Activism Discussion: NEXT TIME IT'LL BE TAR AND FEATHERS, SARGE

NEXT TIME IT'LL BE TAR AND FEATHERS, SARGE

Nomen Nescio
2005-02-15 21:50:03 EST
Friday, February 4, 2005

Anti-war group targets on-campus military recruiters

By JAKE ELLISON
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

A mob of Seattle Central Community College students chased military
recruiters off campus last month, after a tense confrontation. Now a student
anti-war group is stepping up efforts to keep them out for good.

Students Against War has launched a petition drive aimed at persuading
administrators to order a halt to on-campus military recruiting.

AP
Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Due, right, a U.S. Army recruiter, is surrounded by
protesters at Seattle Central Community College on Jan. 20.
The group points to a November ruling by the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of
Appeals. The Philadelphia-based court held that a college opposed to the
policy barring gays and lesbians in the armed forces has a First Amendment
right to protest by blocking access to military recruiters.

Central students opposed to the war in Iraq have been fighting the presence
of military recruiters all year. The group organized a protest to coincide
with President Bush's inauguration Jan. 20, but it started sooner than
scheduled when several hundred students surrounded two Army recruiters.

The students hurled insults and water bottles, according to witnesses,
forcing the recruiters to flee under the protection of campus security
officers. There were no reports of injuries.

Administrators initially threatened to take disciplinary action against
Students Against War, which denied any responsibility for the incident.

Yesterday, however, officials backed off their demand that the group
apologize to the recruiters or be stripped of their affiliation with the
college.

Central President Mildred Ollee said she dropped the ultimatum after
discovering that members of other student groups were involved in the
confrontation.

"I'm not prepared to go on a witch hunt," she said. "We did the best we
could do in this, and I believe the students have learned something and
we're going to move forward."

Leaders of the anti-war group told a small crowd of students yesterday that
they intend to press for the military recruiting ban.

"We do not want the military in our schools asking our friends and family to
fight for a war that is wrong," Nicole Thomas said. "We want recruiters out
of our schools."

The incident was captured in a newspaper photograph that has made its way
into conservative Web blogs. That spurred a wave of e-mails to Central
administrators denouncing the conduct of the students.

One of the recruiters involved in the confrontation, Sgt. Jeffrey Due, said
he was stunned how quickly things got out of hand. "I was in outright shock
that they were protesting me," he said.

Due had been warned about the student walk-out demonstration, but said he
didn't expect that kind of trouble. "They were all going by making off-hand
comments and saying 'no war.' We just waved at them," Due said. "Five
minutes later, there was just a mob of 500 people surrounding the table."

Due said he was hit in the head with newspapers, and water bottles whizzed
by, pounding the vending machine and wall behind him.

The flap has energized Central's anti-war effort, sparking the petition
drive. The group's goal is to get recruiters off campus "by legal means,"
said spokesman Gerald Lisi.

He argued that the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy is in conflict
with the college's code barring discrimination on campus. While petitions
circulate, the group is consulting with attorneys and researching the issue.

But Ollee pointed to a government rule that allows federal money to be
withheld from any college that refuses to give military recruiters access to
students and student-contact information.

"I am under the law and will comply with the law as long as it is the law,"
she said.

Redc1c4
2005-02-16 01:52:35 EST
Nomen Nescio wrote:

(histrionics sniped)

ya sure about that? ya sound mighty violent for a peacenik, and all
the more so for someone who isn't even there....... it's easy as hell
talk shit when you don't have to back it up.

story of your life no doubt. another all talk, no action punk.

redc1c4,
(you never heard about the drug dealers in Tacoma and the 75th, eh?)
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide

Joel Edge
2005-02-16 06:15:38 EST
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:50:03 -0500, Nomen Nescio wrote
(in article <792ef891d56571d7b21723a608197770@dizum.com>):

> [...]
>
> Due said he was hit in the head with newspapers, and water bottles whizzed
> by, pounding the vending machine and wall behind him.
>
> The flap has energized Central's anti-war effort, sparking the petition
> drive. The group's goal is to get recruiters off campus "by legal means,"
> said spokesman Gerald Lisi.
>
> He argued that the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy is in conflict
> with the college's code barring discrimination on campus. While petitions
> circulate, the group is consulting with attorneys and researching the issue.
>
> But Ollee pointed to a government rule that allows federal money to be
> withheld from any college that refuses to give military recruiters access to
> students and student-contact information.
>
> "I am under the law and will comply with the law as long as it is the law,"

Sounds like the hippie-coward culture is making a comeback.

Tank Fixer
2005-02-16 21:27:29 EST
In article <4212EDD6.3BC60A5@drunkenbastards.org.ies>,
on Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:52:35 GMT,
redc1c4 redc1c4@drunkenbastards.org.ies attempted to say .....

> Nomen Nescio wrote:
>
> (histrionics sniped)
>
> ya sure about that? ya sound mighty violent for a peacenik, and all
> the more so for someone who isn't even there....... it's easy as hell
> talk shit when you don't have to back it up.
>
> story of your life no doubt. another all talk, no action punk.

I'm waiting for one of his kind to take a swing at me when I'm out in
public.

> redc1c4,
> (you never heard about the drug dealers in Tacoma and the 75th, eh?)

Now that was a funny one....

--
When dealing with propaganda terminology one sometimes always speaks in
variable absolutes. This is not to be mistaken for an unbiased slant.

Jay T. Beatty
2005-02-17 06:58:19 EST

"Tank Fixer" <paul.deekat.carrier@us.army.mil> wrote in message
> In article <4212EDD6.3BC60A5@drunkenbastards.org.ies>,
> on Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:52:35 GMT,
> redc1c4 redc1c4@drunkenbastards.org.ies attempted to say .....
>
>> Nomen Nescio wrote:
>>
>> (histrionics sniped)
>>
>> ya sure about that? ya sound mighty violent for a peacenik, and all
>> the more so for someone who isn't even there....... it's easy as hell
>> talk shit when you don't have to back it up.
>>
>> story of your life no doubt. another all talk, no action punk.
>
> I'm waiting for one of his kind to take a swing at me when I'm out in
> public.

I happened to me shortly after I got back, I'm told by my friends that
were there that it was funny to watch me beat him with my crutches. I find
it sad that collage kids can be so stupid (should ID these students and take
away their federal grants). It takes a big man to physicaly attack a
wounded soldier on crutches.

>> redc1c4,
>> (you never heard about the drug dealers in Tacoma and the 75th, eh?)
>
> Now that was a funny one....
>
> --
> When dealing with propaganda terminology one sometimes always speaks in
> variable absolutes. This is not to be mistaken for an unbiased slant.

La N.
2005-02-17 08:54:54 EST

"jay t. beatty" <jaybeatty@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Tank Fixer" <paul.deekat.carrier@us.army.mil> wrote in message
> > In article <4212EDD6.3BC60A5@drunkenbastards.org.ies>,
> > on Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:52:35 GMT,
> > redc1c4 redc1c4@drunkenbastards.org.ies attempted to say .....
> >
> >> Nomen Nescio wrote:
> >>
> >> (histrionics sniped)
> >>
> >> ya sure about that? ya sound mighty violent for a peacenik, and all
> >> the more so for someone who isn't even there....... it's easy as hell
> >> talk shit when you don't have to back it up.
> >>
> >> story of your life no doubt. another all talk, no action punk.
> >
> > I'm waiting for one of his kind to take a swing at me when I'm out in
> > public.
> >
> I happened to me shortly after I got back, I'm told by my friends that
> were there that it was funny to watch me beat him with my crutches. I
find
> it sad that collage kids can be so stupid (should ID these students and
take
> away their federal grants). It takes a big man to physicaly attack a
> wounded soldier on crutches.

That sucks. If I witnessed something like that, I'd personally
kick the sh*t out of the punk.

- nilita (once again showing her mean streak when it comes
to defending people she cares about)

Jonque Publick
2005-02-17 10:44:45 EST
"jay t. beatty" <jaybeatty@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> collage
> physicaly

Your posts would be more credible if you'd bother to proofread what you
pound out --

Howard Berkowitz
2005-02-17 11:32:28 EST
In article <co3Rd.41$r%7.9552066@news.sisna.com>, "Jonque Publick"
<*m@nospam.com> wrote:

> "jay t. beatty" <jaybeatty@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > collage
> > physicaly
>
> Your posts would be more credible if you'd bother to proofread what you
> pound out --

Why not collage? Colleges have many groups that stick together.

Daryl Hunt
2005-02-17 17:01:00 EST

"Howard Berkowitz" <hcb@gettcomm.com> wrote in message
> In article <co3Rd.41$r%7.9552066@news.sisna.com>, "Jonque Publick"
> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > "jay t. beatty" <jaybeatty@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > collage
> > > physicaly
> >
> > Your posts would be more credible if you'd bother to proofread what you
> > pound out --
> >

> Why not collage? Colleges have many groups that stick together.

Hate to break it to you, Howard, but the 404thk00ks have all been debunked
and may never have the credibility that they so "Demanded". It was just a
matter of time.

Redc1c4
2005-02-17 17:28:17 EST
Duhryl/Le Turd provided much amusement when he wrote:

> "Howard Berkowitz" <hcb@gettcomm.com> wrote in message
> > In article <co3Rd.41$r%7.9552066@news.sisna.com>, "Jonque Publick"
> > <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "jay t. beatty" <jaybeatty@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> > > Your posts would be more credible if you'd bother to proofread what you
> > > pound out --
> > >

> > Why not collage? Colleges have many groups that stick together.
>
> Hate to break it to you, Howard, but the 404thk00ks have all been debunked
> and may never have the credibility that they so "Demanded". It was just a
> matter of time.

this, coming from the master of "de bunk"....... %-)

even a broken clock is right more often than you have been here.

redc1c4,
sucks to be you, don't it?