Activism Discussion: OVER 3, 000, 000 NOT EVACUATED From MANDATORY EVACUATION ZONE By Republican Failures

OVER 3, 000, 000 NOT EVACUATED From MANDATORY EVACUATION ZONE By Republican Failures

Bush Grandpa Sold Thyssen Coal To Burn Jews In Auschwitz
2005-09-22 21:20:37 EST
http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/12716552.htm

"This is the worst planning I've ever seen," said Judie Anderson, who
covered just 45 miles in 12 hours after setting out from her home in
the Houston suburb of LaPorte. "They say we've learned a lot from
Hurricane Katrina. Well, you couldn't prove it by me."

The evacuation was a traffic nightmare, with red brakelights streaming
out of Houston and its low-lying suburbs as far as the eye could see.
Highways leading inland out of Houston, a metropolitan area of 4
million people about an hour's drive from the shore, were clogged for
up to 100 miles north of the city.

Drivers ran out of gas in 14-hour traffic jams or looked in vain for a
place to stay as hotels filled up all the way to the Oklahoma and
Arkansas line. Others got tired of waiting in traffic and turned around
and went home.

Service stations reported running out of gasoline...

The last major hurricane to strike the Houston area was Category-3
Alicia in 1983. It flooded downtown Houston, spawned 22 tornadoes and
left 21 people dead.

------------------------
http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/news/nation/12716398.htm

Snarled highways leave Houston-area residents with nowhere to go

But leaving the sprawling Houston metroplex and getting clear of
Hurricane Rita simply wasn't possible for many residents Thursday.

Some didn't have cars. Some had cars but couldn't find gas. Some found
gas but burned it all up while sitting for 12 hours or more on jammed
Interstate 45, the primary evacuation route north from Houston and
Galveston.

"The traffic is terrible. I just saw it on TV," said Geneta Smith, a
67-year-old income tax preparer who had already made up her mind to
stay for now in Baytown, southeast of Houston.

"I'd rather be inside with damage than on the freeway going nowhere,"
Smith said.

BAD REPUBLICAN PLANNING: The evacuation problems sprang from several
factors:

_Houston couldn't begin its evacuation until coastal communities had
cleared out. The three escape routes from Galveston and other coastal
cities in Brazoria County all go through Houston.

_Evacuating Galveston, Brazoria County and low-lying parts of Houston
was taking far longer than authorities expected, in part because plans
didn't fully take into account the population growth since the last
major evacuation 22 years ago. About 4.7 million people live in the
Houston metropolitan area.

_Like New Orleans, Houston does not have enough mass transportation to
move out its poor. Shortages of gas and some communication issues in
immigrant communities also undermined evacuation plans.

GEE, look at the republicans who said they could do better:

* Over TWICE the population of the ENTIRE CITY of New Orleans is NOT
EVACUATED from a coastal city with FOUR DAYS ADVANCE WARNING. More
total area of Houston is in a hurricane flood plain than ALL of the
city of New Orleans. Friggin' blame-gamers red state liars tried to
hide the botch Bush boner by pointing at Nagin-Blanco, but when it's
their turn, with an EXTRA DAY of warning time, look at them fail, fail,
fail.

Whofan
2005-09-22 21:33:39 EST
Bush Grandpa sold Thyssen coal to burn jews in Auschwitz wrote:

> GEE, look at the republicans who said they could do better:
>
> * Over TWICE the population of the ENTIRE CITY of New Orleans is NOT
> EVACUATED from a coastal city with FOUR DAYS ADVANCE WARNING. More
> total area of Houston is in a hurricane flood plain than ALL of the
> city of New Orleans. Friggin' blame-gamers red state liars tried to
> hide the botch Bush boner by pointing at Nagin-Blanco, but when it's
> their turn, with an EXTRA DAY of warning time, look at them fail, fail,
> fail.

Can you wait until the storm hits before you get your democratic panties
all in a twist? So far nothing has failed, failed, failed and so far
there is no catastrophe.

Of course, that will likely change after the storm actually hits and
then you can jump for joy as you'll have something to bash Bush with,
but can you wait at least one more day before you do the blame thing?

Thanks in advance!

Bush Grandpa Sold Thyssen Coal To Burn Jews In Auschwitz
2005-09-22 21:43:38 EST
NO. Repubs had no mercy. They wanted people evacuation three days
ahead, when the strike point was not even known to the weather
forecasters at the National Hurricane Center. They had no mercy dumping
on the governor while the Commander-in-Chief was still on vacation.
They attacked the mayor for incompetence because he failed to move
150,000 people with a bus fleet that could only cary 60,000 (and the
drivers all fled during the "voluntary" phase with their families).

If Nagin is to blame that 150,000 people were not gotten out than
Houston mayor has to answer for over 3,000,000 left behind in Houston.
There is more land in Houston that floods from Hurricanes than ALL of
the city of New Orleans.

If governor Blanco can be pounded for failing to bring schoolbuses from
the hind ends of the state, so can gov Perry in Texas.

Vicious mean and nasty republicans full of hatred were blaming dems for
the EXACT same behaviors, human behaviors, we see now in Texas. Let
them eat their words and enjoy the sh*t sandwich.

Whofan
2005-09-22 21:58:08 EST
Bush Grandpa sold Thyssen coal to burn jews in Auschwitz wrote:

> NO. Repubs had no mercy. They wanted people evacuation three days
> ahead, when the strike point was not even known to the weather
> forecasters at the National Hurricane Center.

Hmmmm....do you know the strike point of Rita yet? Wait another day
or so and then you can jump for joy over the devastation and the chance
to bash Bush.

> They had no mercy dumping
> on the governor while the Commander-in-Chief was still on vacation.
> They attacked the mayor for incompetence because he failed to move
> 150,000 people with a bus fleet that could only cary 60,000 (and the
> drivers all fled during the "voluntary" phase with their families).

So instead of moving the potential 60,000 they instead decided to leave
all of the buses idle???? And if there were no drivers for the buses
then it was a flawed evacuation plan and Nagin/Blanco are clearly
responsible for that oversite.

> If Nagin is to blame that 150,000 people were not gotten out than
> Houston mayor has to answer for over 3,000,000 left behind in Houston.

If there is a scene in Houston like what occured in New Orleans, then
you might very well have a point (although Houston actually utilized
it's buses). But we'll have to wait until the storm hits before we
know the situation. You can do the premature Bush-bash, but it seems
silly blaming someone for something that hasn't happened yet.

> There is more land in Houston that floods from Hurricanes than ALL of
> the city of New Orleans.

Perhaps. Right now it's dry. Hold your horses.

> If governor Blanco can be pounded for failing to bring schoolbuses from
> the hind ends of the state, so can gov Perry in Texas.

The buses were used in Texas. The buses are sitting, destroyed in New
Orleans.

> Vicious mean and nasty republicans full of hatred were blaming dems for
> the EXACT same behaviors, human behaviors, we see now in Texas. Let
> them eat their words and enjoy the sh*t sandwich.

Terrible things happened in New Orleans. ALL levels of govt have some
responsibility. The local guys didn't use the buses. So far there is
no catastrophe in Houston. I realize you're disappointed, but you're
just going to have to wait for the mayhem to actually occur there...then
you'll truly be happy as you'll be able to justify your Bush bash ;^)

Bush Grandpa Sold Thyssen Coal To Burn Jews In Auschwitz
2005-09-22 22:01:19 EST

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/050922/w092276.html

"... Although Houston is 100 kilometres inland, it is a low-lying,
flat, sprawling city whose vast stretches of concrete cover clay soil
that does not easily soak up water. The city is beribboned with seven
bayous that overflow their banks even in a strong thunderstorm. Those
bayous feed into the Ship Channel, Clear Lake and Galveston Bay.

Scientists have warned that the storm surge from a hurricane could
cause the bayous' currents to reverse, pushing water back into the city
and swamping mostly poor, Hispanic neighbourhoods on the southeast side
of Houston. ..."

http://www.leadingthecharge.com/stories/news-0076209.html

No Way Out: Many Poor Stuck in Houston

... In Deer Park, a working-class suburb of refineries south of
Houston, Stacy and Troy Curtis, waited for help outside the police
station. Less than three weeks ago, the couple left New Orleans after
it was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.

But most businesses had shut down because the neighborhood will likely
flood if the hurricane hits Galveston Bay. The streets were empty
Thursday afternoon.

An emergency official eventually sent a van to take the couple to a
shelter at a recreation center.

Monica Holmes, who has debilitating lupus, sat in her car at a Houston
gas station that had no gas. "We can't go nowhere," she said, tapping
a fingernail against the dashboard fuel gauge. "Look here," she said.
"I'm right on E."

Her husband, a security guard, had a paycheck, but no way to cash it.

"We were going to try to go to Nacogdoches" in east Texas, not far from
the Louisiana border, she said. "But even if we could get on the road,
we're not going to get out. These people that left yesterday,
they're still on the beltway. They haven't even got out of
Houston." ...

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/09/21/180014.php
Asking Questions Is Now "Stuck on Stupid"

The right-wingers are all zippy today over this Lt. General Honore
telling the press they are "stuck on stupid" for asking questions about
Hurricane Katrina at a press conference about preparations for
Hurricane Rita.

Basically, "stuck on stupid" seems to mean that asking questions about
humongous disasters in the past and why the response to them was
totally screwed up is completely irrelevant. If you're not looking
forward and forgetting the past, you're "stuck on stupid."

It's fitting that the right wing would love this one, because the M.O.
of the whole right-wing is "don't look at our history of bad policy,
lies and corruption" -- look toward tomorrow when things will
undoubtedly be better, wink, wink. To think that maybe the past is
predictive of the future is to be "stuck on stupid."

I can just see George Bush using this with reporters...

Reporter: "Mr. President, as you yourself have admitted, Hurricane
Katrina exposed the desperate poverty of millions of Americans and our
nation's blind eye to their plight. Is it appropriate to cut taxes for
chubby pinkish rich people at a time when so many are suffering,
especially when the rich have benefited so much from your policies
already?"

Bush: "Well, you're stuck on stupid. Like I've said, we're going to
help those poor people going forward now that we know they're there."

Reporter: "Are you saying you didn't know the poor people were there
and that's why the government has done so little to help them?"

Bush: "Again, you're stuck on stupid. I'm talking about helping those
poor people, not dwelling on how they got poor or our ignorance of them
in the past. We need to look forward here."

Reporter: "But why should the American people believe that you'll have
any interest in poor people when you haven't done anything for them in
the past?"

Bush: "Stuck on stupid. I said we're looking forward, not talking about
the past. I don't know how to make that any more clear. Next question."

Reporter #2: "Mr. President, almost 2,000 American soldiers have now
died in Iraq with no forseeable end to the conflict. When you look back
on your decision to invade and your plans for post-invasion activities,
do you think you would do anything differently?"

Bush: "Y'all are so stuck on stupid I'm not even going to continue."

(Bush wanders away shaking his head.)

Bush Grandpa Sold Thyssen Coal To Burn Jews In Auschwitz
2005-09-22 22:48:31 EST
DESPITE the fact that they have known for a long time that a major
hurricane strike would flood 369 sq. miles, TWICE the size of New
Orleans, and submerge housing for 700,000 persons, the failed
republican leadership of Texas did not bring in schoolbuses from all
parts of the state. Over 3,000,000 people are still left in the strike
zone, 20 times the number left in New Orleans by the democrat governor.
If the dem governor of Louisiana was bad, then the repub gov of Texas
is 20 times worse. And Houston had an EXTRA DAY of warning more than
New Orleans did.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3886764&nav=1TjD

HOUSTON Experts say Hurricane Rita has the potential to flood an area
almost twice the size of New Orleans when it reaches shore.
A 2004 study by the engineering firm Dodson and Associates found that a
Category Five hurricane could inundate 369 square miles of Harris
County, which contains Houston.

The study estimated the total cost of a worst-case storm at 80 (B)
billion dollars -- with 75 percent due to flooding and the rest from
wind damage.

Company president Chris Johnson says you'd be looking at the southeast
quadrant of Houston, from downtown to Galveston Bay, being under water.

That area is home to about 700-thousand people.

Also subject to flooding are Texas City and other centers of chemical
production and petroleum refining.

-----------
http://www.annointed.net/Article938.html

Hurricane Rita model shows 'massive devastation' in Houston, please
pray.

Houston's perfect storm would feed on late summer's warm waters as it
barreled northward across the Gulf of Mexico, slamming into the coast
near Freeport.

A landfall here would allow its powerful upper-right quadrant, where
the waves move in the same direction as the storm, to overflow
Galveston Bay. Within an hour or two, a storm surge, topping out at 20
feet or more, would flood the homes of 600,000 people in Harris County.
The surge also would block the natural drainage of flooded inland
bayous and streams for a day or more.

Coastal residents who ignored warnings to flee would have no hope of
escape as waters swelled and winds roiled around their homes. Very
likely, hundreds, perhaps even thousands, would die.

Meanwhile, as the storm moved over western Harris County, its most
dangerous winds, well in excess of 120 mph even inland, would lash the
Interstate 45 corridor, including Clear Lake, the Texas Medical Center
and downtown.

Many older buildings could not withstand such winds.

Anything not tied down, from trees to mobile homes to light poles,
would become missiles, surreally tumbling and flying through the air,
flattening small houses, shattering skyscraper windows and puncturing
roofs.

"Unfortunately, we're looking at massive devastation," said Roy Dodson,
president of the engineering firm Dodson & Associates, which Harris
County asked to model realistic "worst-case scenarios" for a major
hurricane hitting the area.

Dodson's firm modeled more than 100 storms of varying power, speed and
landfall. It concluded that a large Category 4 or Category 5 -- a storm
only moderately larger than the four that struck Florida last summer --
would cause as much as $40 billion to $50 billion in damage. That's 10
times the cost of Tropical Storm Allison and approximately the city of
Houston's entire budget for the next 15 years.

And this wasn't an academic exercise. Of the 17 Category 4 and Category
5 storms that have struck the United States since 1900, three, all
Category 4 storms, have hit the Greater Houston area -- unnamed storms
in 1900 and 1915 and Carla in 1961.

Whofan
2005-09-22 22:59:54 EST
Bush Grandpa sold Thyssen coal to burn jews in Auschwitz wrote:

> DESPITE the fact that they have known for a long time that a major
> hurricane strike would flood 369 sq. miles, TWICE the size of New
> Orleans, and submerge housing for 700,000 persons, the failed
> republican leadership of Texas did not bring in schoolbuses from all
> parts of the state. Over 3,000,000 people are still left in the strike
> zone, 20 times the number left in New Orleans by the democrat governor.
> If the dem governor of Louisiana was bad, then the repub gov of Texas
> is 20 times worse. And Houston had an EXTRA DAY of warning more than
> New Orleans did.

Demmies are hoping with all their might that there are many, many deaths
in Houston so they'll be able to bash Bush. If the doom and gloom
mentioned above doesn't come to fruition...the silly demmy that posted
it will be VERY depressed.

Psalm 110
2005-09-22 23:16:14 EST
I just want slimy republicans to feel the criticism they dished out.

If it is WRONG for a mayor, any mayor, to leave 150,000 in a floodzone,
like drug addict Rush Limburger stink says, then it must be 20 times
more wrong to leave 3,000,000 in a flood zone that 369 square miles of
Houston with 700,000 population. In case you can't do math, the city of
New Orleans has only 2/3rd the population of the ones that Houston has
in its flood zones, and the Houston floodzones are TWICE the size of
the whole city of New Orleans.

If it was WRONG for the governor of the state, any governor, any state,
to not bring in schoolbuses from the whole state, than it must be 20
times more WRONG to abandon 20 times more people in the floodzones of
Houston.

You see satan-breath liars like the drug addict Rush Limburger stink
claim WRONG is WRONG, so we apply that rule to both republicans and
democrats and look at what we see. There are 3,000,000 people who never
evacuated Houston, 20 times the number who didn't evacuate New Orleans.
With an EXTRA DAY of warning we don't see these red-faced liars doing
near as good as the people of Louisiana.

I don't expect morality from people who harbor traitors like Karl Rove,
who betrayed a CIA agent's cover to a newsman for political revenge
against her husband. No, these chronic liars never admit they made a
mistake, went too far for political purposes smearing a mayor and a
governor who were photographed ON THE JOB, while the Commander-in-Chief
was photographed with John McCain's birthday cake and his thumb up his
azz.

King Amdo
2005-09-23 03:34:15 EST
urrrrr..its slowed down...boring!

Stan De SD
2005-09-23 10:17:40 EST

<bush_auschwitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> NO. Repubs had no mercy. They wanted people evacuation three days
> ahead, when the strike point was not even known to the weather
> forecasters at the National Hurricane Center. They had no mercy dumping
> on the governor while the Commander-in-Chief was still on vacation.
> They attacked the mayor for incompetence because he failed to move
> 150,000 people with a bus fleet that could only cary 60,000 (and the
> drivers all fled during the "voluntary" phase with their families).

Uh, buses can be used more than one time. See, there's this thing called a
steering wheel, and if you just turn in enough, the whole bus can turn
around, go back, and get more.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to educate another idiot such as
yourself...