Activism Discussion: SECRET Halliburton 500 Page Document To Loot LOOT IRAQI OIL

SECRET Halliburton 500 Page Document To Loot LOOT IRAQI OIL
Posts: 12

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)

Policy
2005-12-28 17:34:44 EST
Menace that was, and is, Cheney

By Maureen Dowd, NY Times

Washington: We start the new year with the same old fear: Dick Cheney.
The vice president, who believes in unwarranted, unlimited snooping, is so
pathologically secretive that if you use Google Earth's database to see his
official residence, the view is scrambled and obscured. You can view
satellite photos of the White House, the Pentagon and the Capitol - but not
of the Lord of the Underworld's lair.

Vice is literally a shadow President. He's obsessive about privacy -
but, unfortunately, only his own. Google Earth users alerted the New York
Times to this latest bit of Cheney concealment after a front-page story last
week about the international fears inspired by free Google software that
features detailed displays of things like government and military sites
around the world.

"For a brief period," they reported, "photos of the White House and
adjacent buildings that the United States Geological Survey provided to
Google Earth showed up with certain details obscured." So Google replaced
those images with unaltered photographs taken by a private company. Even
though the story did not mention the Cheney residence - and even though it's
not near the White House - the Times ran a clarifying correction on Tuesday
that said, "The view of the vice president's residence in Washington remains
obscured."

Fitting, since Vice has turned America into a camera obscura, a dark
chamber with a lens that turns things upside down. Guys argue that women
tend to stew and hold grudges more, sometimes popping up to blow the whistle
on a man's bad behaviour years later, like a missile out of the night, as
Alan Simpson said of Anita Hill.

Yet look at Cheney and Rummy. Their steroid-infused power grabs stem
from their years stewing in the Ford White House, a time when they felt
emasculated because they were stripped of prerogatives. Rummy, a Ford chief
of staff who became defence secretary, and his prot\ufffdg\ufffd, Cheney, who
succeeded him as chief of staff, felt diminished by the post-Watergate laws
and reforms that reduced the executive branch's ability to be secretive and
unilateral, tilting power back toward Congress.

The '70s were also a heady period for the press, which reached the
zenith of its power when it swayed public opinion on Vietnam and exposed
Watergate. Reporters got greater access to government secrets with a
stronger Freedom of Information Act. Chenrummy thought the press was
running amok, that leaks should be plugged and that Congress was snatching
power that rightfully belonged to the White House.

So these two crusty pals spent 30 years dreaming of inflating the
deflated presidential muscularity. Cheney christened himself vice president
and brought in Rummy for the most ridiculously pumped-up presidency ever.
All this was fine with W., whose family motto is: "We know best. Trust us."
The two regents turned back the clock to the Nixon era, bringing back
presidential excesses like wiretapping along with presidential power. As
attorney general, John Ashcroft clamped down on the Freedom of Information
Act.

For two years, the Pentagon has been sitting on a request from the
Times' Jeff Gerth to cough up a secret 500-page document prepared by
Halliburton on what to do with Iraq's oil industry - a plan it wrote several
months before the invasion of Iraq, and before it got a no-bid contract to
implement the plan (and overbill the US). Very convenient.

Defending warrantless wiretapping last week, the vice president spoke
of his distaste for the erosion of presidential authority in the wake of
Watergate and Vietnam. "I do believe that, especially in the day and age we
live in, the nature of the threats we face, it was true during the Cold War,
as well as I think what is true now, the President of the United States
needs to have his constitutional powers unimpaired, if you will, in terms of
the conduct of national security policy," he intoned. Translation: Back off,
Congress and the press.

Checks, balances, warrants, civil liberties - they're all so 20th
century. Historians must now regard the light transitional tenure of Gerald
Ford as the petri dish of this darkly transformational presidency. Consider
this: When vice president Nelson Rockefeller, supported by Ford, pushed a
plan to have the government help develop alternative sources of energy and
reduce our dependence on oil and Saudi Arabia, guess who helped scotch it?
Dick Cheney. Then and now, the man is a menace.




Robert Sturgeon
2005-12-29 09:38:29 EST
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:34:44 -0800, "policy"
<*y@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Menace that was, and is, Cheney
>
> By Maureen Dowd, NY Times

who has obviously gone over the edge...

(hit piece, snipped)

--
Robert Sturgeon
Summum ius summa inuria.
http://www.vistech.net/users/rsturge/

Bruce Scott TOK
2005-12-29 10:10:05 EST
Robert Sturgeon wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:34:44 -0800, "policy"
><policy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Menace that was, and is, Cheney
>>
>> By Maureen Dowd, NY Times
>
>who has obviously gone over the edge...
>
>(hit piece, snipped)

A bit juicy I agree, but her characterisation of Cheney is spot on.

Too bad the Press only does its job when doing that is judged "safe".

Many of us knew this stuff a long time ago... the time for the Press to
get going on this was 2002, when it would have made more of a
difference. Even 2004, but no they had to wait until after the election
was assured.

The Times is merely putting on appearances; they lost their credibility
a long time ago. They can still be counted upon to go to bat for the
Government, and to criticise only individuals whom have been decided
upon to have become expendable.

--
ciao,
Bruce

drift wave turbulence: http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/


Stan De SD
2005-12-29 19:34:27 EST
I used to think that Maureen Dowd was merely another strident liberal, whom
I merely disagreed with on several issues. Now it's pretty clear that she
has turned into a total kook... :O|

"policy" <policy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:dov40d$ktb$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> Menace that was, and is, Cheney
>
> By Maureen Dowd, NY Times
>
> Washington: We start the new year with the same old fear: Dick
Cheney.
> The vice president, who believes in unwarranted, unlimited snooping, is so
> pathologically secretive that if you use Google Earth's database to see
his
> official residence, the view is scrambled and obscured. You can view
> satellite photos of the White House, the Pentagon and the Capitol - but
not
> of the Lord of the Underworld's lair.
>
> Vice is literally a shadow President. He's obsessive about privacy -
> but, unfortunately, only his own. Google Earth users alerted the New York
> Times to this latest bit of Cheney concealment after a front-page story
last
> week about the international fears inspired by free Google software that
> features detailed displays of things like government and military sites
> around the world.
>
> "For a brief period," they reported, "photos of the White House and
> adjacent buildings that the United States Geological Survey provided to
> Google Earth showed up with certain details obscured." So Google replaced
> those images with unaltered photographs taken by a private company. Even
> though the story did not mention the Cheney residence - and even though
it's
> not near the White House - the Times ran a clarifying correction on
Tuesday
> that said, "The view of the vice president's residence in Washington
remains
> obscured."
>
> Fitting, since Vice has turned America into a camera obscura, a dark
> chamber with a lens that turns things upside down. Guys argue that women
> tend to stew and hold grudges more, sometimes popping up to blow the
whistle
> on a man's bad behaviour years later, like a missile out of the night, as
> Alan Simpson said of Anita Hill.
>
> Yet look at Cheney and Rummy. Their steroid-infused power grabs stem
> from their years stewing in the Ford White House, a time when they felt
> emasculated because they were stripped of prerogatives. Rummy, a Ford
chief
> of staff who became defence secretary, and his prot\ufffdg\ufffd, Cheney, who
> succeeded him as chief of staff, felt diminished by the post-Watergate
laws
> and reforms that reduced the executive branch's ability to be secretive
and
> unilateral, tilting power back toward Congress.
>
> The '70s were also a heady period for the press, which reached the
> zenith of its power when it swayed public opinion on Vietnam and exposed
> Watergate. Reporters got greater access to government secrets with a
> stronger Freedom of Information Act. Chenrummy thought the press was
> running amok, that leaks should be plugged and that Congress was snatching
> power that rightfully belonged to the White House.
>
> So these two crusty pals spent 30 years dreaming of inflating the
> deflated presidential muscularity. Cheney christened himself vice
president
> and brought in Rummy for the most ridiculously pumped-up presidency ever.
> All this was fine with W., whose family motto is: "We know best. Trust
us."
> The two regents turned back the clock to the Nixon era, bringing back
> presidential excesses like wiretapping along with presidential power. As
> attorney general, John Ashcroft clamped down on the Freedom of Information
> Act.
>
> For two years, the Pentagon has been sitting on a request from the
> Times' Jeff Gerth to cough up a secret 500-page document prepared by
> Halliburton on what to do with Iraq's oil industry - a plan it wrote
several
> months before the invasion of Iraq, and before it got a no-bid contract to
> implement the plan (and overbill the US). Very convenient.
>
> Defending warrantless wiretapping last week, the vice president
spoke
> of his distaste for the erosion of presidential authority in the wake of
> Watergate and Vietnam. "I do believe that, especially in the day and age
we
> live in, the nature of the threats we face, it was true during the Cold
War,
> as well as I think what is true now, the President of the United States
> needs to have his constitutional powers unimpaired, if you will, in terms
of
> the conduct of national security policy," he intoned. Translation: Back
off,
> Congress and the press.
>
> Checks, balances, warrants, civil liberties - they're all so 20th
> century. Historians must now regard the light transitional tenure of
Gerald
> Ford as the petri dish of this darkly transformational presidency.
Consider
> this: When vice president Nelson Rockefeller, supported by Ford, pushed a
> plan to have the government help develop alternative sources of energy and
> reduce our dependence on oil and Saudi Arabia, guess who helped scotch it?
> Dick Cheney. Then and now, the man is a menace.
>
>
>



Robert Sturgeon
2005-12-29 21:00:01 EST
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:10:05 +0100 (MET), Bruce Scott TOK
<Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:

>Robert Sturgeon wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:34:44 -0800, "policy"
>><policy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Menace that was, and is, Cheney
>>>
>>> By Maureen Dowd, NY Times
>>
>>who has obviously gone over the edge...
>>
>>(hit piece, snipped)
>
>A bit juicy I agree, but her characterisation of Cheney is spot on.

It's a pile of bullshit.

(rest snipped)

--
Robert Sturgeon
Summum ius summa inuria.
http://www.vistech.net/users/rsturge/

Policy
2005-12-29 21:07:41 EST

"Robert Sturgeon" <rsturge@inreach.com> wrote in message
news:b459r11ckdkpt4pt07ve6mt77c54qlnpo8@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:10:05 +0100 (MET), Bruce Scott TOK
> <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:
>
>>Robert Sturgeon wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:34:44 -0800, "policy"
>>><policy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Menace that was, and is, Cheney
>>>>
>>>> By Maureen Dowd, NY Times
>>>
>>>who has obviously gone over the edge...
>>>
>>>(hit piece, snipped)
>>
>>A bit juicy I agree, but her characterisation of Cheney is spot on.
>
> It's a pile of bullshit.
>
> (rest snipped)
>
> --
> Robert Sturgeon
> Summum ius summa inuria.
> http://www.vistech.net/users/rsturge/




Anything the christian fundamentalists dont like is bullshit.



Gunner Asch
2005-12-29 21:41:14 EST
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:07:41 -0800, "policy" <policy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>
>"Robert Sturgeon" <rsturge@inreach.com> wrote in message
>news:b459r11ckdkpt4pt07ve6mt77c54qlnpo8@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:10:05 +0100 (MET), Bruce Scott TOK
>> <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:
>>
>>>Robert Sturgeon wrote:
>>>
>>>>On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:34:44 -0800, "policy"
>>>><policy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Menace that was, and is, Cheney
>>>>>
>>>>> By Maureen Dowd, NY Times
>>>>
>>>>who has obviously gone over the edge...
>>>>
>>>>(hit piece, snipped)
>>>
>>>A bit juicy I agree, but her characterisation of Cheney is spot on.
>>
>> It's a pile of bullshit.
>>
>> (rest snipped)
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sturgeon
>> Summum ius summa inuria.
>> http://www.vistech.net/users/rsturge/
>
>
>
>
>Anything the christian fundamentalists dont like is bullshit.
>
Its utter bullshit.

Gunner, Buddhist


"Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire.
Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us)
off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give
them self determination under "play nice" rules.

Think of it as having your older brother knock the shit out of you
for torturing the cat." Gunner

TwistyCreek
2005-12-30 00:58:47 EST
policy wrote:


>>>>> Menace that was, and is, Cheney
>>>>>
>>>>> By Maureen Dowd, NY Times
>>>>
>>>>who has obviously gone over the edge...
>>>>
>>>>(hit piece, snipped)
>>>
>>>A bit juicy I agree, but her characterisation of Cheney is spot on.
>>
>> It's a pile of bullshit.
>>
>> (rest snipped)
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sturgeon
>> Summum ius summa inuria.
>> http://www.vistech.net/users/rsturge/
>
> Anything the christian fundamentalists dont like is bullshit.

It's a heaping pile of steaming bullshit.

I'm an Atheist.




Stan De SD
2005-12-30 07:05:17 EST
Sounds just as plausible, fruitcake...



Gio Medici
2005-12-30 09:57:20 EST
Robert Sturgeon <rsturge@inreach.com> wrote:

>>>> Menace that was, and is, Cheney
>>>>
>>>> By Maureen Dowd, NY Times
>>>
>>>who has obviously gone over the edge...
>>>
>>>(hit piece, snipped)
>>
>>A bit juicy I agree, but her characterisation of Cheney is spot on.
>
>It's a pile of bullshit.

The part about Nelson Rockefeller being a good guy is pretty funny.
But that's how it goes with politicians and their ass-sucking
remora...... a poison pill in every sundae.

Gio
Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)


2021 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron