Activism Discussion: Henry Rollins, Suspected Terrorist

Henry Rollins, Suspected Terrorist
Posts: 10

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Dan Clore
2006-02-22 18:57:44 EST
News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo

*****

MTV News
Rollins Angry About Terror Accusation, Stoked About Talk Show
02.21.2006 2:49 PM EST

Passenger on flight to Australia reported singer for reading
book on militant Islam.

Henry Rollins has been getting a lot of attention these days
from the Australian media -- after all, it's not every day
that some American punk icon calls Australia's prime
minister a "sissy."

While it hasn't been the kind of attention most celebrities
would welcome, Rollins -- who tread the boards with seminal
hardcore tsunami Black Flag before launching his own
hard-rock conglomeration, Rollins Band -- is relishing it.
"Well, it isn't the worst thing I could have said," he
explained. "I have called the president of the United States
a whole lot worse."

Prime Minister John Howard caught Hank's wrath during the
rocker's most recent trip to Australia. On the flight from
New Zealand, Rollins said he was reading a copy of Wall
Street Journal correspondent Ahmed Rashid's book "Jihad: The
Rise of Militant Islam in Central Asia." The man sitting
next to him took objection to the book and reported Rollins
to the Australian government.

"The guy phoned me in to their, like, anti-terrorist board,
and they found me -- they looked me up," he said. "They
looked up the flight and found out who was sitting in seat
10A and they got to me. And they said, 'OK, you're now a
person of interest. The man next to you does not agree with
your politics and he didn't like the book you were reading.'
This kind of provocation, I don't respond very well to. I
was furious. And so I wrote back, 'You can tell everyone at
your office, including your boss, to go f--- themselves.
This book has been read by a ton of people -- I am not a
threat to your state or any state or any republic.'"

In the actual text of his online response, Rollins added:
"Baghdad's safer than my hometown, and your PM is a sissy."

Rollins said he isn't sure he'll ever be able to return to
Australia. That doesn't upset him all that much. What does
irk him, though, is that he can't take out his frustrations
on the man who reported him as a potential national security
risk.

"He didn't even leave his name and address [when he called],
and that, to me, is pretty cowardly," Rollins said. "The
next time I get out to Australia -- that is, if they let me
in -- I am going to talk about that guy in every interview I
do. And it will get to him. It's a small country, in that
there aren't a lot of people there and most of the country's
just sand and flies. So it will get to him."

Rollins will be doing plenty of interviews Stateside, but on
the other side of the mic, when his weekly talk show "The
Henry Rollins Show" debuts April 1 on the Independent Film
Channel. (Rollins also has a radio program, "Harmony in My
Head," which airs Tuesday nights on Los Angeles' Indie
103.1.) The program, an offshoot of Rollins' old IFC gig,
"Henry's Film Corner," will feature musical guests and
performances as well as interviews with actors, writers,
politicians, thinkers and "people I think have something to
say," he explained.

Rollins said the idea for the program was inspired by the
tons of mail the channel received concerning his monthly
rants during "Henry's Film Corner."

"I had moments where I could just go off on topics, and that
was the stuff that got the most mail," he said. "People
loved our interviews, and then the mail we would get was 'We
like when Henry goes off and tears the president a new one.'
So this time around, the show went from monthly to weekly
and the show's name was changed. And they just said, 'Do
what you want. We trust you, we like you -- go.'"

Musical guests lined up include Frank Black, Death Cab for
Cutie, Dashboard Confessional, Sleater-Kinney and Ben Folds.
Rollins said he's in control of the bulk of the show's
content, which is the only way he'd have it.

"If they didn't let me do what I want, they'd find some
handsome guy with frosted hair who goes, 'Great -- give me
the copy,'" he said. "I don't want to be that guy."

-- Chris Harris, with reporting by Sasha Hamrogue

*****

02/22/06
10:37:15, Categories: Music News
Australian Government Monitors Henry Rollins Due To
Questionable Reading Material

Rocker Henry Rollins is under investigation by the
Australian government after he was spotted reading Ahmed
Rashid's bestselling book "Jihad: The Rise of Militant Islam
in Central Asia" on a recent flight to Brisbane, Australia.
The former Black Flag frontman, 45, was horrified when he
received an e-mail from an Australian government associate
after an ignorant passenger reported the singer/actor's
reading material.

Rollins tells PageSix.com, "Days later I received an e-mail
from a woman who I guess figured out who I was and found me.
I had been named a 'person of interest.' Basically, they get
calls like this every five minutes, and I'm probably on the
'who cares' list, in that they'll probably let me into the
country again. But the fact that this guy could be that
ignorant and call me in on this for a book. I was angry.
Because of the fact that the guy wouldn't confront me. I
like confrontation. If I've offended you, let me know. Don't
call it in and not leave your name. I just think it's pretty
weak."

Rollins was especially baffled by his status amongst
Australian immigration officials because of his past track
record working with U.S. soldiers. He explains, "I do a lot
of work for the USO because soldiers are my heroes. I've
done six USO tours outside of America and a few hospital
visits, and the soldiers are the best. I've been to Iraq,
Afghanistan, Kuwait, Dubai, South Korea, Honduras, Japan,
Egypt and Turkey."

(This news article provided by World Entertainment News Network)

*****

--
Dan Clore

Now available: _The Unspeakable and Others_
http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1587154838/thedanclorenecro
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/
News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo

"Don't just question authority,
Don't forget to question me."
-- Jello Biafra

















Joshua Aaron
2006-02-22 19:46:33 EST
Great post Dan!

Henry Rollins: America requires more patriots such as yourself. We love
you Henry.

Fuck the bullshit. Up with right thing to do right now.


Curly Surmudgeon
2006-02-25 21:54:05 EST
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:57:44 -0800, Dan Clore wrote:
-----------snip--------------
> Rollins was especially baffled by his status amongst
> Australian immigration officials because of his past track
> record working with U.S. soldiers. He explains, "I do a lot
> of work for the USO because soldiers are my heroes. I've
> done six USO tours outside of America and a few hospital
> visits, and the soldiers are the best. I've been to Iraq,
> Afghanistan, Kuwait, Dubai, South Korea, Honduras, Japan,
> Egypt and Turkey."

I hope many more people wind up caught in this meat grinder so a universal
cry arises. I, too, am nailed each and every time I fly in the U.S. for
reasons that escape me, unless it's my website.

Supporting the Constitution and Bill of Rights can land you in jail
nowdays.

-- Regards, Curly
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.curlysurmudgeon.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Stan De SD
2006-02-26 14:42:34 EST

"Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
news:43FCFA78.2090201@columbia-center.org...
> News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
>
> *****
>
> MTV News
> Rollins Angry About Terror Accusation, Stoked About Talk Show
> 02.21.2006 2:49 PM EST
>
> Passenger on flight to Australia reported singer for reading
> book on militant Islam.
>
> Henry Rollins has been getting a lot of attention these days
> from the Australian media -- after all, it's not every day
> that some American punk icon calls Australia's prime
> minister a "sissy."
>
> While it hasn't been the kind of attention most celebrities
> would welcome, Rollins -- who tread the boards with seminal
> hardcore tsunami Black Flag before launching his own
> hard-rock conglomeration, Rollins Band -- is relishing it.
> "Well, it isn't the worst thing I could have said," he
> explained. "I have called the president of the United States
> a whole lot worse."
>
> Prime Minister John Howard caught Hank's wrath during the
> rocker's most recent trip to Australia. On the flight from
> New Zealand, Rollins said he was reading a copy of Wall
> Street Journal correspondent Ahmed Rashid's book "Jihad: The
> Rise of Militant Islam in Central Asia." The man sitting
> next to him took objection to the book and reported Rollins
> to the Australian government.
>
> "The guy phoned me in to their, like, anti-terrorist board,
> and they found me -- they looked me up," he said. "They
> looked up the flight and found out who was sitting in seat
> 10A and they got to me. And they said, 'OK, you're now a
> person of interest. The man next to you does not agree with
> your politics and he didn't like the book you were reading.'
> This kind of provocation, I don't respond very well to. I
> was furious. And so I wrote back, 'You can tell everyone at
> your office, including your boss, to go f--- themselves.
> This book has been read by a ton of people -- I am not a
> threat to your state or any state or any republic.'"

So one passenger is an over-reactive bozo and Rollins blames the entire
Australian govt for it? Rollins sounds like he needs attention too badly, as
if it might be a way to prop up his career or something.

Someone needs to remind this 40-something holdover that he has become
another self-centered narcissist, that punk has become another commodity in
the "alternative music" marketplace, and that Keith Morris was still a
better singer. :O|



Michael Price
2006-02-26 15:39:56 EST
Stan de SD wrote:
> "Dan Clore" <clore@columbia-center.org> wrote in message
> news:43FCFA78.2090201@columbia-center.org...
> > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo
> >
> > *****
> >
> > MTV News
> > Rollins Angry About Terror Accusation, Stoked About Talk Show
> > 02.21.2006 2:49 PM EST
> >
> > Passenger on flight to Australia reported singer for reading
> > book on militant Islam.
> >
> > Henry Rollins has been getting a lot of attention these days
> > from the Australian media -- after all, it's not every day
> > that some American punk icon calls Australia's prime
> > minister a "sissy."
> >
> > While it hasn't been the kind of attention most celebrities
> > would welcome, Rollins -- who tread the boards with seminal
> > hardcore tsunami Black Flag before launching his own
> > hard-rock conglomeration, Rollins Band -- is relishing it.
> > "Well, it isn't the worst thing I could have said," he
> > explained. "I have called the president of the United States
> > a whole lot worse."
> >
> > Prime Minister John Howard caught Hank's wrath during the
> > rocker's most recent trip to Australia. On the flight from
> > New Zealand, Rollins said he was reading a copy of Wall
> > Street Journal correspondent Ahmed Rashid's book "Jihad: The
> > Rise of Militant Islam in Central Asia." The man sitting
> > next to him took objection to the book and reported Rollins
> > to the Australian government.
> >
> > "The guy phoned me in to their, like, anti-terrorist board,
> > and they found me -- they looked me up," he said. "They
> > looked up the flight and found out who was sitting in seat
> > 10A and they got to me. And they said, 'OK, you're now a
> > person of interest. The man next to you does not agree with
> > your politics and he didn't like the book you were reading.'
> > This kind of provocation, I don't respond very well to. I
> > was furious. And so I wrote back, 'You can tell everyone at
> > your office, including your boss, to go f--- themselves.
> > This book has been read by a ton of people -- I am not a
> > threat to your state or any state or any republic.'"
>
> So one passenger is an over-reactive bozo and Rollins blames the entire
> Australian govt for it?

It was the government not the over-reactive bozo that labeled him a
"person
of interest".

> Rollins sounds like he needs attention too badly, as
> if it might be a way to prop up his career or something.
>
His career is fine. I'm not so sure about the career of the
bureaucrat who
phoned him. I mean does it sound like he's on the fast-track?

> Someone needs to remind this 40-something holdover that he has become
> another self-centered narcissist, that punk has become another commodity in
> the "alternative music" marketplace, and that Keith Morris was still a
> better singer. :O|


Mowhak
2006-02-26 15:54:44 EST
Stan de SD wrote:

> So one passenger is an over-reactive bozo and Rollins blames the entire
> Australian govt for it? Rollins sounds like he needs attention too badly, as
> if it might be a way to prop up his career or something.
>
> Someone needs to remind this 40-something holdover that he has become
> another self-centered narcissist, that punk has become another commodity in
> the "alternative music" marketplace,

-ack. But you sound like also having been a member of this group...
Which is perfectly ok with me, as I am one, too =;-)

What I ask myself is if he maybe was just reading his book aloud (which
the press does not make perfectly clear, and besides it would be quite
funny if that was all he did).
I could understand it might disturb s.o., then. It would be getting on
my nerves, too.

> and that Keith Morris was still a
> better singer. :O|

-Circle Jerks and Blag Flag are not to be compared, they are to be
savoured.

möwhäk


HAIL CAESAR BUSH
2006-02-27 00:04:18 EST
mowhak wrote:

> Stan de SD wrote:
>
> > So one passenger is an over-reactive bozo and Rollins blames the entire
> > Australian govt for it? Rollins sounds like he needs attention too badly, as
> > if it might be a way to prop up his career or something.
> >
> > Someone needs to remind this 40-something holdover that he has become
> > another self-centered narcissist, that punk has become another commodity in
> > the "alternative music" marketplace,
>
> -ack. But you sound like also having been a member of this group...
> Which is perfectly ok with me, as I am one, too =;-)
>
> What I ask myself is if he maybe was just reading his book aloud (which
> the press does not make perfectly clear, and besides it would be quite
> funny if that was all he did).
> I could understand it might disturb s.o., then. It would be getting on
> my nerves, too.
>
> > and that Keith Morris was still a
> > better singer. :O|
>
> -Circle Jerks and Blag Flag are not to be compared, they are to be
> savoured.
>
> möwhäk

Here's Henry Rollins website, but it is pretty much impossible that rock musicians
ever turn into terrorists.
http://21361.com/site/main.html

The rock musicians theme of "peace, love and equality" is far from the terrorist
mentality of "bomb people and blow things up then go to heaven".

The average musician's sense of "heaven" is that heaven is within us now. People
can make a good life right here and now, not at some far off point in the future.

This is actually what Jesus meant when he said "The kingdom of heaven is within
you now".



Gene Graves
2006-02-28 19:04:31 EST



> and that Keith Morris was still a
> better singer. :O|

-Circle Jerks and Blag Flag are not to be compared, they are to be
savoured.

m\ufffdwh\ufffdk


Dude,

Henry Rollins was the singer of the Circle Jerks and Minor Threat.
Jesus, any idiot knows that.

Gene



Mowhak
2006-03-01 05:10:01 EST

gene graves schrieb:

> > and that Keith Morris was still a
> > better singer. :O|
>
> -Circle Jerks and Blag Flag are not to be compared, they are to be
> savoured.
>
> möwhäk
>
>
> Dude,
>
> Henry Rollins was the singer of the Circle Jerks and Minor Threat.
> Jesus, any idiot knows that.

-but wasn't Minor Threat the singer of Ian McKaye? Confusing....

möwhäk


^'^BatAttaK^'^
2006-03-02 02:08:12 EST
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 00:04:31 GMT, "gene graves"
<*3@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>Dude,
>
>Henry Rollins was the singer of the Circle Jerks and Minor Threat.
>Jesus, any idiot knows that.
>
>Gene


BWAAAHAHAHA!!! You crack me up!





http://www.feeds4all.nl/FeedDetails.aspx?FeedID=51061

http://home.austarnet.com.au/stear/aig_ham_appendix.htm

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/other-links-cre.html

http://6-bleen-7.livejournal.com/32819.html


Page: 1   (First | Last)


2021 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron