Activism Discussion: Woman Kicked Off Plane For Anti-Bush Shirt

Woman Kicked Off Plane For Anti-Bush Shirt

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Next  (First | Last)

Dan Clore

ABC News
Wash. Woman Booted Off Plane Over T-Shirt
October 6, 2005

A woman was booted off a Southwest Airlines flight for
wearing a T-shirt that bore an expletive and images of
President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of
State Condoleezza Rice.

Lorrie Heasley of Woodland, Wash., said she plans to press a
civil-rights complaint against the airline over Tuesday's
action at Reno-Tahoe International Airport, halfway through
Heasley's scheduled trip from Los Angeles to Portland, Ore.

"I have cousins in Iraq and other relatives going to war,"
Heasley told the Reno Gazette-Journal. "Here we are trying
to free another country and I have to get off an airplane .
. . over a T-shirt. That's not freedom."

Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Marilee McInnis said several
passengers complained about the shirt.
[An easy problem to solve: tell the whining wannabe-censors
to take a flying leap off the plane.--DC]

Heasley, a 32-year-old lumber saleswoman, said passengers
began complaining after she and her husband, Ron, moved to
the front of the cabin in Reno.

She agreed to cover the words with a sweatshirt, but when
the sweatshirt slipped while she was trying to sleep, she
was ordered to wear her T-shirt inside-out or leave.

She and her husband left. They arrived home in a rental car
Wednesday afternoon.

McInnis said Southwest rules allow the airline to deny
boarding to any passenger whose clothing is "lewd, obscene
or patently offensive."

But Allen Lichtenstein, lawyer for the American Civil
Liberties Union in Las Vegas, said it "might be problematic"
that the airline "changed rules in the middle of a flight."

Heasley said she has been in touch with ACLU lawyers in
Seattle, and wants Southwest to reimburse her for the last
leg of the trip.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in
itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or
tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never
entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no
pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce
an interruption of the harmony existing between the two
countries.
-- The Treaty of Tripoli, entered into by the USA under
George Washington

Duly Appointed Bitchslapper
2005-10-12 15:57:03 EST

"Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>
> ABC News
> Wash. Woman Booted Off Plane Over T-Shirt
> October 6, 2005
>
> A woman was booted off a Southwest Airlines flight for
> wearing a T-shirt that bore an expletive and images of
> President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of
> State Condoleezza Rice.

Good move - Southwest has all sorts of customers: liberals, conservatives,
Democrats, Republicans, Independents, gay, straight, male, female, and even
those who can't make up their mind. Why should they offend their customer
base just to cater to one ill-bred lout?

> Lorrie Heasley of Woodland, Wash., said she plans to press a
> civil-rights complaint against the airline over Tuesday's
> action at Reno-Tahoe International Airport, halfway through
> Heasley's scheduled trip from Los Angeles to Portland, Ore.

There was no "civil-rights violation". Southwast Airlines is a private
company and reserves the right to refuse service to anyone, provided it's
not based on race, ethnicity, or religion. They are under no obligation to
provide any type of forum whatsoever for people's political views.

> Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Marilee McInnis said several
> passengers complained about the shirt.
> [An easy problem to solve: tell the whining wannabe-censors

What SWA did is not censorship. It's clear you have no idea what the word
even means.

> to take a flying leap off the plane.--DC]

Unlike loser like you, Daniel, the people at Southwest work for a living,
and they understand that telling that to their customers is a bad way to
handle complaints. Better and cheaper to get rid of the singular offensive
person than piss off multiple travelers.

> Heasley, a 32-year-old lumber saleswoman, said passengers
> began complaining after she and her husband, Ron, moved to
> the front of the cabin in Reno.
>
> She agreed to cover the words with a sweatshirt, but when
> the sweatshirt slipped while she was trying to sleep, she
> was ordered to wear her T-shirt inside-out or leave.
>
> She and her husband left. They arrived home in a rental car
> Wednesday afternoon.
>
> McInnis said Southwest rules allow the airline to deny
> boarding to any passenger whose clothing is "lewd, obscene
> or patently offensive."

Good business policy.

Whome?
2005-10-12 16:35:04 EST
Duly Appointed Bitchslapper wrote:
> "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
>
>>News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>>
>>ABC News
>>Wash. Woman Booted Off Plane Over T-Shirt
>>October 6, 2005
>>
>>A woman was booted off a Southwest Airlines flight for
>>wearing a T-shirt that bore an expletive and images of
>>President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of
>>State Condoleezza Rice.
>

> Good move - Southwest has all sorts of customers: liberals, conservatives,
> Democrats, Republicans, Independents, gay, straight, male, female, and even
> those who can't make up their mind. Why should they offend their customer
> base just to cater to one ill-bred lout?
>

>>Lorrie Heasley of Woodland, Wash., said she plans to press a
>>civil-rights complaint against the airline over Tuesday's
>>action at Reno-Tahoe International Airport, halfway through
>>Heasley's scheduled trip from Los Angeles to Portland, Ore.
>

> There was no "civil-rights violation". Southwast Airlines is a private
> company and reserves the right to refuse service to anyone, provided it's
> not based on race, ethnicity, or religion. They are under no obligation to
> provide any type of forum whatsoever for people's political views.
>

>>Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Marilee McInnis said several
>>passengers complained about the shirt.
>>[An easy problem to solve: tell the whining wannabe-censors
>

> What SWA did is not censorship. It's clear you have no idea what the word
> even means.
>

>>to take a flying leap off the plane.--DC]
>

> Unlike loser like you, Daniel, the people at Southwest work for a living,
> and they understand that telling that to their customers is a bad way to
> handle complaints. Better and cheaper to get rid of the singular offensive
> person than piss off multiple travelers.
>

>>Heasley, a 32-year-old lumber saleswoman, said passengers
>>began complaining after she and her husband, Ron, moved to
>>the front of the cabin in Reno.
>>
>>She agreed to cover the words with a sweatshirt, but when
>>the sweatshirt slipped while she was trying to sleep, she
>>was ordered to wear her T-shirt inside-out or leave.
>>
>>She and her husband left. They arrived home in a rental car
>>Wednesday afternoon.
>>
>>McInnis said Southwest rules allow the airline to deny
>>boarding to any passenger whose clothing is "lewd, obscene
>>or patently offensive."
>

> Good business policy.

Its a bad one, they lost my business, hopefully they will lose others
based on it.

F*@yahoo.com
2005-10-12 23:40:16 EST
Duly Appointed Bitchslapper wrote:
> What SWA did is not censorship. It's clear you have no idea what the word
> even means.

Us Bizarros thinks good!

Duly Appointed Bitchslapper
2005-10-15 21:19:54 EST

"whome?" <whome@beets.crib.com> wrote in message
> Duly Appointed Bitchslapper wrote:
> > "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
> >
> >>News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> >>
> >>ABC News
> >>Wash. Woman Booted Off Plane Over T-Shirt
> >>October 6, 2005
> >>
> >>A woman was booted off a Southwest Airlines flight for
> >>wearing a T-shirt that bore an expletive and images of
> >>President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of
> >>State Condoleezza Rice.
> >

> > Good move - Southwest has all sorts of customers: liberals,
conservatives,
> > Democrats, Republicans, Independents, gay, straight, male, female, and
even
> > those who can't make up their mind. Why should they offend their
customer
> > base just to cater to one ill-bred lout?
> >

> >>Lorrie Heasley of Woodland, Wash., said she plans to press a
> >>civil-rights complaint against the airline over Tuesday's
> >>action at Reno-Tahoe International Airport, halfway through
> >>Heasley's scheduled trip from Los Angeles to Portland, Ore.
> >

> > There was no "civil-rights violation". Southwast Airlines is a private
> > company and reserves the right to refuse service to anyone, provided
it's
> > not based on race, ethnicity, or religion. They are under no obligation
> > provide any type of forum whatsoever for people's political views.
> >

> >>Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Marilee McInnis said several
> >>passengers complained about the shirt.
> >>[An easy problem to solve: tell the whining wannabe-censors
> >

> > What SWA did is not censorship. It's clear you have no idea what the
word
> > even means.
> >

> >>to take a flying leap off the plane.--DC]
> >

> > Unlike loser like you, Daniel, the people at Southwest work for a
living,
> > and they understand that telling that to their customers is a bad way to

> > handle complaints. Better and cheaper to get rid of the singular
offensive
> > person than piss off multiple travelers.
> >

> >>Heasley, a 32-year-old lumber saleswoman, said passengers
> >>began complaining after she and her husband, Ron, moved to
> >>the front of the cabin in Reno.
> >>
> >>She agreed to cover the words with a sweatshirt, but when
> >>the sweatshirt slipped while she was trying to sleep, she
> >>was ordered to wear her T-shirt inside-out or leave.
> >>
> >>She and her husband left. They arrived home in a rental car
> >>Wednesday afternoon.
> >>
> >>McInnis said Southwest rules allow the airline to deny
> >>boarding to any passenger whose clothing is "lewd, obscene
> >>or patently offensive."
> >
> > Good business policy.
> >
> Its a bad one, they lost my business, hopefully they will lose others
> based on it.

They have my business. There's a time, manner, and place to air your views,
and an F-word on a T-shirt on an airline flight is not one of them. Kudos
for SWA for not caving in to the lefty kook contingency.

>>> Duly Appointed Bitchslapper <<<
finding a need and filling it - one liberal at a time...
"...some jobs are so dirty, you can only send in someone who has the
finely honed hatred of liberals acquired at elite universities to do them.
The devil is an abstraction for normal, decent Americans living in the
red states. By contrast, at the top universities, you come face to face
with the devil every day, and you learn all his little tropes and tricks."
- Ann Coulter

Wm James
2005-10-24 17:26:07 EST
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:35:04 -0400, whome? <whome@beets.crib.com>
wrote:

>Duly Appointed Bitchslapper wrote:
>> "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>>>
>>>ABC News
>>>Wash. Woman Booted Off Plane Over T-Shirt
>>>October 6, 2005
>>>
>>>A woman was booted off a Southwest Airlines flight for
>>>wearing a T-shirt that bore an expletive and images of
>>>President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of
>>>State Condoleezza Rice.
>>

>> Good move - Southwest has all sorts of customers: liberals, conservatives,
>> Democrats, Republicans, Independents, gay, straight, male, female, and even
>> those who can't make up their mind. Why should they offend their customer
>> base just to cater to one ill-bred lout?
>>

>>>Lorrie Heasley of Woodland, Wash., said she plans to press a
>>>civil-rights complaint against the airline over Tuesday's
>>>action at Reno-Tahoe International Airport, halfway through
>>>Heasley's scheduled trip from Los Angeles to Portland, Ore.
>>

>> There was no "civil-rights violation". Southwast Airlines is a private
>> company and reserves the right to refuse service to anyone, provided it's
>> not based on race, ethnicity, or religion. They are under no obligation to
>> provide any type of forum whatsoever for people's political views.
>>

>>>Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Marilee McInnis said several
>>>passengers complained about the shirt.
>>>[An easy problem to solve: tell the whining wannabe-censors
>>

>> What SWA did is not censorship. It's clear you have no idea what the word
>> even means.
>>

>>>to take a flying leap off the plane.--DC]
>>

>> Unlike loser like you, Daniel, the people at Southwest work for a living,
>> and they understand that telling that to their customers is a bad way to
>> handle complaints. Better and cheaper to get rid of the singular offensive
>> person than piss off multiple travelers.
>>

>>>Heasley, a 32-year-old lumber saleswoman, said passengers
>>>began complaining after she and her husband, Ron, moved to
>>>the front of the cabin in Reno.
>>>
>>>She agreed to cover the words with a sweatshirt, but when
>>>the sweatshirt slipped while she was trying to sleep, she
>>>was ordered to wear her T-shirt inside-out or leave.
>>>
>>>She and her husband left. They arrived home in a rental car
>>>Wednesday afternoon.
>>>
>>>McInnis said Southwest rules allow the airline to deny
>>>boarding to any passenger whose clothing is "lewd, obscene
>>>or patently offensive."
>>

>> Good business policy.
>>

>Its a bad one, they lost my business, hopefully they will lose others
>based on it.

They'll likely gain a lot more than they lose over that. There's no
reason what so ever for a business to serve people who haven't evough
common manners to show a little respect for the other patrons.

William R. James

Brique
2005-10-24 17:48:23 EST

Wm James <wrjames.remove@spamreaper.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:35:04 -0400, whome? <whome@beets.crib.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Duly Appointed Bitchslapper wrote:
> >> "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message

> >> Good move - Southwest has all sorts of customers: liberals,
conservatives,
> >> Democrats, Republicans, Independents, gay, straight, male, female, and
even
> >> those who can't make up their mind. Why should they offend their
customer
> >> base just to cater to one ill-bred lout?

> >> There was no "civil-rights violation". Southwast Airlines is a private
> >> company and reserves the right to refuse service to anyone, provided
it's
> >> not based on race, ethnicity, or religion. They are under no obligation
> >> provide any type of forum whatsoever for people's political views.

> >> What SWA did is not censorship. It's clear you have no idea what the
word
> >> even means.

> >> Unlike loser like you, Daniel, the people at Southwest work for a
living,
> >> and they understand that telling that to their customers is a bad way
> >> handle complaints. Better and cheaper to get rid of the singular
offensive
> >> person than piss off multiple travelers.

> >> Good business policy.
> >>

> >Its a bad one, they lost my business, hopefully they will lose others
> >based on it.
>
> They'll likely gain a lot more than they lose over that. There's no
> reason what so ever for a business to serve people who haven't evough
> common manners to show a little respect for the other patrons.
>
> William R. James

I wonder if they will ask priests and nuns to change into civilian clothes
so as not to upset non-christian passengers too? Or Muslims, Sikhs and
Orthodox Jewish men to shave their beards less they upset a passenger with
trichophobia? What of those who find the sound of screaming children on a
flight to be most upsetting and discomforting, particularily when trying to
sleep, should they ban them too? Or sedate them as they board? Drunks,
loud-mouthed sports fans going to or returning from a game, those irritating
people who sit next to you and tell you their life story? Really, when you
get right down to it, maybe we should not let anybody fly, just in case it
upsets somebody or another.

Dan Clore
2005-10-24 21:28:31 EST
Wm James wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:35:04 -0400, whome? <whome@beets.crib.com>
> wrote:
>>Duly Appointed Bitchslapper wrote:

>>>Good business policy.
>>>
>>Its a bad one, they lost my business, hopefully they will lose others
>>based on it.
>
> They'll likely gain a lot more than they lose over that. There's no
> reason what so ever for a business to serve people who haven't evough
> common manners to show a little respect for the other patrons.

Showing "respect", like having other patrons censored or
kicked off the plane?

--
Dan Clore

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1587154838/thedanclorenecro/
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

Wm James
2005-11-01 20:58:07 EST
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:48:23 +0100, "brique" <briquenoir@freeuk.c0m>
wrote:

>Wm James <wrjames.remove@spamreaper.org> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:35:04 -0400, whome? <whome@beets.crib.com>
>> wrote:

>conservatives,
>even
>customer

>it's

>word

>living,
>offensive

>> >Its a bad one, they lost my business, hopefully they will lose others
>> >based on it.
>>
>> They'll likely gain a lot more than they lose over that. There's no
>> reason what so ever for a business to serve people who haven't evough
>> common manners to show a little respect for the other patrons.
>>
>> William R. James
>>

>I wonder if they will ask priests and nuns to change into civilian clothes
>so as not to upset non-christian passengers too? Or Muslims, Sikhs and
>Orthodox Jewish men to shave their beards less they upset a passenger with
>trichophobia? What of those who find the sound of screaming children on a
>flight to be most upsetting and discomforting, particularily when trying to
>sleep, should they ban them too? Or sedate them as they board? Drunks,
>loud-mouthed sports fans going to or returning from a game, those irritating
>people who sit next to you and tell you their life story? Really, when you
>get right down to it, maybe we should not let anybody fly, just in case it
>upsets somebody or another.

"We"??? You own an airline? Or are you like any typical socials and
can't accept anyone exersizing their rights and think government
should regulate all behavior and run all businesses? If yu have a
plane, then you can make the rules regarding who you let fly. So can
anyone else with a plane, or any other business. If you want to let
loud stinking drunks harass patrons of your restraunt, go ahead. The
other patrons are free to take their business elsewhere. Same for an
airline. Start your own without any rules of conduct.

William R. James

Wm James
2005-11-01 21:00:02 EST
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:28:31 -0700, Dan Clore
<*e@columbia-center.org> wrote:

>Wm James wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:35:04 -0400, whome? <whome@beets.crib.com>
>> wrote:

>>>Its a bad one, they lost my business, hopefully they will lose others
>>>based on it.
>>
>> They'll likely gain a lot more than they lose over that. There's no
>> reason what so ever for a business to serve people who haven't evough
>> common manners to show a little respect for the other patrons.
>
>Showing "respect", like having other patrons censored or
>kicked off the plane?

Censor?

Look up words you don't understand before attempting to use them in a
sentence next time.

William R. James

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Next  (First | Last)