Activism Discussion: Sea Rise Could Be 'catastrophic'

Sea Rise Could Be 'catastrophic'

I*@economicdemocracy.org
2006-03-23 23:53:55 EST
Sea rise could be 'catastrophic'
By Paul Rincon
BBC News science reporter

Earth could be headed for catastrophic sea level rise in the next few
centuries if greenhouse gases continue to rise at present rates,
experts say.

A study in the US journal Science suggests a threshold triggering a
rise in sea level of several metres could be reached before the end of
the century.

Scientists used an ancient period of warming to predict future changes.

Greenland could be as warm by 2100 as it was 130,000 years ago, when
melting ice raised sea levels by 3-4m.

The implication is that Greenland would - eventually - melt by as much

The findings come from two studies published in Science by Dr Jonathan
Overpeck of the University of Arizona in Tucson and colleagues.

Their computer models show that, in addition to widespread melting of
the Greenland ice sheet, this rate of warming could also lead to the
collapse of about half the West Antarctic ice sheet in 500 years.

Past lessons

Dr Overpeck's team used computer models to simulate the climate 130,000
years ago. Because Earth was tilted slightly more than today on its
axis, more solar radiation hit the northern latitudes, driving warming
there.

The researchers found that melting of the Greenland ice sheet could
have raised sea levels by 2-3.5m. But they also concluded that the rest
could have come from the West Antarctic ice sheet.

It was not as warm here, but much of the ice sheet remains below sea
level. This, they believe, allowed warming ocean waters along with
rising sea levels to destabilise it.

"The simulated climate warming agreed well with the observed climate
warming," Dr Overpeck told the BBC News website, "So we had a firm
estimate of how much warmth was necessary to cause that much sea level
rise."

The researchers then compared this with simulations of future warming
to learn how much sea level rise would be expected in future.

They estimate peak rates of sea level rise exceeding 1m per century.

'Danger zone'

"These processes of rapid ice sheet retreat are already happening. It
just takes a while to get metres of sea level rise. But our study says
that if we warm the Earth by more than two times of pre-industrial
carbon dioxide equivalent levels, we could be entering the danger
zone," said Dr Overpeck.

"The ice sheet retreat and sea level rise on the order of what happened
130,000 years ago is inevitable and irreversible."

Geoscientist Michael Oppenheimer of Princeton University, who is not an
author on the new paper, told Science: "Palaeoclimate always has a
large amount of uncertainty, [but] we should take this as a serious
warning sign. You could lock in a dangerous warming during this
century."

Other work in the journal Science shows "earthquakes" caused by sudden
movement of Greenland's glaciers are rising.

Some of Greenland's glaciers, which are as large as Manhattan and as
tall as the Empire State Building, can move 10m in less than a minute,
according to Harvard University scientists. This jolt is sufficient to
generate seismic waves.

Not only has the frequency of these events increased, but they appear
to occur more frequently in late summer than other parts of the year.

When water accumulates at a glacier's base, it acts as a lubricant
causing large blocks to lurch down valleys.

"Greenland's glaciers deliver large quantities of fresh water to the
oceans, so the implications for climate change are serious. We believe
further warming of the climate is likely to accelerate the behaviour
we've documented, said co-author Meredith Nettles at the Lamont-Doherty
Earth Observatory in New York, US.

=============

DON'T MOURN, ACT! WEBSITES FOR ACTION:

http://www.earthshare.org/get_involved/involved.html

http://www.greenhousenet.org/
http://www.solarcatalyst.com/
http://www.campaignearth.org/buy_green_nativeenergy.asp

Overview and local actions you can take: http://www.PostCarbon.org

=============

= = = =
STILL FEELING LIKE THE MAINSTREAM U.S. CORPORATE MEDIA
IS GIVING A FULL HONEST PICTURE OF WHAT'S GOING ON?
= = = =
Daily online radio show, news reporting: www.DemocracyNow.org
More news: UseNet's misc.activism.progressive (moderated)
= = = =
Sorry, we cannot read/reply to most usenet posts but welcome email
For more information: http://EconomicDemocracy.org/wtc/ (peace)
And http://EconomicDemocracy.org/ (general)

** ANTI-SPAM EMAIL NOTE: For email "info" and "map" DON'T work. Email
instead
** to m-a-i-l-m-a-i-l (without the dashes) at economicdemocracy.org

B1ackwater
2006-03-24 02:15:09 EST
i*o@economicdemocracy.org wrote:

>Sea rise could be 'catastrophic'

"COULD be" ...

Get back to us when you have something more tangible.

* US *
2006-03-24 07:06:25 EST
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:15:09 GMT, Bi1gewater <bw@baarrk.net> wrote:

> Get back to us when you have something more tangible.

Here's your "tangible": you're an idiot.

NobodyYouKnow
2006-03-24 09:17:07 EST

"B1ackwater" <bw@baarrk.net> wrote in message
> info@economicdemocracy.org wrote:
>
> >Sea rise could be 'catastrophic'
>
> "COULD be" ...
>
> Get back to us when you have something more tangible.

I'm sure you say the same when confronted by warnings about your drinking
and driving. After all, the risk of an accident is intangible before it
happens, and then what can you do? And before I go saying anything about
responsible driving, both intoxication and alcohol are NATURAL and thus any
car accident is a NATURAL and not manmade process.

Oh, yeah. We've heard all the weird distorted arguments before. This one
isn't even amusing any more, either in terms of global warming or in terms
of DUI

*@dan.com
2006-03-24 09:56:51 EST
"B1ackwater" <bw@baarrk.net> wrote in message
> info@economicdemocracy.org wrote:
>
>>Sea rise could be 'catastrophic'
>
> "COULD be" ...
>
> Get back to us when you have something more tangible.

Get back to us when you're able to scientifically refute their research.

James
2006-03-24 10:52:04 EST

"NobodyYouKnow" <TheVoiceOfReason@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "B1ackwater" <bw@baarrk.net> wrote in message
> > info@economicdemocracy.org wrote:
> >
> > >Sea rise could be 'catastrophic'
> >
> > "COULD be" ...
> >
> > Get back to us when you have something more tangible.
> >

> I'm sure you say the same when confronted by warnings about your drinking
> and driving. After all, the risk of an accident is intangible before it
> happens, and then what can you do? And before I go saying anything about
> responsible driving, both intoxication and alcohol are NATURAL and thus
any
> car accident is a NATURAL and not manmade process.
>
> Oh, yeah. We've heard all the weird distorted arguments before. This one
> isn't even amusing any more, either in terms of global warming or in terms
> of DUI

reality.sys corrupted
reboot universe? (Y/N) _

Roger Coppock
2006-03-24 11:27:58 EST
> Get back to us when you have something more tangible.
-- B1ackwater

This is could be the very last thing that goes through the
mind of a deer when it stands frozen in the headlights of
an oncoming car.

Roger Coppock
2006-03-24 12:16:58 EST
> Get back to us when you have something more tangible.
-- B1ackwater

This could be the very last thing that goes through the
mind of a deer when it stands frozen in the headlights of
an oncoming car.

Bill Bonde 'Soli Deo Gloria'
2006-03-24 12:52:02 EST

*, US, * wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:15:09 GMT, Bi1gewater <bw@baarrk.net> wrote:
>
> > Get back to us when you have something more tangible.
>
> Here's your "tangible": you're an idiot.

You're a splat.

--
"Throw me that lipstick, darling, I wanna redo my stigmata."

+-Jennifer Saunders, "Absolutely Fabulous"

Bill Bonde 'Soli Deo Gloria'
2006-03-24 12:53:33 EST

NobodyYouKnow wrote:

> "B1ackwater" <bw@baarrk.net> wrote in message
> > info@economicdemocracy.org wrote:
> >
> > >Sea rise could be 'catastrophic'
> >
> > "COULD be" ...
> >
> > Get back to us when you have something more tangible.
> >

> I'm sure you say the same when confronted by warnings about your drinking
> and driving. After all, the risk of an accident is intangible before it
> happens, and then what can you do? And before I go saying anything about
> responsible driving, both intoxication and alcohol are NATURAL and thus any
> car accident is a NATURAL and not manmade process.
>
> Oh, yeah. We've heard all the weird distorted arguments before. This one
> isn't even amusing any more, either in terms of global warming or in terms
> of DUI

Are you worried about potential earth impact asteroids? Are you worried
about them if they get drunk?