Activism Discussion: Buy Nothing Day ~ TARGET WAL-MART

Buy Nothing Day ~ TARGET WAL-MART

Shimmy Shammy
2005-11-07 16:52:05 EST
Buy Nothing Day ~ TARGET WAL-MART

The Buy Nothing Day holiday (BND) has caught on somewhat and may very
well be one of the best vehicles we have in terms of getting to a
healthier, happier, saner, sustainable way of life. With that in mind
the following is a collection of ideas about what we can do to make
BND more effective by bringing it to America's largest corporate
retailer known as WalMart. If you are down with these ideas (and want
to make them more effective) please repost and forward this article by
email and/or conventional post.

The day after Thanksgiving...

Show up at your local Wal-Mart, bright and early with your friends,
and start filling carts with the most desired consumer "goods" (small
toys and expensive trinkets are ideal since all this stuff will have
to be re-shelved) -- try not to break anything. If you don's simply
abandon the carts before moving on to the next store, you might
realize that you forgot your wallet after everything has been rung up
(ideally at the busiest hours -- say at 11am and 5pm).
Do not piss in the dressing rooms or leave anti-consumerism agitprop
around the stores. Whatever you do, do not try to monopolize employee
time on the sale floor or on the phone (time is money and employees
are a consumer convenience) and certainly don't bring a stopwatch to
make a game of that activity. Breaking glass or leaving nails in the
parking lot would be going too far. Try to have fun on BND but don't
try to create as much of an inconvenient hassle as is humanly/heavenly
possible. Remember, your not trying to change the world with
collective effort. Don't repeat these activities throughout the
holiday shopping season after the BND holiday and, whatever you do,
don't get caught if you break any of these rules. Take care and have
fun.

www.adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/
www.buynothingday.co.uk/
http://comp.uark.edu/~scummin/psa/walmart.html
www.walmartwatch.com

Roy. Just Roy.
2005-11-07 17:23:19 EST
> Do not piss in the dressing rooms

That WOULD be a change for Wal-mart.

/Roy

Tazmanian Devil
2005-11-07 22:00:39 EST

"Shimmy Shammy" <shimshammaam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Buy Nothing Day ~ TARGET WAL-MART
>
> The Buy Nothing Day holiday (BND) has caught on somewhat and may very
> well be one of the best vehicles we have in terms of getting to a
> healthier, happier, saner, sustainable way of life. With that in mind
> the following is a collection of ideas about what we can do to make
> BND more effective by bringing it to America's largest corporate
> retailer known as WalMart. If you are down with these ideas (and want
> to make them more effective) please repost and forward this article by
> email and/or conventional post.
>
> The day after Thanksgiving...
>
> Show up at your local Wal-Mart, bright and early with your friends,
> and start filling carts with the most desired consumer "goods" (small
> toys and expensive trinkets are ideal since all this stuff will have
> to be re-shelved) -- try not to break anything. If you don's simply
> abandon the carts before moving on to the next store, you might
> realize that you forgot your wallet after everything has been rung up
> (ideally at the busiest hours -- say at 11am and 5pm).
> Do not piss in the dressing rooms

Really, this is all a good idea, but pissing in the dressing rooms isn't
cool.
Some poor slob, already reduced to working at
Walmart (can you get much lower?) will have to clean it up. If we could
piss in the orange juice of the chairman of the board, that would be cool.

or leave anti-consumerism agitprop
> around the stores. Whatever you do, do not try to monopolize employee
> time on the sale floor or on the phone (time is money and employees
> are a consumer convenience) and certainly don't bring a stopwatch to
> make a game of that activity. Breaking glass or leaving nails in the
> parking lot would be going too far. Try to have fun on BND but don't
> try to create as much of an inconvenient hassle as is humanly/heavenly
> possible. Remember, your not trying to change the world with
> collective effort. Don't repeat these activities throughout the
> holiday shopping season after the BND holiday and, whatever you do,
> don't get caught if you break any of these rules. Take care and have
> fun.
>
> www.adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/
> www.buynothingday.co.uk/
> http://comp.uark.edu/~scummin/psa/walmart.html
> www.walmartwatch.com

Ike
2005-11-08 01:58:03 EST

"Shimmy Shammy" <shimshammaam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Buy Nothing Day ~ TARGET WAL-MART

The subject line looks like Target is also a target. I already never shop at
Wal-Mart, and also Giant Foods because when it was taken over Royal Ahold
they have been hiring part-time clerks at low wages to avoid paying
benefits. Quality and sefvice have suffered as a result. Many of their
employees have to accept help from the public sector at the expense of the
taxpayers, as with Wal-Mart..

Shimmy Shammy
2005-11-08 02:59:23 EST
Now that you mention it... the same tactics COULD be used at Target.

Thunderbird
2005-11-08 22:56:41 EST
That has to be the most foolish thing I've heard. Walmart employs
thousands of people here and in other countries giving them jobs and
income they wouldn't otherwise have. Give yourself a re-think and
support business.

Bulba!
2005-11-09 08:50:35 EST
On 8 Nov 2005 19:56:41 -0800, "thunderbird" <netsurf1@coolgoose.com>
wrote:

>That has to be the most foolish thing I've heard. Walmart employs
>thousands of people here and in other countries giving them jobs and
>income they wouldn't otherwise have. Give yourself a re-think and
>support business.

I think the revenues on Walmart on that day will not be very much
different from those on other days. Probably the good old consumer
selfishness will not suffer much of a dent by actions like that.

--
Two years after ''the day America changed forever,'' the culture is
in thrall to the same dopey self-delusion it held on Sept. 10, 2001:

Corollary:
There's a lot of enemies, not just friends we haven't yet
apologized to.

Rico X. Partay
2005-11-09 18:03:02 EST
thunderbird wrote:

> Walmart employs thousands of people here and in other
> countries[,] giving them jobs and income they wouldn't
> otherwise have.

Not entirely correct. If WM wasn't in the market and
exploiting people, other companies would pick up the slack. If
those companies didn't also exploit people, then your
conclusion is incorrect.

Zztop8970
2005-11-09 19:50:22 EST

Rico X. Partay wrote:
> thunderbird wrote:
>
> > Walmart employs thousands of people here and in other
> > countries[,] giving them jobs and income they wouldn't
> > otherwise have.
>

> Not entirely correct. If WM wasn't in the market and
> exploiting people, other companies would pick up the slack.

US unemployment is currently runnign at about 5%, or more than 8
million peopel. Why aren't these "other companies" picking up the slack?

Shimmy Shammy
2005-11-09 20:33:11 EST
You have to remember that Wal-Mart also closed down a lot of US
factories by making deals to get cheap labor from communist nations
like China.