Activism Discussion: People Protest Removal Of Community Meal From City Hall

People Protest Removal Of Community Meal From City Hall

Dan Clore

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3080367
People protest removal of community meal from City Hall
By BRENDAN WEDLEY, Examiner Staff Writer

Mayor Daryl Bennett has taken a community meal off the table, forcing
low-income residents who have come to rely on the Monday meal to look
elsewhere, by requiring organizers to sign a contract with the city for
use of the public space in front of City Hall, an organizer with Food
Not Bombs says.

About 50 people gathered in front of City Hall on Monday to protest the
city's new requirement for a signed contract to hold the meal outside of
the municipal building. Several of the signs emphasized public use of
public space.

Food Not Bombs has put on the weekly community meal at City Hall to
provide food as well as protest war and poverty for the past six years.
“There has never been a single problem with the way that we use the space.”

Myles Conner

The meal was forced out of the lobby to the area in front of City Hall
and now the mayor wants organizers to sign a contract, said Myles
Conner, with Food Not Bombs, who has been taking part in the weekly meal
since it started six years ago.

"The Charter (of Rights and Freedoms) is our permit. The Charter is our
permission," he said.

The city wants to treat all individuals and groups on a level plain, the
mayor said.

"In order to continue using city facilities it would be necessary to
take out a city permit of some description, which means somebody has to
sign," he said. "The problem is, this is a movement, not a group or an
organization, and they are reluctant to engage on that basis. That's
their problem. Our problem as a city is we need to have some sort of a
regulatory process."

Conner said the city isn't asking for a fee to use space in
Confederation Square, but it wants organizers to sign a contract to take
responsibility for the weekly meal.

"They're trying to pull some litigious moves," he said. "I fear if I put
my name on it, I fear they'd make something happen … to the signatories."

David Goyette, the mayor's executive assistant, came out with a permit
to allow the meal, Conner said, adding Goyette was nice.

"The mayor does not want us here," Conner said.

Goyette provided an email to The Examiner that he had sent to Food Not
Bombs on Sunday.

In the email, Goyette states the city would create a temporary permit to
allow Food Not Bombs to use a section of Confederation Square for the
meal, at no charge, from April 18 to Oct. 31.

Conner said the contract the city wanted the organizers of the meal to
sign included stipulations such as that the group would clean up the
space after use, would share the space and would be respectful.

The people who organize and attend the community meal have always
cleaned up the space that they use and they've been respectful of
others, Conner said.

"There has never been a single problem with the way that we use the
space," he said.

When the mayor was asked why the group was required to get a permit
after it has been operating for six years without a contract of some
sort with the city, the mayor responded: "Why not now?"

Kenny Hone has been going to the weekly meal since it started.

There weren't any problems with using the space until council changed
after the last municipal election, Hone said, holding one side of a
large sign during the protest.

"In this time when people are hungry and people are homeless we're being
squeezed off of a public space…. As I see it, it's heartless," he said.

b*y@peterboroughexaminer.com

--
Dan Clore

http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-unspeakable-and-others/6124911
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://tinyurl.com/292yz9

in charge on this island?
Professor: Why, no one.
Skipper: No one?

Stan De SD
2011-04-20 12:19:35 EST
On Apr 20, 4:23 am, Dan Clore <cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:

> http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3080367
> People protest removal of community meal from City Hall
> By BRENDAN WEDLEY, Examiner Staff Writer
>
> Mayor Daryl Bennett has taken a community meal off the table, forcing
> low-income residents who have come to rely on the Monday meal to look
> elsewhere, by requiring organizers to sign a contract with the city for
> use of the public space in front of City Hall, an organizer with Food
> Not Bombs says.

Food Not Bombs = group of Marxist street thugs masquerading as a
charity. Smart move by the mayor of wherever this place might be...

Dan Clore
2011-04-20 17:50:20 EST
On 4/20/2011 9:19 AM, Stan de SD wrote:
> On Apr 20, 4:23 am, Dan Clore<cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:
>> News& Views for Anarchists&
>> Activists:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>>
>> http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3080367

People protest removal of community meal from City Hall
>> By BRENDAN WEDLEY, Examiner Staff Writer
>>
>> Mayor Daryl Bennett has taken a community meal off the table,
>> forcing low-income residents who have come to rely on the Monday
>> meal to look elsewhere, by requiring organizers to sign a contract
>> with the city for use of the public space in front of City Hall, an
>> organizer with Food Not Bombs says.
>
> Food Not Bombs = group of Marxist

Anarchist.

> street thugs

Never heard of an act of violence committed by Food Not Bombs, just
feeding people.

> masquerading as a charity.

Food Not Bombs disdains being seen as a charity -- they see themselves
as a mutual aid group.

Three strikes for Statist Stain.

--
Dan Clore

http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-unspeakable-and-others/6124911
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://tinyurl.com/292yz9

Stan De SD
2011-04-20 18:01:19 EST
On Apr 20, 2:50 pm, Dan Clore <cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:
> On 4/20/2011 9:19 AM, Stan de SD wrote:> On Apr 20, 4:23 am, Dan Clore<cl...@columbia-center.org>  wrote:
> >> News&  Views for Anarchists&
> >> Activists:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>
> >>http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3080367
>
> People protest removal of community meal from City Hall
>
> >> By BRENDAN WEDLEY, Examiner Staff Writer
>
> >> Mayor Daryl Bennett has taken a community meal off the table,
> >> forcing low-income residents who have come to rely on the Monday
> >> meal to look elsewhere, by requiring organizers to sign a contract
> >> with the city for use of the public space in front of City Hall, an
> >> organizer with Food Not Bombs says.
>
> > Food Not Bombs = group of Marxist
>
> Anarchist.

Marxists in black masks...

Dan Clore
2011-04-20 20:21:49 EST
On 4/20/2011 3:01 PM, Stan de SD wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2:50 pm, Dan Clore<cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:

People protest removal of community meal from City Hall

>>> Food Not Bombs = group of Marxist
>>
>> Anarchist.
>
> Marxists in black masks...

I cannot recall ever hearing of Food Not Bombs wearing masks, but in any
case, singling out a group that feeds the homeless for demonization
seems pretty low, even for Stan Rothwell.

--
Dan Clore

http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-unspeakable-and-others/6124911
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://tinyurl.com/292yz9

Stan De SD
2011-04-20 23:49:06 EST
On Apr 20, 5:21 pm, Dan Clore <cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:
> On 4/20/2011 3:01 PM, Stan de SD wrote:
>
> > On Apr 20, 2:50 pm, Dan Clore<cl...@columbia-center.org>  wrote:

> People protest removal of community meal from City Hall

> >> Anarchist.
>
> > Marxists in black masks...
>
> I cannot recall ever hearing of Food Not Bombs wearing masks, but in any
> case, singling out a group that feeds the homeless for demonization
> seems pretty low, even for Stan Rothwell.

Go change your diaper, Danny, maybe it will make you feel better.
Really now, your little anarcho-whatever group doesn't want to assume
responsibility for anything, so they are miffed that some town kicked
their clueless asses out. Someday you got to get your head out of your
silly little utopian la-la land if you ever wish to be taken seriously
by the rest of the planet... :O|

Dan Clore
2011-04-22 07:23:35 EST
On 4/20/2011 8:49 PM, Stan de SD wrote:
> On Apr 20, 5:21 pm, Dan Clore<cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:
>> On 4/20/2011 3:01 PM, Stan de SD wrote:

People protest removal of community meal from City Hall

>>> Marxists in black masks...
>>
>> I cannot recall ever hearing of Food Not Bombs wearing masks, but
>> in any case, singling out a group that feeds the homeless for
>> demonization seems pretty low, even for Stan Rothwell.
>
> Go change your diaper, Danny, maybe it will make you feel better.
> Really now, your little anarcho-whatever group doesn't want to
> assume responsibility for anything, so they are miffed that some town
> kicked their clueless asses out. Someday you got to get your head out
> of your silly little utopian la-la land if you ever wish to be taken
> seriously by the rest of the planet... :O|

I love you too, Stan.