Activism Discussion: Pink Pistols Defend RKBA

Pink Pistols Defend RKBA
Posts: 13

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)

Dan Clore
2005-02-04 06:04:15 EST
News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo

*****

SAN FRANCISCO
Gay group defends right to arms
Pink Pistols oppose ballot issue backed by supervisors
by Rona Marech
[San Francisco] Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, February 3, 2005

Don't be fooled by the stereotype, said Aaron Thomas, a
30-year-old gay man with ruddy cheeks, an open manner and a
9mm semiautomatic handgun.

Gay, gun-loving San Franciscans exist, he said shortly
before hunching his back, steadying himself and firing at a
target. Not only do they exist, they are steamed up about
the proposed law -- supported by five San Francisco
supervisors and set to go before voters next fall -- that
would ban the ownership of handguns.

The right to own guns may be even more important than the
right to marry, Thomas said during the monthly shooting
practice organized by the gay gun group the Pink Pistols.

"I want to be liberated as a gay man, but I'm not willing to
give up the rights I have," he said. "If they can take that
away from you, what more can they do?"

As the debate over the handgun ban proposal sharpens, the
Pink Pistols, a national group with 38 chapters, is
determinedly stepping into the fray. Organizers have posted
their hearty objections to the proposed law on the group's
Web site -- along with contact information for the five
supervisors who voted for the ban -- and are weighing
whether to join a lawsuit challenging the ordinance that the
National Rifle Association is expected to file, said
spokeswoman Gwen Patton.

Gay men and lesbians are at risk of becoming hate crime
victims, the group's philosophy goes, and therefore
community members should learn how to protect themselves --
with firearms.

"We believe that first you need to stay alive, then you need
to educate," Patton said.

The Pink Pistols are likely to play a critical role in the
developing San Francisco fight, said Chuck Michel, a
spokesman for the California Rifle and Pistol Association
and a lawyer for the National Rifle Association. "They have
a great deal of legitimacy because they recognize they are
at great odds of becoming victims because of their sexual
preference. . . . I think people will understand that they
should not be deprived of their rights."

But San Francisco Supervisor Tom Ammiano, one of the ban's
supporters, said he isn't swayed by that logic.

"Gay bashing, name-calling, violence -- many of us in the
gay community have experienced that but don't feel the same
way about how to prevent it," he said. "I don't think
unlimited handguns are the answer."

On Tuesday evening, five Pink Pistol shooters who
respectfully disagree exercised their rights to own and
shoot guns at Jackson Arms, a low-budget indoor shooting
range in South San Francisco. The group was headed by Thomas
Boyer, the organizer of the San Francisco chapter of the
Pink Pistols, whose stepfather gave him his first gun when
he was just 6 years old. Richard Newell, the marketing
director at a high-tech company, showed up to shoot in
loafers and a striped shirt, a pager hooked to his belt.

Brian DiCrocco, a Republican who formerly served in the U.S.
Air Force, had just recently learned how to shoot. Edward, a
self-described "libertarian, anarchist, socialist" with a
"small arsenal" of guns at home, didn't want to give his
last name. In San Francisco, being out about gun ownership
is in some ways more difficult than being out as gay, he
said with a laugh.

The group clapped on ear protection and spread out over
three lanes in the dingy shooting gallery. For the next hour
and a half, it was all about the guns. Boyer bounced around
offering tips as they tried out each other's guns and
studied the paper targets that eventually grew lacy with
bullet holes.

"When you have a gun," Thomas shouted over the din from the
gunshots, "you have a lot of respect for the power of the
instrument."

By the end of their session, the floor was sprinkled with
brass bullet casings.

The men were ready with standard pro-gun arguments about
their constitutional right to protect themselves and how
handgun bans had failed to reduce crime in other cities.
They also spoke about defending themselves from gay bashers
and went out of their way to make the connection between gun
rights and gay rights.

"President Bush is trying to write prejudice into the
Constitution, and the liberals are trying to do the same
thing," Thomas said. "Our city's supervisors supporting this
just freaks me out. Now I would not vote for any of them
ever again. I felt like they were for our civil rights, and
now I realize they aren't."

For his part, Boyer, a Democrat, has a complicated theory
about how the left's stand on guns is hurting progressive
politics and the fight for gay rights. Many people in the
middle of the country are neutral about same-sex marriage,
he said, but refuse to vote for politicians who favor gay
rights if they are also against gun rights.

Representatives of the California Rifle and Pistol
Association and the NRA said they have an easy alliance with
the Pink Pistols.

"Sexual preference is not an issue. Neither is their race.
Neither is their sex," Michel said. "They (the California
Rifle and Pistol Association) are a single-issue advocacy
group and as far as they're concerned, anyone who agrees
with them on that issue is a friend."

In fact, around the country -- including in the Bay Area --
the Pink Pistols tend to get a better response from firearms
supporters than from homosexuals, Patton said. Thomas said
he rarely talks about owning a gun because of the attitudes
toward guns here.

"People will freak out on you," he said.

Officially, gay groups and some antiviolence groups haven't
lined up to take positions on the proposed ordinance.

"I'm not going to tell someone what he should or shouldn't
do," said Tina D'Elia, the hate violence survivor program
director at the organization Community United Against
Violence. At the same time, "I'm not going to say that
anyone is going to avoid a gay bashing because they own a
handgun," she said.

Thom Lynch, the director of the San Francisco Lesbian Gay
Bisexual Transgender Community Center, also is refusing to
take sides, but he did have a few thoughts on the matter of
gays and guns. "It shows once again that we're not a
monolithic group," he said.

"It's amazing to me," he added, "how there's no issue in
American politics that isn't a gay and lesbian issue."

E-mail Rona Marech at mailto:rmarech@sfchronicle.com

Page B - 1
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/03/BAGMTB4NTL1.DTL


--
Dan Clore

Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1587154838/thedanclorenecro
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608












Bill Levinson
2005-02-04 12:44:53 EST


Dan Clore wrote:

> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>
> *****
>
> SAN FRANCISCO
> Gay group defends right to arms
> Pink Pistols oppose ballot issue backed by supervisors
> by Rona Marech
> [San Francisco] Chronicle Staff Writer
> Thursday, February 3, 2005

I support the Pink Pistols (there should be a link to them at
http://www.stentorian.com/2ndamend/).

I think all the working people should move out of San Francisco and Los
Angeles, thus leaving both cities inhabited solely by collectivist
politicians, welfare recipients, and illegal aliens. I wonder how long
they will be able to run their social programs without working people.

--Bill


Dan Clore
2005-02-04 13:29:03 EST
Bill Levinson wrote:
> Dan Clore wrote:
>
>> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>>
>> *****
>>
>> SAN FRANCISCO
>> Gay group defends right to arms
>> Pink Pistols oppose ballot issue backed by supervisors
>> by Rona Marech
>> [San Francisco] Chronicle Staff Writer
>> Thursday, February 3, 2005
>
> I support the Pink Pistols (there should be a link to them at
> http://www.stentorian.com/2ndamend/).

I just wonder if they can legitimately be referred to as
"gun fags".

--
Dan Clore

My collected fiction, _The Unspeakable and Others_:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1587154838/thedanclorenecro
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo

Strange pleasures are known to him who flaunts the
immarcescible purple of poetry before the color-blind.
-- Clark Ashton Smith, "Epigrams and Apothegms"


S*@hotmail.com
2005-02-04 17:52:54 EST
Firearm fags sounds better to me.


Bill Levinson
2005-02-05 15:36:04 EST


Dan Clore wrote:

> Bill Levinson wrote:
>
>> Dan Clore wrote:
>>
>>> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>>>
>>> *****
>>>
>>> SAN FRANCISCO
>>> Gay group defends right to arms
>>> Pink Pistols oppose ballot issue backed by supervisors
>>> by Rona Marech
>>> [San Francisco] Chronicle Staff Writer
>>> Thursday, February 3, 2005
>>
>>
>> I support the Pink Pistols (there should be a link to them at
>> http://www.stentorian.com/2ndamend/).
>
>
> I just wonder if they can legitimately be referred to as "gun fags".

How very tolerant of you. I don't mind the men being gay as each is one
less competitor for single women. On the other hand, I wish someone
could "straighten out" Anne Heche and Ellen DeGeneres. (Don't bother
with Rosie O'Donnell, a man would have to have an alternative sexual
orientation to want to get into bed with her-- or it, or whatever.) :-)


J*@mindspring.com
2005-02-05 16:10:36 EST
Bill Levinson wrote:

> Dan Clore wrote:
>
>> Bill Levinson wrote:
>>
>>> Dan Clore wrote:
>>>
>>>> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>>>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>>>>
>>>> *****
>>>>
>>>> SAN FRANCISCO
>>>> Gay group defends right to arms
>>>> Pink Pistols oppose ballot issue backed by supervisors
>>>> by Rona Marech
>>>> [San Francisco] Chronicle Staff Writer
>>>> Thursday, February 3, 2005
>>>
>>> I support the Pink Pistols (there should be a link to them
>>> at http://www.stentorian.com/2ndamend/).
>>
>> I just wonder if they can legitimately be referred to as "gun fags".
>
> How very tolerant of you. I don't mind the men being gay as
> each is one less competitor for single women. On the other
> hand, I wish someone could "straighten out" Anne Heche and
> Ellen DeGeneres.

You're behind the times here, Bill.

Anne Heche "straightened" herself out:

Biography for
Anne Heche

Birth name:
Anne Celeste Heche

Spouse:
Coleman 'Coley' Laffoon (1 September 2001 - present) 1 child
<http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000162/bio>

> (Don't bother with Rosie O'Donnell, a man would have to have
> an alternative sexual orientation to want to get into bed with
> her-- or it, or whatever.) :-)


Felix D.
2005-02-05 18:26:01 EST

<*2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1107557574.287050.255630@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Firearm fags sounds better to me.

I know Tom Boyle, and I'd like to see you say this to his face.



Bill Levinson
2005-02-05 21:28:29 EST


J*n@mindspring.com wrote:
> Bill Levinson wrote:

>
> You're behind the times here, Bill.
>
> Anne Heche "straightened" herself out:
>
> Biography for
> Anne Heche
>
> Birth name:
> Anne Celeste Heche
>
> Spouse:
> Coleman 'Coley' Laffoon (1 September 2001 - present) 1 child
> <http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000162/bio>

This doesn't do any good. Since she's married, she is just as
unavailable as if she was still a lesbian. :-(

--Bill


ButtPirate John Wayne Gacy
2005-02-06 16:20:05 EST
"Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote...
> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>
> *****
>
> SAN FRANCISCO
> Gay group defends right to arms
> Pink Pistols oppose ballot issue backed by supervisors
> by Rona Marech
> [San Francisco] Chronicle Staff Writer
> Thursday, February 3, 2005
>
> Don't be fooled by the stereotype, said Aaron Thomas, a
> 30-year-old gay man with ruddy cheeks, an open manner and a
> 9mm semiautomatic handgun.
>
> Gay, gun-loving San Franciscans exist, he said shortly
> before hunching his back, steadying himself and firing at a
> target. Not only do they exist, they are steamed up about
> the proposed law -- supported by five San Francisco
> supervisors and set to go before voters next fall -- that
> would ban the ownership of handguns.

I am extremely surprised that such a group exists. While I am a gay
American myself, I have long disassociated myself from the "gay
community" due to their radical leftist extremism. My brother is
also gay and a member of said "gay community" and like Winston's
wife in "1984," he has not a thought in his head that isn't a
slogan and there is no imbecility, absolutely none, that he isn't
capable of swallowing if the Party hands it out to him. While I
support equality for homosexuals as well as the right to marry, I
do not subscribe to the rest of their Marxist agenda, and as such
even if I chose to associate with them I would be ostracized for
unorthodoxy. In other words, if you support gay rights, you MUST
support gun control, the right of illegal aliens to vote, ever
increasing spending on social welfare programs, the complete
disbandment of the military, and forced re-education of all
dissidents who are not "tolerant" enough of gays and their agenda.

It's identical to what we see among the "black community," members
are expected to subscribe to the same leftist orthodoxy and any
deviation leads to accusations of racial treason (e.g. Clarence
Thomas, Alan Keyes, Condaleeza Rice, etc., all of whom have
"betrayed" their people by refusing to support the Communist...err,
Democratic Party). Like with gays, blacks who express support for
equality, etc. are also expected to accept the rest of the agenda
without question.


------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is intolerable to us that an erroneous thought should exist anywhere
in the world, however secret and powerless it may be. Even in the
instant of death we cannot permit any deviation. In the old days the
heretic walked to the stake still a heretic, proclaiming his heresy,
exulting in it. Even the victim of the Russian purges could carry
rebellion locked up in his skull as he walked down the passage waiting
for the bullet. But we make the brain perfect before we blow it out."
-- George Orwell, "1984"
------------------------------------------------------------------------


G*rd*n
2005-02-07 09:53:04 EST
> > SAN FRANCISCO
> > Gay group defends right to arms
> > Pink Pistols oppose ballot issue backed by supervisors

"ButtPirate John Wayne Gacy" <jwgacy@pogo.net>:
> I am extremely surprised that such a group exists. While I am a gay
> American myself, I have long disassociated myself from the "gay
> community" due to their radical leftist extremism. ...


Well, there you go. Dissociation has its down side.

Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)


2021 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron