Activism Discussion: FBI Improperly Spied On Peaceful Rallies

FBI Improperly Spied On Peaceful Rallies

Dan Clore

Rocky Mountain News
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4298571,00.html
FBI improperly spied on peaceful rallies, ACLU says
By Karen Abbott, Rocky Mountain News
December 8, 2005

The American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado said it will
release documents today that show FBI agents improperly
spied on peaceful protesters in Colorado Springs in the name
of combating terrorism.

"These documents are further confirmation of our contention
that the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force is wasting
resources and threatening First Amendment rights by equating
nonviolent protest with what it calls domestic terrorism,"
said Mark Silverstein, ACLU legal director in Colorado.

FBI spokeswoman Monique Kelso said the FBI only investigates
or watches people when it has credible information that a
crime may be committed, will be committed or has been committed.

The newly released documents, to be posted on the ACLU's Web
site at http://www.aclu-co.org , were obtained by the
organization through the federal Freedom of Information Act.

They discuss FBI activities involving two protests. One was
in June 2002 at the Broadmoor hotel, where the North
American Wholesale Lumber Association held a three-day
convention. The other was in February 2003 at a Colorado
Springs park and Peterson Air Force Base.

An FBI agent sent a memo to the agency's "counterterrorism"
branch in early June 2002, asking that a case be opened to
investigate possible protests during the lumber convention
as well as other activities preceding it.

"Investigation has revealed that a 'training camp' will take
place in the Pikes Peak National Forest from 6/7-9/2002,"
the agent wrote. "The purpose of the training is to 'learn
nonviolent methods of forest defense,' offering workshops in
climbing, blockades, organizing, security culture, street
theater and banner making."

Said Silverstein: "Nonviolent training has nothing to do
with terrorism."

The FBI agent's memo continued: "Internet traffic indicates
scheduled protest activity beginning on Monday, June 10,
2002, at the City Park, Colorado Springs, Colorado, and
continuing throughout the NAWLA meeting."

In another memo after the NAWLA meeting, an FBI agent wrote
that 30 to 40 individuals participated in protests at the
hotel at any one time and that three people were arrested
for trespassing after they entered the Broadmoor bell tower
to hang a banner from it.

That memo also said: "A copy of the State of Colorado Driver
Record searches are attached."

That's not attached to the recent documents obtained by the
ACLU, but the organization had obtained it earlier through
separate procedures.

Silverstein said it's a three-page list of license plate
numbers on cars parked near the protest, with identities of
the cars' owners.

He said law enforcement officers writing down license plate
numbers easily could include those of people not involved in
the protest.

The license plates and names of protesters who weren't
arrested or even suspected of any crime could be included in
such a list, as could the names of people who weren't even
involved in the protest but merely parked nearby,
Silverstein said.

"Their names and vehicle registration information are now
included in this Joint Terrorism Task Force file," he said.

He said a Colorado Springs police officer sent the list to
the FBI after the protest, with a note indicating an FBI
agent had asked for it.

Kelso said the FBI agent didn't ask for the entire list, but
only for certain numbers and names involved in an ongoing
investigation. She declined to elaborate.

The second protest mentioned in the documents was an
anti-war demonstration in Palmer Park in Colorado Springs on
Feb. 15, 2003.

Days before that, an FBI agent wrote a memo requesting "a
preliminary inquiry" into protest plans of three
organizations: the Revolutionary Anti-War Response, Rocky
Mountain Peace and Justice, and Colorado Campaign for Middle
East Peace.

"Web sites and hyperlinks associated with the 'Mile High
Resistance' an Anti-Global Expansion, Environmentalist
radical movement located in Denver and Boulder, Colorado, is
advertising for an antiwar demonstration," the agent wrote.

"They are hyping the demonstration as the 'biggest peace
rally in the history of Colorado' and are representing the
size of the rally to be 2,000 demonstrators," the agent
wrote. "The organizations are organizing car pools and
hiring buses to transport the demonstrators to Colorado
Springs."

"The two groups are advocating committing what they refer to
(as) 'civil disobedience,' possibly by blocking the
vehicular traffic at (two intersections," the agent wrote.

Kelso said blocking intersections is a type of crime, or
potential crime, to which the FBI should devote attention
because the agency is supposed to protect the rights of
Americans. The blocking of intersections by protest groups
can infringe on the rights of others, she said.

Thousands of demonstrators showed up at two protests, one at
the park and one at nearby Peterson Air Force Base. Police
used tear gas to chase away dozens of people who blocked
nearby intersections. Thirty-four people were arrested for
offenses such as trespassing and failure to disperse.

The protests were part of demonstrations staged nationwide
that day to protest the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

"We want the American people to know that the only time we
will open up an investigation is to protect our citizens
from the credible information that we have gathered, either
through intelligence or through an ongoing investigation,
that a crime may be, will be or has been committed," she said.

Kelso expressed cordiality toward the ACLU.

"The ACLU is doing their due diligence, and they have a job
to do," she said.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
Lord We├┐rdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"Don't just question authority,
Don't forget to question me."
-- Jello Biafra

Eli Gottlieb
2005-12-09 23:28:16 EST
Dan Clore wrote:
> [...]
>
> Thousands of demonstrators showed up at two protests, one at the park
> and one at nearby Peterson Air Force Base. Police used tear gas to chase
> away dozens of people who blocked nearby intersections. Thirty-four
> people were arrested for offenses such as trespassing and failure to
> disperse.
>
> The protests were part of demonstrations staged nationwide that day to
> protest the U.S. invasion of Iraq.
>
> "We want the American people to know that the only time we will open up
> an investigation is to protect our citizens from the credible
> information that we have gathered, either through intelligence or
> through an ongoing investigation, that a crime may be, will be or has
> been committed," she said.
>
> Kelso expressed cordiality toward the ACLU.
>
> "The ACLU is doing their due diligence, and they have a job to do," she

OK, so the FBI is spying on anti-globalization, peace and
environmentalist groups and kept particular records of a "Save the
forests" type protest in Colorado Springs. The police even chased away
people peacefully blocking intersections. I hope I'm not the only one
who saw this coming.

Jim E
2005-12-10 02:03:12 EST

"Eli Gottlieb" <eligottlieb@gmail.com> wrote in message

> OK, so the FBI is spying on anti-globalization, peace and environmentalist
> groups and kept particular records of a "Save the forests" type protest in
> Colorado Springs. The police even chased away people peacefully blocking
> intersections.

Blocking intersections is a crime.
One that will get your ass smeared down the street if you do it in front of
my truck.

Jim E

Brique
2005-12-10 09:26:41 EST

Jim E <YD641387@SEA.net> wrote in message

> "Eli Gottlieb" <eligottlieb@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > OK, so the FBI is spying on anti-globalization, peace and
environmentalist
> > groups and kept particular records of a "Save the forests" type protest
in
> > Colorado Springs. The police even chased away people peacefully
blocking
> > intersections.
>

> Blocking intersections is a crime.
> One that will get your ass smeared down the street if you do it in front
of
> my truck.
>

> Jim E

I see they still don't have an IQ qualification to drive a truck over
there............

Duly Appointed Bitchslapper
2005-12-10 12:57:49 EST

"brique" <briquenoir@freeuk.c0m> wrote in message

> Jim E <YD641387@SEA.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Eli Gottlieb" <eligottlieb@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > OK, so the FBI is spying on anti-globalization, peace and
> environmentalist
> > > groups and kept particular records of a "Save the forests" type
protest
> in
> > > Colorado Springs. The police even chased away people peacefully
> blocking
> > > intersections.
> >

> > Blocking intersections is a crime.
> > One that will get your ass smeared down the street if you do it in front
> of
> > my truck.
> >

> > Jim E
> >

> I see they still don't have an IQ qualification to drive a truck over
> there............

Correction: they don't have one to be in an anti-globalization protest.

Jim E
2005-12-10 16:57:40 EST

"brique" <briquenoir@freeuk.c0m> wrote in message

> Jim E <YD641387@SEA.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Eli Gottlieb" <eligottlieb@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > OK, so the FBI is spying on anti-globalization, peace and
> environmentalist
>> > groups and kept particular records of a "Save the forests" type protest
> in
>> > Colorado Springs. The police even chased away people peacefully
> blocking
>> > intersections.
>>

>> Blocking intersections is a crime.
>> One that will get your ass smeared down the street if you do it in front
> of
>> my truck.
>>

>> Jim E
>>

> I see they still don't have an IQ qualification to drive a truck over
> there............

Standing in the road is a simple IQ test.

You were saying?

Jim E

Brique
2005-12-11 05:04:53 EST

> "brique" <briquenoir@freeuk.c0m> wrote in message
> >
> > Jim E <YD641387@SEA.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Eli Gottlieb" <eligottlieb@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > environmentalist
> > in
> > blocking
> >>

> >> Blocking intersections is a crime.
> >> One that will get your ass smeared down the street if you do it in
front
> > of
> >> my truck.
> >>

> >> Jim E
> >>

> > I see they still don't have an IQ qualification to drive a truck over
> > there............
> >

> Standing in the road is a simple IQ test.
>
> You were saying?

Nothing you would understand....

> Jim E

Eli Gottlieb
2005-12-11 10:10:15 EST
brique wrote:
> Jim E <YD641387@SEA.net> wrote in message
>
>>"brique" <briquenoir@freeuk.c0m> wrote in message
>>
>>>Jim E <YD641387@SEA.net> wrote in message

>>>environmentalist

> protest
>
>>>in

>>>blocking

> front
>
>>>of

>>>I see they still don't have an IQ qualification to drive a truck over
>>>there............
>>>

>>Standing in the road is a simple IQ test.
>>
>>You were saying?
>

> Nothing you would understand....
>

>> Jim E

Wow, do you people know how to bitch pointlessly at each other, or what?

Brique
2005-12-11 10:33:38 EST

> brique wrote:
> > Jim E <YD641387@SEA.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>"brique" <briquenoir@freeuk.c0m> wrote in message

> > protest

> > front

> >>Standing in the road is a simple IQ test.
> >>
> >>You were saying?
> >

> > Nothing you would understand....
> >

> >> Jim E
> >>

> Wow, do you people know how to bitch pointlessly at each other, or what?

Hey, it gave me a moment of mirth, thus it contributed to the gaiety of
nations, which is all that one can ask.....

Dan Clore
2005-12-12 23:38:42 EST
Duly Appointed Bitchslapper wrote:
> "brique" <briquenoir@freeuk.c0m> wrote in message
>>Jim E <YD641387@SEA.net> wrote in message
>>>"Eli Gottlieb" <eligottlieb@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>I see they still don't have an IQ qualification to drive a truck over
>
> Correction: they don't have one to be in an anti-globalization protest.

So what's your IQ, Stan Rothwell of San Diego?

--
Dan Clore

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1587154838/thedanclorenecro/