Activism Discussion: The Smirk Of A Killer

The Smirk Of A Killer

Al953
2005-09-03 10:17:49 EST
The Smirk of a Killer
Ending the Impunity of the Bush White House

By Norman Solomon

09/02/05 "Counterpunch" -- -- The man in the Oval Office is fond of
condemning "killers." But his administration continues to kill with
impunity.

"They can go into Iraq and do this and do that," Martha Madden, former
secretary of the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality, said
Thursday, "but they can't drop some food on Canal Street in New Orleans,
Louisiana, right now? It's just mind-boggling."

The policies are matters of priorities. And the priorities of the Bush White
House are clear. For killing in Iraq, they spare no expense. For protecting
and sustaining life, the cupboards go bare.

The problem is not incompetence. It's inhumanity, cruelty and greed.

Media outlets have popularized some tactical critiques of U.S. military
operations in Iraq. But the administration is competent enough to keep the
military-industrial complex humming. It's good at generating huge profits
for "defense" contractors, oil companies and the like. First things first,
and first things last.

Why shore up levees when the precious money it would take can be better used
for war in Iraq? Why allow National Guard units to remain home when they can
be useful, killing and being killed, in a faraway war based on lies?

And when catastrophe hits people close to home, why should the president
respond with urgency or adequacy if their lives don't figure as truly
important in his political calculus?

It's time to end the impunity of President George W. Bush.

Of course he doesn't pull the triggers, drop the bombs or oversee the
torture himself. And he avoids the dying that he has facilitated in the wake
of the hurricane. White-collar criminals -- in this case, white-collar war
criminals -- rarely get close to their dirtiest work.

Every minute has counted in the wake of the hurricane. While dawdling and
compounding the massive tragedy, Bush wants to shift responsibility. We
should stop and think about why he noisily rattled a big tin cup midway
through the week.

While the death toll rises in New Orleans and criticisms of his inaction
grow more outraged across the country, the man wants us to think about
making a charitable contribution, not taking political action. But George
Bush and Dick Cheney must not be let off the hook.

There is something egregiously obscene about the people in charge of the
U.S. government telling citizens to donate money for a hurricane relief
effort while the administration, from the president on down, has viciously
abdicated its most basic responsibilities.

For the activities it views as really important, like the war on Iraq, the
Bush White House hardly requires private contributions while siphoning off
vast quantities of taxpayer funds. But when the task is to save lives
instead of destroying them, kids are supposed to bust open their piggy
banks.

"True compassion," Martin Luther King Jr. pointed out, "is more than
flinging a coin to a beggar; it comes to see that an edifice which produces
beggars needs restructuring." He accused the federal government of
demonstrating "hostility to the poor" -- appropriating "military funds with
alacrity and generosity" but providing "poverty funds with miserliness."
Four decades later, de facto hostility to the poor remains government
policy, and its results include widespread deaths in New Orleans that could
have been prevented.

Respect must be paid, and justice must be created. The dead cannot be
brought back; the suffering of recent days can't be undone. But it's up to
us to create maximum pressure for a truly adequate rescue effort -- and to
organize effectively while demanding political accountability. That means
depriving Bush, Cheney and their congressional allies of the power they
ruthlessly enjoy. And that means ending their impunity, so that truth has
consequences.

Norman Solomon is the author of the new book "War Made Easy: How Presidents
and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death."

Translate this page

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.
Information Clearing House has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator
of this article nor is Information Clearing House endorsed or sponsored by
the originator.)

Neill
2005-09-03 12:11:00 EST
"al953" <al953@xyz.com> wrote in message
> The Smirk of a Killer
> Ending the Impunity of the Bush White House
>
> By Norman Solomon

If you can do a better job, run for office.

B*@yahoo.com
2005-09-03 14:36:52 EST
No need. If no one ran and the office just sat vacant... leaderless...
we'd be in much better shape than we are with Bush as president. He's
unbelievably bad at everything he does, and has done substantial harm
to America, on top of the disgrace.

Staten
2005-09-04 08:54:12 EST
"al953" <al953@xyz.com> wrote in message
news:ggiSe.7700$ct5.217@fed1read04...> The Smirk of a Killer
> Ending the Impunity of the Bush White House
>
> By Norman Solomon
>
> 09/02/05 "Counterpunch" -- -- The man in the Oval Office is fond of
> condemning "killers." But his administration continues to kill with
> impunity.

Counterpunch? The leading American web magazine supporting most forms of
terror today? Nice choice , Al. I guess Alex Cockburn (editor) , son of a
communist agent and a certified hater of all things American is your true
hero. How about Jane Fonda and Medea Benjamin? Do you love them too? I think
you should . They, like Alex, are also great commie and terrorist admirers.

Al953
2005-09-04 10:10:34 EST

"staten" <staten@lycos.com> wrote in message
> "al953" <al953@xyz.com> wrote in message
> news:ggiSe.7700$ct5.217@fed1read04...> The Smirk of a Killer
>> Ending the Impunity of the Bush White House
>>
>> By Norman Solomon
>>
>> 09/02/05 "Counterpunch" -- -- The man in the Oval Office is fond of
>> condemning "killers." But his administration continues to kill with
>> impunity.
>

> Counterpunch? The leading American web magazine supporting most forms of
> terror today? Nice choice , Al. I guess Alex Cockburn (editor) , son of a
> communist agent and a certified hater of all things American is your true
> hero. How about Jane Fonda and Medea Benjamin? Do you love them too? I
> think you should . They, like Alex, are also great commie and terrorist
> admirers.

People who speak out against Bush are NOT terrorists, you rightard moron!

Al953
2005-09-04 10:21:49 EST

"Neill" <nmlaneyNO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "al953" <al953@xyz.com> wrote in message
>> The Smirk of a Killer
>> Ending the Impunity of the Bush White House
>>
>> By Norman Solomon
>>

> If you can do a better job, run for office.

ANYONE can doa better job than this mentally-challenged ape!

Staten
2005-09-04 13:45:21 EST

al953 wrote:
> "staten" <staten@lycos.com> wrote in message
> > "al953" <al953@xyz.com> wrote in message
> > news:ggiSe.7700$ct5.217@fed1read04...> The Smirk of a Killer
> >> Ending the Impunity of the Bush White House
> >>
> >> By Norman Solomon
> >>
> >> 09/02/05 "Counterpunch" -- -- The man in the Oval Office is fond of
> >> condemning "killers." But his administration continues to kill with
> >> impunity.
> >

> > Counterpunch? The leading American web magazine supporting most forms of
> > terror today? Nice choice , Al. I guess Alex Cockburn (editor) , son of a
> > communist agent and a certified hater of all things American is your true
> > hero. How about Jane Fonda and Medea Benjamin? Do you love them too? I
> > think you should . They, like Alex, are also great commie and terrorist
> > admirers.
> >

> People who speak out against Bush are NOT terrorists, you rightard moron!

No, they don't. They are just supporters of terrorists

Al953
2005-09-04 14:45:57 EST

"staten" <pentrex@mailpuppy.com> wrote in message

> al953 wrote:
>> "staten" <staten@lycos.com> wrote in message
>> > "al953" <al953@xyz.com> wrote in message
>> > news:ggiSe.7700$ct5.217@fed1read04...> The Smirk of a Killer

>> > Counterpunch? The leading American web magazine supporting most forms
>> > of
>> > terror today? Nice choice , Al. I guess Alex Cockburn (editor) , son of
>> > communist agent and a certified hater of all things American is your
>> > true
>> > hero. How about Jane Fonda and Medea Benjamin? Do you love them too? I
>> > think you should . They, like Alex, are also great commie and terrorist
>> > admirers.
>> >

>> People who speak out against Bush are NOT terrorists, you rightard moron!
>

> No, they don't. They are just supporters of terrorists

The most dangerous terrorist today is Bush!

Staten
2005-09-04 19:47:07 EST
> "staten" <pentrex@mailpuppy.com> wrote in message
>>
>> al953 wrote:
>>> "staten" <staten@lycos.com> wrote in message

>>> People who speak out against Bush are NOT terrorists, you rightard
>>> moron!
>>

>> No, they don't. They are just supporters of terrorists
>>

> The most dangerous terrorist today is Bush!

You got it right, Al. All liberal dementia stricken patients in a mental
asylum along with Islamic sadists and barbarians have the same opinion. You
are in a very nice company, Al.

Staten
2005-09-04 20:17:11 EST
<*1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1125772612.632691.70560@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...> No need. If no
one ran and the office just sat vacant... leaderless...
> we'd be in much better shape than we are with Bush as president. He's
> unbelievably bad at everything he does, and has done substantial harm
> to America, on top of the disgrace.

No kidding. This guy even has learned how to create hurricanes, tornadoes,
twisters, tsunami and earthquakes. Can you imagine what this bad guy may
create when Hillary will run for president? Katrina will look like a little
girl frolicking on streets of New York in comparison with this guy's
trickery when Americans will get to the polling booths. .