Activism Discussion: Abu Ghraib Protest Interrupts Rice Speech

Abu Ghraib Protest Interrupts Rice Speech
Posts: 43

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)

Allen L. Barker
2005-05-28 17:40:29 EST

Abu Ghraib protest interrupts Rice speech
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1379137.htm
May 28, 2005

Demonstrators have interrupted a speech by US Secretary of State
Condoleezza Rice by recreating an image of the Abu Ghraib prison
abuse scandal in which a hooded prisoner was attached to electric
wires.

Amid tight security at San Francisco's Davies Symphony Hall,
three women and one man pulled on black hoods and cloaks and
stood on their seats.

Ms Rice initially continued her speech on American foreign policy
under President George W Bush.

However, she paused when the protesters shouted "Stop the torture.
Stop the killing. US out of Iraq," as police led them out of the
auditorium.

Medea Benjamin, one of the protesters, says they were kept in
police custody for about an hour-and-a-half and then released
with a misdemeanor citation.

"We feel we made our point," said Ms Benjamin, a founding director
of the human rights group Global Exchange.

A military jury convicted a female soldier earlier this month to
six months in prison for abuses at Abu Ghraib, including wiring
the hooded Iraqi prisoner in the photo.

The pictures of the mistreatment, which included sexual
humiliation, badly damaged the international image of the US
military as it struggled to stabilise Iraq after the 2003
invasion.

- Reuters

Stan De SD
2005-06-09 22:29:13 EST
The usual SF Lefty kooks yell and scream like the idiots they are. The fact
that they would be the first ones rounded up and stoned or whipped as
"infidels" if the Islamofascists ever got their way hasn't quite sank into
their thick little skulls. :O(

"Allen L. Barker" <alb@datafilter.com> wrote in message
news:hz5me.2682$MI4.240@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> Abu Ghraib protest interrupts Rice speech
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1379137.htm
> May 28, 2005
>
> Demonstrators have interrupted a speech by US Secretary of State
> Condoleezza Rice by recreating an image of the Abu Ghraib prison
> abuse scandal in which a hooded prisoner was attached to electric
> wires.
>
> Amid tight security at San Francisco's Davies Symphony Hall,
> three women and one man pulled on black hoods and cloaks and
> stood on their seats.
>
> Ms Rice initially continued her speech on American foreign policy
> under President George W Bush.
>
> However, she paused when the protesters shouted "Stop the torture.
> Stop the killing. US out of Iraq," as police led them out of the
> auditorium.
>
> Medea Benjamin, one of the protesters, says they were kept in
> police custody for about an hour-and-a-half and then released
> with a misdemeanor citation.
>
> "We feel we made our point," said Ms Benjamin, a founding director
> of the human rights group Global Exchange.
>
> A military jury convicted a female soldier earlier this month to
> six months in prison for abuses at Abu Ghraib, including wiring
> the hooded Iraqi prisoner in the photo.
>
> The pictures of the mistreatment, which included sexual
> humiliation, badly damaged the international image of the US
> military as it struggled to stabilise Iraq after the 2003
> invasion.
>
> - Reuters



Thomas
2005-06-09 23:00:15 EST
you sound like one of those people who are easily motivated by fear by this
administration. are you feeling safer yet? maybe you are a Christofascist.

"Stan de SD" <standesd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:ZV6qe.1697$hK3.672@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> The usual SF Lefty kooks yell and scream like the idiots they are. The
> fact
> that they would be the first ones rounded up and stoned or whipped as
> "infidels" if the Islamofascists ever got their way hasn't quite sank into
> their thick little skulls. :O(
>
> "Allen L. Barker" <alb@datafilter.com> wrote in message
> news:hz5me.2682$MI4.240@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> Abu Ghraib protest interrupts Rice speech
>> http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1379137.htm
>> May 28, 2005
>>
>> Demonstrators have interrupted a speech by US Secretary of State
>> Condoleezza Rice by recreating an image of the Abu Ghraib prison
>> abuse scandal in which a hooded prisoner was attached to electric
>> wires.
>>
>> Amid tight security at San Francisco's Davies Symphony Hall,
>> three women and one man pulled on black hoods and cloaks and
>> stood on their seats.
>>
>> Ms Rice initially continued her speech on American foreign policy
>> under President George W Bush.
>>
>> However, she paused when the protesters shouted "Stop the torture.
>> Stop the killing. US out of Iraq," as police led them out of the
>> auditorium.
>>
>> Medea Benjamin, one of the protesters, says they were kept in
>> police custody for about an hour-and-a-half and then released
>> with a misdemeanor citation.
>>
>> "We feel we made our point," said Ms Benjamin, a founding director
>> of the human rights group Global Exchange.
>>
>> A military jury convicted a female soldier earlier this month to
>> six months in prison for abuses at Abu Ghraib, including wiring
>> the hooded Iraqi prisoner in the photo.
>>
>> The pictures of the mistreatment, which included sexual
>> humiliation, badly damaged the international image of the US
>> military as it struggled to stabilise Iraq after the 2003
>> invasion.
>>
>> - Reuters
>
>



Stan De SD
2005-06-09 23:36:54 EST

"Thomas" <t.brawley@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:9eCdnRyYw-bfnzTfRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
> you sound like one of those people who are easily motivated by fear by
this
> administration. are you feeling safer yet? maybe you are a Christofascist.

SO you really think that these Islamic militants are a bunch of fun-loving
guys, and that they have nothing to do with beheadings, bombings, and flying
airplanes into buildings?


>
> "Stan de SD" <standesd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:ZV6qe.1697$hK3.672@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> > The usual SF Lefty kooks yell and scream like the idiots they are. The
> > fact
> > that they would be the first ones rounded up and stoned or whipped as
> > "infidels" if the Islamofascists ever got their way hasn't quite sank
into
> > their thick little skulls. :O(
> >
> > "Allen L. Barker" <alb@datafilter.com> wrote in message
> > news:hz5me.2682$MI4.240@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> >>
> >> Abu Ghraib protest interrupts Rice speech
> >> http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1379137.htm
> >> May 28, 2005
> >>
> >> Demonstrators have interrupted a speech by US Secretary of State
> >> Condoleezza Rice by recreating an image of the Abu Ghraib prison
> >> abuse scandal in which a hooded prisoner was attached to electric
> >> wires.
> >>
> >> Amid tight security at San Francisco's Davies Symphony Hall,
> >> three women and one man pulled on black hoods and cloaks and
> >> stood on their seats.
> >>
> >> Ms Rice initially continued her speech on American foreign policy
> >> under President George W Bush.
> >>
> >> However, she paused when the protesters shouted "Stop the torture.
> >> Stop the killing. US out of Iraq," as police led them out of the
> >> auditorium.
> >>
> >> Medea Benjamin, one of the protesters, says they were kept in
> >> police custody for about an hour-and-a-half and then released
> >> with a misdemeanor citation.
> >>
> >> "We feel we made our point," said Ms Benjamin, a founding director
> >> of the human rights group Global Exchange.
> >>
> >> A military jury convicted a female soldier earlier this month to
> >> six months in prison for abuses at Abu Ghraib, including wiring
> >> the hooded Iraqi prisoner in the photo.
> >>
> >> The pictures of the mistreatment, which included sexual
> >> humiliation, badly damaged the international image of the US
> >> military as it struggled to stabilise Iraq after the 2003
> >> invasion.
> >>
> >> - Reuters
> >
> >
>
>



Bill Z.
2005-06-09 23:53:38 EST
"Thomas" <t.brawley@comcast.net> writes:

> you sound like one of those people who are easily motivated by fear by this
> administration. are you feeling safer yet? maybe you are a Christofascist.

Yep - Stan's definitely one - right wing and bigoted (in particular
homophobic, judging from one of his many pet peeves). A bit of a
cowardly lion too, as I recall. :-)

> "Stan de SD" <standesd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:ZV6qe.1697$hK3.672@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> > The usual SF Lefty kooks <snip>
> >
> > "Allen L. Barker" <alb@datafilter.com> wrote in message
> > news:hz5me.2682$MI4.240@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> >>
> >> Abu Ghraib protest interrupts Rice speech
> >> http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1379137.htm
> >> May 28, 2005
> >>
> >> Demonstrators have interrupted a speech by US Secretary of State
> >> Condoleezza Rice by recreating an image of the Abu Ghraib prison
> >> abuse scandal in which a hooded prisoner was attached to electric
> >> wires.

Big deal - you should have seen the job the San Francisco Mime Troupe
did on her in _Veronique of the Mounties_! The scenes of Dick Cheney
making the moves on Condi were priceless, as 'Condi' fended off his
advances while still planning on being on the Cheney/Rice ticket for
2008, and as 'Cheney' came out with a classic quip about Bush: "He
almost lost a rigged election."

Condi used to be the provost at Stanford and should be able to handle
a little street theater. I'm sure she's seen something far more
outrageous.

ATOMIC PUG BLASTER
2005-06-10 10:08:24 EST

"Stan de SD" <standesd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:ZV6qe.1697$hK3.672@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> The usual SF Lefty kooks yell and scream like the idiots they are. The
> fact
> that they would be the first ones rounded up and stoned or whipped as
> "infidels" if the Islamofascists ever got their way hasn't quite sank into
> their thick little skulls. :O(

You just bend over and take a good fucking from the Bush Boys and their
maid.
What hasn't sunk in to a conservative's brain is the idea of "America".


ATOMIC PUG BLASTER
2005-06-10 10:09:08 EST

"Stan de SD" <standesd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:qV7qe.1722$hK3.72@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Thomas" <t.brawley@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:9eCdnRyYw-bfnzTfRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
>> you sound like one of those people who are easily motivated by fear by
> this
>> administration. are you feeling safer yet? maybe you are a
>> Christofascist.
>
> SO you really think that these Islamic militants are a bunch of fun-loving
> guys, and that they have nothing to do with beheadings, bombings, and
> flying
> airplanes into buildings?

Bush's Saudi friends flew planes into buildings, Imbecile.


Stan De SD
2005-06-10 12:52:27 EST

"Bill Z." <nobody@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:m3y89ic1mm.fsf@nospam.pacbell.net...
> "Thomas" <t.brawley@comcast.net> writes:
>
> > you sound like one of those people who are easily motivated by fear by
this
> > administration. are you feeling safer yet? maybe you are a
Christofascist.
>
> Yep - Stan's definitely one - right wing and bigoted (in particular
> homophobic, judging from one of his many pet peeves). A bit of a
> cowardly lion too, as I recall. :-)

Tell me when you want to meet in person to discuss this, Bill.



Branson Hunter
2005-06-10 13:11:56 EST
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 03:53:38 GMT, nobody@nospam.pacbell.net (Bill Z.)
wrote:

>"Thomas" <t.brawley@comcast.net> writes:

>> you sound like one of those people who are easily motivated by fear by this
>> administration. are you feeling safer yet? maybe you are a Christofascist.

>Yep - Stan's definitely one - right wing and bigoted (in particular
>homophobic, judging from one of his many pet peeves). A bit of a
>cowardly lion too, as I recall. :-)

Though at least Stanley's able to discuss these sort of problems with
much more civility than his counterparts -- Jafo, pervert, Omar, et
al.

Branson
In the past our politicians offered us dreams of a better world.
Now they promise to protect us from nightmares

Branson Hunter
2005-06-10 15:33:15 EST
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:52:27 GMT, "Stan de SD"
<*d@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Bill Z." <nobody@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> "Thomas" <t.brawley@comcast.net> writes:
>>
>> > you sound like one of those people who are easily motivated by fear by
>> >this administration. are you feeling safer yet? maybe you are a
>Christofascist.
>>
>> Yep - Stan's definitely one - right wing and bigoted (in particular
>> homophobic, judging from one of his many pet peeves). A bit of a
>> cowardly lion too, as I recall. :-)
>
>Tell me when you want to meet in person to discuss this, Bill.

Now, now... watch the standing hairs on your back and those snarling
teeth. You be bad, Stanley. Mustta just wolfed down a Carl's
bad-burger.

Branson
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and
over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the
propaganda."
-- George W. Bush

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/05/20050524-3.html


Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)


2021 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron