Activism Discussion: Kicked Around By The Israeli Military

Kicked Around By The Israeli Military
Posts: 9

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Dan Clore
2005-02-04 05:57:46 EST
News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo

Kicked around by the Israeli military
Thursday, 3 February 2005, 10:28 am
Press Release: International Solidarity Movement
by Aaron Lakoff Hebron
Palestine -- February 1, 2005

To view the photos which accompany this story, visit
http://gallery.cmaq.net/album31

In a country where fear is so ingrained in the culture and
many are racked with the fright of being attacked at any
second, it's strange to see what can pass as a security threat.

I am a member of the International Solidarity Movement
(ISM). The ISM is a non-violent organization. All members of
the ISM must abide by its principles at all times.
Therefore, as logic follows, I am a peaceful activist.

Many, if not most, of the Palestinians I've met are also
peaceful activists. To be peaceful for them is one of many
choices, but to be an activist is not. When your lands are
being erased, your children are being shot, and your very
identity is being denied, resistance becomes your only
option. You must resist to exist.

So, on the morning of Tuesday, February 1st, when we were
called to a demonstration in Khallet Al-Dar, just south of
Hebron, to protest land destruction for the building of a
settler bypass road, I wasn't surprised to find a fervent
passion in the crowd.

A note on settlement roads -- settlement roads connect
settlements to one another and to Israel. Settlements are
illegal under international law. Many Israelis dismiss
international law. Too many scoldings, too many headaches.
Many of the settlers think it's their god-given right to
steal land from Palestinians and build fancy homes on it.
Settlements are for Jewish people only, and settler roads
are for Israeli cars only. In South Africa, they would have
called this apartheid. In Alabama, the word was segregation.
In Israel, they just call them settlements.

The road in question today was being built to connect the
Israeli settlements of Kiryat Arba and Beit Hagai in the
Hebron area. It has already received much opposition from
local Palestinians. So much so that the Israeli Supreme
Court made an injunction recently that the construction had
to be halted for 21 days. Rather than wait for a legal
ruling on their already-illegal road, the Israeli
authorities simply decided to move the path of the road
about a kilometer and start anew.

On Sunday, the Israeli Occupation Forces uprooted 300 trees
on the road's path. Palestinians here say this kind of land
confiscation is shattering their peace -- a peace that many
are hoping for, the Western media is obsessing over, but
Palestine isn't seeing.

As the demonstration marched towards the hill where the road
was being built, you could hear the crashing sound of the
demolition drill hard at work. Silhouettes of a few soldiers
could be seen, watching the winding path of our march from
above.

Just before getting to the hill, I was overwhelmed as
hundreds of young students who had just been let out of
school flooded into our march to join. They were excited,
eager, and ready to go. It was clear they had done
demonstrations like this before.

It was almost frightening how much energy there was in this
demonstration. People were chanting in Arabic as if their
lives depended on it. The chants in Hebrew were also
refreshing and welcoming from the Anarchists Against the
Wall. They chanted "The occupation is terrorism!" and
"Refuse soldier refuse!"

For about 30 minutes, there was a feeling of sheer victory
in the air. We managed to force the demolition vehicles to
retreat a few hundred meters, and everyone was cheering
madly. That was until the driver emerged from the cab of the
vehicle with a pistol and threatened to shoot at people.
Luckily, he didn't.

Another amazing act of resistance took place when a prayer
session was held directly in front of the soldiers. The
soldiers just looked on as if puzzled, not knowing what to
do or who to point their guns at.

All of the sudden, the army decided it was time for everyone
to leave, and our non-violence tactics were wearing them
thin. Three of us ISM activists were caught, trapped between
a massive Caterpillar wrecking machine and the army.

I was grabbed, and immediately they started hauling me away.
I managed to grab hold of another detained activist, and we
locked our limbs together and went limp. This not-so-cozy
position didn't last for very long, as I was torn away from
him and began to be dragged mercilessly across sharp nettle
thorns and jagged rocks.

At this point, a couple Palestinians and some of the Israeli
anarchists jumped on top of me in a courageous effort to
de-arrest me, but to no avail. After about a minute, I had
bad cuts all over my back, torn clothes, and a broken pair
of glasses. When the soldiers finally had me behind their
jeep and away from the demonstration, one proceeded to hit
me in the head with the butt of his riffle while another
punched me in the face. I get the impression these kids get
a twisted kick out of taking cheap shots at activists.

After standing in the custody of the soldiers for another
minute, they were distracted from me and were worried about
another activist who was taking photos of them.
Picture-taking is very threatening to Israeli soldiers,
because it means that the world might see what they're
doing. Since there weren't any soldiers holding me, I just
decided to walk away, plain and simple. And it worked!

In the end, two ISM activists had been detained (one from
Canada, and one from England), along with five Israelis from
Anarchists Against the Wall (one of whom is being charged
with assaulting an officer). Two Palestinian men were
injured, and one had to be hospitalized after being pushed
roughly to the ground by a soldier. Many were suffering from
the effects of the tear gas and sound bombs that were used.

Unfortunately, this kind of response from the army is
typical for non-violent protests in Palestine. I left the
demonstration with a headache and stinging back from my
beatings, but I have relatively nothing to complain about.
People everywhere in the world are talking about peace for
Palestine, but as long as the occupation forces continue to
expand settlements and settler roads, our non-violent
tactics are meaningless to them. The occupation is the
ultimate violence in Palestine.

--
Dan Clore

Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1587154838/thedanclorenecro
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608











Bill Levinson
2005-02-04 12:43:24 EST


Dan Clore wrote:

> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>
> Kicked around by the Israeli military
> Thursday, 3 February 2005, 10:28 am
> Press Release: International Solidarity Movement
> by Aaron Lakoff Hebron
> Palestine -- February 1, 2005
>
> To view the photos which accompany this story, visit
> http://gallery.cmaq.net/album31
>
> In a country where fear is so ingrained in the culture and many are
> racked with the fright of being attacked at any second, it's strange to
> see what can pass as a security threat.
>
> I am a member of the International Solidarity Movement (ISM). The ISM is

a terrorist-supporting organization as shown by the references at
http://www.omdurman.org/ism.html. While the ISM does not itself practice
violence, it has advocated terroristic violence and given "safe house"
assistance to actual terrorists. It may have helped set up Rachel Corrie
to be killed so Hamas could make propaganda over her death.

If you participate in this organization, you may be encouraged to commit
crimes that are punishable by imprisonment (e.g. entering another
country under false pretenses) or even death (harboring terrorists, an
action for which I believe international law and custom still sanctions
execution during wartime).

Hope this clarifies matters,

Bill


Dan Clore
2005-02-04 13:31:03 EST
Bill Levinson wrote:
> Dan Clore wrote:
>
>> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>>
>> Kicked around by the Israeli military
>> Thursday, 3 February 2005, 10:28 am
>> Press Release: International Solidarity Movement
>> by Aaron Lakoff Hebron
>> Palestine -- February 1, 2005
>>
>> To view the photos which accompany this story, visit
>> http://gallery.cmaq.net/album31
>>
>> In a country where fear is so ingrained in the culture and many are
>> racked with the fright of being attacked at any second, it's strange
>> to see what can pass as a security threat.
>>
>> I am a member of the International Solidarity Movement (ISM). The ISM is
>
> a terrorist-supporting organization as shown by the references at
> http://www.omdurman.org/ism.html. While the ISM does not itself practice
> violence, it has advocated terroristic violence and given "safe house"
> assistance to actual terrorists. It may have helped set up Rachel Corrie
> to be killed so Hamas could make propaganda over her death.
>
> If you participate in this organization, you may be encouraged to commit
> crimes that are punishable by imprisonment (e.g. entering another
> country under false pretenses) or even death (harboring terrorists, an
> action for which I believe international law and custom still sanctions
> execution during wartime).
>
> Hope this clarifies matters,

No, it distorts them into unrecognizability.

--
Dan Clore

My collected fiction, _The Unspeakable and Others_:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1587154838/thedanclorenecro
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo

Strange pleasures are known to him who flaunts the
immarcescible purple of poetry before the color-blind.
-- Clark Ashton Smith, "Epigrams and Apothegms"


Zztop8970
2005-02-04 17:47:00 EST
Dan Clore wrote:
> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>
> Kicked around by the Israeli military
> Thursday, 3 February 2005, 10:28 am
> Press Release: International Solidarity Movement
> by Aaron Lakoff Hebron
> Palestine -- February 1, 2005
>
> To view the photos which accompany this story, visit
> http://gallery.cmaq.net/album31
>
> In a country where fear is so ingrained in the culture and
> many are racked with the fright of being attacked at any
> second, it's strange to see what can pass as a security threat.
>
> I am a member of the International Solidarity Movement
> (ISM). The ISM is a non-violent organization. All members of
> the ISM must abide by its principles at all times.
> Therefore, as logic follows, I am a peaceful activist.

simply put, this is a lie. ISM's co-founder, Adam Shapiro has publicly
states as follows:
"The Palestinian resistance must take on a variety of characteristics -
both violent and non-violent. But more importantly it must develop a
strategy involving both aspects. No successful non-violent was able to
achieve what it did without a concurrent violent movement."


Awake
2005-02-18 01:28:28 EST
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, Bill Levinson <wlevinson@NOSPAM.stentorian.com> wrote:
>Dan Clore wrote:
>
>> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>>
>> Kicked around by the Israeli military
>> Thursday, 3 February 2005, 10:28 am
>> Press Release: International Solidarity Movement
>> by Aaron Lakoff Hebron
>> Palestine -- February 1, 2005
>>
>> To view the photos which accompany this story, visit
>> http://gallery.cmaq.net/album31
>>
>> In a country where fear is so ingrained in the culture and many are
>> racked with the fright of being attacked at any second, it's strange to
>> see what can pass as a security threat.
>>
>> I am a member of the International Solidarity Movement (ISM). The ISM is
>
>a terrorist-supporting organization as shown by the references at
>http://www.omdurman.org/ism.html. While the ISM does not itself practice
>violence, it has advocated terroristic violence and given "safe house"
>assistance to actual terrorists. It may have helped set up Rachel Corrie
>to be killed so Hamas could make propaganda over her death.
>
>If you participate in this organization, you may be encouraged to commit
>crimes that are punishable by imprisonment (e.g. entering another
>country under false pretenses) or even death (harboring terrorists, an
>action for which I believe international law and custom still sanctions
>execution during wartime).
>
>Hope this clarifies matters,
>
>Bill


Yes it certainly does clarify things.

If I ever meet you when I am done with you your own mother
will not recognize you.

If something such as "human shit" exists then you are an
example of it.

- - - -
"In other ways, too, the operative concept of democracy is scarcely concealed.
The lead think-piece in the NY Times on the death of Yasser Arafat opened by
saying, 'The post-Arafat era will be the latest test of a quintessentially American
article of faith: that elections provide legitimacy even to the frailest institutions.'
In the final paragraph, on the continuation page, we read that Washington 'resisted
new national elections among the Palestinians' because Arafat would win and gain
'a fresher mandate', and elections 'might help give credibility and authority to Hamas'
as well. In other words, democracy is fine if the results come out the right way;
otherwise, to the flames." - Noam Chomsky, Z-Magazine, Feb 2005



-=-
This message was sent via two or more anonymous remailing services.










Bill Levinson
2005-02-18 10:35:50 EST


Awake wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, Bill Levinson <wlevinson@NOSPAM.stentorian.com> wrote:
>
>>Dan Clore wrote:
>>
>>
>>>News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>>>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>>>
>>>Kicked around by the Israeli military
>>>Thursday, 3 February 2005, 10:28 am
>>>Press Release: International Solidarity Movement
>>>by Aaron Lakoff Hebron
>>>Palestine -- February 1, 2005
>>>
>>>To view the photos which accompany this story, visit
>>>http://gallery.cmaq.net/album31
>>>
>>>In a country where fear is so ingrained in the culture and many are
>>>racked with the fright of being attacked at any second, it's strange to
>>>see what can pass as a security threat.
>>>
>>>I am a member of the International Solidarity Movement (ISM). The ISM is
>>
>>a terrorist-supporting organization as shown by the references at
>>http://www.omdurman.org/ism.html. While the ISM does not itself practice
>>violence, it has advocated terroristic violence and given "safe house"
>>assistance to actual terrorists. It may have helped set up Rachel Corrie
>>to be killed so Hamas could make propaganda over her death.
>>
>>If you participate in this organization, you may be encouraged to commit
>>crimes that are punishable by imprisonment (e.g. entering another
>>country under false pretenses) or even death (harboring terrorists, an
>>action for which I believe international law and custom still sanctions
>>execution during wartime).
>>
>>Hope this clarifies matters,
>>
>>Bill
>
>
>
> Yes it certainly does clarify things.
>
> If I ever meet you when I am done with you your own mother
> will not recognize you.

Your E-mail was forwarded to your service provider for making a physical
threat (as opposed to the scatalogical insult below). Furthermore, if
you ever try to put your threat of illegal physical violence into
practice, you will end up in a hospital and then in prison.

> If something such as "human shit" exists then you are an
> example of it.

And if you had an argument with what I said, you would have stated it
instead of making physical threats and calling names.

Hope this helps, and good luck with finding a new service provider.

--Bill


AVAguy
2005-02-18 11:58:36 EST

"Bill Levinson" <bill.levinson@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:qXnRd.185$x53.49@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> If I ever meet you when I am done with you your own mother
>> will not recognize you.
>
> Your E-mail was forwarded to your service provider for making a physical
> threat (as opposed to the scatalogical insult below). Furthermore, if you
> ever try to put your threat of illegal physical violence into practice,
> you will end up in a hospital and then in prison.

No, whatever horrible violence he commits on you and your family, he will be
OK because i'll harbor him from any arrest.



Bill Levinson
2005-02-18 17:13:06 EST


AVAguy wrote:

> "Bill Levinson" <bill.levinson@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> news:qXnRd.185$x53.49@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
>>>If I ever meet you when I am done with you your own mother
>>>will not recognize you.
>>
>>Your E-mail was forwarded to your service provider for making a physical
>>threat (as opposed to the scatalogical insult below). Furthermore, if you
>>ever try to put your threat of illegal physical violence into practice,
>>you will end up in a hospital and then in prison.
>
>
> No, whatever horrible violence he commits on you and your family, he will be
> OK because i'll harbor him from any arrest.

PLONK!


AVAguy
2005-02-18 23:30:47 EST

"Bill Levinson" <bill.levinson@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:SLtRd.3273$x53.1852@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
>
> AVAguy wrote:
>
>> "Bill Levinson" <bill.levinson@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> news:qXnRd.185$x53.49@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>
>>>>If I ever meet you when I am done with you your own mother
>>>>will not recognize you.
>>>
>>>Your E-mail was forwarded to your service provider for making a physical
>>>threat (as opposed to the scatalogical insult below). Furthermore, if you
>>>ever try to put your threat of illegal physical violence into practice,
>>>you will end up in a hospital and then in prison.
>>
>>
>> No, whatever horrible violence he commits on you and your family, he will
>> be OK because i'll harbor him from any arrest.
>
> PLONK!
>

Oh I guess you didn't like a taste of your own medicine, but you can't blame
me for harboring someone who commits terror on you or your loved ones to
prove a point can you? You yourself claim to harbor terrorists and agree to
let others harbor those who do terror on innocent people to get a point
across. I guess you would be a hypocrite to say that it would be wrong of
me to protect a man who harms you or your family just because I believe what
he is doing is making the world a better place.

I personally do not commit any violence against anyone, but if anyone were
to cause violence to Bill Levinson or his family I would gladly harbor you
because that would be true justice.

Aloha


Page: 1   (First | Last)


2021 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron