Activism Discussion: What Disaster Will Next Spring From Bush's Incompetence?

What Disaster Will Next Spring From Bush's Incompetence?

Fuller
2005-09-05 23:53:27 EST
September 4, 2005
Failure on Every Front
Impeach Bush Now, Before More Die
By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS

The raison d'etre of the Bush administration is war in the Middle East
in order to protect America from terrorism and to insure America's oil
supply. On both counts the Bush administration has failed
catastrophically.

Bush's single-minded focus on the "war against terrorism" has
compounded a natural disaster and turned it into the greatest calamity
in American history. The US has lost its largest and most strategic
port, thousands of lives, and 80% of one of America's most historic
cities is under water.

If terrorists had achieved this result, it would rank as the greatest
terrorist success in history.

Prior to 911, the Federal Emergency Management Agency warned that New
Orleans was a disaster waiting to happen. Congress authorized the
Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project (SELA) in order to
protect the strategic port, the refineries, and the large population.

However, after 2003 the flow of funds to SELA were diverted to the war
in Iraq. During 2004 and 2005 the New Orleans Times-Picayune published
nine articles citing New Orleans' loss of hurricane protection to the
war in Iraq.

Every expert and newspapers as distant as Texas saw the New Orleans
catastrophe coming. But President Bush and his insane government
preferred war in Iraq to protecting Americans at home.

Bush's war left the Corps of Engineers only 20% of the funding to
protect New Orleans from flooding from Lake Pontchartrain. On June 18,
2004, the Corps' project manager, Al Naomi, told the Times-Picayune:
"the levees are sinking. If we don't get the money to raise them, we
can't stay ahead of the settlement."

Despite the dire warnings delivered by the 2004 hurricane season, the
Bush administration made deep budget cuts for flood control and
hurricane funding for New Orleans. The US Senate, alarmed at the Bush
administration's insanity, was planning to restore the funding for
2006. But now it is too late. Many multiples of the funding that would
have saved the city now have to be spent to rescue it.

Not content with leaving New Orleans unprotected, it took the Bush
administration five days to get the remnants of the National Guard not
serving in Iraq, along with desperately needed food and water, to
devastated New Orleans. This is the slowest emergency response by the
US government in modern times. By the time the Bush administration
could organize any resources for New Orleans, many more people had
died and the city was in total chaos.

Despite the most dismal performance on record, Bush's Homeland
Security Secretary, Michael Chertoff, said on Thursday that the Bush
administration has done a "magnificent job."

The on-the-scene mayor of New Orleans sees it differently: "They're
feeding the people a line of bull, and they are spinning and people
are dying."

"They're thinking small man, and this is a major, major deal."

It is a major deal, one that will affect Americans far beyond New
Orleans. According to reports, 25% of our oil and gasoline comes
through the New Orleans port and refineries, all out of commission.
Needed goods cannot be imported, and exports will plummet, worsening
an already disastrous deficit in the balance of trade.

The increased cost of gasoline will soak up consumers' disposable
incomes, with dire effects on consumer spending. US economic growth
will be siphoned off into higher energy costs. American lives far from
New Orleans will be adversely affected.

The destruction of New Orleans is the responsibility of the most
incompetent government in American history and perhaps in all history.
Americans are rapidly learning that they were deceived by the
superpower hubris. The powerful US military cannot successfully occupy
Baghdad or control the road to the airport--and this against an
insurgency based in only 20% of the Iraqi population. Bush's pointless
war has left Washington so pressed for money that the federal
government abandoned New Orleans to catastrophe.

The Bush administration is damned by its gross incompetence. Bush has
squandered the lives and health of thousands of people. He has run
through hundreds of billions of borrowed dollars. He has lost
America's reputation and its allies. With barbaric torture and
destruction of our civil liberty, he has stripped America of its
inherent goodness and morality. And now Bush has lost America's
largest port and 25 percent of its oil supply. Why? Because Bush
started a gratuitous war egged on by a claque of crazy
neoconservatives who have sacrificed America's interests to their
insane agenda.

The neoconservatives have brought these disasters to all Americans,
Democrat and Republican alike. Now they must he held accountable. Bush
and his neoconservatives are guilty of criminal negligence and must be
prosecuted.

What will it take for Americans to reestablish accountability in their
government? Bush has got away with lies and an illegal war of
aggression, with outing CIA agents, with war crimes against Iraqi
civilians, with the horrors of the Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo torture
centers, and now with the destruction of New Orleans.

What disaster will next spring from Bush's incompetence?

-----------

Paul Craig Roberts served as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in
the Reagan administration.

Sir Frederick
2005-09-06 00:24:51 EST
Border and civil war.

Florida
2005-09-06 04:31:22 EST

fuller wrote:
> September 4, 2005
> Failure on Every Front
> Impeach Bush Now, Before More Die
> By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
>
> The raison d'etre of the Bush administration is war in the Middle East
> in order to protect America from terrorism and to insure America's oil
> supply. On both counts the Bush administration has failed
> catastrophically.

Again and again this administration demonstrates that political
flunkies can't and won't discharge the duties of their jobs.

Worse, we know now they never had any intention of doing those jobs
except to profit themselves. We know now they never had any intention
of benefitting the majority of Americans, *as they promised to do in
their oaths of office*. They flatly lied.

The Bsh administration has one ugly success: the ongoing tranfer of
the personal and public wealth of the United States from its people to
themselves.
Our money has gone to the Bsh administration and the corporations
which placed them in office.

Paul Craig Roberts is the best possible person to present these
harsh facts. Thanks for an excellent post.

> [...]
> neoconservatives who have sacrificed America's interests to their
> insane agenda.
>
> The neoconservatives have brought these disasters to all Americans,
> Democrat and Republican alike. Now they must he held accountable. Bush
> and his neoconservatives are guilty of criminal negligence and must be
> prosecuted.
>
> What will it take for Americans to reestablish accountability in their
> government? Bush has got away with lies and an illegal war of
> aggression, with outing CIA agents, with war crimes against Iraqi
> civilians, with the horrors of the Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo torture
> centers, and now with the destruction of New Orleans.
>
> What disaster will next spring from Bush's incompetence?
>
> -----------
>
> Paul Craig Roberts served as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in

Bob Adkins
2005-09-06 12:28:37 EST
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:53:27 -0500, fuller <fuller@remoz.net> wrote:

>Impeach Bush Now, Before More Die

Are you saying that GWB angers the disaster God? I thought you people
didn't believe in God.
--
Bob

Jerry Okamura
2005-09-06 15:28:41 EST
Pure silliness. When you have a city below the sea level, you can expect
bad things to happen. Any fault lies with trying to beat mother nature.
Mother nature almost always wins. The flood control system around New
Orleans has been around for an awful long time, to blame one President for
the problem is also pure foolishness. Any President and Congress in the
interim could have spent the money to shored up the dam system. If prior
administrations or Congress' had done that, then they just "might" have
prevented the problem, and this President would not have had to spend a dime
more.

"fuller" <fuller@remoz.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> neoconservatives who have sacrificed America's interests to their
> insane agenda.
>
> The neoconservatives have brought these disasters to all Americans,
> Democrat and Republican alike. Now they must he held accountable. Bush
> and his neoconservatives are guilty of criminal negligence and must be
> prosecuted.
>
> What will it take for Americans to reestablish accountability in their
> government? Bush has got away with lies and an illegal war of
> aggression, with outing CIA agents, with war crimes against Iraqi
> civilians, with the horrors of the Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo torture
> centers, and now with the destruction of New Orleans.
>
> What disaster will next spring from Bush's incompetence?
>
> -----------
>
> Paul Craig Roberts served as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in

L*@nospam.net
2005-09-06 18:34:23 EST
In <brgrh1d5v7d740dbq4241f2c12jro2u29f@4ax.com>, on 09/06/2005
at 11:28 AM, Bob Adkins <bobad@charter.net> said:

>On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:53:27 -0500, fuller <fuller@remoz.net> wrote:

>>Impeach Bush Now, Before More Die

>Are you saying that GWB angers the disaster God? I thought you people
>didn't believe in God.

See your shrink about your black and white thinking. It might save you
from going to hell.

L*@nospam.net
2005-09-06 18:34:27 EST
In <J5mTe.10035$UE2.1062@tornado.socal.rr.com>, on 09/06/2005
at 07:28 PM, "Jerry Okamura" <okamuraj005@hawaii.rr.com> said:

>Pure silliness. When you have a city below the sea level, you can expect
> bad things to happen. Any fault lies with trying to beat mother nature.
> Mother nature almost always wins. The flood control system around New
>Orleans has been around for an awful long time, to blame one President
>for the problem is also pure foolishness. Any President and Congress in
>the interim could have spent the money to shored up the dam system. If
>prior administrations or Congress' had done that, then they just "might"
>have prevented the problem, and this President would not have had to
>spend a dime more.

Stop the whining for bush. He not only did nothing when told of the
problems, he took the money congress appropiated and spent in in iraq --
on a war we didn't need, can't win and get get out of.

> [...]
>> neoconservatives who have sacrificed America's interests to their
>> insane agenda.
>>
>> The neoconservatives have brought these disasters to all Americans,
>> Democrat and Republican alike. Now they must he held accountable. Bush
>> and his neoconservatives are guilty of criminal negligence and must be
>> prosecuted.
>>
>> What will it take for Americans to reestablish accountability in their
>> government? Bush has got away with lies and an illegal war of
>> aggression, with outing CIA agents, with war crimes against Iraqi
>> civilians, with the horrors of the Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo torture
>> centers, and now with the destruction of New Orleans.
>>
>> What disaster will next spring from Bush's incompetence?
>>
>> -----------
>>
>> Paul Craig Roberts served as Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in

E. Bet Anthony
2005-09-07 12:10:38 EST

Not much hope for liberals this ignorant.

S*@yahoo.com
2005-09-07 15:06:01 EST

E. (Bet) Anthony wrote:
> Not much hope for liberals this ignorant.

Well, one of them is your president...

Rick++
2005-09-08 09:44:04 EST
GWB is still trying to dismantle social security and medicare.
Maybe he'll hide these bills under the Katrina and Iraq chaos.