Activism Discussion: Poverty And Crime

Poverty And Crime

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

Howard McCoy
2005-01-19 16:17:07 EST
Progressive News and Views (since 1982)

Desperate People Do Desperate Things - Violent crime is the most profound
expression of the social crisis in America and it is the most damning
indictment of the American economic and political system. This inhumane
system has already led to the moral bankruptcy of American society, a
bankruptcy which breeds the alienation of people, the breakdown of
families, and an enormous crime epidemic...Crime exists everywhere but it
predominates in the United States more than in any other country,
especially violent crime. While there are killings and other crimes of
violence elsewhere in the world, their depth and scope do not compare to
that of the United States. There is no question that for a country which
is not beset by widespread civil unrest or insurrection, the United States
of America today is one of the most violent, most crimeridden societies on
earth. This is not occasional terrorist violence as it happens in other
countries but the terror of everyday life as it is lived by millions of
Americans today.

* Poverty and Crime

http://www.g0lem.net/PhpWiki/index.php/DesperatePeople

-----
/ o o \
===OO=====OO============================
http://pnews.org/ (links)
http://pnews.org/PhpWiki/ (1) News Wiki
http://g0lem.net/PhpWiki/ (2) News Wiki
(Mission) http://pnews.org/signup.shtml

==================
FIGHT THE RIGHT!
==================

Denis Loubet
2005-01-19 19:42:12 EST

"Howard McCoy" <adar@bsdshell.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> Progressive News and Views (since 1982)
>
> Desperate People Do Desperate Things - Violent crime is the most profound
> expression of the social crisis in America and it is the most damning
> indictment of the American economic and political system.

Of any system, I would assume.

> This inhumane
> system has already led to the moral bankruptcy of American society, a
> bankruptcy which breeds the alienation of people, the breakdown of
> families, and an enormous crime epidemic...

What enormous crime epidemic?

> Crime exists everywhere

I've never seen any personally. Obviously, its not EVERYWHERE.

> but it
> predominates in the United States more than in any other country,

That's where I live. I've never been robbed or assaulted.

> especially violent crime.

I suppose it must happen, but I have no first hand knowledge of such a
thing.

> While there are killings and other crimes of
> violence elsewhere in the world, their depth and scope do not compare to
> that of the United States.

Then the rest of the world must be like, well, like where I live.

> There is no question that for a country which
> is not beset by widespread civil unrest or insurrection, the United States
> of America today is one of the most violent, most crimeridden societies on
> earth.

That may be true. But I don't think it is as ubiquitous as you would have us
believe.

> This is not occasional terrorist violence as it happens in other
> countries but the terror of everyday life as it is lived by millions of
> Americans today.

Do you have any idea how many people are killed by traffic accidents? Now
THOSE I've seen, and I've been in traffic accidents. Violent crime is a
piker compared to traffic deaths.

Develope a sense of proportion. Put your efforts where they will do the most
good.

--
Denis Loubet
d*t@io.com

Ike
2005-01-19 20:00:10 EST

"Howard McCoy" <adar@bsdshell.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> Progressive News and Views (since 1982)
>
> Desperate People Do Desperate Things - Violent crime is the most profound
> expression of the social crisis in America and it is the most damning
> indictment of the American economic and political system. This inhumane
> system has already led to the moral bankruptcy of American society, a
> bankruptcy which breeds the alienation of people, the breakdown of
> families, and an enormous crime epidemic...Crime exists everywhere but it
> predominates in the United States more than in any other country,
> especially violent crime. While there are killings and other crimes of
> violence elsewhere in the world, their depth and scope do not compare to
> that of the United States. There is no question that for a country which
> is not beset by widespread civil unrest or insurrection, the United States
> of America today is one of the most violent, most crimeridden societies on
> earth. This is not occasional terrorist violence as it happens in other
> countries but the terror of everyday life as it is lived by millions of
> Americans today.

Are you forgetting the terrorists in Iraq?
--
The argument that everything had a Creator because it's too complicated, is
about as reasonable as saying that it couldn't have been created since it's

Al Klein
2005-01-20 02:57:47 EST
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:42:12 -0600, "Denis Loubet" <dloubet@io.com>
said in alt.atheism:

>"Howard McCoy" <adar@bsdshell.dyndns.org> wrote in message
>> Progressive News and Views (since 1982)

>> This inhumane
>> system has already led to the moral bankruptcy of American society, a
>> bankruptcy which breeds the alienation of people, the breakdown of
>> families, and an enormous crime epidemic...

>What enormous crime epidemic?

The one that's been going DOWN for years in America.
--
"Atheism is the world of reality, it is reason, it is freedom. Atheism is
human concern, and intellectual honesty to a degree that the religious mind

Al Klein
2005-01-20 02:58:15 EST
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 01:00:10 GMT, "Ike" <accordiondoc@mindspring.com>
said in alt.atheism:

>Are you forgetting the terrorists in Iraq?

Well ... those ARE Americans.
--
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education and social
ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he
(random sig, produced by SigChanger)
rukbat at verizon dot net

Nivlem
2005-01-20 04:11:45 EST

Denis Loubet wrote:
> "Howard McCoy" <adar@bsdshell.dyndns.org> wrote in message
>
>>Progressive News and Views (since 1982)
>>
>>Desperate People Do Desperate Things - Violent crime is the most profound
>>expression of the social crisis in America and it is the most damning
>>indictment of the American economic and political system.
>

> Of any system, I would assume.
>

>>This inhumane
>>system has already led to the moral bankruptcy of American society, a
>>bankruptcy which breeds the alienation of people, the breakdown of
>>families, and an enormous crime epidemic...
>

> What enormous crime epidemic?
>

>>Crime exists everywhere
>

> I've never seen any personally. Obviously, its not EVERYWHERE.
>

>>but it
>>predominates in the United States more than in any other country,
>

> That's where I live. I've never been robbed or assaulted.
>

>>especially violent crime.
>

> I suppose it must happen, but I have no first hand knowledge of such a
> thing.

You're right. The OP isn't, assuming that FBI statistics are correct.

>>While there are killings and other crimes of
>>violence elsewhere in the world, their depth and scope do not compare to
>>that of the United States.
>

> Then the rest of the world must be like, well, like where I live.

South Africa is probably worse than here. Colombia. Haiti. The Congo.
The Sudan. There's lots of places that are fairly lawless and
dangerous. The US is lousy compared to Western Europe and Canada, but
there are much uglier shitholes you could live in. I'm worried that
things are trending in a direction that may get to where the US is so
politically repressive and social inequality so extreme and pervasive
that we do become one of those places to flee, but we aren't there
yet by a long shot.

>>There is no question that for a country which
>>is not beset by widespread civil unrest or insurrection, the United States
>>of America today is one of the most violent, most crimeridden societies on
>>earth.
>

> That may be true. But I don't think it is as ubiquitous as you would have us
> believe.

It isn't true. And hey, compared to an average Yanomamo Indian male,
the ordinary American ghetto thug is a simpering drag queen. The
Yanomamo are believed to be the most violent people on Earth. A
typical Yanomamo guy has killed 6 people.

>>This is not occasional terrorist violence as it happens in other
>>countries but the terror of everyday life as it is lived by millions of
>>Americans today.
>

> Do you have any idea how many people are killed by traffic accidents? Now
> THOSE I've seen, and I've been in traffic accidents. Violent crime is a
> piker compared to traffic deaths.
>
> Develope a sense of proportion. Put your efforts where they will do the most
> good.

Ike
2005-01-20 05:38:31 EST

"Al Klein" <rukbat@pern.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 01:00:10 GMT, "Ike" <accordiondoc@mindspring.com>
> said in alt.atheism:
>
> >Are you forgetting the terrorists in Iraq?
>
> Well ... those ARE Americans.

The terrorists are not our soldiers.

MarkA
2005-01-20 07:48:07 EST
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:17:07 -0500, Howard McCoy wrote:

> Progressive News and Views (since 1982)
>
> Desperate People Do Desperate Things - Violent crime is the most profound
> expression of the social crisis in America and it is the most damning
> indictment of the American economic and political system. This inhumane
> system has already led to the moral bankruptcy of American society, a
> bankruptcy which breeds the alienation of people, the breakdown of
> families, and an enormous crime epidemic...Crime exists everywhere but it
> predominates in the United States more than in any other country,
> especially violent crime. While there are killings and other crimes of
> violence elsewhere in the world, their depth and scope do not compare to
> that of the United States. There is no question that for a country which
> is not beset by widespread civil unrest or insurrection, the United States
> of America today is one of the most violent, most crimeridden societies on
> earth. This is not occasional terrorist violence as it happens in other
> countries but the terror of everyday life as it is lived by millions of
> Americans today.
>
> * Poverty and Crime
>
> http://www.g0lem.net/PhpWiki/index.php/DesperatePeople

> -----
> / o o \
> ===OO=====OO============================ http://pnews.org/ (links)
> http://pnews.org/PhpWiki/ (1) News Wiki http://g0lem.net/PhpWiki/ (2) News
> Wiki ======================================== (Mission)
> http://pnews.org/signup.shtml ========================================
>
> ==================
> FIGHT THE RIGHT!
> ==================

Is it true that America is one of the most crimeridden societies on Earth?

How does the wealth distribution in America compare to other
industrialized societies?

How does immigration policy effect crime, and the number of poor people?

Does our current welfare system actually help people to rise out of
poverty, or does it reinforce it?

Does our current policy of criminalizing drugs encourage young people to
enter the drug trade, where they may realize great financial success, but
at the risk of increased violence and imprisonment?

--
MarkA
(still caught in the maze of twisty little passages, all different)

Christopher A. Lee
2005-01-20 09:06:42 EST
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:38:31 GMT, "Ike" <accordiondoc@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>"Al Klein" <rukbat@pern.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 01:00:10 GMT, "Ike" <accordiondoc@mindspring.com>
>> said in alt.atheism:
>>
>> >Are you forgetting the terrorists in Iraq?
>>
>> Well ... those ARE Americans.
>
>The terrorists are not our soldiers.

Yes they are. They are terrorising the Iraqi population, who don't
want them there.

It is dishonest to equate the resistence with terrorism because as you
know, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Douglas Berry
2005-01-20 11:50:11 EST
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:17:07 -0500, Howard McCoy
<*r@bsdshell.dyndns.org> drained his beer, leaned back in the
alt.atheism beanbag and drunkenly proclaimed the following

>Crime exists everywhere but it
>predominates in the United States more than in any other country,
>especially violent crime.

Never been to Uruguay, I take it? Highest per-capita crime rate in
the world.

How about Africa? Highway robbery is still common in many place,
corruption is rampant, and those are in the countries that are
relatively stable!

SE Asia? They have pirates. Actual sail-up-to-your-ship-and-board-it
pirates.
--

Douglas E. Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.
Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)