Activism Discussion: UN Calls For Reports On U.S. Rights Violations

UN Calls For Reports On U.S. Rights Violations

KB
2005-10-19 12:28:03 EST
Published on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 by OneWorld.net
Stiffed by U.S., UN Asks Groups to Report on U.S. Rights Violations
by Niko Kyriakou

SAN FRANCISCO - In an unprecedented move, a UN committee has asked
human and civil rights groups to submit reports and testify on U.S.
breaches of international law, filling a gap left by the U.S.
government's failure to submit its own report.

The 18-member United Nations Human Rights Committee, which reviews
nations' compliance with the International Covenant on Civil and
Political Rights, began reviewing country reports Monday and will
complete its session on October 24.

But for the third time since ratifying the treaty in 1992, the United
States has failed to submit its five-year report to the committee on
U.S. violations of the treaty.

The treaty, which entered into force in 1976 and has been signed by 155
countries, outlaws torture or degrading treatment, protects
self-determination, and ensures that all people everywhere are treated
within the law.

That's the first part only. See the whole article here:

================
================

"The United Nations is, of course, the forum in which the voice of the
smaller nations can be raised and heard. This is only possible when the
Security Council, with its arbitrary veto, is abolished. It has
outlasted its usefulness and must soon give way to a United Nations
Assembly free of the abuses of power and veto.

"Then will we see the nations acting without restraints imposed by
Great Power veto and financial inducement. Those who call loudest for
democracy in foreign lands are strangely blind to its absence in the
halls of the United Nations.

"Men must come to realize that the people of all the nations are one
and equal, dependent each upon the other. No one nation owns, nor can
rule, the world. No one nation can stand alone against the rest. The
days of empire and dominion are past. Man is on the threshold of a new
understanding of his role on planet Earth. This involves a change in
his relationship to his fellow travellers on the path to wisdom and
true stewardship of the planet's bounty."

excerpted from:
The Brotherhood of Men
http://www.share-international.org/master/ma_oct05.htm

Captain Compassion
2005-10-20 02:36:29 EST
On 19 Oct 2005 09:28:03 -0700, "KB" <know_buddee@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Published on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 by OneWorld.net
>Stiffed by U.S., UN Asks Groups to Report on U.S. Rights Violations
>by Niko Kyriakou
>
>SAN FRANCISCO - In an unprecedented move, a UN committee has asked
>human and civil rights groups to submit reports and testify on U.S.
>breaches of international law, filling a gap left by the U.S.
>government's failure to submit its own report.
>
>The 18-member United Nations Human Rights Committee, which reviews
>nations' compliance with the International Covenant on Civil and
>Political Rights, began reviewing country reports Monday and will
>complete its session on October 24.
>
>But for the third time since ratifying the treaty in 1992, the United
>States has failed to submit its five-year report to the committee on
>U.S. violations of the treaty.

Seems that the US ignores this treaty regardless who's in power.

--
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography" -- Ambrose Bierce

"America is a vast conspiracy to make you happy." -- John Updike

"Long term commitment in relationships is only necessary because it takes
so damn long to raise children. Marriage may well be some kind of trick
to keep the males around beyond sexual satiation." -- Captain Compassion

"Progress is the increasing control of the environment by life.
--Will Durant

Joseph R. Darancette
d*c@NOSPAMverizon.net

RH
2005-10-22 02:13:20 EST
All American tax payers should be required to study the pictures below.
They should also be forced to smell the same smells (of rotten human
flesh) that the Iraqi people and US soldiers have had to smell. This
should be required for as long as they support/tolerate warmongering
criminals in the white house.

WARNING - The picures at the following links are NOT appropriate for
children and people with heart problems. The activities which were
photographed were sought by the horrible people of the Bush regime and
funded by the American taxpaying public.

Robert Fisk
http://snipurl.com/h6tm

Mind Prod:
http://snipurl.com/h6tp

The pictures document some of the crimes that the Bush regime demanded
on behalf of their superiors (some men who already have tens of
millions and hundreds of millions, and some others who already have
thousands of millions can keep sucking at the filthy bloody tits of the
genocidal war machine).

RH

One of the best ways to fight terrorism would be to Impeach & lock up
Bush and his top cronies: It would show the world that justice is not a
game in the USA, and that Americans don't tolerate genocidal
warmongering maniacs who use much deception to justify their invasions
and occupations.

http://www.ImpeachBush.org

------------
Please join others who are awake on Nov 2nd -
Mass resistance to the Bush insanity
http://www.WorldCantwait.org

Mark Fox
2005-10-22 02:31:47 EST

RH wrote:
> All American tax payers should be required to study the pictures below.
> They should also be forced to smell the same smells (of rotten human
> flesh) that the Iraqi people and US soldiers have had to smell. This
> should be required for as long as they support/tolerate warmongering
> criminals in the white house.

And to think that Saddam could have avoided all this by simply not
invading Kuwait.

Saddam then had a second chance to avoid all this by simply obeying the
surrender treaty he signed.

Its funny, RH, how your revulsion of "warmongering" only applies to the
United States and you completely ignore the "warmongering" waged by the
rest of the world. Is it because you hate America? Yes, it is.

I hope they change the constitution so I can vote for President Bush a
third time.

Gogarty
2005-10-22 10:44:25 EST
In article <1129962707.130625.30530@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
mark_fox_@yahoo.com says...

>RH wrote:
>> All American tax payers should be required to study the pictures below.
>> They should also be forced to smell the same smells (of rotten human
>> flesh) that the Iraqi people and US soldiers have had to smell. This
>> should be required for as long as they support/tolerate warmongering
>> criminals in the white house.
>>

>And to think that Saddam could have avoided all this by simply not
>invading Kuwait.

He was given the green light by Bush I.

>Saddam then had a second chance to avoid all this by simply obeying the
>surrender treaty he signed.

How did he violate it? The US attack on Iraq was not based on any
violations. It was a transparent case of unprovoked aggression by the US.

Wm James
2005-10-27 14:26:03 EST
On 19 Oct 2005 09:28:03 -0700, "KB" <know_buddee@hotmail.com> wrote:

>SAN FRANCISCO - In an unprecedented move, a UN committee has asked
>human and civil rights groups to submit reports and testify on U.S.
>breaches of international law, filling a gap left by the U.S.
>government's failure to submit its own report.
>
>The 18-member United Nations Human Rights Committee, which reviews
>nations' compliance with the International Covenant on Civil and
>Political Rights, began reviewing country reports Monday and will
>complete its session on October 24.

ROTFLMAO! Right! As if the opinions of Cuba, China, Ethiopia,
France, Sudan, Mexico, and Zimbabwe meant something! Who cares what
the UN thinks or wants?

William R. James

B1ackwater
2005-10-27 15:27:50 EST
On 27 Oct 2005 13:26:03 -0500, Wm James
<*e@spamreaper.org> wrote:

>On 19 Oct 2005 09:28:03 -0700, "KB" <know_buddee@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>SAN FRANCISCO - In an unprecedented move, a UN committee has asked
>>human and civil rights groups to submit reports and testify on U.S.
>>breaches of international law, filling a gap left by the U.S.
>>government's failure to submit its own report.
>>
>>The 18-member United Nations Human Rights Committee, which reviews
>>nations' compliance with the International Covenant on Civil and
>>Political Rights, began reviewing country reports Monday and will
>>complete its session on October 24.
>

>ROTFLMAO! Right! As if the opinions of Cuba, China, Ethiopia,
>France, Sudan, Mexico, and Zimbabwe meant something! Who cares what
>the UN thinks or wants?

It's just the anti-America club nowdays. Massive greed,
abuse and corruption worldwide are ignored while even the
slightest flaw with America gets exaggerated. Where was
the UN when Udey Hussein was raping and torturing the
schoolgirls to death ? When Qusay was running his daddys
torture chambers ? When Iran funded suicide bombers in
Palestine ? Not worth their attention it seems. Hell, it
wasn't even very interested in the genocides in Sudan,
Congo or Liberia.

Frankly, we ought to just run the organization out of the
country. Knock down that building and put up a parking
garage. Hosting them just lends credence to their hateful
anti-American rants. Let 'em reconvene in the paradises
of Cuba, Iran or N.Korea if they so desire. Whatever
purposes the UN may have origninally served they are
long obsolete and forgotten. Send it to the garbage-heap
of history like the League of Nations before it.

There's a REASON the "one world" thing sucks ... and
that's because so much of the WORLD is a sucky place
to live. Why ruin our good deal ?

"Wm James" <wrjames.remove@spamreaper.org> wrote in message
> On 19 Oct 2005 09:28:03 -0700, "KB" <know_buddee@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>SAN FRANCISCO - In an unprecedented move, a UN committee has asked
>>human and civil rights groups to submit reports and testify on U.S.
>>breaches of international law, filling a gap left by the U.S.
>>government's failure to submit its own report.
>>
>>The 18-member United Nations Human Rights Committee, which reviews
>>nations' compliance with the International Covenant on Civil and
>>Political Rights, began reviewing country reports Monday and will
>>complete its session on October 24.
>

> ROTFLMAO! Right! As if the opinions of Cuba, China, Ethiopia,
> France, Sudan, Mexico, and Zimbabwe meant something! Who cares what
> the UN thinks or wants?

Because the US imports more than it imports, and can't supply itself with
oil? The US needs the rest of the world more than the rest of the world
needs the US. Hate to break it to you over usenet. ;)

> William R. James

B1ackwater
2005-10-27 17:07:16 EST
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:58:14 GMT, "d" <d@example.com> wrote:

>"Wm James" <wrjames.remove@spamreaper.org> wrote in message
>> On 19 Oct 2005 09:28:03 -0700, "KB" <know_buddee@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>SAN FRANCISCO - In an unprecedented move, a UN committee has asked
>>>human and civil rights groups to submit reports and testify on U.S.
>>>breaches of international law, filling a gap left by the U.S.
>>>government's failure to submit its own report.
>>>
>>>The 18-member United Nations Human Rights Committee, which reviews
>>>nations' compliance with the International Covenant on Civil and
>>>Political Rights, began reviewing country reports Monday and will
>>>complete its session on October 24.
>>

>> ROTFLMAO! Right! As if the opinions of Cuba, China, Ethiopia,
>> France, Sudan, Mexico, and Zimbabwe meant something! Who cares what
>> the UN thinks or wants?
>
>Because the US imports more than it imports, and can't supply itself with
>oil? The US needs the rest of the world more than the rest of the world
>needs the US. Hate to break it to you over usenet. ;)

Hate to break it to you over usenet, but "the rest of the
world" badly needs lots of things the USA produces too.
Trying to cut our throat means cutting their own throats.

Chris.holt
2005-10-27 17:20:07 EST
B1ackwater wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:58:14 GMT, "d" <d@example.com> wrote:

>>Because the US imports more than it imports, and can't supply itself with
>>oil? The US needs the rest of the world more than the rest of the world
>>needs the US. Hate to break it to you over usenet. ;)

> Hate to break it to you over usenet, but "the rest of the
> world" badly needs lots of things the USA produces too.
> Trying to cut our throat means cutting their own throats.

It works both ways. What was that place with the koolaid?
Jonestown?

--

c*t@ncl.ac.uk http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/chris.holt