Activism Discussion: At Least Wal-Mart Provides On-the-Job Training For Free

At Least Wal-Mart Provides On-the-Job Training For Free

Nomen Nescio
2005-01-31 18:20:03 EST
When you go to work for Wal-Mart, they train you all you need to know to do
your job on their nickel and pay you for learning.

But, any other company in this Land expects you or your parents to send you
to college and blow their wad for a degree or certificate and when you get
out what good is it? Take your trade school diploma in auto mechanics and
go to a Chevrolet dealer and apply for a job. You are not qualified
because you don't have on-the-job experience. They want like 12 years of
on-the-job experience, preferrably all in the last four years. That's what
you're up against these days in this God forsaken job market. Don't go for
that college or trade school ripoff. Even the best schools won't qualify
you for a job at McDonalds.

But with Wal-Mart, you don't need five minutes of on-the-job experience.
They hire you and train you. That's the way it should be.

And that's the way it should be at the Chevrolet dealer. They should hire
a high school boy who's good with a wrench and screwdriver and send him to
the Company trade school and then put him to work. No expense to the boy
or family. G.M. should pay for it all. They're rich.

And as far as public schools go, why should the taxpayers pay for
vocational education? If Maytag needs washing machine mechanics, let them
run their own school. If Chevrolet needs auto mechanics, let them run
their own school. Free tuition for all, that's the only solution.

Wal-Mart is showing the way to go. Kudos to them. Long live Wal-Mart.

George Grapman
2005-01-31 18:24:56 EST
Nomen Nescio wrote:
> When you go to work for Wal-Mart, they train you all you need to know to do
> your job on their nickel and pay you for learning.
>
> But, any other company in this Land expects you or your parents to send you
> to college and blow their wad for a degree or certificate and when you get
> out what good is it? Take your trade school diploma in auto mechanics and
> go to a Chevrolet dealer and apply for a job. You are not qualified
> because you don't have on-the-job experience. They want like 12 years of
> on-the-job experience, preferrably all in the last four years. That's what
> you're up against these days in this God forsaken job market. Don't go for
> that college or trade school ripoff. Even the best schools won't qualify
> you for a job at McDonalds.
>
> But with Wal-Mart, you don't need five minutes of on-the-job experience.
> They hire you and train you. That's the way it should be.
>
> And that's the way it should be at the Chevrolet dealer. They should hire
> a high school boy who's good with a wrench and screwdriver and send him to
> the Company trade school and then put him to work. No expense to the boy
> or family. G.M. should pay for it all. They're rich.
>
> And as far as public schools go, why should the taxpayers pay for
> vocational education? If Maytag needs washing machine mechanics, let them
> run their own school. If Chevrolet needs auto mechanics, let them run
> their own school. Free tuition for all, that's the only solution.
>
> Wal-Mart is showing the way to go. Kudos to them. Long live Wal-Mart.

By your logic let's get rid of public funding for everything beyond
high school. Let big law firms have their own law schools, same for
hospital and medical schools and general business with higher education.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Dave C.
2005-01-31 18:32:17 EST

"Nomen Nescio" <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message
> When you go to work for Wal-Mart, they train you all you need to know to
do
> your job on their nickel and pay you for learning.

Yeah, you earn a whole $7.50 during that OJT session. -Dave

Jeff Jonas
2005-01-31 19:21:32 EST
> When you go to work for Wal-Mart, they train you all you need to know to
> do your job on their nickel and pay you for learning.

And of what value is that outside of WalMart?
You learn the WalMart way of accounting and
the WalMart way of team-building and
the WalMart way of euphoria and
the WalMart way of handling customers.
But happily, most stores don't do it the WalMart way:
they're still DOING THINGS BETTER!

John A. Weeks III
2005-01-31 22:06:02 EST
In article <a5384a516e499e1a538e9f04b301ac45@dizum.com>,
Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> But, any other company in this Land expects you or your parents to send you
> to college and blow their wad for a degree or certificate and when you get
> out what good is it? Take your trade school diploma in auto mechanics and
> go to a Chevrolet dealer and apply for a job. You are not qualified
> because you don't have on-the-job experience. They want like 12 years of
> on-the-job experience, preferrably all in the last four years. That's what
> you're up against these days in this God forsaken job market.

Things are tough all over these days. To make it worse, it is the
first time since the New Deal era where the government has decided
to ignore the plight of the people and not do anything to help out.
For example, the idiots in Washington are raising interest rates
while unemployment continues to climb.

It has gotten to the point where there are so few jobs that pay
above minimum wage (or slightly above), do to all the off-shoring,
that one really has to think twice about spending money on education
these days. 20 years ago, it was a no-brainer, a college meant
something. Today, all it means is 4 years of no income, which
puts you behind everyone who didn't go to college.

> And that's the way it should be at the Chevrolet dealer. They should hire
> a high school boy who's good with a wrench and screwdriver and send him to
> the Company trade school and then put him to work. No expense to the boy
> or family. G.M. should pay for it all. They're rich.

I wouldn't say that GM is rich. They get their money by charging
people who buy cars. If you make it more expensive for GM, all
they do is raise car prices, so you pay it back.

In the good old days, companies would hire smart people, and then
train them in. Today, with the glut of highly skilled white males
who are looking for jobs, companies know that they can set high
standards and offer low benefits, and people will take it. They
have us over a barrel.

The reason that GM doesn't do what you propose is that as soon
as they get someone trained, that person will leave and go
somewhere else. Why? Because people know that you never get
promoted by staying in the same company. In the old days, you
could start in the mail room and work you way up to the head
office. Today? You have to jump ship to get a raise or a
promotion. As companies proved that they had no loyalty to
their workers, the workers learned that lesson and lost their
loyalty to the companies.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 john@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com

Docgetwell
2005-01-31 22:13:32 EST
For most business firms that's quite a bit of value. It's politically
correct for businesses to mimic the Wal-Mart philosophy. Wal-Mart employees
are actually in high demand in the US job market.

"Jeff Jonas" <jeffj@panix.com> wrote in message

>> When you go to work for Wal-Mart, they train you all you need to know to
>> do your job on their nickel and pay you for learning.
>
> And of what value is that outside of WalMart?

George Grapman
2005-01-31 22:31:11 EST
John A. Weeks III wrote:
> In article <a5384a516e499e1a538e9f04b301ac45@dizum.com>,
> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>

>>But, any other company in this Land expects you or your parents to send you
>>to college and blow their wad for a degree or certificate and when you get
>>out what good is it? Take your trade school diploma in auto mechanics and
>>go to a Chevrolet dealer and apply for a job. You are not qualified
>>because you don't have on-the-job experience. They want like 12 years of
>>on-the-job experience, preferrably all in the last four years. That's what
>>you're up against these days in this God forsaken job market.
>

> Things are tough all over these days. To make it worse, it is the
> first time since the New Deal era where the government has decided
> to ignore the plight of the people and not do anything to help out.
> For example, the idiots in Washington are raising interest rates
> while unemployment continues to climb.
>
> It has gotten to the point where there are so few jobs that pay
> above minimum wage (or slightly above), do to all the off-shoring,
> that one really has to think twice about spending money on education
> these days. 20 years ago, it was a no-brainer, a college meant
> something. Today, all it means is 4 years of no income, which
> puts you behind everyone who didn't go to college.
>

>>And that's the way it should be at the Chevrolet dealer. They should hire
>>a high school boy who's good with a wrench and screwdriver and send him to
>>the Company trade school and then put him to work. No expense to the boy
>>or family. G.M. should pay for it all. They're rich.
>

> I wouldn't say that GM is rich. They get their money by charging
> people who buy cars. If you make it more expensive for GM, all
> they do is raise car prices, so you pay it back.
>
> In the good old days, companies would hire smart people, and then
> train them in. Today, with the glut of highly skilled white males
> who are looking for jobs, companies know that they can set high
> standards and offer low benefits, and people will take it. They
> have us over a barrel.

My first full time job was with a large retail store. On the first
day one of the execs introduced himself to me and told me that 20 years
ago he had started at the company with my job.
Several times a week there would be a picture of someone at the
employees entrance noting that they had been promoted to a department
head or buyer. There would be a brief bio and it almost always noted
they had been with the company over a period of time. Rarely did it say
that the person had just come from another company.
As long as you worked honestly you had a job. Some got regular
promotions, others stayed at the same job but no one was ever out of
work because quarterly sales were down 2 percent.
One company rule was that you had to get an answer for a customer
even in cases like mine where I did not work on the sales floor. If I
did not know an answer I had to stay with the customer until we found
someone who had an answer. I remember seeing the president of the
company escorting an elderly woman through the shoe department.
The point is that we cared about the company because the company
cared about us. Today many employees know that they can be gone in an
instant. I have a friend in a senior management position at a large
bank. He has been there for 9 years. No one ever even implied that there
was a problem with his work. Just before Christmas he was told that he
was no longer need. No reason was given

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Rod Speed
2005-01-31 23:35:34 EST

John A. Weeks III <john@johnweeks.com> wrote in message
> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote

>> But, any other company in this Land expects you or your parents to send
>> you to college and blow their wad for a degree or certificate and when you
>> get out what good is it? Take your trade school diploma in auto mechanics
>> and go to a Chevrolet dealer and apply for a job. You are not qualified
>> because you don't have on-the-job experience. They want like 12 years
>> of on-the-job experience, preferrably all in the last four years. That's
>> what you're up against these days in this God forsaken job market.

> Things are tough all over these days.

Bullshit. The unemployment rate is 5%. Thats nothing like 'tough'

> To make it worse, it is the first time since the New
> Deal era where the government has decided to ignore
> the plight of the people and not do anything to help out.

More utterly mindless bullshit.

> For example, the idiots in Washington are raising
> interest rates while unemployment continues to climb.

You're lying about the unemployment rate.

> It has gotten to the point where there are so few jobs
> that pay above minimum wage (or slightly above), do
> to all the off-shoring, that one really has to think twice
> about spending money on education these days.

Nope, just concentrate on jobs that can never be offshored
in enough numbers to matter. It aint rocket science.

> 20 years ago, it was a no-brainer, a college meant something.

Still does if you've got enough of a clue to get qualified in an
area that can never be offshored in enough numbers to matter.

> Today, all it means is 4 years of no income, which
> puts you behind everyone who didn't go to college.

Utterly mindless silly stuff.

In spades if you want more than a minimum wage 'job'

>> And that's the way it should be at the Chevrolet dealer. They should
>> hire a high school boy who's good with a wrench and screwdriver and
>> send him to the Company trade school and then put him to work. No
>> expense to the boy or family. G.M. should pay for it all. They're rich.

> I wouldn't say that GM is rich. They get their money by
> charging people who buy cars. If you make it more expensive
> for GM, all they do is raise car prices, so you pay it back.

Indeed. And it would make them even less competitive
with imported cars which would see less jobs in GM.

> In the good old days, companies would
> hire smart people, and then train them in.

Plenty still do.

> Today, with the glut of highly skilled
> white males who are looking for jobs,

Lie with 5% unemployment.

> companies know that they can set high standards and offer low
> benefits, and people will take it. They have us over a barrel.

Bullshit with 5% unemployment.

> The reason that GM doesn't do what you propose is that
> as soon as they get someone trained, that person will leave
> and go somewhere else. Why? Because people know that
> you never get promoted by staying in the same company.

More utterly mindless silly stuff.

> In the old days, you could start in the mail room and
> work you way up to the head office. Today? You
> have to jump ship to get a raise or a promotion.

More utterly mindless silly stuff.

> As companies proved that they had no loyalty
> to their workers, the workers learned that
> lesson and lost their loyalty to the companies.

More utterly mindless silly stuff.

No surprise that no one is actually
stupid enough to offer you a decent job.

George Grapman
2005-02-01 00:08:46 EST
Rod Speed wrote:
> John A. Weeks III <john@johnweeks.com> wrote in message
>
>>Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote
>

>>>But, any other company in this Land expects you or your parents to send
>>>you to college and blow their wad for a degree or certificate and when you
>>>get out what good is it? Take your trade school diploma in auto mechanics
>>>and go to a Chevrolet dealer and apply for a job. You are not qualified
>>>because you don't have on-the-job experience. They want like 12 years
>>>of on-the-job experience, preferrably all in the last four years. That's
>>>what you're up against these days in this God forsaken job market.
>

>>Things are tough all over these days.
>

> Bullshit. The unemployment rate is 5%. Thats nothing like 'tough'

Do you know that a portion of the U.S. unemployment rate is based on
people who register for work at state employment offices or are
actively seeking work? The registration is a requisite for collecting
benefits but most of the jobs at these offices are menial. When the
benefits run out people have no reason to return to those offices.
In addition many part time workers are considered to be employed.

Prediction-Fecal obsessed Rod will reply with a reference to fecal
matter but, of course, no facts to refute my post.
When a cite backing up this post is mad the will claim that it did
not address the claim.

>>To make it worse, it is the first time since the New
>>Deal era where the government has decided to ignore
>>the plight of the people and not do anything to help out.
>

> More utterly mindless bullshit.
>

>>For example, the idiots in Washington are raising
>>interest rates while unemployment continues to climb.
>

> You're lying about the unemployment rate.
>

>>It has gotten to the point where there are so few jobs
>>that pay above minimum wage (or slightly above), do
>>to all the off-shoring, that one really has to think twice
>>about spending money on education these days.
>

> Nope, just concentrate on jobs that can never be offshored
> in enough numbers to matter. It aint rocket science.
>

>>20 years ago, it was a no-brainer, a college meant something.
>

> Still does if you've got enough of a clue to get qualified in an
> area that can never be offshored in enough numbers to matter.
>

>>Today, all it means is 4 years of no income, which
>>puts you behind everyone who didn't go to college.
>

> Utterly mindless silly stuff.
>
> In spades if you want more than a minimum wage 'job'
>

>>>And that's the way it should be at the Chevrolet dealer. They should
>>>hire a high school boy who's good with a wrench and screwdriver and
>>>send him to the Company trade school and then put him to work. No
>>>expense to the boy or family. G.M. should pay for it all. They're rich.
>

>>I wouldn't say that GM is rich. They get their money by
>>charging people who buy cars. If you make it more expensive
>>for GM, all they do is raise car prices, so you pay it back.
>

> Indeed. And it would make them even less competitive
> with imported cars which would see less jobs in GM.
>

>>In the good old days, companies would
>>hire smart people, and then train them in.
>

> Plenty still do.
>

>>Today, with the glut of highly skilled
>>white males who are looking for jobs,
>

> Lie with 5% unemployment.
>

>>companies know that they can set high standards and offer low
>>benefits, and people will take it. They have us over a barrel.
>

> Bullshit with 5% unemployment.
>

>>The reason that GM doesn't do what you propose is that
>>as soon as they get someone trained, that person will leave
>>and go somewhere else. Why? Because people know that
>>you never get promoted by staying in the same company.
>

> More utterly mindless silly stuff.
>

>>In the old days, you could start in the mail room and
>>work you way up to the head office. Today? You
>>have to jump ship to get a raise or a promotion.
>

> More utterly mindless silly stuff.
>

>>As companies proved that they had no loyalty
>>to their workers, the workers learned that
>>lesson and lost their loyalty to the companies.
>

> More utterly mindless silly stuff.
>
> No surprise that no one is actually
> stupid enough to offer you a decent job.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Rod Speed
2005-02-01 00:42:30 EST

George Grapman <sfgeorge@paccbell.net> wrote in message
> Rod Speed wrote
>> John A. Weeks III <john@johnweeks.com> wrote
>>> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote

>>> Things are tough all over these days.

>> Bullshit. The unemployment rate is 5%. Thats nothing like 'tough'

> Do you know that a portion of the U.S. unemployment rate is based on people
> who register for work at state employment offices or are actively seeking
> work?

That what unemployed means, stupid.

And the same measure was used when the unemployment
rate was much higher, when it really was tough.

> The registration is a requisite for collecting benefits but most of the jobs
> at these offices are menial.

Pity about the OR in your original.

> When the benefits run out people have no reason to return to those offices.

Pity about the OR in your original.

> In addition many part time workers are considered to be employed.

They clearly arent unemployed, stupid.

Reams of your puerile shit flushed where it belongs.