Activism Discussion: Spain's Ex-PM To Israel: Ignore Europe

Spain's Ex-PM To Israel: Ignore Europe

Stan De SD
2005-06-07 20:08:26 EST
Spain's ex-PM to Israel: Ignore Europe

===========================

Israel need not pay much attention to Europe, which is using its Middle East
policy to separate itself from the US, has a tendency toward appeasement and
is largely pro-Palestinian, former Spanish prime minister Jose Maria Aznar
told The Jerusalem Post Monday.

"Europe likes appeasement very much; this is one of the most important
differences between us and the States," Aznar said in an interview on the
Bar-Ilan University campus. "Europeans don't like any problems. They prefer
appeasement."

The strongly pro-American Aznar, who bucked public sentiment in Spain and
backed US President George W. Bush's war in Iraq, served as prime minister
from 1996-2004. He is currently in the country for Bar-Ilan's jubilee
celebration, at which he will receive an honorary doctorate on Tuesday.

Aznar said Europe had no chance of independently impacting on the situation
in the Middle East and would be wise to work closely with the US.
"Do we Europeans have the capacity to change the situation and influence
this area? The answer is no," he said.

Aznar said that European policy was "not favorable to Israel," and that
different political leaders in Europe used the Middle East question as a way
to establish a different identity from the US.

"In Europe, Israel is not very popular, not only this government, all
governments," he said. "Most Europeans support the Palestinian cause.
Europeans sincerely wish for a peace agreement and support the peace
process, but the reality is that the peace process is closed. At this moment
I think that Europe should work closely with the States, because that is the
only opportunity to change the region."

Asked if Israel should, as a result, pay attention to the US, but not
necessarily to Europe, Aznar succinctly replied: "Certainly." He said that
the French and Dutch rejection of the EU constitution last week provided the
EU a good opportunity to reform its polices and move away from the
isolationist, anti-Americanism that he said defined much of its foreign
policy.

On the Middle East, he said, "The Europeans are of two minds. One is to work
close with the States, and the other is to make many trips here, give many
interviews, come up with many initiatives, but without results. The only
possible way to make something work is to work closely with the US."

Aznar interpreted the French and Dutch rejection of the EU Constitution as
an indication of "a lack of trust of Europeans in the current leadership of
Europe." He said it was also a vote for a closer alliance with the US.

Aznar, whose Popular Party lost the elections in the spring of 2004
following the deadly Madrid train bombings, took a strong position against
Hamas and those voices in Europe calling for a softening of the EU's
position toward it.

"For me Hamas has always been a terrorist group," he said, adding that it is
the Palestinian Authority's responsibility to deal with the organization.

While Aznar, when in office, was considered one of Israel's closest friends
in the EU, Spanish public opinion and the Spanish media are considered by
some in the Foreign Ministry as among the most unfavorable in Europe.

Asked to explain this phenomenon, Aznar said that "the situation is
improving." He attributed the negative image of Israel in Spain to the fact
that the countries did not establish diplomatic ties until 1986.

"It is very difficult to have a good image without diplomatic relations. It
is true in general that the majority of Spain supports the Palestinians, but
this position has changed over the last few years, and is not as strong as
it was," he said.

[...]

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1118024491661

Steve
2005-06-08 02:04:19 EST
Stan de SD wrote:

> Spain's ex-PM to Israel: Ignore Europe
>
> ===========================
>
> Israel need not pay much attention to Europe, which is using its Middle
> East policy to separate itself from the US, has a tendency toward
> appeasement and is largely pro-Palestinian, former Spanish prime minister
> Jose Maria Aznar told The Jerusalem Post Monday.
>
> "Europe likes appeasement very much; this is one of the most important
> differences between us and the States," Aznar said in an interview on the
> Bar-Ilan University campus. "Europeans don't like any problems. They
> prefer appeasement."

No wonder this bozo lost the last election and his government was kicked
out.

He's clearly a Bush-clone idiot.

Stan De SD
2005-06-09 03:07:05 EST

"steve" <steve@ohnomorenewstoread.org.nz> wrote in message
> Stan de SD wrote:
>
> > Spain's ex-PM to Israel: Ignore Europe
> >
> > ===========================
> >
> > Israel need not pay much attention to Europe, which is using its Middle
> > East policy to separate itself from the US, has a tendency toward
> > appeasement and is largely pro-Palestinian, former Spanish prime
minister
> > Jose Maria Aznar told The Jerusalem Post Monday.
> >
> > "Europe likes appeasement very much; this is one of the most important
> > differences between us and the States," Aznar said in an interview on
the
> > Bar-Ilan University campus. "Europeans don't like any problems. They
> > prefer appeasement."
> >

> No wonder this bozo lost the last election and his government was kicked
> out.

He lost the election because the EU-ized Spanish have become feminized and
pussywhipped like the rest of Europe. But then again, when your neighbor has
a chicken for its national bird and a male population that wears bikini
briefs at the beach, it's bound to have a deleterious effect eventually...
:O|

Steve
2005-06-10 02:03:14 EST
Stan de SD wrote:

> "steve" <steve@ohnomorenewstoread.org.nz> wrote in message
>> Stan de SD wrote:
>>
>> > Spain's ex-PM to Israel: Ignore Europe
>> >
>> > ===========================
>> >
>> > Israel need not pay much attention to Europe, which is using its Middle
>> > East policy to separate itself from the US, has a tendency toward
>> > appeasement and is largely pro-Palestinian, former Spanish prime
> minister
>> > Jose Maria Aznar told The Jerusalem Post Monday.
>> >
>> > "Europe likes appeasement very much; this is one of the most important
>> > differences between us and the States," Aznar said in an interview on
> the
>> > Bar-Ilan University campus. "Europeans don't like any problems. They
>> > prefer appeasement."
>> >

>> No wonder this bozo lost the last election and his government was kicked
>> out.
>
> He lost the election because the EU-ized Spanish have become feminized and
> pussywhipped like the rest of Europe.

If you mean they prefer the truth and peace to a war based on lies....then
we are in agreement.

Stan De SD
2005-06-10 19:00:18 EST

> Stan de SD wrote:
>

> > "steve" <steve@ohnomorenewstoread.org.nz> wrote in message

Middle
> > minister

> > the
> >> >

> >> No wonder this bozo lost the last election and his government was
kicked
> >> out.
> >
> > He lost the election because the EU-ized Spanish have become feminized
and
> > pussywhipped like the rest of Europe.
>
> If you mean they prefer the truth and peace to a war based on lies....then
> we are in agreement.

And what "lies" were those?

Steve
2005-06-11 02:35:15 EST
Stan de SD wrote:

> "steve" <steve@ohnomorenewstoread.org.nz> wrote in message
>> Stan de SD wrote:
>>

>> > "steve" <steve@ohnomorenewstoread.org.nz> wrote in message

> Middle
>> > minister

> important
>> > the

> kicked
>> >
>> > He lost the election because the EU-ized Spanish have become feminized
> and
>> > pussywhipped like the rest of Europe.
>>
>> If you mean they prefer the truth and peace to a war based on
>> lies....then we are in agreement.
>
> And what "lies" were those?

The lies Bush used to trick Spain into supporting a bad and unnecessary war.

WMD? Ring any bells yet?

Stan De SD
2005-06-11 12:59:28 EST

> Stan de SD wrote:
>

> > "steve" <steve@ohnomorenewstoread.org.nz> wrote in message

> > Middle

> > important
They

> > kicked

> > and
> >>
> >> If you mean they prefer the truth and peace to a war based on
> >> lies....then we are in agreement.
> >
> > And what "lies" were those?
>
> The lies Bush used to trick Spain into supporting a bad and unnecessary
war.

> WMD? Ring any bells yet?

To lie requires that you knowingly tell something that you know is untrue.
Since Bush basically believed what he was told by the CIA and allied
intelligence forces (as did Clinton, Tony Blair, Kerry, and most of the Dems
as well), he obviously didn't lie. Hope that clears up your ignorance on the
matter...