Activism Discussion: Another Academic Casualty

Another Academic Casualty

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Next  (First | Last)

Stan De SD
2006-02-26 22:42:46 EST
Another academic casualty
Feb 23, 2006
by Thomas Sowell

The resignation of Lawrence Summers as president of Harvard University tells
us a lot about what is wrong with academia today.
When he took office in 2001, Summers seemed like an ideal president of
Harvard. He had had a distinguished career in and out of the academic world,
including having been a professor at Harvard, so there was no obvious reason
why he would not fit in.

His fatal flaws were honesty and a desire to do the right thing. That has
ruined more than one academic career.

Dr. Summers' problems started early on. He called in Cornel West for a
private discussion of West's scholarly activities -- or rather, Professor
West's lack of scholarly activities.

It was not that Cornel West was inactive. He was active as a great showman
on television, he was active in politics, he was active on the lucrative
lecture circuit, and he was even active in entertainment, writing and
performing rap music. He was also popular with students, as any professor
who gives out lots of A's is likely to be.

The kind of activity that Lawrence Summers wanted to see from West was the
kind of activity expected from full professors at a leading university --
scholarly research and writing. Cornel West wrote lots of things in lots of
places but even an editor of the liberal New Republic characterized West's
books as "almost completely worthless."

Although the discussion between Summers and West was private, Cornel West
himself made it a public issue -- and a public scandal. West and his
supporters made this a racial issue. That made facts and logic irrelevant.

Summers apologized.

That should tell us all we need to know about Harvard and about academia in
general. Neither truth nor standards matter when it comes to one of the
ideological raw nerves like race.

Lawrence Summers touched another ideological raw nerve last year, when
discussing why there were not more tenured women professors in science.
Since he was addressing a scholarly symposium, Summers cited hypotheses and
data that might explain the under-representation of women at the top in
science.

Summers advanced what he called "the high-powered job hypothesis." Mothers
have a hard time reaching the top in jobs where people work long hours and
put everything else aside when the job requires it.

He cited another well-known and unchallenged fact. Although women and men
have similar average IQs, men are over-represented at both the lowest and
the highest IQ levels. Men outnumber women among both idiots and geniuses.

Since top scientists are drawn disproportionately from people at the highest
levels, that is another possible factor in differences between women and men
in high-end science.

Summers also cited other factors, including socialization and discrimination
but this did not prevent another ideological firestorm from erupting.
Summers was simply demonized and the faculty turned against him.

The only politically correct explanation is discrimination.

Summer apologized -- again. But, in the end, these hasty retreats did not
save his job.

Despite incessant repetition of the word "diversity" in academe, the tragic
fact is that the academic world is one of the most intolerant places in
America when it comes to diversity of ideas. Even the president of Harvard
dare not step out of line.

Parents pay the kind of money on which whole families could live, in order
to have their children "educated" at elite academic institutions, hearing
only one side of a whole range of issues -- race and sex being just two.

Even if every conclusion with which students are indoctrinated were true,
unless those students develop their own ability to weigh opposing arguments,
these conclusions will become obsolete as new issues arise in the years
ahead. These "educated" people will have developed no ability to analyze
opposing sides of issues.

Students are getting half an education at inflated prices and learning only
how to label, dismiss and demonize ideas that differ from what they have
been led to believe. Their "educated" ignorance is a danger to the future of
this country.

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/thomassowell/2006/02/23/187525.html

Ggg
2006-02-26 23:44:21 EST
who's Thomas Sowell ???

"Stan de SD" <standesd_DIGA_NO_A_SPAM@covad.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> dare not step out of line.
>
> Parents pay the kind of money on which whole families could live, in order
> to have their children "educated" at elite academic institutions, hearing
> only one side of a whole range of issues -- race and sex being just two.
>
> Even if every conclusion with which students are indoctrinated were true,
> unless those students develop their own ability to weigh opposing
> arguments,
> these conclusions will become obsolete as new issues arise in the years
> ahead. These "educated" people will have developed no ability to analyze
> opposing sides of issues.
>
> Students are getting half an education at inflated prices and learning
> only
> how to label, dismiss and demonize ideas that differ from what they have
> been led to believe. Their "educated" ignorance is a danger to the future

H*@mac.com
2006-02-27 00:22:00 EST
ggg wrote:

> who's Thomas Sowell ???

The thing in charge of Stain de STD's brain. Other than Spankodin, of
course.

.
.
.

Leif Erikson
2006-02-27 00:26:58 EST
h*c@mac.com wrote:

> ggg wrote:
>
>>who's Thomas Sowell ???
>

> The thing

As usual, Slick can't address the undeniable issue of
intolerance and bigotry in the liberal academy.

Arthur Stone
2006-02-27 00:56:04 EST

Leif Erikson wrote:
> hc23hc@mac.com wrote:
>
> > ggg wrote:
> >
> >>who's Thomas Sowell ???
> >

> > The thing
>
> As usual, Slick can't address the undeniable issue of
> intolerance and bigotry in the liberal academy.

Ah yes. The liberal academy.

Churning out all those engineers, lawyers, doctors, business persons,
computer types and the like eager and ready to assume their place in
the great machinery of collectivism.

That about right?

Sadly one of the problems Summers had was convincing his star faculty
to actually teach. A problem common everywhere these days.

Stan De SD
2006-02-27 01:04:23 EST

"ggg" <tom0097@comcast.net> wrote in message

> who's Thomas Sowell ???

Who are you?

> [...]
order
> > to have their children "educated" at elite academic institutions,
hearing
> > only one side of a whole range of issues -- race and sex being just two.
> >
> > Even if every conclusion with which students are indoctrinated were
true,
> > unless those students develop their own ability to weigh opposing
> > arguments,
> > these conclusions will become obsolete as new issues arise in the years
> > ahead. These "educated" people will have developed no ability to analyze
> > opposing sides of issues.
> >
> > Students are getting half an education at inflated prices and learning
> > only
> > how to label, dismiss and demonize ideas that differ from what they have
> > been led to believe. Their "educated" ignorance is a danger to the

2006-02-27 01:08:25 EST

"Arthur Stone" <arthurstone309@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Leif Erikson wrote:
> > hc23hc@mac.com wrote:

> > > The thing
> >
> > As usual, Slick can't address the undeniable issue of
> > intolerance and bigotry in the liberal academy.
>

> Ah yes. The liberal academy.
>
> Churning out all those engineers, lawyers, doctors, business persons,
> computer types and the like eager and ready to assume their place in
> the great machinery of collectivism.
>
> That about right?
>
> Sadly one of the problems Summers had was convincing his star faculty
> to actually teach. A problem common everywhere these days.

Thanks to Lefty Liberal types who think that education comes secondary to
"activism". I heard more than one prof type at Cal complaining that his
undergraduate teaching duties took away too much time from his "activism".
Of course, when I challenged him to tell me where "activism" was mandated in
either his job description or the UC Charter, he couldn't answer the
question. All he could do is make the usual "racist/sexist/homophobic"
comments. Liberal want a cracker?

H*@mac.com
2006-02-27 02:42:28 EST
Stain de STD wrote:

> As usual, Slick can't address the undeniable issue of
> intolerance and bigotry in the liberal academy.

The "undeniable issue" ?

You uneducated flabby fascist prick. No, Stain. "Activism" isn't a
dirty word unless you make it one. It comes in all shapes and sizes,
except yours, which means it can't be all bad. Unlike you.

And since you have about as much in common with academia as George W
Bush with Mensa, what you've got (plagiarized from Uncle Tom Sowell) to
say about it isn't exactly Ph.D. thesis material.

.
.
.

Jafo
2006-02-27 07:57:35 EST
As viewed from alt.california, Stan de SD wrote:

>"ggg" wrote...
>>who's Thomas Sowell ???

>Who are you?

Exactly.

Leif Erikson
2006-02-27 10:45:11 EST
Arthur Stone wrote:

> Leif Erikson wrote:
>
>>hc23hc@mac.com wrote:

>>>The thing
>>
>>As usual, Slick can't address the undeniable issue of
>>intolerance and bigotry in the liberal academy.
>

> Ah yes. The liberal academy.
>
> Churning out all those

...sociologists, trial attorneys, psychologists,
educrats, semi-literate wastrels in various "studies"
programs, etc. Yes, the liberal academy. The elite
universities are in the iron grip of far-left rigidly
dogmatic "egalitarians".
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Next  (First | Last)