Activism Discussion: NO OSCAR FOR CHE

NO OSCAR FOR CHE

Dr. Jai Maharaj
2005-01-27 04:28:31 EST
No Oscar For Che

By Glynn Custred
The Claremont Institute
January 26, 2005

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences finds
itself in a bind. The Spanish language film The
Motorcycle Diaries is ineligible for this year's foreign-
language Academy Award, not because of the language, nor
because the film offends the sensitivities of Hollywood.
Indeed, quite the contrary. Executive producer Robert
Redford's Motorcycle Diaries is the story of the
political awakening of young Ernesto Che Guevara, the
most salient 20th-century icon of the Left whose Jesus-
like face peers at us from countless posters and T-shirts
around the world.

No, the problem for the Academy is not the subject matter
of the film; it is simply that the Academy has not kept
up with "globalization." Academy rules for the best
foreign-language category require that a film be
submitted by the country in which it originated.
Motorcycle Diaries, however, was filmed in five different
countries with international financial backing and an
international cast and crew, and is thus ineligible for
consideration. How Oscar's heart must break. The quality
of the production alone should certainly qualify the film
for serious consideration for any cinematographic award,
while its content earns it honorable mention in the
growing catalogue of leftist Hollywood propaganda.

Motorcycle Diaries tells the story of a trip made in 1952
by the then twenty-four year old Guevara and a friend,
both middle class Argentine students who set out on a
motorcycle from Buenos Aires in the south all the way to
Caracas, Venezuela at the northern end of the continent.
The narrative voice is that of the young Guevara speaking
from his diaries and the letters home he wrote along the
way. The film is a picaresque tale, the escapades of
loveable rascals who live by their wits while traveling
in a country characterized by hypocrisy, a genre in
Western literature that has popular characters from Henry
Fielding's Tom Jones to Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn.

Guevara and his companion roam the vast expanse of South
America, from the Argentine pampas to the snows and
fjord-like lakes of the Southern Andes, then up the
length of Chile through the Atacama Desert and the high
Andes of the old Inca Empire, ending on the great rivers
of the Amazon Basin. The magnificence of South America's
landscape is matched in the film by the people the
travelers meet along the way, vividly and accurately
presented in their regional variety and diversity of
human types. One sees the desperation and nobility of
poor miners on the bleak altiplano of the high Andes; the
patient, gentle descendents of the Inca masses in their
distinctive dress and speaking their soft native Quechua
or in their halting simple Spanish; and ordinary people,
in this case medical personnel, who are dedicated to
their profession and to the people they serve.

All of this skilled cinematographic art is mobilized to
relate Guevara's ideological odyssey and to depict the
purity of his motives and the inherent nobility of his
character. Guevara's role in Communism is played down
throughout. His introduction to Marxist ideology is
limited to only two scenes in which Guevara is shown
absorbed in Jose Mariatequi's Seven Essays on the
Peruvian Reality, a book that ties all the evils of the
long and exploitative history of Peru, and by extension
all of Latin America, into one seamless testament
according to the teachings of Karl Marx.

The film concludes with Guevara and his friend working as
volunteers in a leper colony deep in the Amazon jungle.
The dramatic high point is reached when Guevara defies
convention, as well as his sometimes debilitating asthma
and the swift currents of a river, by swimming across to
the other side to spend his last night in the colony with
the shunned lepers. "He's coming to us!" says one patient
when Guevara's features are discernible in the darkness.
Thus is the young Che, a man of immense empathy and
courage, willing to risk death in his commitment to the
despised and downtrodden of the world. Only at the end of
the film does a brief text on a black screen inform the
audience that Guevara went on to become a physician and a
revolutionary and was murdered by the CIA in the Bolivian
jungle.

"Murder" is indeed an appropriate term to use when
discussing Ernesto Guevara. Despite what Motorcycle
Diaries would lead a na\ufffdve audience to believe, Guevara
was not the Christ-like Lamb of God offering himself as a
sacrifice for a suffering humanity. He was one of the
many ruthless, violent fanatics in the global wave of
murders committed on a massive scale during the 20th
century in the name of Communism, a holocaust in which
some 100 million people worldwide lost their lives. The
real story of Ernesto Guevara's place in history, and the
deaths for which he was responsible, is told by Cuban
journalist Luis Ortega, who knew Guevara personally, in
his book Yo Soy El Che, by Daniel James in Che Guevara: a
Biography and by Armando M. Lago, author of the soon to
be released Cuba: the Human Cost of Social Revolutions.

Lago lists by name fourteen people personally murdered by
Guevara while fighting in the Sierra Madre as a part of
Fidel Castro's 1956-57 guerilla struggles to seize power
in Cuba. Once in power, Guevara became one of the central
figures of Castro's dictatorship with 10 confirmed
ordered executions in Santa Clara in 1959 and another 156
at La Cabana Fortress Prison. He was also responsible for
several thousand more during the first years of the
revolution. Guevara was also responsible for those killed
in the guerrilla uprisings he sponsored in Latin America,
and in which he participated after he had left Cuba. No
one knows how many people Guevara personally killed,
ordered killed, or who died as a result of his actions.
Lago believes the number for Cuba alone is 4,000.

It is said that Guevara was proud of shooting his enemies
in the back of the head. He was also vocal in his hatred,
and candid in his use of hate as a driving force. "Hatred
is an element in the struggle," he said, "unbending
hatred for the enemy which pushes a human being beyond
his natural limitations...." "A people without hate cannot
triumph against the adversary." During the Cuban missile
crisis Guevara pushed for war, since a nuclear holocaust,
he believed, would purge the world of evil and make way
for the rise of a new and better order.

Guevara's whole life as a revolutionary was not one of
Christ-like selfless sacrifice, and the distortion
depicted in The Motorcycle Diaries, is only another entry
in the long gallery of leftist propaganda. Since Redford'
s film so clearly reflects the spirit of Hollywood, it is
a shame, for them at least, that the anachronistic rules
of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
excludes this loving and dishonest homage to a Marxist
icon from consideration for Hollywood's highest honor.

About the Author:

Glynn Custred is a professor in the Department of Anthropology at California State University, Hayward.

The Lesser Evil is Not Good Enough
Posted on January 25, 2005

Anti-anti-Americanism
Posted on January 24, 2005

Counting Every Vote
Posted on January 24, 2005

http://www.claremont.org/writings/050125custred.html

- - - - - - -

Posted on 01/27/2005 12:15:20 AM PST by Stoat

-To: Stoat

"No soup for you!"

Posted on 01/27/2005 12:16:46 AM PST by sheik yerbouty

-To: Stoat

Thank you Lord God that the murderous deception of this
film will not be allowed to be publicly "honored" by the
Academy. May the true "honor" due Che Guevara be allotted
to him as he suffers eternal torment and may all the
families of those he murdered as well as those who
suffered because of his words and deeds be vindicated.
Lord, take vengeance on all who attempt to make a false
Christ out of this communist cutthroat.

Posted on 01/27/2005 1:03:31 AM PST by Californiajones

-To: Stoat

I'm kinda disappointed, actually. I think it would've
been great if Hollywood had gone all out in honoring a
film brownnosing Che Guevara. It would have finally put
the ridiculous claims of denial about their communist
sympathies to rest permanently.

Qwinn

Posted on 01/27/2005 1:07:23 AM PST by Qwinn

End of forwarded messages

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

The terrorist mission of Jesus stated in the Christian bible:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not so send
peace, but a sword.
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the
daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in
law.
"And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
- Matthew 10:34-36.

fair use of copyrighted works.
not necessarily those of the poster.

copyright owner.

Carlos F. Poli
2005-01-27 06:07:27 EST
El CHE no aceptar\ufffda semejante castigo, como el de un "premio oscar".-

--
Saluti per tutti,
Carlos Federico Poli
> [...]
> understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
> democratic, scientific, social, and cultural, etc., issues. It is believed
> that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
> Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
> included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
> information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the

RLunfa
2005-01-27 06:17:15 EST
> No Oscar For Che

En todo caso deber\ufffda la nota decir que no hubo premio para la pel\ufffdcula,
porque el premio para el Comandante Ernesto Guevara de La Serna ya se lo ha
concedido el pueblo.

Dr. To

Chuck
2005-01-27 09:56:03 EST
"RLunfa" <mitialagorda.(\ufffd)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <usenet@mantra.com> escribi\ufffd en el mensaje
> > No Oscar For Che
>
> En todo caso deber\ufffda la nota decir que no hubo premio para la pel\ufffdcula,
> porque el premio para el Comandante Ernesto Guevara de La Serna ya se lo
ha
> concedido el pueblo.

La verdad que la pelicula no estaba para un Oscar.

Yo no la alcance a terminar, vi un poco menos de la mitad --mas por cortesia
que por otra cosa-- a insistencia de unos amigos que me habian invitado a
cenar y pusieron la pelicula despues de la cena) Me aburrio y me despedi con
un -- Uds. me contaran el final .

Chuck

> Dr. To

RLunfa
2005-01-27 11:34:30 EST
"Chuck" <chamame_soldier@pinko.org> escribi\ufffd en el mensaje
> "RLunfa" <mitialagorda.(\ufffd)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <usenet@mantra.com> escribi\ufffd en el mensaje
> > > No Oscar For Che
> >
> > En todo caso deber\ufffda la nota decir que no hubo premio para la pel\ufffdcula,
> > porque el premio para el Comandante Ernesto Guevara de La Serna ya se lo
> ha
> > concedido el pueblo.
>
> La verdad que la pelicula no estaba para un Oscar.

No emito opini\ufffdn porque no la he visto.

> Yo no la alcance a terminar, vi un poco menos de la mitad --mas por
cortesia
> que por otra cosa-- a insistencia de unos amigos que me habian invitado a
> cenar y pusieron la pelicula despues de la cena) Me aburrio y me despedi
con
> un -- Uds. me contaran el final .

Se lo contar\ufffda si lo conociera y dudo que pueda hacerlo porque en particular
tiendo a no apreciar demasiado las teatralizaciones biogr\ufffdficas.

Pregunto, le aburri\ufffd por cuestiones de factura cinematogr\ufffdfica o
animadversi\ufffdn por prejuicio ideol\ufffdgico?

RLunfa

Cristina
2005-01-27 11:43:19 EST
No le des bola Lunfa, es una hermosa pelicula
Sobes, Cristina

> "Chuck" <chamame_soldier@pinko.org> escribi\ufffd en el mensaje
>> "RLunfa" <mitialagorda.(\ufffd)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <usenet@mantra.com> escribi\ufffd en el mensaje
>> >
>> > En todo caso deber\ufffda la nota decir que no hubo premio para la pel\ufffdcula,
>> > porque el premio para el Comandante Ernesto Guevara de La Serna ya se
>> > lo
>> ha
>> > concedido el pueblo.
>>
>> La verdad que la pelicula no estaba para un Oscar.
>
> No emito opini\ufffdn porque no la he visto.
>
>> Yo no la alcance a terminar, vi un poco menos de la mitad --mas por
> cortesia
>> que por otra cosa-- a insistencia de unos amigos que me habian invitado a
>> cenar y pusieron la pelicula despues de la cena) Me aburrio y me despedi
> con
>> un -- Uds. me contaran el final .
>
> Se lo contar\ufffda si lo conociera y dudo que pueda hacerlo porque en
> particular
> tiendo a no apreciar demasiado las teatralizaciones biogr\ufffdficas.
>
> Pregunto, le aburri\ufffd por cuestiones de factura cinematogr\ufffdfica o
> animadversi\ufffdn por prejuicio ideol\ufffdgico?
>
> RLunfa

Chuck
2005-01-27 12:20:31 EST
"RLunfa" <mitialagorda.(\ufffd)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Chuck" <chamame_soldier@pinko.org> escribi\ufffd en el mensaje
> > "RLunfa" <mitialagorda.(\ufffd)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <usenet@mantra.com> escribi\ufffd en el mensaje
> > >
> > > En todo caso deber\ufffda la nota decir que no hubo premio para la
pel\ufffdcula,
> > > porque el premio para el Comandante Ernesto Guevara de La Serna ya se
lo
> > ha
> > > concedido el pueblo.
> >
> > La verdad que la pelicula no estaba para un Oscar.
>
> No emito opini\ufffdn porque no la he visto.
>
> > Yo no la alcance a terminar, vi un poco menos de la mitad --mas por
> cortesia
> > que por otra cosa-- a insistencia de unos amigos que me habian invitado
> > cenar y pusieron la pelicula despues de la cena) Me aburrio y me despedi
> con
> > un -- Uds. me contaran el final .
>
> Se lo contar\ufffda si lo conociera y dudo que pueda hacerlo porque en
particular
> tiendo a no apreciar demasiado las teatralizaciones biogr\ufffdficas.
>
> Pregunto, le aburri\ufffd por cuestiones de factura cinematogr\ufffdfica o
> animadversi\ufffdn por prejuicio ideol\ufffdgico?

No, no es por "prejuicio ideologico". A mi no me corren las pelotudeces de
los bolches, mas bien me causan gracia. Vi los otros dias por ejemplo una
pelicula bolche "Common Ground" de Federico Luppi y me gusto. Parece de otro
siglo.

Chuck

> RLunfa

RLunfa
2005-01-27 14:28:07 EST
> "RLunfa" <mitialagorda.(\ufffd)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Chuck" <chamame_soldier@pinko.org> escribi\ufffd en el mensaje
> > > "RLunfa" <mitialagorda.(\ufffd)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> pel\ufffdcula,
> lo
> > > ha
> > >
> > > La verdad que la pelicula no estaba para un Oscar.
> >
> > No emito opini\ufffdn porque no la he visto.
> >
> > > Yo no la alcance a terminar, vi un poco menos de la mitad --mas por
> > cortesia
> > > que por otra cosa-- a insistencia de unos amigos que me habian
invitado
> > > cenar y pusieron la pelicula despues de la cena) Me aburrio y me
despedi
> > con
> > > un -- Uds. me contaran el final .
> >
> > Se lo contar\ufffda si lo conociera y dudo que pueda hacerlo porque en
> particular
> > tiendo a no apreciar demasiado las teatralizaciones biogr\ufffdficas.
> >
> > Pregunto, le aburri\ufffd por cuestiones de factura cinematogr\ufffdfica o
> > animadversi\ufffdn por prejuicio ideol\ufffdgico?
>
> No, no es por "prejuicio ideologico". A mi no me corren las pelotudeces de
> los bolches, mas bien me causan gracia. Vi los otros dias por ejemplo una
> pelicula bolche "Common Ground" de Federico Luppi y me gusto. Parece de
otro
> siglo.

El Che no era bolche ni menche, don Chuck.

Hoy justamente voy a ver en dvd "El Acorazado Potemkin".

RLunfa

> Chuck
>

> > RLunfa

Big Macbeth
2005-01-27 16:45:47 EST
suppose motorcycle diaries had been nominated. what a joke!

hollywood is accused of cultural imperalism around the world by all
so-called progressives.

the likes of che would have rounded up every hollywood pig and shot him
or her in the back of his or her head or sent him or her to a forced
labor camp.

i say let's give hollywood types a taste of their own medicine. i say
confisticate all of robert REDford's property, send him and his family
to re-education camps, make him work in a gulag, and if he doesn't obey
orders, just shoot him.
this is what REDford is supporting when he finances a movie extolling
che as a some great hero. che was a murderous stalinist who enjoyed
personally shooting political in the back of their heads. his beef
with castro was that castro was TOO soft and didn't kill enough. che
also wanted to launch nukes at US during the cuban missile crisis.

if hollywood loves che so much, let the leftwing and liberal jews of
hollywood and their dimwit goyim be given the che treatment. gimme a
pistol and i'll gladly shoot those capitalist pigs.

as for leftwing scum in US who worship a man who wanted to nuke the US
cities, i say round them up and kill them all.

B*@ciudad.com.ar
2005-01-27 19:43:32 EST
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:17:15 -0300, "RLunfa" <mitialagorda.(þ)@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Dr. Jai Maharaj" <usenet@mantra.com> escribió en el mensaje
>> No Oscar For Che
>
>En todo caso debería la nota decir que no hubo premio para la película,
>porque el premio para el Comandante Ernesto Guevara de La Serna ya se lo ha
>concedido el pueblo.
>
>Dr. To

...el Pueblo... el Pueblo...: un gordo nostálgico de los sesenta, siete isleños, medio bolita,
treinta y dos intelectuales de café y doce fabricantes de transfers para t-shirts...

Hacé algo útil en serio, Lunfarrón: andá a ordenar el cuartito del fondo, que ya no se puede ni
entrar...

Bonosio