusal to charge the New Black Panther Party with voter
>>intimidation and civil rights violations:
>
>"We don't need no trial! Lynch them!"

"We don't need atrial, let 'em go, they're black." -- Obama

> [...]
>>Panther Party and its leader, Malik Zulu Shabazz. The defendants never
>>responded to the government's lawsuit, which had the same effect as a
>>guilty plea."
>>
>>"Before any penalties could be handed down - and after Obama appointed
>>Eric Holder to run the Justice Department - charges were dropped against
>>everyone but Samir Shabazz."
>>
>>"[Adams] wrote that some people see selective enforcement of civil
>>rights laws 'as a backdoor way to achieve reparations for slavery and
>>discrimination. If the American public won't tolerate monetary
>>reparations, which they won't, then a one-way approach to civil rights
>>laws is seen as the next best alternative.'"
>>
>>"Jesse Washington covers race and ethnicity for The Associated Press."
>>
>>[Note: Jesse Washington is an African-American who writes on race and
>>ethnic issues for the Associated Press.]

* US *
2010-07-03 08:38:38 EST
If it's electronic, it's not voting.

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:45:46 GMT, DumpOnKeyboard@HateAmerica. (* fake *) failed:

>...We don't need atrial, [sic] ...

Neocons prefer assassinations of scapegoats
and mass murders of innocent people.

Phlip
2010-07-03 09:18:45 EST
> "We don't need  atrial, let 'em go, they're black."  -- Obama

And Mumia Abu Jimal is still in jail because..?

Steve
2010-07-03 10:13:38 EST
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 06:18:45 -0700 (PDT), Phlip <phlip2005@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> "We don't need  atrial, let 'em go, they're black."  -- Obama
>
>And Mumia Abu Jimal is still in jail because..?

..because he murdered a cop.

5548 Dead, 681 Since 1/20/09
2010-07-03 12:41:51 EST
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:45:46 +0000, * US * wrote:

> On 03 Jul 2010 07:59:00 GMT, rfischer@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>>Sir Loin <sirloin@4dashorties.org> wrote:
>>>Previously, none of the cable networks other than Fox reported this
>>>story, casting doubt on its accuracy. However, the Associated Press
>>>has since investigated and just published the following story on the
>>>Justice Department's refusal to charge the New Black Panther Party with
>>>voter intimidation and civil rights violations:
>>
>>"We don't need no trial! Lynch them!"
>
> "We don't need atrial, let 'em go, they're black." -- Obama

Oh, look, it's another really stupid lie from the really stupid right
winger...

* US *
2010-07-03 12:57:53 EST
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:41:51 -0500, "5548 Dead, 681 since 1/20/09"
<*s@deadduz.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:45:46 +0000, * US * wrote:

>>>"We don't need no trial! Lynch them!"
>>
>> "We don't need atrial, let 'em go, they're black." -- Obama
>
>Oh, look, it's another really stupid lie from the really stupid right
>winger...

Haven't you been paying attention?

DOJ had a solid case for five months. Holder takes over, drops it,
and has refused to cooperate with both Congress amd EEOC.

This is the same Holder who declared that whites are not protected
under the new Hate Crime Law because they have not been "historically"
targetted because of race. Where has he been the past 50 yrs.?

Jack From Waaayyy Back
2010-07-03 13:02:19 EST
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 16:57:53 GMT, DumpObama@America. (* US *) wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:41:51 -0500, "5548 Dead, 681 since 1/20/09"
><deadis@deadduz.com> wrote:

>>> "We don't need atrial, let 'em go, they're black." -- Obama
>>
>>Oh, look, it's another really stupid lie from the really stupid right
>>winger...
>
>Haven't you been paying attention?
>
>DOJ had a solid case for five months. Holder takes over, drops it,
>and has refused to cooperate with both Congress amd EEOC.
>
>This is the same Holder who declared that whites are not protected
>under the new Hate Crime Law because they have not been "historically"
>targetted because of race. Where has he been the past 50 yrs.?

Ask Zepp how he'd feel if Paris had been one of the white voters who
was assaulted. The video shows them focusing on females.

Salad
2010-07-03 13:10:39 EST
* US * wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 11:41:51 -0500, "5548 Dead, 681 since 1/20/09"
> <deadis@deadduz.com> wrote:

>>>"We don't need atrial, let 'em go, they're black." -- Obama
>>
>>Oh, look, it's another really stupid lie from the really stupid right
>>winger...
>

> Haven't you been paying attention?
>
> DOJ had a solid case for five months. Holder takes over, drops it,
> and has refused to cooperate with both Congress amd EEOC.
>
> This is the same Holder who declared that whites are not protected
> under the new Hate Crime Law because they have not been "historically"
> targetted because of race. Where has he been the past 50 yrs.?

Oh poor little you. Your equalizing of white suffering with black
suffering is a bit ridiculous. But since I have not followed this case
you are discussing, I'll agree that laws should be administered equally
regardless of race.