Dan Clore

Latest anti-war movement finds Baez in fighting form
By Daniel Gewertz
Sunday, October 23, 2005

Joan Baez once changed America's cultural landscape. Martin
Scorcese's recent Bob Dylan documentary film was a stirring
reminder of how this young queen of the folk revival was
among the most influential performers of the early 1960s.

Today, at a youthful 64, Baez says it is the current
cultural landscape that is changing her.

"The whole context in which I do my concerts has been
changed this year by Cindy Sheehan and the (Iraq) war," said
Baez, who is singing more political and traditional folk
songs in concert than at any point since the '60s.

Baez, who performs Tuesday and Wednesday at the Somerville
Theatre, spent time visiting the protestors at "Camp Casey"
near President Bush's Crawford, Texas, ranch, during the
August vigil of Sheehan and her fellow anti-war activists.

"I had intended to go to Camp Casey for a night, and I
stayed for a week," Baez said. "In the evenings, I'd do this
combination of singing and telling stories of the (political
work) I've done. I met with groups of vets and Gold Star
mothers. It was very, very compelling to be there. The talks
would go on every night. One woman spoke of the great relief
it was to speak out. She felt it was like breathing again to
be in a place where people understood her, and didn't
criticize her.

"How," Baez asked, "do you scrape up the courage to say what
those women say. 'My kid died, and for what?' I can't think
of anything more difficult to say."

On Sept. 25, she sang four songs at an anti-war rally in
Washington, D.C.

"For this new tour, I've scaled down the band, and I've felt
the freedom to go back to my roots," she said.

Baez has managed, in the last decade, to remain hip and
contemporary without losing her musical identity. She calls
her new, live CD, "Bowery Songs," recorded in 2004, "a
transitional work."

"I already had it in my head to do more traditional folk
ballads, and have less of a band," she said. "I never
thought I'd sing (Dylan's) 'With God On Our Side' again. It
was a period piece."

In fact, she never stopped singing Dylan songs. In 1965 Baez
included four of them on her "Farewell, Angelina" album,
even though Dylan had just ended their famous love affair,
and even refused to allow Baez onstage with him on his
British tour.

"I just had to separate the issues," she said. "The songs
stand on their own, unlike anything other people have
written. And now they are so appropriate to the times again,
it's extraordinary."

Baez had not spoken much about Dylan in the past 20 years,
but when asked to appear in Scorcese's film, her manager
convinced her that this was the perfect chance to make a
definitive statement about that storied period when Baez,
already a star, introduced Dylan to her audience.

"I've loosened up considerably after doing the film," she
said. "It's a wonderful documentary, a beautiful portrait of
the times. I learned a ton. I didn't know a third of that
stuff!"

Baez admits that the Dylan caught on film was surprisingly
vulnerable, honest and fond-hearted. The moment he
apologized for his bad behavior while in love with Baez
"floored" her.

"And," she noted with a giggle, "when he said my voice was
staggering, I thought that was wonderful."

That voice still is.

Joan Baez, Tuesday and Wednesday at 8 p.m. at the Somerville
Theatre. Tickets are $41. Call 617-625-4088.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in
itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or
tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never
entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no
pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce
an interruption of the harmony existing between the two
countries.
-- The Treaty of Tripoli, entered into by the USA under
George Washington

Duly Appointed Bitchslapper
2005-10-23 03:25:40 EST

"Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>
> Latest anti-war movement finds Baez in fighting form
> By Daniel Gewertz

The 1960s' are over.

Brique
2005-10-23 03:46:43 EST

Duly Appointed Bitchslapper <dab68@aol.com> wrote in message

> "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
> > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> >
> > Latest anti-war movement finds Baez in fighting form
> > By Daniel Gewertz
>
> The 1960s' are over.

But Droning Asshole Buttkissers carry on and on and on and on and on and
on..................

Dan Clore
2005-10-23 04:39:08 EST
Duly Appointed Bitchslapper wrote:
> "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message

>>News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>>
>>Latest anti-war movement finds Baez in fighting form
>>By Daniel Gewertz
>
> The 1960s' are over.

But not the 1950s?

--
Dan Clore

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1587154838/thedanclorenecro/
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

Josh Dougherty
2005-10-23 22:01:50 EST
> Duly Appointed Bitchslapper wrote:
> > "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
>
> >>News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> >>
> >>Latest anti-war movement finds Baez in fighting form
> >>By Daniel Gewertz
> >
> > The 1960s' are over.
>
> But not the 1950s?

Don't you mean 1850s?

G*rd*n
2005-10-23 22:14:18 EST
"Duly Appointed Bitchslapper" <dab68@aol.com>:

> "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
> > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> >
> > Latest anti-war movement finds Baez in fighting form
> > By Daniel Gewertz
>
> The 1960s' are over.

Not until you all rescind the work of the Civil Rights
movement.

Michael Gray
2005-10-24 01:58:42 EST
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:25:40 -0700, "Duly Appointed Bitchslapper"
<*8@aol.com> wrote:

>"Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
>> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
>>
>> Latest anti-war movement finds Baez in fighting form
>> By Daniel Gewertz
>
>The 1960s' are over.

It looks like Vietnam is happening all over...