Activism Discussion: Kicked Off Welfare

Kicked Off Welfare

TheGolem
2005-06-02 11:53:52 EST
Many families kicked off welfare assistance report struggling to get
food, shelter, or needed medical care; many are suffering even greater
hardships than before. In a South Carolina study, for example, one in
six former assistance recipients (seventeen percent) were unable to pay
for food after being deprived of welfare; one in four (twenty-nine
percent) were unable to pay their rent; and one in three (thirty-seven
percent) fell behind on utility bills. Significantly fewer (only about
nine percent of the families had experienced these problems when they
were still on welfare. There is plenty of evidence that extreme poverty
is growing more common for American children today, especially those in
working families. The number of children living in families earning
below one-half of the poverty line increased by 400,000 nationwide in
1997, despite supposedly strong economic growth.

There have been already clear signs of increased homelessness across
the United States after the start of the "reform." According to Mary
Ann Gleason, Executive Director of the National Coalition for the
Homeless, "In many cities, easily one in ten families in homeless
shelters say they are there because of welfare cuts." In Los Angeles,
for example, twelve percent of homeless families surveyed attributed
their homelessness directly to benefit cuts. An Atlanta survey found
that nearly one-half (forty-six percent) of the 161 homeless families
with children interviewed in shelters or other facilities for the
homeless had lost welfare benefits in the previous twelve months. A
study in La Crosse Count, Wisconsin, found that the number of children
sleeping in Salvation Army homeless shelters there shot up by fifty
percent. By contrast, the number of single homeless men, a group
largely unaffected by welfare reform, rose by only one percent during
the same period. According to the study, the most significant cause of
near homelessness was having been sanctioned due to welfare reform. 103
A state-fund ed mail survey in Idaho found that eight percent of former
welfare recipients in late 1997 had used emergency shelters. Moreover,
thirty-six percent of former recipients described their housing
situation as "temporary." This study may considerably understate the
instability of families' housing: of the 2,500 surveys mailed, 700 were
returned as "undeliverable" by the postal service. Only 447 were
returned completed by respondents.

See more about this reform which wasn't and was a product of the
Clinton administration - Read the article

http://www.pnews.org/PhpWiki/index.php/ClintonsWelfareReform

(See list archives:
http://www.pnews.org/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/u/pnews/)
http://pnews.org/ (everything links here)

GEM
2005-06-02 12:54:08 EST

"TheGolem" <webmaster@pnews.org> wrote in message
> Many families kicked off welfare assistance report struggling to get
> food, shelter, or needed medical care; many are suffering even greater
> hardships than before. In a South Carolina study, for example, one in
> six former assistance recipients (seventeen percent) were unable to pay
> for food after being deprived of welfare; one in four (twenty-nine
> percent) were unable to pay their rent; and one in three (thirty-seven
> percent) fell behind on utility bills. Significantly fewer (only about
> nine percent of the families had experienced these problems when they
> were still on welfare. There is plenty of evidence that extreme poverty
> is growing more common for American children today, especially those in
> working families. The number of children living in families earning
> below one-half of the poverty line increased by 400,000 nationwide in
> 1997, despite supposedly strong economic growth.

And how exactly did you expect the BushCo Administration to get their All
Volunteer Army, if they don't increase the poverty level in order to force
folks to enlist just to eat and get shelter? It has worked well for every
other tyrant in history, and it'll fill the US Army ranks with willing
cannon fodder too. Folks gotta eat and with the army as the only hiring
entity in town...

GEM

Wm James
2005-06-04 01:18:03 EST
On 2 Jun 2005 08:53:52 -0700, "TheGolem" <webmaster@pnews.org> wrote:

>Many families kicked off welfare assistance report struggling to get
>food, shelter, or needed medical care; many are suffering even greater
>hardships than before.

Boo hoo hoo... So bums find it hard to ween themselves off someone
else's paycheck. Cry me a river. They should have to give back at
least half of everything they make to pay back the taxpayers they
mooched off of while they were bumming.

William R. James

Stan De SD
2005-06-04 11:34:33 EST

"TheGolem" <webmaster@pnews.org> wrote in message

> Many families kicked off welfare assistance report struggling to get
> food, shelter, or needed medical care; many are suffering even greater
> hardships than before.

Perhaps they should try getting jobs...

> There have been already clear signs of increased homelessness across
> the United States after the start of the "reform."

Yeah, right. The media suddenly discovers "alarming rises in homelessness"
during Republican adminstrations but conveninetly forgets about them during
Democratic ones.

Another BO Reeking Maggot Ridden Sandal Wearing Radlib
2005-06-04 12:01:14 EST

"Stan de SD" <standesd@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "TheGolem" <webmaster@pnews.org> wrote in message
>
> > Many families kicked off welfare assistance report struggling to get
> > food, shelter, or needed medical care; many are suffering even greater
> > hardships than before.
>
> Perhaps they should try getting jobs...
>
> > There have been already clear signs of increased homelessness across
> > the United States after the start of the "reform."
>
> Yeah, right. The media suddenly discovers "alarming rises in homelessness"
> during Republican adminstrations but conveninetly forgets about them
during
> Democratic ones.
====================================

Didnt' you know the homeless were all employed under Clinton ? Then whe
Bush became president , all those homeless lost theri jobs as Illegal
Aliens came to town and took them over? ;-)

Nospam
2005-06-04 17:23:22 EST
Stan de SD wrote:

> Perhaps they should try getting jobs...

Maybe, their jobs were moved to China and India, tax free.

Wm James
2005-06-07 22:56:02 EST
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:01:14 -0400, "Another BO Reeking Maggot Ridden
Sandal Wearing Radlib" <Radlib Maggot@ USC @Berkeley.edu> wrote:

>"Stan de SD" <standesd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "TheGolem" <webmaster@pnews.org> wrote in message
>>
>> > Many families kicked off welfare assistance report struggling to get
>> > food, shelter, or needed medical care; many are suffering even greater
>> > hardships than before.
>>
>> Perhaps they should try getting jobs...
>>
>> > There have been already clear signs of increased homelessness across
>> > the United States after the start of the "reform."
>>
>> Yeah, right. The media suddenly discovers "alarming rises in homelessness"
>> during Republican adminstrations but conveninetly forgets about them
>during
>> Democratic ones.
>====================================
>
>Didnt' you know the homeless were all employed under Clinton ? Then whe
>Bush became president , all those homeless lost theri jobs as Illegal
>Aliens came to town and took them over? ;-)

Hey, at least Clinton would give them something to do... if they were
young females. :)

William R. James

Stan De SD
2005-06-08 12:34:33 EST

"Wm James" <wrjames.remove@spamreaper.org> wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:01:14 -0400, "Another BO Reeking Maggot Ridden
> Sandal Wearing Radlib" <Radlib Maggot@ USC @Berkeley.edu> wrote:
>

> >"Stan de SD" <standesd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "TheGolem" <webmaster@pnews.org> wrote in message

> >> Perhaps they should try getting jobs...

> >> Yeah, right. The media suddenly discovers "alarming rises in
homelessness"
> >> during Republican adminstrations but conveninetly forgets about them
> >during
> >> Democratic ones.
> >====================================
> >
> >Didnt' you know the homeless were all employed under Clinton ? Then whe
> >Bush became president , all those homeless lost theri jobs as Illegal
> >Aliens came to town and took them over? ;-)
>
> Hey, at least Clinton would give them something to do... if they were
> young females. :)

Q: What's the best part about dating a homeless girl?
A: You can drop her off anywhere.

Wm James
2005-06-14 00:46:01 EST
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:34:33 GMT, "Stan de SD"
<*d@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Wm James" <wrjames.remove@spamreaper.org> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:01:14 -0400, "Another BO Reeking Maggot Ridden
>> Sandal Wearing Radlib" <Radlib Maggot@ USC @Berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>

>> >"Stan de SD" <standesd@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>greater

>homelessness"
>> >during
>> >====================================
>> >
>> >Didnt' you know the homeless were all employed under Clinton ? Then whe
>> >Bush became president , all those homeless lost theri jobs as Illegal
>> >Aliens came to town and took them over? ;-)
>>
>> Hey, at least Clinton would give them something to do... if they were
>> young females. :)
>
>Q: What's the best part about dating a homeless girl?
>A: You can drop her off anywhere.

ROTFLMAO! :)

William R. James

The PhAnToM
2005-06-14 01:49:28 EST
nospam wrote:
> Stan de SD wrote:
>
> > Perhaps they should try getting jobs...
>
> Maybe, their jobs were moved to China and India, tax free.

The existence of millions of illegal immigrants who are working in this
country completely belies the argument that there are no jobs such that
people _have_ to be on welfare. Every welfare scab who isn't physically
disabled (i.e., able to work) should be deported to Mexico in exchange
for five hard working immigrants, most of whom seem to find jobs under
the table, no problemo.