Activism Discussion: Why Are So Many People Getting Cancer?

Why Are So Many People Getting Cancer?

Annie Birdsong
2006-01-14 20:40:36 EST
My mother's friend wonders what she did to get
cancer. She has tried to eat healthy.

She probably has no idea the vast array of chemicals
businesses are dumping down the drain into the water
body she drinks from.

In one Canadian city, businesses are dumping 40,000
chemicals into the waterway, many of which are
showing up in the tissues of the beluga whales.

Even heavy metals such as mercury, lead, cadmium
and zinc are making their way into the waterways where
drinking water is extracted.

Cadmium leaches the calcium out of bones, making
them soft. Lead can affect the temperament and
bring out delinquent behavior in children. Mercury can
make people shake.

I get water from a machine for 39 cents a gallon at
MOM's (My Organic Market) in College Park. This
is tap water that is put through reverse osmosis, which
is state of the art membrane filter.

I bring my own containers -- two five gallon jugs, which
means I get 10 gallons a week for a total of $4.00.

Every school and every grocery store should have
this machine -- for the health of the people.

---------------------------------------

In Portland, Oregon, people are not waiting on the
government or nonprofit organizations to take action.

They get together with people of like mind and invite
speakers to come and educate them on topics. They
do their own publicity and find their own meeting
spaces.

There is a film and discussion, book discussion or
lecture almost every night of the week there.

Did you ever watch Fiddler on the Roof? I love this movie
and these Jewish folk dances.

Years ago, I decided I wanted the people in the church
I attended to learn these dances, so I invited this student
I knew who studies dance to come and teach them to
us. He said yes. I was surprised at the large number
of people who showed up.

Unfortunately, this church was having some internal problems
and closed not long after this, so the people all went their
own way and that was the end of our dance classes.

But wouldn't it be wonderful to incorporate these dances
into your community?

When I was grewing up, many people I knew shunned
dancing since there are often unwholesome movements
in dances. I grew up thinking dancing was evil. But I
think dancing can be very wholesome and a compliment
to the social life of churches.

In Birmingham, my friends and I often visited a church
where they used dance as a part of the services. There
would be four or five or six ladies in white dresses doing
lovely dances. I think they were Jewish folk dances.

Leftists = Traitors
2006-01-14 20:46:17 EST
You are full of crap (no joke intended). MDS Sciex tested Toronto
water using mass spectrometers from about 50 different sources and
found virtually no organic or inorganic contamination.
You know what they did find? Strontium 90. This potential carcinogen
is the remnant of nuclear tests in the 1950s and 1960s and is a
contaminant in most of the World's exposed fresh water bodies.
However, it is at such a low level of contamination it cannot be
the cause of any cancer we may be experiencing.
Cancer, like most diseases are highly genetically-disposed, meaning
that a person's genetics determines if they will get it. Search your
family tree, see what they all died of.
Cancinogens can only at as "catalysts" to start the cancer process in
those genetically-predisposed to get cancer.

V*@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
2006-01-14 21:02:13 EST

The biggest carcinogens are naturally occuring.

We cured so many other diseases that folks
live on to notice they had cancer.

Then again, you're so nuts, you
won't let the facts confuse you.

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
Pataki+JebBush in 2008!

Steve
2006-01-14 21:21:38 EST
Annie Birdsong wrote:

> My mother's friend wonders what she did to get
> cancer. She has tried to eat healthy.
>
> She probably has no idea the vast array of chemicals
> businesses are dumping down the drain into the water
> body she drinks from.

A lot of people get cancer becasue they don't read and follow the usage
instructions of hazardous materials they buy and use.

I know a guy who, along with his borther, used to go out with a 15 liter
backpack on and spray herbicides for hours each day in rough hilly country
where tractors andvehicles could not go.

It was hot work, so he did not wear the long pants, long sleeve shirt and
hand and head gear that was supposed to be used. No respirator, either.

Worse, his backpack had a slight leak and he said he found it refreshing to
have the steady stream of herbicide dribbling down his back keeping him
cool.

His brother died of cancer in his late 40's and this guy is now fighting
cancer himself in his early 60s.

Steve
2006-01-14 21:24:01 EST
Leftists = traitors wrote:

> Cancinogens can only at as "catalysts" to start the cancer process in
> those genetically-predisposed to get cancer.

A catalyst is something that enables a process, but is not itself changed by
that process.

Dismissing carcinogens a only catalysts is misleading.

The precise chemistry isn't relevant if the thing gives you cancer.

Leftists = Traitors
2006-01-14 21:34:27 EST
The biggest con on Earth is that carcinogens are present in large
quanities in most
major urban centre water supplies. Rather than actually trying to
verify this, the average
person is content to believe the B.S. propaganda put out by outfits who
benefit from it.
Like the multi-billion dollar bottled water industry who produce more
pollution (via plastic
bottles by the hundreds of millions) than any source they claim is bad
for you.
This same industry routinely sells water obtained from sources that
contain high amounts
of lead, arsenic or radioactive by-products. The largest one in Canada
even uses TAP water, which has only be rudimentarily filtered and claim
it's "pure." An amazing scam,
$2/bottle for tap water.

Bill Bonde 'Soli Deo Gloria'
2006-01-14 21:55:06 EST

Annie Birdsong wrote:

> My mother's friend wonders what she did to get
> cancer. She has tried to eat healthy.

Do you think that disease is nature's way of saying you did something
wrong?

--
"He named his second child Jim after the horse that had brought him to
Washington. He caught his son one day writing 'James' on his lessons,

A*@yahoo.com
2006-01-14 22:00:02 EST

Leftists = traitors wrote:
> You are full of crap (no joke intended). MDS Sciex tested Toronto
> water using mass spectrometers from about 50 different sources and
> found virtually no organic or inorganic contamination.
> You know what they did find? Strontium 90. This potential carcinogen
> is the remnant of nuclear tests in the 1950s and 1960s and is a
> contaminant in most of the World's exposed fresh water bodies.
> However, it is at such a low level of contamination it cannot be
> the cause of any cancer we may be experiencing.
> Cancer, like most diseases are highly genetically-disposed, meaning
> that a person's genetics determines if they will get it. Search your
> family tree, see what they all died of.
> Cancinogens can only at as "catalysts" to start the cancer process in
> those genetically-predisposed to get cancer.

While I agree with your screen name, I must disagree with your
assessment of cancer being a genetic disorder.

Cancer rates in different countries for specific cancers can vary
greatly. But when foreigners from those countries move to the US their
cancer rates approach those of the US. By the second generation, the
comparative rates are indistinguishable.

Cancer is a lifestyle disease. Excess drinking, smoking, and eating a
typical American diet all increase the chances of cancer. Pollutants,
such as living near major industry and nuclear plants also contribute.

By the way, there is recent evidence that adequate levels of "B"
Vitamins and some amino acids are protect against some genetic
disorders from expressing while deficiencies can promote genetic damage
which promotes so-called genetic disorders.

2006-01-15 00:37:08 EST
Because they are LIVING LONG ENOUGH. Cancer is - overwhelmingly - a
disease of older age. When American life expectance was well below 65
through much of the 20th century, people just were much more likely to
die of anything else beforehand.

Gerry
2006-01-15 01:10:08 EST
I am not sure of the connection between cancer rates and dancing, there
may be one just as practicing tai chi, with its rhythmic movements that
are good for your health but, as to your original comment on cancer:
When epidemiologists check out an area, they look for "hot spots" where
a disease is most prevalent. In 19th century London, a doctor noted
the correlation between those using a water outlet to get their water
and cholera. He made the connection, and London authorities embarked
on a very expensive project to sewer the city and build water plants to
treat the effluent. The applicable words for today are "very
expensive." Public Health is not a priority for the Federal
government, just as levee inspections were not a high priority in New
Orleans before the city was flooded out. You are on your own. Try to
avoid stress, don't join the Army, Iraq is a bad place to be,
healthwise, and don't rely on any information you see in these
postings. A catalyst is a reagent or substance that speeds up a
chemical reaction with no change to itself, like the chlorine in the
upper atmosphere that destroys ozone. Workers who handle insecticides
are at risk, such as the crop dusting plane pilot in "North by
Northwest" about whom the guy getting on the bus told Cary Grant, "they
can make a lot of money if they live long enough" or words to that
effect. So, stay away from insecticides and homicidal crop dusters.
Also ignore the advice from with names like Leftists = traitors, who
spell carcinogens as cancinogens. Paging the English as Second
Language people, we have a real candidate for the junk mail you send
me. The answer booth is closed. You can now dance the night away.
Good luck.