Activism Discussion: CBS/Bush National Guard: Bush _was_ Guilty, Secretary Confirms

CBS/Bush National Guard: Bush _was_ Guilty, Secretary Confirms

I*@economicdemocracy.org
2005-01-11 15:51:08 EST
"..At the same time, CBS had an important story here. They way oversold
it. If they had gone to Lieutenant Colonel Jerry Killian's secretary to
begin with, remember, she came forth and said, these documents didn't
look like document she had typed, but they had the exact same content
as she recalled things happening in real time back in the early 1970's.

AMY GOODMAN: Talk about the significance of that. Saying that she --
while she didn't think she had typed these they were what Killian
believed, and what was that?

STEVE RENDALL: Well, that he was pressured to sugar coat -- that was
his term, sugar coat George Bush's record in the Air National Guard.
They had several other -- they did have other sources, to be fair to
the CBS story, they had other sources quoted in the story, that did not
reflect well on George Bush's National Guard record. But I think that
the most important thing here is to look at the big media picture and
see how the relatively -- I think -- let me go back to one point, and
that is whether or not Andrew Heyward and Dan Rather should have been
disciplined further. I think that that's -- that's a question that's
worth asking. And is there some scapegoating here of the relatively
lower level employees? One of the employees that lost their job was a
vice president of CBS news, Betsy West, and another was the executive
producer of "60 Minutes Wednesday." So, these were not low-level
employees.

But I think the important thing here to do is to step back and look at
the discipline that was administered here at CBS, compared to some
other comparable stories. I mean, certainly a much more important story
was the way that the U.S. media sold the weapons of mass destruction
story, particularly the New York Times and particularly at the New York
Times' Judith Miller. The Times came forth, ran an editor's note that
said that they had been insufficiently skeptical, they hadn't
sufficiently scrutinized the claims made by the administration about
weapons of mass destruction. However, in that editor's note, nobody was
named, nobody was disciplined. This was a much more important story.
Now, what's the difference between these two stories? Well, the CBS
story was critical of the government. For one, Judith Miller's
journalistic transgressions favored the government's story.

Also another point here to bear in mind, is that the CBS story fits the
media script. We hear over and over again in the media echo chamber
that our media is liberal. Therefore, even though this commission found
that there was no evidence of liberal bias, it fit the perception that
the media's constantly haranguing us with that the media's liberal, so
this fit that script [while
the massively more life-costly lies and lapdog 'trust Bush'
journalism over the WMD scandal, does not]

Theodore Herzl
2005-01-11 20:04:43 EST

i*o@economicdemocracy.org wrote:
> "..At the same time, CBS had an important story here. They way
oversold
> it. If they had gone to Lieutenant Colonel Jerry Killian's secretary
> begin with, remember, she came forth and said, these documents didn't
> look like document she had typed, but they had the exact same content
> as she recalled things happening in real time back in the early
1970's.

She confirms that the documents are forgeries. Case Closed

She has confirmed that the documents are forgeries which only proves
that there was a conspiracy to defraud the American people by elements
of the Democratic Party, and that she may have very well been part of
that conspiracy.

Now lets get back to the story about Kerry's dishonerable discharge for
conduct unbecoming an officer. Please Mr. Kerry, release you military
records, that is unless you have something to hide.......

JimK
2005-01-11 21:37:25 EST
On 11 Jan 2005 17:04:43 -0800, "Theodore Herzl"
<*i@hotmail.com> wrote:

>*o@economicdemocracy.org wrote:
>> "..At the same time, CBS had an important story here. They way
>oversold
>> it. If they had gone to Lieutenant Colonel Jerry Killian's secretary
>> begin with, remember, she came forth and said, these documents didn't
>> look like document she had typed, but they had the exact same content
>> as she recalled things happening in real time back in the early
>1970's.
>
>She confirms that the documents are forgeries. Case Closed

No, she confirmed that she did not type the memo's,
but "the information in those (memos) is correct," said Marian Carr
Knox, who later appeared on Wednesday night's edition of 60 Minutes.

On that program, Knox said the questioned memos appeared to be based
on real ones that she typed for Killian in 1972 and 1973. She said she
had typed memos containing "the same information."

Specifically, Knox said she had typed a memo ordering Bush to report
for a required flight physical that he had missed, one expressing
Killian's frustration at pressure from superiors to give Bush a better
evaluation than he deserved, and one documenting Bush's request to be
excused from drills so he could go to Alabama to work on a political
campaign.

"It's plain and simple. Bush didn't think he had to go by the rules
that others did," Knox said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-09-15-cbs-guard_x.htm

>She has confirmed that the documents are forgeries which only proves
>that there was a conspiracy to defraud the American people by elements
>of the Democratic Party, and that she may have very well been part of
>that conspiracy.
>
>Now lets get back to the story about Kerry's dishonerable discharge for
>conduct unbecoming an officer. Please Mr. Kerry, release you military
>records, that is unless you have something to hide.......

Steven L.
2005-01-11 21:49:55 EST

JimK wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2005 17:04:43 -0800, "Theodore Herzl"
> <AntiZioNazi@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>info@economicdemocracy.org wrote:
>>
>>>"..At the same time, CBS had an important story here. They way
>>
>>oversold
>>
>>>it. If they had gone to Lieutenant Colonel Jerry Killian's secretary

>>>begin with, remember, she came forth and said, these documents didn't
>>>look like document she had typed, but they had the exact same content
>>>as she recalled things happening in real time back in the early
>>
>>1970's.
>>
>>She confirms that the documents are forgeries. Case Closed
>

> No, she confirmed that she did not type the memo's,
> but "the information in those (memos) is correct," said Marian Carr
> Knox, who later appeared on Wednesday night's edition of 60 Minutes.

If CBS isn't claiming that anymore, you shouldn't either.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

John Starrett
2005-01-13 22:16:21 EST
Steven L. wrote:

> JimK wrote:
>> No, she confirmed that she did not type the memo's,
>> but "the information in those (memos) is correct," said Marian Carr
>> Knox, who later appeared on Wednesday night's edition of 60 Minutes.
>

> If CBS isn't claiming that anymore, you shouldn't either.

If she said it, she said it, and it doesn't matter what CBS has to say.

John Starrett

Vet..
2005-01-15 11:21:30 EST
In article <Ru-dnQvVkq7bpHrcRVn-3A@nmt.edu>,
John Starrett <jstarret@sdc.org> wrote:

> Steven L. wrote:
>
> > JimK wrote:
> >> No, she confirmed that she did not type the memo's,
> >> but "the information in those (memos) is correct," said Marian Carr
> >> Knox, who later appeared on Wednesday night's edition of 60 Minutes.
> >

> > If CBS isn't claiming that anymore, you shouldn't either.
>
> If she said it, she said it, and it doesn't matter what CBS has to say.
>
> John Starrett

Naw, rich boys with influencial daddies don't go to war.

<g.
you can't fool all of the people , all of the time.