Activism Discussion: Let Them Eat Bombs

Let Them Eat Bombs

Dan Clore

Let Them Eat Bombs
The Doubling Of Child Malnutrition In Iraq Is Baffling
By Terry Jones
The Guardian -- UK
4-12-5

A report to the UN human rights commission in Geneva has
concluded that Iraqi children were actually better off under
Saddam Hussein than they are now.

This, of course, comes as a bitter blow for all those of us
who, like George Bush and Tony Blair, honestly believe that
children thrive best when we drop bombs on them from a great
height, destroy their cities and blow up hospitals, schools
and power stations.

It now appears that, far from improving the quality of life
for Iraqi youngsters, the US-led military assault on Iraq
has inexplicably doubled the number of children under five
suffering from malnutrition. Under Saddam, about 4% of
children under five were going hungry, whereas by the end of
last year almost 8% were suffering.

These results are even more disheartening for those of us in
the Department of Making Things Better for Children in the
Middle East By Military Force, since the previous attempts
by Britain and America to improve the lot of Iraqi children
also proved disappointing. For example, the policy of
applying the most draconian sanctions in living memory
totally failed to improve conditions. After they were
imposed in 1990, the number of children under five who died
increased by a factor of six. By 1995 something like half a
million Iraqi children were dead as a result of our efforts
to help them.

A year later, Madeleine Albright, then the US ambassador to
the United Nations, tried to put a brave face on it. When a
TV interviewer remarked that more children had died in Iraq
through sanctions than were killed in Hiroshima, Mrs
Albright famously replied: "We think the price is worth it."

But clearly George Bush didn't. So he hit on the idea of
bombing them instead. And not just bombing, but capturing
and torturing their fathers, humiliating their mothers,
shooting at them from road blocks -- but none of it seems to
do any good. Iraqi children simply refuse to be better
nourished, healthier and less inclined to die. It is truly
baffling.

And this is why we at the department are appealing to you --
the general public -- for ideas. If you can think of any
other military techniques that we have so far failed to
apply to the children of Iraq, please let us know as a
matter of urgency. We assure you that, under our present
leadership, there is no limit to the amount of money we are
prepared to invest in a military solution to the problems of
Iraqi children.

In the UK there may now be 3.6 million children living below
the poverty line, and 12.9 million in the US, with no
prospect of either government finding any cash to change
that. But surely this is a price worth paying, if it means
that George Bush and Tony Blair can make any amount of money
available for bombs, shells and bullets to improve the lives
of Iraqi kids. You know it makes sense.

-- Terry Jones is a film director, actor and Python. He is
the author of Terry Jones's War on the War on Terror

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1457630,00.html

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in
itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or
tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never
entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no
pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce
an interruption of the harmony existing between the two
countries.
-- The Treaty of Tripoli, entered into by the USA under
George Washington

Stan De SD
2005-04-14 00:11:33 EST
"Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message

> It now appears that, far from improving the quality of life
> for Iraqi youngsters, the US-led military assault on Iraq
> has inexplicably doubled the number of children under five
> suffering from malnutrition. Under Saddam, about 4% of
> children under five were going hungry, whereas by the end of
> last year almost 8% were suffering.

Wasn't this the same Manchester Guardian whose left-leaning editorialists
were telling us that all those Iraqi babies were starving to death due to UN
sanctions back in 1998? Funny how the "facts" change to fit the lefties
agenda...

Dan Clore
2005-04-14 00:20:11 EST
Stan de SD wrote:
> "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message

>>It now appears that, far from improving the quality of life
>>for Iraqi youngsters, the US-led military assault on Iraq
>>has inexplicably doubled the number of children under five
>>suffering from malnutrition. Under Saddam, about 4% of
>>children under five were going hungry, whereas by the end of
>>last year almost 8% were suffering.
>
> Wasn't this the same Manchester Guardian whose left-leaning editorialists
> were telling us that all those Iraqi babies were starving to death due to UN
> sanctions back in 1998? Funny how the "facts" change to fit the lefties
> agenda...

As the Terry Jones article said in the next paragraph after
the one quoted: "These results are even more disheartening
for those of us in the Department of Making Things Better
for Children in the Middle East By Military Force, since the
previous attempts by Britain and America to improve the lot
of Iraqi children also proved disappointing. For example,
the policy of applying the most draconian sanctions in
living memory totally failed to improve conditions. After
they were imposed in 1990, the number of children under five
who died increased by a factor of six. By 1995 something
like half a million Iraqi children were dead as a result of
our efforts to help them."

But then Stain's posts regularly reveal that he hasn't read
the material he's responding to.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1587154838/thedanclorenecro/
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

Stan De SD
2005-04-14 00:54:33 EST

> Stan de SD wrote:
> > "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
>
> >>It now appears that, far from improving the quality of life
> >>for Iraqi youngsters, the US-led military assault on Iraq
> >>has inexplicably doubled the number of children under five
> >>suffering from malnutrition. Under Saddam, about 4% of
> >>children under five were going hungry, whereas by the end of
> >>last year almost 8% were suffering.
> >
> > Wasn't this the same Manchester Guardian whose left-leaning
editorialists
> > were telling us that all those Iraqi babies were starving to death due
to UN
> > sanctions back in 1998? Funny how the "facts" change to fit the lefties
> > agenda...
>
> As the Terry Jones article said in the next paragraph after
> the one quoted: "These results are even more disheartening
> for those of us in the Department of Making Things Better
> for Children in the Middle East By Military Force, since the
> previous attempts by Britain and America to improve the lot
> of Iraqi children also proved disappointing. For example,
> the policy of applying the most draconian sanctions in
> living memory totally failed to improve conditions. After
> they were imposed in 1990, the number of children under five
> who died increased by a factor of six. By 1995 something
> like half a million Iraqi children were dead as a result of
> our efforts to help them."
>
> But then Stain's posts regularly reveal that he hasn't read
> the material he's responding to.

So thinks were great in 1990, got worse in 1995, even worse in 1998
allegedly due to the sanctions, but SUDDENLY GOT BETTER IN SPITE OF THE SAME
SANCTIONS some time between 1998-2003, then got worse again?

Nobody believes that crap except for a bunch of hard-core ignorant lefties
such as yourself.

Dan Clore
2005-04-14 01:05:26 EST
Stan de SD wrote:
> "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
>>Stan de SD wrote:
>>>"Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message

>>>Wasn't this the same Manchester Guardian whose left-leaning
> editorialists
>>>were telling us that all those Iraqi babies were starving to death due
> to UN
>>>sanctions back in 1998? Funny how the "facts" change to fit the lefties
>>>agenda...
>>
>>As the Terry Jones article said in the next paragraph after
>>the one quoted: "These results are even more disheartening
>>for those of us in the Department of Making Things Better
>>for Children in the Middle East By Military Force, since the
>>previous attempts by Britain and America to improve the lot
>>of Iraqi children also proved disappointing. For example,
>>the policy of applying the most draconian sanctions in
>>living memory totally failed to improve conditions. After
>>they were imposed in 1990, the number of children under five
>>who died increased by a factor of six. By 1995 something
>>like half a million Iraqi children were dead as a result of
>>our efforts to help them."
>>
>>But then Stain's posts regularly reveal that he hasn't read
>>the material he's responding to.
>
> So thinks were great in 1990, got worse in 1995, even worse in 1998
> allegedly due to the sanctions, but SUDDENLY GOT BETTER IN SPITE OF THE SAME
> SANCTIONS some time between 1998-2003, then got worse again?

Where do you get this idea?

--
Dan Clore

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1587154838/thedanclorenecro/
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

James A. Donald
Dan Clore
> A report to the UN human rights commission in Geneva
> has concluded that Iraqi children were actually better
> off under Saddam Hussein than they are now.

That would be the human rights commission dominated by
Syria and Cuba.

--digsig
James A. Donald
72JGl+DcH6XTfuaorJcUjN3egnPHyTALcnokmVrg
4V8UE0zoF64rR1M0m1CWY2Maryw8naaQ1q0FFmZc3

--
http://www.jim.com

Stan De SD
2005-04-14 03:01:25 EST

> Stan de SD wrote:
> > "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message

> > editorialists
> > to UN
> >>
> >>As the Terry Jones article said in the next paragraph after
> >>the one quoted: "These results are even more disheartening
> >>for those of us in the Department of Making Things Better
> >>for Children in the Middle East By Military Force, since the
> >>previous attempts by Britain and America to improve the lot
> >>of Iraqi children also proved disappointing. For example,
> >>the policy of applying the most draconian sanctions in
> >>living memory totally failed to improve conditions. After
> >>they were imposed in 1990, the number of children under five
> >>who died increased by a factor of six. By 1995 something
> >>like half a million Iraqi children were dead as a result of
> >>our efforts to help them."
> >>
> >>But then Stain's posts regularly reveal that he hasn't read
> >>the material he's responding to.
> >
> > So thinks were great in 1990, got worse in 1995, even worse in 1998
> > allegedly due to the sanctions, but SUDDENLY GOT BETTER IN SPITE OF THE
SAME
> > SANCTIONS some time between 1998-2003, then got worse again?
>
> Where do you get this idea?

Just following from your "logic", Danny Boy...

Dan Clore
2005-04-14 03:24:46 EST
Stan de SD wrote:
> "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
>>Stan de SD wrote:
>>>"Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message

>>>editorialists
>>>to UN

>>>So thinks were great in 1990, got worse in 1995, even worse in 1998
>>>allegedly due to the sanctions, but SUDDENLY GOT BETTER IN SPITE OF THE
> SAME
>>>SANCTIONS some time between 1998-2003, then got worse again?
>>
>>Where do you get this idea?
>
> Just following from your "logic", Danny Boy...

No, it does not, and it looks like you just made it up out
of nothing.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1587154838/thedanclorenecro/
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

M J Carley
2005-04-14 05:35:26 EST
In the referenced article, James A. Donald <jamesd@echeque.com> writes:
> --
>Dan Clore
>> A report to the UN human rights commission in Geneva
>> has concluded that Iraqi children were actually better
>> off under Saddam Hussein than they are now.
>
>That would be the human rights commission dominated by
>Syria and Cuba.

A look at

http://www.ohchr.org/english/bodies/chr/membership.htm

produces the following:

MEMBERSHIP OF THE COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS

(2005)
1. Argentina 2005
2. Armenia 2007
3. Australia 2005
4. Bhutan 2006
5. Brazil 2005
6. Burkina Faso 2005
7. Canada 2007
8. China 2005
9. Congo 2006
10. Costa Rica 2006
11. Cuba 2006
12. Dominican Republic 2006
13. Ecuador 2007
14. Egypt 2006
15. Eritrea 2006
16. Ethiopia 2006
17. Finland 2007
18. France 2007
19. Gabon 2005
20. Germany 2005
21. Guatemala 2006
22. Guinea 2007
23. Honduras 2006
24. Hungary 2006
25. India 2006
26. Indonesia 2006
27. Ireland 2005
28. Italy 2006
29. Japan 2005
30. Kenya 2007
31. Malaysia 2007
32. Mauritania 2006
33. Mexico 2007
34. Nepal 2006
35. Netherlands 2006
36. Nigeria 2006
37. Pakistan 2007
38. Paraguay 2005
39. Peru 2006
40. Qatar 2006
41. Republic of Korea 2007
42. Romania 2007
43. Russian Federation 2006
44. Saudi Arabia 2006
45. South Africa 2006
46. Sri Lanka 2005
47. Sudan 2007
48. Swaziland 2005
49. Togo 2007
50. Ukraine 2005
51. United Kingdom 2006
52. United States of America 2005
53. Zimbabwe 2005

Syria and Cuba look fairly dominant alright.
--
Differenza fra il rivoluzionaro e il cialtrone. Il rivoluzionario
rompe l'orologio e invece di presentarsi alle nove si presenta alle

Mike Combs
2005-04-14 14:02:20 EST
> Let Them Eat Bombs
> The Doubling Of Child Malnutrition In Iraq Is Baffling
> By Terry Jones
>
> Under Saddam, about 4% of
> children under five were going hungry, whereas by the end of
> last year almost 8% were suffering.

To argue that children are worse off immediately after a major war than
immediately before it is not really all that difficult. The real issue is
what will the situation be 5 or 10 years from now.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs