Activism Discussion: Solar Power Breakthrough!

Solar Power Breakthrough!

Solar Flare
2006-02-17 03:52:26 EST
Probably much cheaper than "silicone" panels for
sure...LOL

> > One more embarassment for America, which would
rather spend its resources
> on
> > military aggression and world domination than on
the solution to global
> > warming and the betterment of humanity!
> > -------------------------------------
> > South African Solar Research
> > Eclipses Rest Of The World
> > by Willem Steenkamp, February 11 2006
> >
> > In a scientific breakthrough that has stunned the
world, a team of South
> > African scientists has developed a revolutionary
new, highly efficient
> solar
> > power technology that will enable homes to obtain
all their electricity
> from
> > the sun.
> >
> > This means high electricity bills and frequent
power failures could soon
> be
> > a thing of the past.
> >
> > The unique South African-developed solar panels
will make it possible for
> > houses to become completely self-sufficient for
energy supplies.

> > The panels are able to generate enough energy to
run stoves, geysers,
> > lights, TVs, fridges, computers - in short all the
mod-cons of the modern
> > house.
>

> Lets see South Africa and no mention of a/c.
Starting motors even small

http://www.aps.com/my_community/STARtour/default.html?seq=1
> This is one of the premier solar sites in the world,
just a few miles away
> from my home. These guys are using every technology
that there is. A lot of
> it can not handle the Arizona sun for very many
years.

> I noticed in your post you fail to mention the cost
of this "new
> technology". Or should I hold my breath until it is
available.

Freedom Fighter
2006-02-17 16:48:14 EST
[...]

The new technology should be available in South Africa within a year and
through a special converter, energy can be fed directly into the wiring of
existing houses. New powerful storage units will allow energy storage to
meet demands even in winter. The panels are so efficient they can operate
through a Cape Town winter. While direct sunlight is ideal for high-energy
generation, other daytime light also generates energy via the panels.

A team of scientists led by University of Johannesburg (formerly Rand
Afrikaans University) scientist Professor Vivian Alberts achieved the
breakthrough after 10 years of research. The South African technology has
now been patented across the world.

One of the world leaders in solar energy, German company IFE Solar Systems,
has invested more than $500-million in the South African invention and is
set to manufacture 500,000 of the panels before the end of the year at a new
plant in Germany.

Production will start next month and the factory will run 24 hours a day,
producing more than 1,000 panels a day to meet expected demand.

Another large German solar company is negotiating with the South African
inventors for rights to the technology, while a South African consortium of
businesses are keen to build local factories.

The new, highly efficient and cheap alloy solar panel is much more efficient
than the costly old silicone solar panels.

International experts have admitted that nothing else comes close to the
effectiveness of the South African invention.

The South African solar panels consist of a thin layer of a unique metal
alloy that converts light into energy. The photo-responsive alloy can
operate on virtually all flexible surfaces, which means it could in future
find a host of other applications.

Alberts said the new panels are approximately five microns thick (a human
hair is 20 microns thick) while the older silicon panels are 350 microns
thick. the cost of the South African technology is a fraction of the less
effective silicone solar panels.

Alberts said in Switzerland it was already compulsory for all new houses to
include solar technology to lessen energy demands on national grids.

"And that was the older, less effective technology. With our hours of
sunlight, we will on average generate twice as much energy than, for
instance, European countries."

While South African scientists developed and patented the new,
super-effective alloy solar panels, other companies have developed new,
super-efficient storage batteries and special converters to change the
energy into the power source of a particular country (220 volts in South
Africa).

Eskom spokesperson Carin de Villiers said any new power supply that lessened
the load on Eskom was to be welcomed.

She said Eskom was also doing its own research on solar energy.

"In fact, we are currently investigating building what will probably be the
largest solar power plant, in the Northern Cape - a 100-megawatt facility."

She added that Eskom was also researching wind and fuel-cell technology as
alternative energy sources.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/ceezt

Windsun
2006-02-17 17:05:32 EST
Yeah, sure.. I believe it.

Only seen these kind of blurbs about 500 times in the past 25years.

And still waiting....

"Freedom Fighter" <liberty@once.net> wrote in message
> One more embarassment for America, which would rather spend its resources
> on military aggression and world domination than on the solution to global
> warming and the betterment of humanity!
> -------------------------------------

Wmbjk
2006-02-17 17:34:30 EST
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:05:32 GMT, "Windsun" <wind-sun@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Yeah, sure.. I believe it.
>
>Only seen these kind of blurbs about 500 times in the past 25years.
>
>And still waiting....

That reminds me. The Sunballs were supposed to start shipping this
month. Has anyone reading taken delivery yet? ;-)

Wayne

SQLit
2006-02-17 18:05:44 EST

"Freedom Fighter" <liberty@once.net> wrote in message
> One more embarassment for America, which would rather spend its resources
on
> military aggression and world domination than on the solution to global
> warming and the betterment of humanity!
> -------------------------------------
> South African Solar Research
> Eclipses Rest Of The World
> by Willem Steenkamp, February 11 2006
>
> In a scientific breakthrough that has stunned the world, a team of South
> African scientists has developed a revolutionary new, highly efficient
solar
> power technology that will enable homes to obtain all their electricity
from
> the sun.
>
> This means high electricity bills and frequent power failures could soon
be
> a thing of the past.
>
> The unique South African-developed solar panels will make it possible for
> houses to become completely self-sufficient for energy supplies.
>
> The panels are able to generate enough energy to run stoves, geysers,
> lights, TVs, fridges, computers - in short all the mod-cons of the modern
> house.

Lets see South Africa and no mention of a/c. Starting motors even small
ones on solar can be a real problem.
http://www.aps.com/my_community/STARtour/default.html?seq=1
This is one of the premier solar sites in the world, just a few miles away
from my home. These guys are using every technology that there is. A lot of
it can not handle the Arizona sun for very many years.

I noticed in your post you fail to mention the cost of this "new
technology". Or should I hold my breath until it is available.

Roy. Just Roy.
2006-02-17 18:24:07 EST
> That reminds me. The Sunballs were supposed to start shipping this
month. Has anyone reading taken delivery yet? ;-)

Well, production was supposed to be funded by the Minister of Finance
in Nigeria - unfortunately his untimely death has left the sum of $500
million US trapped in a Swiss bank without a means to transfer the
money to South Africa. All they need is your bank account number to
route the money through, and they can start funding the new technology
immediately ...

/Roy

TRecupero
2006-02-17 18:38:34 EST
What's that smell? Anybody else smell cows, or bulls for that matter?

> [...]
> instance, European countries."
>
> While South African scientists developed and patented the new,
> super-effective alloy solar panels, other companies have developed new,
> super-efficient storage batteries and special converters to change the
> energy into the power source of a particular country (220 volts in South
> Africa).
>
> Eskom spokesperson Carin de Villiers said any new power supply that
lessened
> the load on Eskom was to be welcomed.
>
> She said Eskom was also doing its own research on solar energy.
>
> "In fact, we are currently investigating building what will probably be
the
> largest solar power plant, in the Northern Cape - a 100-megawatt
facility."

> She added that Eskom was also researching wind and fuel-cell technology as

2006-02-17 18:42:01 EST
Anybody else smell cows, or bulls? Yup, they developed this between hanging
a gasoline soaked tire around the neck of some poor hardworking bastard and
asking the UN for more money.

> [...]
> instance, European countries."
>
> While South African scientists developed and patented the new,
> super-effective alloy solar panels, other companies have developed new,
> super-efficient storage batteries and special converters to change the
> energy into the power source of a particular country (220 volts in South
> Africa).
>
> Eskom spokesperson Carin de Villiers said any new power supply that
lessened
> the load on Eskom was to be welcomed.
>
> She said Eskom was also doing its own research on solar energy.
>
> "In fact, we are currently investigating building what will probably be
the
> largest solar power plant, in the Northern Cape - a 100-megawatt
facility."

> She added that Eskom was also researching wind and fuel-cell technology as

M*@care2.com
2006-02-17 21:35:34 EST
SQLit wrote:

> Lets see South Africa and no mention of a/c.

not much a/c out there, the average consumption per household is 50w.

> I noticed in your post you fail to mention the cost of this "new
> technology". Or should I hold my breath until it is available.

nor its efficiency, kind of a key omission. Nor what the new battery
technology is, where it came from, or anything else about it.

But more oddly, also no address of where to send first purchase money
or investment money.

NT

Orval Fairbairn
2006-02-18 14:33:36 EST
In article <1140218647.143708.170710@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Roy. Just Roy." <delduck3@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > That reminds me. The Sunballs were supposed to start shipping this
> month. Has anyone reading taken delivery yet? ;-)
>
> Well, production was supposed to be funded by the Minister of Finance
> in Nigeria - unfortunately his untimely death has left the sum of $500
> million US trapped in a Swiss bank without a means to transfer the
> money to South Africa. All they need is your bank account number to
> route the money through, and they can start funding the new technology
> immediately ...
>
> /Roy

There is a strike in the balonium mines, and the unobtanium supply has
too many impurities.