Activism Discussion: Free-Stater Arrested For Manicure

Free-Stater Arrested For Manicure

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)

Dan Clore

*****

http://www.concordmonitor.com.
May 10, 2005
Concord
Man arrested for manicure Free-Stater protesting licensing rules
The Associated Press

A young self-taught manicurist who said he was inspired by
the movie Gandhi manicured without a license outside the
state licensing office yesterday, earning himself a date in
court and a trip to jail.

Michael Fisher had advertised his protest and planned to get
arrested to call attention to what he considers needless
obstacles facing small-time entrepreneurs. Among them, he
counts the requirement to get a license from the state Board
of Barbering, Cosmetology and Esthetics.

"These types of restrictions, anything that gets in the way,
deter or kill businesses," he told the Exeter News-Letter
for a story published Friday. "People who just start a
business just want to do it."

Fisher said he and his wife moved from Burlington, Vt., to
Newmarket last year to start a home-based computer
troubleshooting business.

"It's hard in Vermont to start a business," he told the
paper, which is published three times a week. "In New
Hampshire, it was just a $50 fee and a trade-name registration."

He said licensing laws are well-intentioned, but it took him
only half an hour to learn sanitary manicure procedures on
the Internet. His customer yesterday identified herself as
Kat Dillon of Frost, Texas. Like Fisher, she is a member of
the Free State Project that has chosen New Hampshire, where
it hopes to make itself a political force by having members
move to the state and agitate against taxation, regulation
and infringement of personal liberty. Free Staters favor
minimal government and maximum personal freedom.

Anne Dalton, manicurist member of the state board, said
licensed manicurists must know much more than clipping,
filing and painting nails.

Before qualifying for a license, would-be manicurists in New
Hampshire must log hundreds of hours of hands-on work and
pass written and practical exams on sanitation,
sterilization and skin and nail infections, she said.

Manicurists are trained to identify skin and nail infections
and symptoms of more serious conditions that manifest in the
feet, such as diabetes and heart problems, Dalton said.

"I just shake my head" said Dalton of Fisher's crusade
against licensing. "He's not talking about small business,
he's specifically talking about, 'I don't feel that you need
a license to work on something.'"

She said manicure licensing is common in most, if not all,
states.

Lt. Jay Brown said the Concord police got a call from the
board after inspectors verified that Fisher was performing a
manicure outside their offices.

Fisher would not see a bail commissioner, so he was taken to
the Merrimack County jail pending his arraignment today in
Concord District Court for violating the licensing law, a
misdemeanor.

"It's obviously a statute we don't deal with a lot," Brown said.

*****

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in
itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or
tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never
entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no
pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce
an interruption of the harmony existing between the two
countries.
-- The Treaty of Tripoli, entered into by the USA under
George Washington

Whome?
2005-05-10 11:24:44 EST
Dan Clore wrote:
> [...]
> symptoms of more serious conditions that manifest in the feet, such as
> diabetes and heart problems, Dalton said.
>
> "I just shake my head" said Dalton of Fisher's crusade against
> licensing. "He's not talking about small business, he's specifically
> talking about, 'I don't feel that you need a license to work on
> something.'"
>
> She said manicure licensing is common in most, if not all, states.
>
> Lt. Jay Brown said the Concord police got a call from the board after
> inspectors verified that Fisher was performing a manicure outside their
> offices.
>
> Fisher would not see a bail commissioner, so he was taken to the
> Merrimack County jail pending his arraignment today in Concord District
> Court for violating the licensing law, a misdemeanor.
>
> "It's obviously a statute we don't deal with a lot," Brown said.

Excellent, I hope he gets his day in court and stirs some interest in
putting down the ridiculous licensing laws on non-safety oriented
businesses.

Bert Hyman
2005-05-10 11:31:27 EST
c*e@columbia-center.org (Dan Clore) wrote in

> http://www.concordmonitor.com.
> May 10, 2005
> Concord
> Man arrested for manicure Free-Stater protesting licensing rules
> The Associated Press
>
> A young self-taught manicurist who said he was inspired by
> the movie Gandhi manicured without a license outside the
> state licensing office yesterday, earning himself a date in
> court and a trip to jail.

Nobody's been arrested yet, but there's a similar fight going on here
in St. Paul:

04/27/2005 12:37:07 AM EDT -- St. Paul Pioneer Press

Minnesota license requirements often don't line up with reality

Nothing stirs the soul like a ringing de- fense of the rights of man.
The more high-minded the principle, the more moving; the more grand
the cause, the more noble.

And yet, it is on the ebb and flow of everyday affairs that the tides
of individual freedom rise and fall. Take the case of Lillian
Anderson, a hair braider with no grander cause than to practice her
craft and earn a living.

This is America, right? Where we prize the entrepreneurial spirit?
Yet in order to earn a living with a skill she learned and practiced
for years in her native Cameroon, Anderson must first meet the
demands of the Minnesota Board of Barber and Cosmetologist Examiners.

She must attend 1,550 hours of government-mandated training over 10
months at a tuition cost of $15,000. She must pass a
government-mandated test. Not a single minute of those 1,550 hours
nor a single area of the test relates to natural braiding, twisting
and locking of hair, which is all Anderson does.

Should she elect to practice without a license, she is subject to up
to $1,000 in fines and 90 days in jail plus bearing the stigma of
having broken the law.

On April 20, the Institute for Justice Minnesota Chapter, a public
interest law firm that is representing Anderson and two other
Minnesota braiders, filed suit in Hennepin County District Court
challenging the constitutionality of Minnesota's hair braiding
license requirements.

"Hard-working and industrious individuals like Lillian should be able
to work without having to look over their shoulders or listen for
that dreaded knock on the door from a government regulator," said
Nick Dranias, an attorney with the Minnesota chapter.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com

Michael A. Clem
2005-05-10 13:34:39 EST
Dan Clore wrote:

> http://www.concordmonitor.com.
> May 10, 2005
> Concord
> Man arrested for manicure Free-Stater protesting licensing rules
> The Associated Press

<snip>

> Anne Dalton, manicurist member of the state board, said licensed
> manicurists must know much more than clipping, filing and painting nails.
>
> Before qualifying for a license, would-be manicurists in New Hampshire
> must log hundreds of hours of hands-on work and pass written and
> practical exams on sanitation, sterilization and skin and nail
> infections, she said.
>
> Manicurists are trained to identify skin and nail infections and
> symptoms of more serious conditions that manifest in the feet, such as
> diabetes and heart problems, Dalton said.
>
> "I just shake my head" said Dalton of Fisher's crusade against
> licensing. "He's not talking about small business, he's specifically
> talking about, 'I don't feel that you need a license to work on
> something.'"
>
> She said manicure licensing is common in most, if not all, states.

The customer obviously didn't care that he didn't have a license. So
who are they protecting, again?

Bb Dayorder Doubleplusungood
2005-05-10 23:20:17 EST
"Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote...
> Michael Fisher had advertised his protest and planned to get
> arrested to call attention to what he considers needless
> obstacles facing small-time entrepreneurs. Among them, he
> counts the requirement to get a license from the state Board
> of Barbering, Cosmetology and Esthetics.
>
> "These types of restrictions, anything that gets in the way,
> deter or kill businesses," he told the Exeter News-Letter
> for a story published Friday. "People who just start a
> business just want to do it."

And what's wrong with requiring proper licensing for small businesses?
I'm all for health, sanitation, and safety regulations. And having
lived next to Mexico much of my life and currently living on the
border I can firsthand what lax enforcement of such regulations means.

Mexico is a libertarian's wet dream, underneath its police state
exterior is a freewheeling, largely unregulated economy where even
the few regulations that exist on the books are ignored - either
through lack of resources to enforce or bribery gets the violations
ignored. The sidewalks of every Mexican city are crowded with
vendors who make them unpassable, food vendors whose hygienic
standards are appalling, and any quack who can purchase a lofty
UNAM medical degree can set up shop and write prescreeptions for
painkillers and valium for American turistas. It is fun to visit
but annoying after a while and you do not want something similar
in the U.S. ever.

But my point is that this guy who thinks he has some sort of god-
given right to manicure people's fingernails without a license is
an idiot. The state has every right to ensure proper training in
standard health and safety practices; the guy will be cutting
people's nails and people do have nail fungus which I imagine is
transmissable as well as Hepatitis, HIV, etc. which could easily
be transmitted through the sharp scissors and other metal
instruments if they were not properly sterilized between clients.
This requirement is no more unnecessary, illogical, or onerous
than requiring restaurant workers take a food handlers class and
get the health card permit.

G*rd*n
2005-05-10 23:26:48 EST

"Michael A. Clem" <macsnafuatintergatedotcom>:
> The customer obviously didn't care that he didn't have a license. So
> who are they protecting, again?

The jobs of the people who issue licenses, obviously. And
this indicates a way to solve the problem: have them issue
licenses to issue licenses (to issue licenses, etc.) to one
another.

Bb Dayorder Doubleplusungood
2005-05-10 23:28:50 EST
"Michael A. Clem" <macsnafuatintergatedotcom> wrote...
> The customer obviously didn't care that he didn't have a license. So
> who are they protecting, again?

Across the river in Nuevo Laredo there is a guy who calls himself
"Dr. Dave" and performs plastic surgery at a clinic for a fraction
of the U.S. price. When pressed, "Dr." Dave will admit he's not
a "real" doctor, but he did briefly attend medical school in
Monterrey (a few months) but didn't graduate. The Mexican gov't
doesn't seem to care that an untrained, unlicensed doctor is
performing complex surgery as they allow him to continue operating,
and his patients don't seem to care either. It would be just
terrible if the state were to require him to be licensed, to have
a medical degree, to know the proper sanitation standards (don't
reuse needles), etc. Who would they be protecting?

Maybe poor oppressed Fisher also performs unlicensed anal wart
removal for AIDS patients using the same instruments he then uses
to manicure your pretty little fingernails. I'm sure you don't mind...

Joshua Holmes
2005-05-11 02:14:44 EST
In alt.society.anarchy bb dayorder doubleplusungood <bb@minitrue.gov> wrote:

: And what's wrong with requiring proper licensing for small businesses?

I'm sorry, you posted to the anarchy newsgroup without an official
Anarchy Poster Licence. That will be $50.

--
Joshua Holmes
j*s@force.stwing.upenn.edu

Does a man tell you of sacrifice?
Beware, he intends to make you the bull.

Curly Surmudgeon
2005-05-11 04:50:55 EST
On Wed, 11 May 2005 03:20:17 +0000, bb dayorder doubleplusungood wrote:
---snip irrelevant, argumentative, observations on Mexico---
> But my point is that this guy who thinks he has some sort of god-
> given right to manicure people's fingernails without a license is
> an idiot.

How about the client, don't they have a right to patronize the vendor of
choice?

-- Regards, Curly
http://curlysurmudgeon.com/weird/political

G*rd*n
2005-05-11 09:39:39 EST
"bb dayorder doubleplusungood" <bb@minitrue.gov>:
> Mexico is a libertarian's wet dream, underneath its police state
> exterior is a freewheeling, largely unregulated economy where even
> the few regulations that exist on the books are ignored - either
> through lack of resources to enforce or bribery gets the violations
> ignored. ...

You're contradicting yourself. Either Mexico is a police
state or it's a libertarian's wet dream, but it can't be both
at once unless you have a very odd libertarian doing the
dreaming.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)